Would you trade AJ Epenesa?

Buffalo_Stampede

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

He's process. He will be cheaper than we think. He will be back. Book it. (I just wanted to say book it, I don't have insight or a strong opinion other than he fits the mould to come back)

Some bottom feeder will pay him … he will get his bag from some one like the Cardinals 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Once Von is full go we’ll have Rousseau, Miller, Floyd, Lawson, and Jonathan. Jonathan has shown promise.

Epenesa’s value won’t be any higher. He’s playing good football. The other option is extending him to pair with Rousseau in the future.

With the injuries Epenesa could bring back a solid player to help at CB or LB.

Hell no. AJE might have finally taken a step. You want to feel like the Colts after losing Jerry Hughes? 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Some bottom feeder will pay him … he will get his bag from some one like the Cardinals 

I don't think he generates the interest many believe. 

Honestly, come to think of it... Who was the last big disciple of McDermott to go on to succeed with a big contract, or even small?

Besides Edmunds I cannot think of anyone who has gone on to succeed. Jerry Hughes is the only player to move on from McDermott and succeed; Jerry was never coming back and it was specifically because of McDermott. 

• Eyeroll 1

Once Von is full go we’ll have Rousseau, Miller, Floyd, Lawson, and Jonathan. Jonathan has shown promise.

Epenesa’s value won’t be any higher. He’s playing good football. The other option is extending him to pair with Rousseau in the future.

Let's pump the brakes and see what's wrong with Rousseau/how fast he's back/what he looks like

Then let's pump the brakes and see what Von Miller looks like.

3 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

All the “no’s” understand he’s on the last year here right? He’ll be a UFA and the way he’s playin - demand a ton of money.

I can guarantee you they do not understand this or the Bills cap situation next year.

Don't buy an Epenesa jersey - just sayin'

We have depth. Jonathan looks good. We have 5 quality edge players not including Epenesa.

If Denver wanted Epenesa and a pick for Surtain you wouldn’t do it?

Only way I'd make a trade like that is for a devante Adam's ,aj brown type wr...the league is shifting to teams with not only 1 #1 wr but two #1s ..shoot some teams like dolphins nines eagles Bengals etc have 3 elite offensive skill players not including their quarterback 

3 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Only way I'd trade epenesa is if the bills FO is truly still all in on a SB this year. You can package him with a pick and get a premium WR2 then maybe. Other wise bills will need his depth and impact plays this year.

LOL I think the Bills have much bigger problems than WR2 right now.  3 weeks ago, maybe, now CB and LB are way ahead of a luxury pick.

54 minutes ago, boyst said:

I don't think he generates the interest many believe. 

Honestly, come to think of it... Who was the last big disciple of McDermott to go on to succeed with a big contract, or even small?

Besides Edmunds I cannot think of anyone who has gone on to succeed. Jerry Hughes is the only player to move on from McDermott and succeed; Jerry was never coming back and it was specifically because of McDermott. 

Shaq Lawson and Phillips got paid … so AJE  is heading in that direction 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

He’s 26 entering his prime after taking 3 years to develop. Makes no sense but I like the idea if it saves Pegula $ and Beane can draft another punter.

They have spent their DL money on Von and Oliver already

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They have spent their DL money on Von and Oliver already

Bills can get out of the Von deal after next year. 

If they want to extend AJ, they can.  Just backload it.  Same thing with Rousseau the following year.  

The defense is probably going to have quite the shakeup in the off-season with guys like Hyde, Poyer, White, DaQuan, Floyd and AJ all being guys the coaching staff/front office is going to have to make decisions on whether to extend and/or cut bait. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

Bills can get out of the Von deal after next year. 

If they want to extend AJ, they can.  Just backload it.  Same thing with Rousseau the following year.  

The defense is probably going to have quite the shakeup in the off-season with guys like Hyde, Poyer, White, DaQuan, Floyd and AJ all being guys the coaching staff is going to have to make decisions on whether to extend and/or cut bait. 

I don’t see them keeping both AJE and Rousseau … I would keep Floyd around the same money next year if he is up for it

I see AJE getting 8 figures a year from some bottom feeder … bit too rich for my blood … but you make a final call in the off-season  ..

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t see them keeping both AJE and Rousseau … I would keep Floyd around the same money next year if he is up for it

I see AJE getting 8 figures a year from some bottom feeder … bit too rich for my blood … but you make a final call in the off-season  ..

Yea, AJ is only back if he takes a deal on Beane’s terms and no random teams with money to blow give him an outlandish contract for 1.5 years of production. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, boyst said:

And came right back. I could see both of them telling the kid it's not worth it 

Came back … after they got their bag…

Might tell AJE to do the same 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, AJ is only back if he takes a deal on Beane’s terms and no random teams with money to blow give him an outlandish contract for 1.5 years of production. 

