It's Early of Course but the Schedule Now Looks a Lot Easier

jethro_tull

Just now, K-9 said:

Washington has a D front that can give us fits and Miami is for real. Nothing easy about either of those upcoming games. Nothing at all.

Maybe he was talking about other upcoming games, like NE, Denver, Cincinnati, the Jets, Chargers, etc…I tend to agree, and I also don’t think the Rivera-led Commanders pose a particularly difficult threat, but that’s hardly news.

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I don't understand the fear of miami.

There's plenty of reason to be concerned about Miami.

Their offense looks like the best in the league. They've won 2 consecutive road games without playing Armstead, and that Oline which was supposed to be a weakness has looked reasonably good in his absence. The defense under Fangio should figure to be improved over the course of the year.

Have you looked at their schedule the next few weeks? They get Denver at home, at Buffalo, then home against the Giants (without Barkley who is out 3 weeks) and the Panthers. If the Bills don't beat them, the Dolphins are looking at 6-0.

Not sure why people underestimate them. They were always the bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets. Unlike New York, they also have a competent coaching staff

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Just now, buffblue said:

Their offense looks like the best in the league. They've won 2 consecutive road games without playing Armstead, and that Oline which was supposed to be a weakness has looked reasonably good in his absence. The defense under Fangio should figure to be improved over the course of the year.

Have you looked at their schedule the next few weeks? They get Denver at home, at Buffalo, then home against the Giants (without Barkley who is out 3 weeks) and the Panthers. If the Bills don't beat them, the Dolphins are looking at 6-0.

Not sure why people underestimate them. They were always the bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets

Because they've not played anyone resembling a competent opponent and as of now, their defense looks REALLY suspect.

Josh WILL get his against them, then it's a matter of keeping the offense in front of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, buffblue said:

Not sure why people underestimate them. They were always the bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets

I expect Mike White any game now.

I have never seen an NFL backup constantly warming up on the sideline. They usually carry the clipboard

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe he was talking about other upcoming games, like NE, Denver, Cincinnati, the Jets, Chargers, etc…I tend to agree, and I also don’t think the Rivera-led Commanders pose a particularly difficult threat, but that’s hardly news.

yeah but most teams will be playing us as if it’s their…

wait for it…

WAIT FOR IT…..

Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not sure why people underestimate them. They were always the bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets. Unlike New York, they also have a competent coaching staff

The Dolphins are no joke, but beatable. Bills are the same.

The interesting thing is that it feels like a lot is wide open with Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Kansas City’s start. 

Feels a bit like the Singapore GP these weekend. Max out in Q2 and all sorts of issues in the Red Bull. Russell randomly flies off the track. Leclerc disappears.

TD Ferrari/Carlos Sainz!!!

And that’s Miami right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Because they've not played anyone resembling a competent opponent and as of now, their defense looks REALLY suspect.

Josh WILL get his against them, then it's a matter of keeping the offense in front of them.

Sure Allen will put up his numbers, but can we stop their offense? We better, because a loss in week 4 puts the Bills in a massive hole in the division. Assuming both teams win next week, a Bills loss to the Fins in week 4 would leave Miami 4-0 (2-0 AFC East) and us 2-2 (0-2 AFC East). They would have essentially a 3 game lead with the head to head, which will be very hard to dig out of given the second half of our schedule is much more challenging than the first.

And before we say look at last year, the largest deficit the Bills faced at any point (with tiebreakers) was 2 games. The Bills got back into it quickly because Tua got hurt against Cincinnati. If he stays healthy (and I realize its a big if), I'm not sure I like our chances to win the division. 

Week 4 is pretty close to a must win for the Bills imo

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They did last time we played them too and we T-rolled them.

They’re better on the back end now and the last time we played has absolutely nothing to do with now.

23 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

One would think that’s obvious. That’s a legit offense and should be respected. I know the coaches and players do, that’s for sure.

• Agree 2

I fear all these games.  The Commanders I can talk myself into handling better than Miami.  This is the biggest regular season game in Washington in a decade perhaps.  They haven't been 2-0, with a real decent looking QB prospect in ages.  They are feeling real good about themselves.  The Bills got their inexplicably bad loss out of their system early on.  So i feel while Washington is soaking up the good vibes and fun atmosphere, Buffalo will take care of business. 

