The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker

HomeskillitMoorman

3 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Oh I don't disagree... But saying those players i named and saying "inheriting a very talented defense" is absolutely hilarious. 

He can be criticized 100% and he should be. I don't think it's his coaching, i think its his staff management, for the most part. 

Yep I was agreeing with you haha just wanted the other side to know this isn’t a just blind love fest either which seems to be the criticism you get whenever you mention a positive thing related to this team 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Actually the only reason you think  that way is because the Bills have blown teams out with such regularity over the last 3 years and averaged a double digit win every single game over that timeframe in terms of net point differential that we expect it.  But that isn't how 31 other teams live in the NFL.  

This is the equivalent of a super rich person wondering how people can live in houses under 7,000 square feet, do their own cleaning, laundry and gardening and have to drive themselves all over town instead of having a personal driver to take them wherever they want to go.

It just isn't the norm.  

We have been fortunate to play is a garbage division for a long time, I would like to see the scores against teams with winning record. I would bet that it would show a different picture. Have we has some good wins? Absolutely but also have not shown to rise to the level of elite teams that are suppose to be on par with us, when we play elite teams in moments that matter this team wilts.

56 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think you guys have no clue what the necessary work looks like for a HC or coordinator.

Rex Ryan didn't put in the necessary work and it was known.

It's always reasonable to question whether someone at McDermott's level is putting in the RIGHT work - are the film cutups and scouting he's looking at good enough?  Is he focused too much on cutups and not getting a good "gestalt picture"?  Is he focused too much on watching entire games and not delegating/relying on his assistants and "cut ups" enough?  Does he micromanage his OC and DC and overrule them too much?  Is he too "hands off" when he should be stepping in and overruling?  During the game, does he rely on analytics too much?  Or is he too old-fashioned and go with his gut too much?  All fair game to ask and question.

But C'Mon Man, even losing NFL coaches like Spagnuolo with the Rams basically live at the facility Sunday nite through Wednesday during the season and have to schedule family time.  This is a ridiculous take.

Rex Ryan was able to achieve more success in the postseason with Mark Sanchez at QB than McDermott has with Josh Allen....maybe let's try to keep that in mind when we start talking about ridiculous takes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, falgobofu said:

We have been fortunate to play is a garbage division for a long time, I would like to see the scores against teams with winning record. I would bet that it would show a different picture. Have we has some good wins? Absolutely but also have not shown to rise to the level of elite teams that are suppose to be on par with us, when we play elite teams in moments that matter this team wilts.

Seems like most of the struggles are coming in division games lately tbh lol we lost 3 total games last season and 66.6% were divisional 

These threads are absolutely KILLING me lately. I really think most of y'all have an opinion made up in your head about McD and everything he does or doesn't do just reaffirms that. Y'all can't even enjoy a win where we were clearly the better team. The NFL is a game of margins. If the Jordan Phillips sack is rightfully blown dead two seconds before his facemask none of this is even a discussion. This is ridiculous lol.

I'm pretty sure most of you forget how much McD has grown since he's been the coach of the Bills. All of the numbers show how he's grown into an analytically-driven, semi-aggressive head coach. I'm also pretty sure he would be the first person to mention how he needs to continue to grow.

I'm grateful he's our coach. I still think he's the right guy to get us to where we want to go.

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

There’s just so much hyperbole at work on these boards haha like you can be critical of McDermott and still admit he has done a good job developing defensive players.  

the guy has gotten a ton out of pretty low ceiling talent type guys. Doesn’t mean he’s a genius that’s beyond criticism though by any means 

I think you can do that. I would myself say that McDermott has done a good job of developing some lower end guys that people didn't think would be contributors. But you can also say that and admit that his defensive units as a whole give it up consistently when the stage is brightest and the biggest games are on the line. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The current board philosophy is members should start whatever threads they want within very broad guidelines, and how many people choose to respond will select which threads are worthy and stay on the front page, and which fall off

Personally, I think when the front page is littered with
"The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker"

"Why is this team, and staff, so dumb?"

"Sean McDermott is a stupid coach"

"Fitzpatrick's veiled criticism of Dorsey?"