Ok .. it’s possible …

But desperate teams pay players who only have 1.5 year production …

Edmunds didn’t even have that 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Ideally you want to spend it on everyone worth keeping past rookie deal? 

Ideally yes…

But the Miller deal hampers them another year and they have Rousseau on deck the following year…

but let’s wait and see … more games like yesterday may change things 

40 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ideally yes…

But the Miller deal hampers them another year and they have Rousseau on deck the following year…

but let’s wait and see … more games like yesterday may change things 

Exactly. A season ending injury diminishes value. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

LOL I think the Bills have much bigger problems than WR2 right now.  3 weeks ago, maybe, now CB and LB are way ahead of a luxury pick.

Depends on how you look at the rest of the season for the bills.

Milano was so good and so important to the bills that's why I'd say wr2 is more important for this season.

There's such few, and maybe no LBs in the NFL that could be traded for, come in, learn the system and play like Milano. 

CB is a need, but mcd has consistently shown he's comfortable with his in house guys, and they just spent capitol on Elam.

Now for the rest of the season I'd argue the path for the bills to win a SB with this many bad injuries on defense is for the fast ball to get faster, not to bandaid the defense. Davis has had a solid stat line this season, but his route tree is very limited, his bad drops continue, and he hasn't been a game changer since the chiefs playoff game. He feasts on defenses when they have to pay attention to diggs.

A true WR2 or WR1B that draws attention from diggs, Knox, Kincaid, davis, would open up alot of doors for Allen. If the bills could cause a shoot out with other elite teams, the bills still have elite pass rushers that can get home. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Unless you are getting a stud back or a 1st or 2nd round pick (you won't) why would you? He keeps playing like this he will fetch a decent comp pick if he leaves in FA.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Comp picks? Why do fans love these so much? I would rather trade him for a starting caliber player. 

Whos giving up a starting caliber player under contract beyond this year for a guy who is flashing finally in year 4 and is also a Free Agent next year? 

Im with the either resign him or let him go in FA and get another pick and a cheap contract. 

If he keeps playing like this I want the Bills to resign him. They need to get younger on defense and Epenesa is still ascending 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fine if you are getting one. Like who?

That's the rub, isn't it?  I completely agree with the thought to explore the idea.  If someone wants to give us, say, a second round pick that we immediately flip for someone to assist in a new position of need, then I'm for it.  The reality is that AJE likely is gone after this year, and we're looking at a 2024 third or fourth to replace him.  So if we can cover that asset into something that will help us now, great.  If not, then play it out, get our last 15-ish games out of him, enjoy the comp pick, and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sure towards Watt, a Bosa, Hutchinson or Crosby...other than that, why?

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

trade Miller and picks for a CB and get his cap number gone. Sign Floyd and AJ. 

I doubt Von is worth anything at this point, but you know what if he was I'd consider it. Maybe I am too down on our chances from here on in this season, but I don't think we are a potential Superbowl winner now. If someone was willing to give me something.... it leaves me with a lot of dead cap to eat next year but it also creates me $6.5m in space (and he is likely gone leaving you with some dead money AFTER next year in any event). I let AJE and Greg start the rest of the way and I evaluate them as my combo to go forward with. Again, maybe that is too defeatist a view on where we are for 2023. But right now that is where I am at. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Whos giving up a starting caliber player under contract beyond this year for a guy who is flashing finally in year 4 and is also a Free Agent next year? 

Im with the either resign him or let him go in FA and get another pick and a cheap contract. 

If he keeps playing like this I want the Bills to resign him. They need to get younger on defense and Epenesa is still ascending 

For all the reasons you would want to sign him and make him part of the future are the same reasons a team would trade for him.

Comp picks help us in the future also. Thats time and development though.

Trading a young player like Epenesa is about winning a Super Bowl this season. We have depth on the edge and none at CB or LB.

The type of players you would go after are ones in a similar situation where they want or need a contract extension next year.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fine if you are getting one. Like who?

The NFL doesn’t really make these types of trades in season. A productive young player for a productive player. 

It would be a player due a contract extension or a UFA next year. Similar situation.

AJ and a high pick should get you a nice return.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The NFL doesn’t really make these types of trades in season. A productive young player for a productive player. 

It would be a player due a contract extension or a UFA next year. Similar situation.

AJ and a high pick should get you a nice return.

Exactly. So if you do it you probably are not getting a productive young player. You are likely getting a past his sell by date guy who is more name than production at this stage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.