A trade is the only way to save the season

Milanos Milano

8 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Agreed. Considering the remaining schedule and the injuries we've already suffered, looks like we need more of a full reset year than anything.

Maybe not a full roster rebuild, but we need to turn over and re-strengthen multiple positions next year.

Beane and his staff will have a really big job with salary cap manipulation again for 2024.  This years cap was $227M+ with the Bills total at $226+.   The cap went up about $19M this year.   If it went up the same in 2024, that would put it at about $246M.   According to SPORTAC, the Bills have an estimated team salary of $275M+ for 43 players.  That puts them about $29M over.

10 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

It’s 100% personnel. Davis is ridiculously bad. Tired of watching Diggs get bracketed with nothing else available. 

Everyone is always high on Allen, but it’s clear he can’t do it with Diggs alone. The sooner we can just accept that Allen isn’t capable, the better. He’s good enough to win a Super Bowl, but he needs all the help to do it. 

Davis and Knox aren't reliable!! See what you can get for both of them. Give Quinton Morris more reps

10 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Receivers were open all day. Josh overthrew 6-8 passes. 

They'd probably drop them anyways... with the exception of Diggs 

For all the people that says the season is over save picks for future are delirious!! This team is built to win right now!! The defense is good enough to win SB. Offense is the holdup!! There are 2, maybe 4 playmakers on that side of the ball. Two consistent ones in Diggs/Allen. The jury is still out on Cook/Kincaid. Get Josh another weapon opposite Diggs. One that may scare opposing defenses. If the defense can get some players healthy for the tail end of the season, they'll be fine. Every pundit will tell you that the Bills are limited in playmaking ability on the offense. Beane PLEASE make a move!! Rather it be Renfrow, Kupp, Adams, Evans. Make it happen 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

For all the people that says the season is over save picks for future are delirious!! This team is built to win right now!! The defense is good enough to win SB. Offense is the holdup!! There are 2, maybe 4 playmakers on that side of the ball. Two consistent ones in Diggs/Allen. The jury is still out on Cook/Kincaid. Get Josh another weapon opposite Diggs. One that may scare opposing defenses. If the defense can get some players healthy for the tail end of the season, they'll be fine. Every pundit will tell you that the Bills are limited in playmaking ability on the offense. Beane PLEASE make a move!! Rather it be Renfrow, Kupp, Adams, Evans. Make it happen 

No cap space, and a lack of desire to give up Days 1-2 picks …

10 hours ago, MPL said:

Prior to today, I thought maybe a big acquisition before the deadline could save this season. But now I don't think 1 guy isn't going to do it. And the core group of this roster is toast. A lot of aging starters with big contracts that will need to be replaced in the next two years. The Bills need to be acquiring picks because the drop-off is coming fast.  

Poyer and Hyde are a step slower.  Losing Milano has shown the middle of the field is an issue and Poyer/Hyde aren’t covering. Von has yet to make an impact.  

We have some money tied up on DL that will prevent us from a big acquisition only the year to year contracts that will inevitably wash up once the team isn’t great.

Something is wrong with the offense.  You can see it in how Josh is playing and how Diggs handles himself.  Is it play calling? Personnel? Age?  All the above?

The season is effectively over. Unless they win every game left, which is impossible.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Milano is a killer too.  Personally, I would rather ride or die with Dorian Williams than watch Dodson.

Williams is slow. He was late in coverage or just outrun to the sidelines on a few plays today that really hurt. He and Taron Johnson had an awful game. 

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

You’re 100 percent on it.  I mean dude call an easy interception on our first offensive play.  Who does that?  Josh should have audibles out.

Idk how much of that is play calling when he never looked off Knox and then tried to loft a ball into 3 defenders. It was lazy from Josh.

11 hours ago, BBFL said:

Listen man, for all the Gabe hate he’s doing pretty much what Mike Evans would anyway. Sure Evans is the better player but I don’t see a point giving up something of potential value for just one step up. Gabe has his place and has had a pretty reasonable season so far. 

Money and draft picks are clearly the most valuable to this teams future. 

If we were winning games and had no legitimate deep threat or success, sure. But the season is looking to be on the ropes and at best a first round exit from the playoffs, if we even make it. 

Keep the future assets. 

it’s not a deep threat that the team needs. It’s a short to intermediate guy with sure hands and can separate quickly. Also a RT and center. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This team has too many problems for a trade to save the season. This ain’t a problem that just popped up this has been brewing for years. Everything that was a problem last year has just gotten worse. Jmo. Bringing the same vets back over and over like they are terrified to move on. Our secondary was a problem last year, we brought back the exact same guys. WRs a problem last year, Davis still gets 90 % of the snaps. Beane sold us the injury excuse all off-season. Did the same thing for Spencer Brown. The team is just not improving. Absolutely no need in bringing back Dane, Poyer, Lawson, Phillips besides the familiar with the system. That’s what the offseason is for, that’s what coaching is for. Bringing in Sherfield and Harty to  help solve our problem at WR is just ***** laughable and it has been since March. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Beane and his staff will have a really big job with salary cap manipulation again for 2024.  This years cap was $227M+ with the Bills total at $226+.   The cap went up about $19M this year.   If it went up the same in 2024, that would put it at about $246M.   According to SPORTAC, the Bills have an estimated team salary of $275M+ for 43 players.  That puts them about $29M over.

If this season doesn’t turn around, it may be machete time for the roster.

It might be time to do that regardless. 

Cut Tre, Poyer and Morse.  Let Davis and Hyde walk.   Look into trading Knox.