Miami on the other hand, worries me.  They seem legit this year.... 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I fear all these games.  The Commanders I can talk myself into handling better than Miami.  This is the biggest regular season game in Washington in a decade perhaps.  They haven't been 2-0, with a real decent looking QB prospect in ages.  They are feeling real good about themselves.  The Bills got their inexplicably bad loss out of their system early on.  So i feel while Washington is soaking up the good vibes and fun atmosphere, Buffalo will take care of business. 

Miami on the other hand, worries me.  They seem legit this year.... 

They've scored 6 more points than we have, and given up 19 more.

I like our odds.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's always a bit silly to judge the strength of schedule before the season because you just don't know how things are going to change.  All the talk this year has been about how much tougher our schedule is this year than last.  However, before the season last year all the talk was about how tough the schedule was, particularly the beginning of the season when we played powers like the Rams and Titans.

That said, it's equally tough to judge how hard the schedule will be in season.  Early in the year the Dolphins looked great but the Jets looked terrible.  Then the Jets went on a bit of a run with great defensive play.  So, it's also not only who you play but when you play them.  The Bengals look terrible right now but they might be great, and desperate, when we play them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think it's foolish to pretend that Miami hasn't built a good team that will challenge for the AFC East.  Mind you, I'd still bet on the Bills, but count me surprised if we have it locked up before Week 17 or 18. 

As for the rest of the AFC, yeah it's good to see KC and Cincy not looking too dynamic at the moment.  Any losses they take on now help us get that elusive first round bye.  With that in mind we also did them a big favor in Week 1.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Dolphins are no joke, but beatable. Bills are the same.

The interesting thing is that it feels like a lot is wide open with Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Kansas City’s start. 

Feels a bit like the Singapore GP these weekend. Max out in Q2 and all sorts of issues in the Red Bull. Russell randomly flies off the track. Leclerc disappears.

TD Ferrari/Carlos Sainz!!!

And that’s Miami right now. 

Exactly what I was thinking...

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952sg5ejhdbizozboj07

• Haha (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

After taking a peak at upcoming games none of them look that difficult any longer.  Anything can happen but it looks easier from this view at the moment.  

The only part of the schedule that looks rough is those 4 in a row late games.  2 AFC, 2 NFC.  I don't care about Philly and Dal@$$, but the Jests and Chefs are must wins. 

58 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Me either they beat us in Miami last year?

we had 500 yards of offense?

3rd stringers as dbs….

now all the sudden they are going to beat us consistently with a mini qb that took karate in the offseason to account for falling correctly?

I don’t get it at all?

nothing I’ve seen from them scares me…

18 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Miami 2 times, KC, Dallas, Philly, healthy Joe Burrow. Yea no thanks. We have some losses in our future, more so than previous years. That month between Thanksgiving and Christmas could ruin our holiday season. Hold on to your butts!

Philly is the only legit strongman 

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Me either they beat us in Miami last year?

we had 500 yards of offense?

3rd stringers as dbs….

now all the sudden they are going to beat us consistently with a mini qb that took karate in the offseason to account for falling correctly?

I don’t get it at all?

nothing I’ve seen from them scares me…

Philly is the only legit strongman 

Could also be some real good excitement!!!!  All awesome and winnable football games 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

It's really hard to say.  

We have only seen the first two weeks of the season, and the only team who can really be knocked down a peg is the Jets (because of the loss of Aaron Rodgers).  Yet they already gave us a loss, and their D has given us fits almost every time we've played.

All those top teams are still there... Kansas City, Philadelphia, Dallas... And I do expect the Bengals to figure things out before we play them in November.  They started really slow last season too, and destroyed us in the playoffs.  Los Angeles never seems to take that next step, but they are still very talented.  The Jags aren't elite, but they are good.

The Dolphins are going to give us a real run for the division this year.  They gave us a push last year, but stumbled mid-season with the Tua concussions.  It's not a guarantee (like some people think) that he will get injured again.  I could see the AFC East going to Week 18 this time around.

• Like (+1) 1

Second week in a row that the Bills draw the Broncos' opponent from the week before. And since the Broncos dominate my local market I watched the Raiders pretty closely last week and the Commanders pretty closely this week.

The Commanders are your classic mediocre team. Actually, with a good QB (I'm not talking Josh; maybe a Kirk Cousins or something) they'd actually be pretty good.

- Hard to say how much real improvement there was in Sam Howell at QB as opposed to a failing Broncos' D. What I can say is he did appear confident, didn't get rattled, and hung in there to make some nice throws. I very much doubt he's their QB of the future, but suffice to say he's no Zach Wilson or Skylar Thompson. He's a perfectly decent backup quality QB right now who can surprise you, and he may very well get significantly better.

