Anyone talking about our run D?

Skyline Chili

2 minutes ago, Skyline Chili said:

If so, please merge.  Rodgers was out of the game, Wilson no threat, and they seemed to run effectively.  Why?

Inexperience at MLB, aging safeties who take bad angles at times, maybe bad gap integrity.  It's been an issue and is likely not going to get better anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

At one point Hall was 2 rushes for 109 yards, so I think it should be a major concern  for your team.

Yeah after he broke 1 run for 83 yards, was run down, and got..... 3 points.

More concerned with our headcase under center.  Breece Hall is a great young player, but he ain't the difference between winning it all and not.  He's a good fantasy guy.

Just now, FireChans said:

More concerned with our headcase under center.  Breece Hall is a great young player, but he ain't the difference between winning it all and not.  He's a good fantasy guy.

Ok, I give you that, but it was his second rush of the game, he gassed out and didn't score. The Jets should have scored a TD, but the fact that he was able to break that run off tells you a lot about your defense. I'm not talking *****, just stating facts. If he didn't break that run off we wouldn't even have scored 3 points. So yes, the run defense Is an issue foe your defense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

Ok, I give you that, but it was his second rush of the game, he gassed out and didn't score. The Jets should have scored a TD, but the fact that he was able to break that run off tells you a lot about your defense. I'm not talking *****, just stating facts. If he didn't break that run off we wouldn't even have scored 3 points. So yes, the run defense Is an issue foe your defense 

Is our run defense great? No.  Is a great run defense necessary to win a Superbowl, particularly through a gauntlet of great QB's in the AFC?  Also no.

Just now, FireChans said:

Is our run defense great? No.  Is a great run defense necessary to win a Superbowl, particularly through a gauntlet of great QB's in the AFC?  Also no.

A great run defense isn't needed to win a SB? I would figure a team facing Zach Wilson would be able to stop the run considering that dude can't pass worth *****. I would be stacking the line against him. So yes, a great run defense is necessary to win a SB. It forces the other team to throw more and make more mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

A great run defense isn't needed to win a SB? I would figure a team facing Zach Wilson would be able to stop the run considering that dude can't pass worth *****. I would be stacking the line against him. So yes, a great run defense is necessary to win a SB. It forces the other team to throw more and make more mistakes.

No it's not. Chiefs were 15th in Y/A allowed rushing last year.

Passing and stopping the pass rules the NFL. This is why your team traded a bunch of picks for Rodgers. And it's why Dalvin Cook was picked up for pennies.

This is obvious stuff.

Edited by FireChans

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We can agree to disagree. But I think if a good to great defense that allows many rushing yards just exposes the defense to big passing plays, cause eventually the defense will be focused on the run and play action would slice them up

I don't understand why teams don't run every time against us. It been a weakness for years and our secondary used to be able to make plays. Now that our secondary is old & slow i get wanting to throw it more but jeez your guaranteed 5 yards per carry

Edited by uticaclub

28 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Bills got gashed for 172 yards on 28 carries I believe. They had some good stops, but also gave up a lot of big runs. I’m actually amazed the Jets didn’t run way more often. Had they, we probably wouldn’t have even made it to OT. 

Rex Ryan would point out it happened on mostly 3 runs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

lol youre outta your tree.  swap cook for him and play a pro style offense and you'll fix a lot of headaches. 

• Eyeroll 1

Minus the one blown 83 yard run we gave up 89 yards on 27 rushes 3.29 ypc

I didn’t think our run d was terrible minus that big run.  Lost a couple outside contains but I expected our run D to be worse than it was.  

I really thought Josh and Dorsey were the only problems last night.  Looked like Spencer Brown was getting pushed back all night but not sure if that was the case or if Josh was taking off prematurely 

Same thing has been happening since McDermott arrived. We’re a defense that relies on everyone doing their 1/11. McDermott preaches it for a reason. Poyer and Hyde don’t do their role well in the run the game. When a RB gets through the front the safeties need to be that last line of defense but they usually take poor angles. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.