"The Official Fire Ken Dorsey Thread"

etc

it might be time for a bit of pruning because I think when there's too much idiocracy, it drives a number of contributing, smart posters to step out. 

But that's just my opinion, and it's not the current SOP.

This is exactly what I was referring to. 

The one thing I differ on from some others is the individual threads for some of the weekly opinions, reports, film break downs. Obviously every time Keyshawn Johnson makes it clear he didn't watch any football over the weekend, his opinion doesn't need a thread. But I do think there is a spot for Orlovsky, Simms, Warner, Cover 1 etc. who do some actual breakdowns of the game to have their own thread when it comes up. Then have them all get merged into mega thread on gameday.

But that is understandably a bit of work for the mods.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's easy.  It's once we're looking for our next QB after Allen.  

Oh God, lets hope not. 

25 minutes ago, muppy said:

I'm just going to throw this out there regarding McDermott. Perhaps it is simply his mind cannot process quickly while under extreme pressure.

These decisions are necessarily fast to happen in the midst of battle.

an d he pulls the trigger and BLEEP it was not a smart decision.

NFL coaches are paid the big  bucks to be able to deal correctly with such situations.

That would happen a lot less if he was prepared for those situations. 

19 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Funny how they forget, huh? 

I get wanting better but McDermott's COACHING isn't the problem. Like some have alluded too, he gives his coaching staff too long of leashes. Dorsey's leash should be 3 inches long at this point. It is absolutely excusable to have shotgun on 3rd and 4th and 1 for 2 straight weeks, multiple times and not use your 6'5 240lb qb for a sneak .... He has a very limited capacity in run design creativity, as well. 

But that IS on McDermott. Dorsey is his guy that he could have/can replace, that's his leash, and he is in control to override any call he wants. That's part of being a head coach. His coaching IS the problem. 

6 minutes ago, falgobofu said:

We have been fortunate to play is a garbage division for a long time, I would like to see the scores against teams with winning record. I would bet that it would show a different picture. 

How about you do the work yourself instead of throwing out unsubstantiated claims and expecting other folks to do the work to prove you wrong? We'll be here waiting on your results...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

These threads are absolutely KILLING me lately. I really think most of y'all have an opinion made up in your head about McD and everything he does or doesn't do just reaffirms that. Y'all can't even enjoy a win where we were clearly the better team. The NFL is a game of margins. If the Jordan Phillips sack is rightfully blown dead two seconds before his facemask none of this is even a discussion. This is ridiculous lol.

I'm pretty sure most of you forget how much McD has grown since he's been the coach of the Bills. All of the numbers show how he's grown into an analytically-driven, semi-aggressive head coach. I'm also pretty sure he would be the first person to mention how he needs to continue to grow.

I'm grateful he's our coach. I still think he's the right guy to get us to where we want to go.

That does seem like the deal to me…after the pats/giants games the posts were certainly understandable but the bucs game was a big step in the right direction and we’re still getting those same sort of posts like we made zero improvements.  

it’s fine to think we won’t hang in the tougher part of our schedule I have no issue with that,  but there was clear progress last night.  The TB defense is no slouch by any means

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

McD has his faults but I don't think a lack of hard work is one of them.

What besides that do you think would help him improve those shortcomings? It's not some kind of inherent quality that can't be changed. Experience, as we've seen, doesn't mean a thing unless you are willing to learn from your mistakes and shortcomings and put in the work to correct and improve them. 

Does anyone think HomeskillitMorman feels better now, getting that off his/her chest? 

58 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

5 times he's been eliminated in the playoffs. 5 times Allen's years have been wasted 

Manning didnt win a SB until 9 years in.   Brees 9 years, Favre 6, Elway 14.  Marino and Rivers never won one.

Super Bowls are hard to win, even when you have a great QB.  30 of 32 teams are eliminated every year.  

The NFL has had 521 different coaches in it's history, only 35 have won a Superbowl.    Essentially you have a 6% chance of hiring a head coach who will help win you a Superbowl.    Teams only have a 43% chance of making the playoffs. You wanna play the field or keep the guy who has brought you to the playoffs all but one year of his career here?

When a team starts the year they have a 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl.   But this board acts like it should be a given because we have Josh Allen.

