TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I am really curious about our DL rotation.  Von is working his way back, but Epenesa and Rousseau need to get more snaps at the expense of the likes of Floyd and Lawson.  I know we lost Daquan, but Phillips is hot garbage to begin with before even the dumb decisions.  I think it's affecting Oliver's play as well.  Before the trade deadline can Beane & Co. see if there is a 1T available for a reasonable price that can clog the middle.

Tired of mediocre RB's gashing us for first downs.  Mixon is not a mediocre running back.

Bills shut down the run. 78 yards and 40 of those yards were Mayfield flushed and the Godwin run. That's outstanding. 

Von still looks off, though he had that flash on a couple downs tonight, including that amazing almost leg tackle where Mayfield made an amazing play. 

Again, D line should have gotten 3-4 more sacks against a less tricky and slippery QB. Mayfield played uneven in the game but had some moments. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I just call it like I see it. That includes the good and the bad. I saw a lot of good last night. 

The offense really looked good despite only scoring 25 points. 

I'm a little concerned about the defense. The Bills injuries are really hurting their overall effectiveness. Can you imagine how good this D would be with Tre, Jones, and Milano? Wow...

Beane really has to make a move to help the defense. I don't see how they can matchup against the better teams and our schedule gets a lot tougher now.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I still don't get why the Bucks went for two. Mind Baffling. Seemed idiotic. 

The drunk Bucs fan in a crazy pimp outfit sitting next to me in Section 108 row 1 agrees with you. He started screaming “I hate you Todd Boles” right up until the moment that it worked. BTW, just how many times are the Bills going to tip a pass just to have it fall into a receiver’s hand?

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

I agree, bro.

I rewatched some of the game with my son. There were literally like 6-7 things that happened in those final two drives where if one of those things went the Bills way, the outcome would’ve looked differently.

I was encouraged by the offense as well. They looked really good and played with a great pace. They can continue to build on this moving forward.

The boxscore doesn’t reveal how good we played. If one of those six or seven things go our way (which most times at least one of them would have), the end of the game would’ve revealed what really happened which is that we outplayed them by a pretty good amount.

Go Bills!

Especially when you take into account how bad the offense had been playing the last three games. 

I'm the ultimate critic here sometimes to a fault. No need to comment if that. 

I get people are a bit concerned or upset that the Bills didn't close out the game.

But damn they looked pretty damn good last night. They controlled the game, moved the ball around, and had a swagger in offense. They were focused and prepared. Dare I say they looked like the good Bills of the past few seasons. 

They won the game and for the most part dominated it. That's a huge improvement from what we had been seeing the last three games. I woke up being a happy Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The drunk Bucs fan in a crazy pimp outfit sitting next to me in Section 108 row 1 agrees with you. He started screaming “I hate you Todd Boles” right up until the moment that it worked. BTW, just how many times are the Bills going to tip a pass just to have it fall into a receiver’s hand?

The TD before the 2 point conversion hit the db's helmet and evans still caught it. sh it happens. 

Just heard that with the new, faster paced offense, the Bills had 10 more Offensive plays last night than they've averaged over the last few games.

That is a full drive. That is the TD drive before half.

Take those 7 points off the Bills and now we're losing the game and it looks way more like the Giants/Jags games.

Dorsey/McD better not ignore this evidence and revert back to the slow-paced, 12 personnel BS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just heard that with the new, faster paced offense, the Bills had 10 more Offensive plays last night than they've averaged over the last few games.

Take those 7 points off the Bills and now we're losing the game and it looks way more like the Giants/Jags games.

Dorsey/McD better not ignore this evidence and revert back to the slow-paced, 12 personnel BS.

Once the score got to 24-10, it seemed like the offense's tempo slowed down.  I wonder how quickly the plays were being run prior to the last TD, as opposed to thereafter.

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Beane really has to make a move to help the defense. I don't see how they can matchup against the better teams and our schedule gets a lot tougher now.

I'm not really advocating a defensive acquisition unless it's too good to be true. I just don't think that's the way to spend their resources. Even a single pick isn't likely to change the defense much. I don't want to give up the farm for Surtan. 

McD is just going to have to get creative and guys have to step up and improve. Most defenses even healthy can't stop KC or other dynamic playoff team offenses. The Bills just need a few big D plays, a key turnover, a key stop, etc...

I'd rather get another offensive weapon. Go down swinging with Allen and company. I believe this gives the Bills the optimal chance to win. I think at the right price DHop would be a nice pick up. Henry is an interesting thought. Sure would keep teams honest and maybe make the offense unstoppable. 

After last night's game, does Renfrow and or Judy become an afterthought? My head says yes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not really advocating a defensive acquisition unless it's too good to be true. I just don't think that's the way to spend their resources. Even a single pick isn't likely to change the defense much. I don't want to give up the farm for Surtan. 

McD is just going to have to get creative and guys have to step up and improve. Most defenses even healthy can't stop KC or other dynamic playoff team offenses. The Bills just need a few big D plays, a key turnover, a key stop, etc...

