Giants @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Daboll had them fired up. They played with an edge.

Teams seem to do that against us to get in our heads…I’ve been noticing that the last few years.  I’m pretty sure that big scrum was started because the giants d was starting to lose control of the game though and it was pretty brilliant 

7 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

How much of the lousy offense tonight was due to Daboll knowing our offense?

I think, A Lot.  Not just Daboll, but keep in mind they have Bobby Johnson who has some scoop on tendencies of players like Mitch Morse and Dion Dawkins, and Shea Tierney.  And Daboll probably has a road map to Josh Allen's psyche.

That may be an under-appreciated factor with the Jags too, given they have two former Bills coaches on staff.

2 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Yup.  O line is clearly a struggle.  Probably not going to change a whole lot this season.  Hoppfully they can start to get it together.   ??

I’m fine with keepin guys in to help if the pass blocking is gonna hold up lol but in the last two games it just hasn’t been doing that. 

some of tonight was def the giants having our ex oline coach id say…and the defense was well prepared on a few of those plays 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

We got lucky. REAL lucky. 

That last playcall should've just been a handoff or sneak, but even still it looked like the play was there. Then another miracle - Johnson doesn't get called for a pretty blatant hold, and time thankfully expires. 

And that says nothing about our own ineptitude on the last drive, capping it off with a missed FG. Literally every other team in the league put up more points against the Giants than we did. Blah...

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Teams seem to do that against us to get in our heads…I’ve been noticing that the last few years.  I’m pretty sure that big scrum was started because the giants d was starting to lose control of the game though and it was pretty brilliant 

The Bills are frequently favorites and bad to mediocre teams try to start ***** when they are big underdogs. I don’t think it works as the refs blow the whistle more when one team is instigating 

45 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

C'mon, what should have been an easy throw was badly underthrown. Josh is not perfect, and it was a worse throw than a bad catch.

I disagree.  Yes the pass was under thrown but in the NFL and even college football that has to be caught. You can't expect Allen to make perfect throws on every play.  He was 11/12 in the 2nd half with that being the only incompletion.  I watched a lot of college & NFL games this weekend and I saw guys regularly making much harder catches.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m fine with keepin guys in to help if the pass blocking is gonna hold up lol but in the last two games it just hasn’t been doing that. 

some of tonight was def the giants having our ex oline coach id say…and the defense was well prepared on a few of those plays 

This game I thought the offensive line played fine enough to win. That Gabe Davis fumble and the Josh INT along with some drops really hurt the Bills chance to get offensive momentum. 

I will say this the defense was impressive, they made the big plays when they needed to. Dorian Williams and Bernard held up at LB while the defensive line forced the Giants into a game plan that was focused on quick throws and QB movement. Outside of a few trap plays they adjusted to quickly the ground game of the Giants was cut down to size: 

This game shouldn’t have been this close but a win is a win

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Josh said in his post game presser that it's basically the same offense

Makes sense, we only started actually getting somewhere when we ran the ball effectively which was something we never could under Daboll. The loss of Kinkaid made us play 11 personnel more and that was Daboll's offense we were running against Daboll. No wonder we had issues, he probably could tell the DC what the play was before Dorsey had told Allen 

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The OL was an embarrassment.  Dorsey's playcalling is absolutely awful.  We are absolutely wasting JA with some of these offensive concepts.  Sorry but this is not sustainable nor is this a playoff team. Maybe 9-10 wins tops but that's probably it.  Elam must go and Ford/Settle are worthless.  Gotta always "activate Josh saves the game" mode.  Again too many drops tonight....

I feel the same way. The Bills are

4-2 but it feels like 2-4. 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Josh has to run more. That was our best play for 2+ years. Do not coach the playmaker out of him. That’s what made him incredible.

We won this game because he made plays. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

This game I thought the offensive line played fine enough to win. That Gabe Davis fumble and the Josh INT along with some drops really hurt the Bills chance to get offensive momentum. 

I will say this the defense was impressive, they made the big plays when they needed to. Dorian Williams and Bernard held up at LB while the defensive line forced the Giants into a game plan that was focused on quick throws and QB movement. Outside of a few trap plays they adjusted to quickly the ground game of the Giants was cut down to size: 

I respectfully disagree…josh Allen completely bailed the oline out in the second half imo.  It was pretty close to the oline not even being on the field for most of those passing snaps.  Three of those completions for first downs down the stretch were pretty close to impossible 

I think a lot of it was Daboll knowing a lot of our OLs tendencies 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

We got lucky. REAL lucky. 

That last playcall should've just been a handoff or sneak, but even still it looked like the play was there. Then another miracle - Johnson doesn't get called for a pretty blatant hold, and time thankfully expires. 

And that says nothing about our own ineptitude on the last drive, capping it off with a missed FG. Literally every other team in the league put up more points against the Giants than we did. Blah...

Five other teams. 

Everyone saying Bills got lucky with the no call PI. Did you all forget about the Giants no call PI on the first drive where Davis probably would have walked to the end zone?

If that play works, it’s an early 7-0 lead and an entirely different ballgame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree.  Yes the pass was under thrown but in the NFL and even college football that has to be caught. You can't expect Allen to make perfect throws on every play.  He was 11/12 in the 2nd half with that being the only incompletion.  I watched a lot of college & NFL games this weekend and I saw guys regularly making much harder catches.