You'd think a fan base who watched a team miss the playoffs 17 straight years would act less entitled.   But instead it's a parade of petulance around here.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Yepp, 66-38 and 4 play off appearances in 5 years is a HUGE lie.

Do some of you people even think before you post? Can he get better? Yes, so can all coaches but you're insane if you think we were "fed a lie"

How did you feel about the "lies" for the 20 years before him? Get a grip 

Almost half of these games were against garbage divisional teams, sure you have to win these games but with Allen you should win them.

16 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Oh God, lets hope not. 

That would happen a lot less if he was prepared for those situations. 

I think when performing under high pressure game situations you would HOPE our coach could process it correctly and make the right calls.  But the sheer number of possible variables based on time on clock , down, distance, what the desired outcome is wether to score or stop I mean the sheer number is immense.

Hence the need for mental  bandwidth (smarts) and experience.

In your opinion is a coach able to be prepared for all possible situations? Maybe THAT ability separates the VERY top echelon coaches from their inferiors.

Edited by muppy

13 minutes ago, falgobofu said:

Almost half of these games were against garbage divisional teams, sure you have to win these games but with Allen you should win them.

4 of our last 6 losses have been divisional games and we are 18-6(.750 win percentage) in that time.  It’s just a weird time to make that claim because most of our struggles have been divisional games recently and we are doing very well in the vast majority of non divisional games including a 2 game win streak against the chiefs at arrowhead 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

inheriting a very talented defense and getting josh allen on your team can mask a lot of issues.

Pre McDermott (2016 starters):

image.png.a29b9b4d3d6b311405d08baad6758b3f.png 

McDermott (2017 starters):

image.png.a9825c99f70d6d677a1ab65abad92d2e.png

Who did they inherit exactly?  Not like most teams don't have players that can play in place already when a new coach is hired.

Edited by The Wiz

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's amazing that at a time when we have the winningest team in franchise history that we still have endless complainers who would find something to complain about no matter what would happen.

Honestly, get a life dude. Go find a hobby.

A lot of football to be played.

In your mind, is it a forgone conclusion we make the playoffs? 

If we don’t, would that change your perspective? 

I look at our deepest run we had under McDermott era, he had 2 established coordinators in Frazier and Daboll, although some will argue not the best. This year he opted to take the DC job on himself and has an overwhelmed OC. I think he just bit off more than he could chew trying to manage the whole show and is neglecting the little things a head coach should be doing, which shows in the clock management and lack of discipline and penalties.

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Rex Ryan was able to achieve more success in the postseason with Mark Sanchez at QB than McDermott has with Josh Allen....maybe let's try to keep that in mind when we start talking about ridiculous takes.

What? No he didn’t. They went exactly the same distance - AFCCG. Difference is that the Rex team collapsed soon after the 2010 season while McD has kept our guys competitive. 

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The proof is in the pudding on how untrue all of this has always been. Being good at game and time management is all about hard work and preparation. Same with being composed in big moments and at the end of games and your players understanding end of game situations. 

This guy still makes the same exact mistakes he did in his rookie head coach season from 6 years ago. He literally hasn't learned a thing. Our players are clueless and undisciplined in big moments in the game. Look at last night's Hail Mary. It's not like we've been burned before on those in McD's tenure. It shouldn't even take that because a  good head coach prepares for situations that they haven't even been burned by. With 13 seconds, I found it absurd that people were giving him the excuse of that being a learning experience when any head coach at any level should know what to do there. I'm not sure anything would even change if we were in that situation again given what we've seen from these other scenarios. 

The scapegoating of other coaches has also been the mantra of McD's apologists. It was Frazier that was too soft and conservative with "his" defense...McD is the head coach. He has YEARS to change anything he didn't like about what was supposedly Frazier's defense or replace him or take over himself. The fact is it's HIS defense because it's HIS team. It's the same with the offense. We keep seeing these shotgun runs on goaline situations that are repeated disasters. Yes Dorsey is a big problem...but who is letting him be that? McD hears those playcalls and is on the line, he can interject anytime he wants to. He is NOT a helpless bystander. It's HIS team. If he can't handle all of that, then guess what, that means he can't handle all of the responsibilities of a Head Coach. 