We can restructure and/or extend someone like Epenesa to a more backloaded deal to hit the following year when we can part ways with Von Miller. 

Draft a RD1 WR and RD2 Center, then fill out the Defense with the rest of our picks. 

I don't think a trade saves the season. I think the Bills are going to have to rebuild, re-tool, or reload thru the draft and FA. This roster has to many "meh" average players on it and not enough high-end talent. Along with the injuries to Milano, Jones, and White both Poyer and Hyde are starting to show their age. On offense the proven elite level talent is Allen and Diggs. Kincaid shows promise and may become elite but right now its Allen and Diggs. While the OL is better than years past it's still not great. I think the Bills can still win a Super Bowl with Allen, but I think the window with the rest of the roster has closed. They need to get younger and have more playmakers for Allen to work with. A change at HC is also needed as I don't think McDermott is the guy to get them a Lombardi. IMHO.

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If this season doesn’t turn around, it may be machete time for the roster.

I say its time... I would start trading away pieces that won't be here next year before the trade deadline.

There is NOTHING that will change this season. Too many injuries to key players and a serious disconnect between Dorsey and Josh. None of this is fixable this year IMO.

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't think a trade saves the season. I think the Bills are going to have to rebuild, re-tool, or reload thru the draft and FA. This roster has to many "meh" average players on it and not enough high-end talent. Along with the injuries to Milano, Jones, and White both Poyer and Hyde are starting to show their age. On offense the proven elite level talent is Allen and Diggs. Kincaid shows promise and may become elite but right now its Allen and Diggs. While the OL is better than years past it's still not great. I think the Bills can still win a Super Bowl with Allen, but I think the window with the rest of the roster has closed. They need to get younger and have more playmakers for Allen to work with. A change at HC is also needed as I don't think McDermott is the guy to get them a Lombardi. IMHO.

The only problem with leaving it to draft picks is we don’t get much out of them. Dorian Williams getting sat at this point for Dotson is the perfect example of McD always going with the vet. Dotson was just as bad. We gave up 19 in second compared to 10 in the first. Against the Jags he did the same thing and it never solved anything. Elam is the same way. Guy gets ***** on but our DBs haven’t covered anyone the past 3 games, it’s not just Elam.  Benford is good for 2 or 3 penalties a game, so is Johnson. Lol. Bernard is playing great but he got his fare share of pass interference penalties as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BananaB said:

The only problem with leaving it to draft picks is we don’t get much out of them. Dorian Williams getting sat at this point for Dotson is the perfect example of McD always going with the vet. Dotson was just as bad. We gave up 19 in second compared to 10 in the first. Against the Jags he did the same thing and it never solved anything. Elam is the same way. Guy gets ***** on but our DBs haven’t covered anyone the past 3 games, it’s not just Elam.  Benford is good for 2 or 3 penalties a game, so is Johnson. Lol. Bernard is playing great but he got his fare share of pass interference penalties as well. 

I agree with you but what other choice do the Bills have. I think the window to win a Super Bowl with the current group has closed. They can still win one with Allen but there is going to have to be rebuilding of the roster around Allen. Beane needs to start drafting offense and get Allen more playmakers. Diggs is great but he is getting up their age wise. 

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I agree with you but what other choice do the Bills have. I think the window to win a Super Bowl with the current group has closed. They can still win one with Allen but there is going to have to be rebuilding of the roster around Allen. Beane needs to start drafting offense and get Allen more playmakers. Diggs is great but he is getting up their age wise. 

100% 

The Bills have not been improving their roster, they have been maintaining it. As players get older they depreciate just like a used car. Worst of it is it has really effected our development of young players. 

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Won’t matter 

Agree. McDermott doesn't care about an explosive offense. He wants to win with defense, a strong run game, and a reliable kicker. 

He's been gifted Secretariat and wants to use him as a plough horse. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

So they lose 3 games all by one score, all coming down to the final minutes of the 4th quarter, and they need something to "save" their season?  

Talk about panicking.  Get control of yourself man. 

They don't need to do anything other than re-focus themselves, accept their mistakes and then focus on correcting them. 

What they need to do is stop neutering Allen and let him run more.  Allen seems so hesitant to use his legs, he is passing up chunks of yards for low percentage throws. Add to this no designed QB runs anymore and the offense has cut off it's nose to spite it's face.  That is a huge part of the offense and a big concern in preparation for the opposing D...and now you've basically willingly took all that off the table for them and made yourself that much easier to defend.  

Get back to allowing Allen to run in some situations...there needs to be a happy medium, he is way too far in the other direction now where he is unwilling to run.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

it’s not a deep threat that the team needs. It’s a short to intermediate guy with sure hands and can separate quickly. Also a RT and center. 

Exactly. Don’t see the need to trade for Evans personally. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

#1 WR to pair with Diggs. I don’t care what it takes. Next years 1st and 2nd for Evans or equivalent. 

Agreed. Too many injuries on defense to try and trade to fill all those missing pieces. The only option is trading for a stud wr. I do think one of the glaring weaknesses with our offense is the lack of speed to keep defenses honest. Although Mike Evans isn’t a speed guy, he is a huge target and red zone threat. He’s no spring chicken, but has enough left to make a difference and probably won’t cost a ton. I feel like he offers the most bang for your buck and would be a difference maker. 

• Agree 1

I do wish the all22 with access to Dorsey's brain was available to inspect. On the screen there seems to be so many plays with guys running circle routes, 1 guy running a route and the other guys standing around, guys in the same spot, the majority of big plays are backyard type broken plays a guy gets open. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.