Yup. But according to some here, if Josh doesn’t hit the mark exactly on every single throw with the right amount of velocity, it’s a bad throw. Guy can’t win. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I feel the same way. The Bills are

4-2 but it feels like 2-4. 

I think the two losses look a little better honestly.  Tonight was the only team we’ve played that currently has a losing record and they made some big time personnel changes and their head coach knows our offense/players very well and we just flew across the Atlantic twice in 7 days 😂. Kind of excuse train-y I know but it’s more to say I think we’re gonna right the ship than trying to excuse the play tonight 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Daboll had them fired up. They played with an edge.

They were the inferior team coming into a packed and hostile house on prime time.  That’s exactly what they had to do.  They also probably thought they could get some of our less disciplined players off their game and catch a break or two that way. I respect it and expected nothing less.  

• Agree 1

All day I kept reading on this board that the Bills don't win games when they're offense only scores 20 points...unlike other teams e.g Bengals etc.  Well tonight we did.  Yes the offense was slow to get started.  Bass uncharacteristically missed 2 FGs...which would have put the Bills up by two scores.

Also we haven't seen this Giants team this year.  Barkley makes a big difference and I think Tyrod did as well as he doesn't turn the ball over.

And...we always complain that PI isn't called against other teams late in the game, e.g. the Chiefs.  They seem to always call it against the Bills.  Fortunately tonight only once.

So ugly win.  But it's a win.  I'll take it.  Lots to fix so they'll get to work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I really wasn't impressed with the Bills defense. The looked vulnerable against a very poor Giants offense. An offense that had Tyrod Taylor, mash unit of an oline, and a recovering Barkley. You realize this unit hasn't scored a TD this season? 

It was a commendable defensive effort, not terrible but it's nowhere near good enough to stop a Good playoff caliber offense. The injuries will likely be just too much to overcome. I suspect the defense won't win a lot of games vs good offenses.

What really is worrisome is the offense. I think it's the offense that has to carry this team come playoff time. The last two games they have been worst than bad. Sadly, Allen has been the only ray of hope. 

Dorsey is just not OC material. It's just that simple. The oline has regressed after such a promising start. The lack of offensive weapons and explosiveness is obvious and problematic. 

Short term high for the win tonight. However, when you look at the long term view it's much bleaker than anticipated. 

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

Yup. But according to some here, if Josh doesn’t hit the mark exactly on every single throw with the right amount of velocity, it’s a bad throw. Guy can’t win. 

Frankly I have no patience for these clowns who spout off about that.  I just watched a lot of football this weekend and saw that catch and tougher ones being made all over the place.  Now if it was the 1st quarter we could complain that Allen's throw didn't enable Knox to score because it was under thrown.  But on that play you make the catch and the game is over.

And to be fair to Knox his injury probably made that a much more difficult catch then it should have been.

W. That’s all that matters this early in the season. Now let me complain…

I called this in the lead-up thread. This was a perfect Billsy game playing down to the competition. When do we ever blow the doors off a team when every single angle points to a Bills blow out? Never.

#1 problem is Dorsey. I held my tongue last year, I defended him in the first 3 games because his game plans were good, the last 3 games he’s absolutely sucked. It’s like he spends all off season coming up with a plan, teams adjust after a few games and his play sheet becomes 90% “Josh make a play”

This offense has NO identity. It looks like sandlot football where guys just call plays in the huddle. Zero set up, zero flow. It’s an abomination not to start running the ball until the second quarter. No one gets open besides Diggs and the play calling isn’t helping matters much. Too much shotgun, and that shotgun run on the goal line is a fireable offense.

I really think they’ve coached the dog out of Josh. There were at least 3 first downs Josh could have easily run and slid for where he hesitated and threw short or incomplete. This is a big problem. I agree we want him to take fewer hits but it’s obvious he’s thinking too much when there’s tons of green in front of him for easy yards. We need those legs in the right situations and I think Dorsey/McD have done him and the team a disservice by taking that away.

Love the W. Hope they figure it out on offense. Lots of games left to be played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, sven233 said:

It hasn't been talked about too much here, but man did I love to see Allen step in and step up for his guys here.....

1.thumb.jpg.7b183e12bcbe715c25ea98910d510aa1.jpg

This was celebrated in the GDT but there was an equal amount of “I’d rather he be sitting by now” and typical cynicism so it got quickly drowned out.

Tell you this much - Joe Burrow would never 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a game that most NFL teams play a dozen times per year, and we are blessed that it isn't the norm for us. This is the NFL and the around-the-league scoreboard showed a lot of games like this this weekend. That doesn't mean that it's acceptable for the Bills to not meet their standard, especially against the Giants, and we are lucky we won, but we are also lucky that this type of game isn't the standard. And frankly, I find myself happy right now, because this game reminded me a lot of the Jags game, the Vikings game, games where we just come up short because we can't handle playing with the plebs the way they're used to doing it. But we actually won. 

Sorry, I'm not convinced at all that Dorsey was a problem. I saw the same plays we executed on in the 2nd half being screwed up on the field in the 1st half. "Running out of shotgun" probably averaged 7 YPC tonight, and the precious play action dropbacks were miserable because the Giants dismissed them completely. 

A bit worried about Allen's shoulder. 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.