- I'm not very impressed with their skill position players. McLaurin is still good. Logan Thomas (remember him?) made a nice TD catch and then got clocked in a dirty helmet-to-helmet play that brought a concussion, so he may be out. Brian Robinson is playing well at RB, and is a receiving threat out of the backfield. He's probably the only one who I could see having a big game against the Bills. There's just not a bunch of scary offensive threats on that team right now, which makes it kind of amazing that they put up 30+ points. Again, I attribute that at least equally to an underperforming Broncos D

- The Broncos pass rush did bother Howell in the first half. Randy Gregory emerged from his disappearing act to chase Howell around a few times. This tells me that our pass rush may do very well against the Commanders. I expect Rousseau, Floyd, even Epenesa to disrupt things a lot from the edge.

- Defensively, they were pretty awful in the first half, and Russell Wilson (yes, Russell Wilson) picked them apart pretty easily. The second half? Seems like the Broncos offense just fell apart, their line broke down, and Wilson wilted under pressure. The D line is supposed to be really good, but again, the successes seemed more a result of Broncos' ineptitude than any great work on their part.

Any Given Sunday and all that, but we are a much better team, and even on the road I'm not too concerned about this one.

EDIT: I should add that Eric Bieniemy is finally calling plays, and it looked like he really knew what he was doing. Some nice adjustments to what the Broncos did in the first half. Hey, he got 35 points out of Sam Howell against a defense that is (on paper) pretty decent. I think this move is gonna work out for him.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

They've scored 6 more points than we have, and given up 19 more.

I like our odds.

We played the Wilson led jets....Miami played a high scoring chargers team.....that's the difference imo as the Wilson led jets won't put many offensive points up...they win through turnovers and a running game 

13 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

We played the Wilson led jets....Miami played a high scoring chargers team.....that's the difference imo as the Wilson led jets won't put many offensive points up...they win through turnovers and a running game 

And we played one of the tougher defenses in the league so we scored less points than normal.

19 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

They played the Mac led Patriots

SFW

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

They're awfully fast on offense, and Tua is real good on those intermediate throws (10-20 yards).  They'll pose a matchup problem for 31 other teams, not just Buffalo.

Defensively, nothing ultra special. They're kind of like a Big 12 team that just wants to outscore everybody. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Washington has a D front that can give us fits and Miami is for real. Nothing easy about either of those upcoming games. Nothing at all.

If we continue the offensive concepts displayed against Vegas with quick release passing and running with double TE sets, we’ll dominate Washington. The Dolphins will be challenging with their passing and power running attack, but at home we will have an advantage.We can beat any team with the execution we showed Sunday.

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

If we continue the offensive concepts displayed against Vegas with quick release passing and running with double TE sets, we’ll dominate Washington. The Dolphins will be challenging with their passing and power running attack, but at home we will have an advantage.We can beat any team with the execution we showed Sunday.

I’m not saying we are gonna lose to any team given our potential, but no team is a gimme. Sure, on paper, we should win these upcoming games, but history has taught us that’s just not the case. Every year we get these posts proclaiming easy wins and every year we lose games we had no business losing. And it’s funny how often it’s the same people who guaranteed wins against teams complain the most when we invariably lose a game.

Still looks pretty challenging to me.

The league is a bit different this year. The only team I'd call "elite" right now is probably Dallas.  Miami is close, but could be 0-2 if a few plays went differently.  

We're top tier, but there is a lot of near-parity out there.  I don't see too many easy games.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m not saying we are gonna lose to any team given our potential, but no team is a gimme. Sure, on paper, we should win these upcoming games, but history has taught us that’s just not the case. Every year we get these posts proclaiming easy wins and every year we lose games we had no business losing. And it’s funny how often it’s the same people who guaranteed wins against teams complain the most when we invariably lose a game.

Who’s saying any NFL game is a gimme? I said Miami, with that highflying offense is a challenge and Washington on the road, will be a game we should win if we play like Sunday. Last year we lost the heatstroke game to Miami, the Jets, who we don’t matchup well with on the road and Minnesota in a shootout when Jefferson made a catch that rivals the most superhuman plays in NFL history. 3 losses out of 16. What’s your beef?

The Commanders had the broncos collapse and best Arizona at the very end so they are scrappy and fight to the end. 
The simple fact is if the Bills bring their A game it will look very much like the Raiders game. After the way Josh was vilified last Monday I expect him to keep playing boring football. 
Then it’s Miami week 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.