I'd rather get another offensive weapon. Go down swinging with Allen and company. I believe this gives the Bills the optimal chance to win. I think at the right price DHop would be a nice pick up. Henry is an interesting thought. Sure would keep teams honest and maybe make the offense unstoppable. 

After last night's game, does Renfrow and or Judy become an afterthought? My head says yes.

If Kincaid can emerge as a solid #2 threat behind Diggs for Allen to go to then that will be a huge help for the offense. I can't argue your point about bringing more offensive help in, but I would still like to see Beane get some help for the defense. These next few days up to the deadline should be interesting.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Gregg said:

If Kincaid can emerge as a solid #2 threat behind Diggs for Allen to go to then that will be a huge help for the offense. I can't argue your point about bringing more offensive help in, but I would still like to see Beane get some help for the defense. These next few days up to the deadline should be interesting.

I've been firmly in the camp that there is "enough" talent on this Offense. They just havent been used correctly, or AT ALL. And last night just proved that.

Let Josh run. Get the ball to Shakir. Get the ball to Kincaid. Once Josh and the O get into a rhythm everyone plays better. Gabe makes catches he would otherwise drop. Etc.

I dont get why McD wants to "punish" young players with whatever ridiculous criteria he has to "earn" snaps, but it's obviously holding the team back. Shakir should be a known name around the league by now. USE THE GUYS WE HAVE, SEAN.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You don’t need a solid 2 wr you need to spread the ball around to the 3-4 targets you already have, last night was a great example of how well that works until they reverted back to Diggs-centric later in the second half.  Problems been, we don’t use the guys we have….

Short quick game moves the sticks.  Brady made a career out of it.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Josh Running" IS the added Offensive weapon we've been missing all season.

Opening that back up is like adding a pro-bowl player to the squad.

Selectively let JA run when he needs to be creative, ditch that stupid shotgun draw, run from under center & spread the ball to Cook Shakir Davis Diggs Kincaid & go up tempo.  Not rocket science.

On the defensive side if we can make a move before the deadline for a difference maker by all means go for it, if not we need to hope we get some guys back sooner than later. 

Edited by PayDaBill$

41 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I still don't get why the Bucks went for two. Mind Baffling. Seemed idiotic. 

yeah, Herbstreit’s explanation of “whether or not you convert, you know exactly what you need” didn’t make any sense.  You also know exactly what you need if you just kick the damn extra point… lol.

Worked out for them, though, thanks to some extreme ball luck on their end (for the second play in a row).

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I actually don't mind the 2pt conversion there on the road.    If you make it, you have a chance to win in regulation. I believe historically 2pt conversions are hitting around 48%.  

15 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The defense is what it is with the significant injuries. The key is staying healthy and getting Von back to being elite. 

I don't see a defensive addition that makes the Bills much better in the playoffs. Do you? 

I'd rather go out and get DHop or Henry if the price is right. They can definitely be difference makers on the offense. 

15 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

You don’t need a solid 2 wr you need to spread the ball around to the 3-4 targets you already have, last night was a great example of how well that works until they reverted back to Diggs-centric later in the second half.  Problems been, we don’t use the guys we have….

Short quick game moves the sticks.  Brady made a career out of it.

Agree for the most part. However, a DHop would make the Bills passing game even more dynamic. It would change the landscape of the Bills offense for the good. I wouldn't say no to a proven WR with great hands and route running. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll also add to this thought, I firmly believe Elam is a better player than the Bills have allowed him to be. And the coaching is doing more to ruin him than develop him.

I’m sorry, but I cannot agree.

This defense deserves a huge benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing and coaching talent. 

Boogie Basham was a solid rotational piece, a bust JAG, but still, not the worst player in the league. He’s nothing in NY. 

Guys like EJ Gaines and Levi Wallace have looked serviceable here.

Rotational piece vets like Hyde and Poyer have turned into All-Pros.

Tre White was like CB5 in his draft and was arguably the best of them pre-injury.

Benford and Jackson were late round fliers that look serviceable.

Milano and Bernard were day 2/3 picks that have contributed at a high level.

If there is one player on this team that I am the most certain probably just completely sucks and it’s no one else’s fault, it’s Kaiir.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Ohh this board is so much fun. After a win y'all are "crying and acting entitled". Y'all need to start lying to us and yourself by acting like you have full faith in the teams abilities to beat the upcoming gauntlet that the Bills have in front of them. Hey a win is a win even though for the third week in a row the game came down to the last play. Guys be happy that we dominated but then played not to lose, and almost lost if not for Godwin not turning around to find the ball almost falling into his lap while our defenders were committing a ton of penalties in the end zone. Be happy with all of that because we won. 

• Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Last night shows if you actually use talent you have, and spread the passes to other than primarily to Diggs and Davis, everyone has a better game, ya just can’t force passes to any one receiver regardless of who it is. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You can be dynamic in 12 personnel too, the Bills just choose not to do it.  Kincaid is a WR, and by all looks of it he's a good one. He should have the second most targets on the team behind Diggs.  

