NFL wants to eliminate "hip drop" tackles

BaaadThingsMan

5 minutes ago, julian said:

This is crazy.. I used to roll my eyes at people who warned of the slippery slope when previous rule changes occurred in the name of safety and I was wrong and they were correct.

It’s a contact sport with large athletes playing, at some point the risk of injury must be accepted or just grow a set of balls and make the NFL a non contact league and get it over with.

This slow drip turning the game of football into a different viewing product is painful.

So is Rugby but it's banned in that sport

• Like (+1) 1

To the supporters of this rule, how do you envision players tackling someone while in pursuit?  Either from behind or from the side/behind!?  There’s no other way to do it.   Diving at the ankles doesn’t work nor would be any safer I’d assume.

I was against the horse collar rule - I only remember one single injury from that kind of tackle - TO on the Eagles.   I still have no idea why is was outlawed.

Edited by peterpan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is for rugby but explains it well.

Great video. I think this could be easily implemented in football. The key is landing on the back of their legs because of your actions as a tackler. I agree that should be a foul.

I'm usually on the side of letting players play, but this is definitely a safety concern and should be treated like a horse collar tackle.

Defenders can make a conscious effort to ensure they land on the ground instead of their legs. Although, I could see some issues in making judgment calls in real time for officials.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Rugby doesn't have the stoppage and interference with discretionary calls like football

Football is becoming as pussified as soccer. 

Yes, but they do have a rule that you can't tackle a player that way 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Rugby doesn't have the stoppage and interference with discretionary calls like football

Football is becoming as pussified as soccer. 

Soccer is football

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

To the supporters of this rule, how do you envision players tackling someone while in pursuit?  Either from behind or from the side/behind!?  There’s no other way to do it.   Diving at the ankles doesn’t work nor would be any safer I’d assume.

I disagree. You don't have to twist your weight into the back of their legs to make the tackle. In fact, that is not usually what you see in pursuit tackles. Defenders can ensure they don't launch their own weight into the back of the ball carrier's legs. Their weight can go to the ground instead.

12 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

So is Rugby but it's banned in that sport

That’s kinda my point.. Rugby is a totally different sport and the NFL by adopting these rule changes is becoming more rugby than football.

Nothing against Rugby and I’m glad people have the option to watch it. I prefer football.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I was against the horse collar rule - I only remember one single injury from that kind of tackle - TO on the Eagles.   I still have no idea why is was outlawed.

Do people understand what a hip drop tackle is? There's plenty of ways to tackle a guy from behind without doing this

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

Great video. I think this could be easily implemented in football. The key is landing on the back of their legs because of your actions as a tackler. I agree that should be a foul.

I'm usually on the side of letting players play, but this is definitely a safety concern and should be treated like a horse collar tackle.

Defenders can make a conscious effort to ensure they land on the ground instead of their legs. Although, I could see some issues in making judgment calls in real time for officials.

Feels like this is what people are missing it's not just tackling and pulling them down from behind, it's the sweeping the legs/landing on the legs that's the issue, without that it should be fine.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The league needs to do a better job at maintaining their playing fields. Natural grass is the safest choice and a multibillion dollar league shouldn't cheap out on astroturf while claiming to promote player safety.

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Agreed. That should be priority one. 

Doesn't seem to be a priority for NFLPA.  If it was a priority NFLPA would be offering to contribute to it but this is the same NFLPA which objected to additional safety equipment for players.

Part of the problem is it is very difficult to maintain grass fields in the north which not coincidentally is where most of the Superbowl games are not played.

Teams which hold Superbowls get additional revenue.

If there is going to be concentrated effort to get all of the teams without grass fields the NFL and NFLPA are both are going to have to contribute.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Doesn't seem to be a priority for NFLPA.  If it was a priority NFLPA would be offering to contribute to it but this is the same NFLPA which objected to additional safety equipment for players.

Part of the problem is it is very difficult to maintain grass fields in the north which not coincidentally is where most of the Superbowl games are not played.

Teams which hold Superbowls get additional revenue.

If there is going to be concentrated effort to get all of the teams without grass fields the NFL and NFLPA are both are going to have to contribute.

Where theres a will, theres a way.

Both sides should sit down for serious talks and find a solution. 

Looking at the numbers it's obvious that serious leg injuries are happening more on turf than natural grass.

So glad the Bills are going natural grass in the new field. 

• Disagree 1

How do they claim they are so concerned with player safety but still allow teams to play on garbage turf fields like the one at Tottenham's field?  Oh...that's right...because it's only an actual concern when it doesn't interfere with money.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Where theres a will, theres a way.

Both sides should sit down for serious talks and find a solution. 