The majority of coaches in this league could have won the last few years with the talent we've had. The good ones probably could have won a SB. We still have a guy that after all these years still craps his pants and takes these horrible defensive timeouts when the opposition's offense is scrambling to get the next play off as time is winding down to give them time to compose themselves. That happens because again he is completely unprepared for those moments in the game.  Preparation takes discipline and hard work. 

I remember during this whole regime all of these propaganda articles about how disciplined, gritty, and hard working this guy is. What an absolute joke. A hard worker would show a significant amount of improvement as a coach throughout all of these years. I agree with people that Andy Reid didn't work hard to improve his time and game management skills either. But the comparisons to him are ridiculous too when Reid went to what, 4 NFC championships and a Superbowl in his first 6 years?? With a lesser QB. What are we even talking about here? 

I'm glad a growing number of people here are actually willing to see this right now rather than just blindly defending him like what's been going on for years here. When does the "he'll learn from this" excuse for the same mistakes over and over and over expire? In year 10? Year 20? 

I hope there's some kind of miracle and he somehow "gets it", but when he hasn't done a thing to put in the slightest bit of work to improve himself over the last 6 years, it's hard to believe it's going to happen mid-season. I hope the talent wins out enough for us to compete...but sadly we're not winning a SB with this guy now or ever. 

You should reconsider starting threads.  Better off just posting your opinion on one of the other stupid threads

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

My only issue with Tomlin is like... why is the offense SO bad for SO long?  5 straight years of bad offense now.  

And it is certainly not an asterisk... but his one SB win was the year brady blew out his knee and they got to avoid manning because of the chargers.  

Bad QB play, poor talent pipeline, and poor hiring decisions at coordinator

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What? No he didn’t. They went exactly the same distance - AFCCG. Difference is that the Rex team collapsed soon after the 2010 season while McD has kept our guys competitive. 

Except he did it back to back. McDermott went once in 6 years.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The proof is in the pudding on how untrue all of this has always been. Being good at game and time management is all about hard work and preparation. Same with being composed in big moments and at the end of games and your players understanding end of game situations. 

This guy still makes the same exact mistakes he did in his rookie head coach season from 6 years ago. He literally hasn't learned a thing. Our players are clueless and undisciplined in big moments in the game. Look at last night's Hail Mary. It's not like we've been burned before on those in McD's tenure. It shouldn't even take that because a  good head coach prepares for situations that they haven't even been burned by. With 13 seconds, I found it absurd that people were giving him the excuse of that being a learning experience when any head coach at any level should know what to do there. I'm not sure anything would even change if we were in that situation again given what we've seen from these other scenarios. 

The scapegoating of other coaches has also been the mantra of McD's apologists. It was Frazier that was too soft and conservative with "his" defense...McD is the head coach. He has YEARS to change anything he didn't like about what was supposedly Frazier's defense or replace him or take over himself. The fact is it's HIS defense because it's HIS team. It's the same with the offense. We keep seeing these shotgun runs on goaline situations that are repeated disasters. Yes Dorsey is a big problem...but who is letting him be that? McD hears those playcalls and is on the line, he can interject anytime he wants to. He is NOT a helpless bystander. It's HIS team. If he can't handle all of that, then guess what, that means he can't handle all of the responsibilities of a Head Coach. 

The majority of coaches in this league could have won the last few years with the talent we've had. The good ones probably could have won a SB. We still have a guy that after all these years still craps his pants and takes these horrible defensive timeouts when the opposition's offense is scrambling to get the next play off as time is winding down to give them time to compose themselves. That happens because again he is completely unprepared for those moments in the game.  Preparation takes discipline and hard work. 

I remember during this whole regime all of these propaganda articles about how disciplined, gritty, and hard working this guy is. What an absolute joke. A hard worker would show a significant amount of improvement as a coach throughout all of these years. I agree with people that Andy Reid didn't work hard to improve his time and game management skills either. But the comparisons to him are ridiculous too when Reid went to what, 4 NFC championships and a Superbowl in his first 6 years?? With a lesser QB. What are we even talking about here? 

I'm glad a growing number of people here are actually willing to see this right now rather than just blindly defending him like what's been going on for years here. When does the "he'll learn from this" excuse for the same mistakes over and over and over expire? In year 10? Year 20? 