I've been saying this for weeks: Going to our #3 option WR  or TE is going to be more successful than forcing it to Diggs. The quality of DB defending guys like Shakir is way lower than the coverage on Diggs and even Davis.  I'm confident that Kincaid will consistently beat a slot DB or LB. 

We saw it this week, we need to keep that up, and when the defense pivots the attention away from Diggs, that's when your superstar comes out to play. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, k2mountain said:

Kincaid:

Receptions: 5

Targets: 7

Yards: 65

Those are OK numbers, BUT what mattered most was he moved the chains when they needed moving. He was there when JA had no other options.

I don’t remember 2 missed targets unless they’re counting deflection interception by Winfield as a target to kincaid.  Nonetheless, Kincaid needs the ball more.  He’s catching 90% of his targets. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t remember 2 missed targets unless they’re counting deflection interception by Winfield as a target to kincaid.  Nonetheless, Kincaid needs the ball more.  He’s catching 90% of his targets. 

that and the unsuccessful 4th and goal play

52 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Last night shows if you actually use talent you have, and spread the passes to other than primarily to Diggs and Davis, everyone has a better game, ya just can’t force passes to any one receiver regardless of who it is. 

I think the Tampa style of defense contributed to the Bills success. They are a heavy blitz team and a pass funnel defense. 

The Bills coaching game plan and play calling was excellent. The players execution was atva high level. 

I wonder if the Bills can maintain this kind of offense going forward. Any thoughts from smarter people than myself? 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I’m sorry, but I cannot agree.

This defense deserves a huge benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing and coaching talent. 

Boogie Basham was a solid rotational piece, a bust JAG, but still, not the worst player in the league. He’s nothing in NY. 

Guys like EJ Gaines and Levi Wallace have looked serviceable here.

Rotational piece vets like Hyde and Poyer have turned into All-Pros.

Tre White was like CB5 in his draft and was arguably the best of them pre-injury.

Benford and Jackson were late round fliers that look serviceable.

Milano and Bernard were day 2/3 picks that have contributed at a high level.

If there is one player on this team that I am the most certain probably just completely sucks and it’s no one else’s fault, it’s Kaiir.

If McDermott does anything right, it’s developing non defensive line defensive talent 😂. I’m all for criticizing the deficiencies but gotta give him some credit where it’s due too 

Lot of pretty ok/nothing special players have come here and had career turnarounds.  A lot of mid/late round picks without much upside have turned into good players here. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen looked through his progressions instead of locking on one was Old Allen that we love.  

He moved well inside the pocket, spread it out and his first read was usually the correct one.

Good first step to get out of this rut we were in.  I expect another step against the Bengals.

I hope that opening int from the pats game got him to take a good hard look into the looking defenders off aspect…he seemed to do a way better job with that last night.  Felt like he’s been getting lazier with it over time and when he’s got a good route concept against a single defender he was just staring his guy down which led to a few route jumps this year 

I was pleasantly surprised and, at times, almost shocked by the Bills offense last night. It was like night and day from what we've seen the past few weeks. Things that stood out:

- Felt like the 2020-2021 offense again. Spread, tempo, quick decisions

- Speaking of quick decisions, at one point the broadcast showed that it was Allen's fastest EVER time-to-throw in his career. Impressive.

- THAT was the Khalil Shakir we all thought we would be getting on draft day. If he can be THAT guy moving forward? Huge.

- The biggest surprise of all: Gabe Davis! I have NEVER seen him look like that in a game. To be moved around like that, to be featured, to be making contributions in the short and intermediate game like that. Where has THAT been his whole career? As I said with Shakir, if Gabe can be THAT guy moving forward? Huge.

- Kincaid and Cook. Youngsters showing up and showing out.

- Actually, the offensive production mostly belonged to younger guys last night. Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, and even Davis is only 24 years old. Youth movement on offense. Love to see it.

- Well-called game by Dorsey. Didn't love that they sort of called the dogs off in the second half and got more conservative. Hopefully almost losing the game will teach them not to do that any more.

- Getting Josh Allen to the line early -- like with, say, 20 seconds on the play clock -- is key. The players spoke about it throughout the week, and then sure enough, they made an effort to do it last night. I hope it's here to stay. The Bills are a different offense when this happens, and Allen is a different quarterback. He looked fully in command last night, fully confident, and fully in rhythm. I think the tempo and getting to the line early were big reasons why.

All in all, returning to their offensive roots + spread formations + getting different targets involved + tempo + getting to the line early + confident Josh = very fun viewing.

Oh and, by the way: When the offense is actually producing and moving the ball, the rest it gives the defense allows the defense to look MUCH better and more effective. And speaking of defense, let me just say: I really, REALLY hope that that chaotic craziness that the front seven was showing before many plays last night is here to stay. The double A-gap stuff, the simulated pressures, all of it. Awesome. Great gameplan by McDermott, too.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.