Looking at the numbers it's obvious that serious leg injuries are happening more on turf than natural grass.

So glad the Bills are going natural grass in the new field. 

Some NFL agents will complain that grass fields are slower and the players they represent will get smaller incentive bonuses.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Some NFL agents will complain that grass fields are slower and the players they represent will get smaller incentive bonuses.

I would say to them, sit down at the table and make your needs known.

Don't start mouthing off if you haven't put the time into the solution.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I don't see an issue with banning this German Suplex-style tackle from the NFL. It's not really adding much to the game to have it in there. There is always a risk of injury but if you can lower the injury risk with a reasonable rule change then why not do it? Same goes with switching to grass fields full time.

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

But if everyone is playing on grass full time then the speed is relative and is not impacted that much? I don't get this argument as you will get a lot less incentive bonuses if players get hurt.

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The league needs to do a better job at maintaining their playing fields. Natural grass is the safest choice and a multibillion dollar league shouldn't cheap out on astroturf while claiming to promote player safety.

There are 10 domes, 8 of them have artificial surface.  Cost to retrofit those 8 would be astronomical if you have seen the tech that is used in Arizona.  Also Superbowls are normally only awarded to warm weather or cities with domes.  Next three are: Vegas [Grass - Dome], New Orleans [Artificial], San Francisco [Grass - yikes - 45 degree night temps in February].

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

But if everyone is playing on grass full time then the speed is relative and is not impacted that much? I don't get this argument as you will get a lot less incentive bonuses if players get hurt.

This was discussed during St Louis Rams period.  If your home stadium is a turf field and it is converted to grass you are less likely to make incentives is argument of agents and then teams should adjust contract so players can get bonuses.  

Same argument was made by them when players had to wear pads which could slow players down.

First off, if the NFL was serious about player safety, the very first thing they would do is eliminate Thursday night games, and overseas games. Secondly, as others have stated, artificial turf needs to go. 

On this topic, honestly, I don’t see this type of tackle very often. Even in the clip somebody posted up of JA17 getting tackled, it’s nowhere near the deliberate throwing of the body on JA17's legs as is demonstrated in that rugby video. IMO, I very often see smaller players come flying in, head or shoulders first, going low at the knee level to bring down a larger man....that happens frequently, and probably is the only way to get the guy down. I also see the latter technique used against receivers all the time. Btw, how many players can make a "form tackle" on Derick Henry? 🤔😂

Just seems like the only option if a defender has to make a tackle on a player they are catching from behind.

Wrap him up low, and then it is whatever rodeo move that gets that player to the turf.

They have to go lower body because it would be dang near impossible around the shoulder area sans horse collar or that player easily breaking the arm tackle.

I am OK with rules protecting QBs, especially from hits that are around the knees or helmet.

Some of these just put defenders into awkward unnatural positions where they get injured.

Just now, BearNorth said:

There are 10 domes, 8 of them have artificial surface.  Cost to retrofit those 8 would be astronomical if you have seen the tech that is used in Arizona.  Also Superbowls are normally only awarded to warm weather or cities with domes.  Next three are: Vegas [Grass - Dome], New Orleans [Artificial], San Francisco [Grass - yikes - 45 degree night temps in February].

Call me crazy but I think the NFL has the money to retrofit 8 domes with grass. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Beast said:

Atwater put the Nigerian Nightmare down and out!

Now that is bringing back memories of Shane Conlan and his epic battles with Okoye.

"Bills nose tackle Fred Smerlas calls Conlan "The Helmet" and "Hammer-head." Smerlas can afford to make light of Conlan; he doesn't have to collide with him in practice.

Center Kent Hull does and, for him, it is no laughing matter.

"A lot of guys will throw elbows or forearms at you," Hull said. "Shane throws that head at you, and he's got one of the hardest heads I've ever had hit me. It's like a rock"

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Guys would get hurt if it were flag football. I wonder how many injuries are due to big hits vs just random stuff. Most of our injuries have all seemed to be on normal plays that could not be avoided with some rule change. 

Yep. Von. Tre's injuries.  Milano.  Daquan.  Just normal tackle football stuff or non-contact injuries.

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Now that is bringing back memories of Shane Conlan and his epic battles with Okoye.

"Bills nose tackle Fred Smerlas calls Conlan "The Helmet" and "Hammer-head." Smerlas can afford to make light of Conlan; he doesn't have to collide with him in practice.

Center Kent Hull does and, for him, it is no laughing matter.

"A lot of guys will throw elbows or forearms at you," Hull said. "Shane throws that head at you, and he's got one of the hardest heads I've ever had hit me. It's like a rock"

I remember Conlan absolutely blowing up Roger Vick from the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.