I hope there's some kind of miracle and he somehow "gets it", but when he hasn't done a thing to put in the slightest bit of work to improve himself over the last 6 years, it's hard to believe it's going to happen mid-season. I hope the talent wins out enough for us to compete...but sadly we're not winning a SB with this guy now or ever. 

Idiots everywhere!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You should reconsider starting threads.  Better off just posting your opinion on one of the other stupid threads

I did at your advice take an introspective look and reconsidered...but decided to in the future start a thread (which I rarely do anyway) if I have something different to share, even if you feel it's not. Thanks for the feedback though. 

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Probably a Bengals fan. Possibly a Chiefs fan. Either way, clueless.

If I was a Bengals or Chiefs fan, why in the world would I be upset about the Bills having a coach that would be my team's whipping boy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

You have to be joking, right? 

Zoe had his best years under McDermott, Poyer was a no body on the Browns, Adolphis Washington, Ramon Humber, Preston Brown, EJ Gaines.... Jerry Hughes had his best years under McDermott..

a "Very talented defense" is absolutely laughable.

mcdermott didn't bring those players in - 

he had hughes, white, hyde, poyer, lawson was good.

the bills have over invested in defense and missed a whole bunch.

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Pre McDermott (2016 starters):

image.png.a29b9b4d3d6b311405d08baad6758b3f.png 

McDermott (2017 starters):

image.png.a9825c99f70d6d677a1ab65abad92d2e.png

Who did they inherit exactly?  Not like most teams don't have players that can play in place already when a new coach is hired.

willams, lawson, alexander, hughes, brown.

whaley brought in hyde, poyer, white, and gaines fall under the GM.

42 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think he does, yes. 

Good on ya! 😁👍🍺

8 minutes ago, boyst said:

willams, lawson, alexander, hughes, brown.

whaley brought in hyde, poyer, white, and gaines fall under the GM.

White…. No…Whales got the chop the day after the draft so he isn’t making the calls ..

Not sure what the story is with Hyde and Poyer’s recruitment and I doubt anyone here knows for sure …

Edited by Aussie Joe

41 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's had Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and Mike White as his QBs during that time. He's far better than McDermott at team and gameday management.

Just curious - can you provide any objective evidence to substantiate that?  Or are we living in the land of TLAR (that looks about right)?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's had Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and Mike White as his QBs during that time. He's far better than McDermott at team and gameday management.

Zach Wilson was a highly touted #2 overall pick.  Now I'm of the opinion that the player makes the biggest difference, not the coaching.  But you can't act like a player succeeds with a bad coach.  He's the only HC Wilson's ever had.

So talent evaluation was wrong - he was not deserving of the #2 pick.  HOWEVER - Saleh shouldn't get a pass either.  He's a worse player than he was at the start, and that to me comes down to coaching at some level.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Manning didnt win a SB until 9 years in.   Brees 9 years, Favre 6, Elway 14.  Marino and Rivers never won one.

Super Bowls are hard to win, even when you have a great QB.  30 of 32 teams are eliminated every year.  

The NFL has had 521 different coaches in it's history, only 35 have won a Superbowl.    Essentially you have a 6% chance of hiring a head coach who will help win you a Superbowl.    Teams only have a 43% chance of making the playoffs. You wanna play the field or keep the guy who has brought you to the playoffs all but one year of his career here?

When a team starts the year they have a 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl.   But this board acts like it should be a given because we have Josh Allen.

You'd think a fan base who watched a team miss the playoffs 17 straight years would act less entitled.   But instead it's a parade of petulance around here.

And all those quarterbacks you mentioned finally won it with a different coach. Michael Jordan, greatest NBA star of all time was a perennial loser. He never won a ring for several years because he had a horrible coach. In comes Phil Jackson as his new coach. Then BOOM! Multiple championships for the Chicago Bulls.

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yes, the winningest coach in franchise history has gotten there through his lax approach and lack of discipline.  This team is so woefully unprepared that we have routinely beat the NFL's best teams in big moments.  McD has basically sleepwalked into being a perennial playoff team and super bowl contender.  Its only because he met his match in the utterly incompetent Andy Reid that he hasn't pathetically bottomed out with a lombardi trophy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.