Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Marty was 5-13 in the playoffs. Not exactly the same.

It’s not about being afraid of change. It’s about believing there’s a head coach available that is better than McDermott and also better than Andy Reid.

I don’t completely dismiss the Cincy game but it’s the only time the Bills have been lifeless in a playoff game. So yes I need more than that to fire McDermott. 

Many people are creating an unrealistic expectation for the next head coach.

That's a fair position and post. 

As for myself, I've seen enough to think McD can't get it done come playoff time. Obviously, you disagree. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's a fair position and post. 

As for myself, I've seen enough to think McD can't get it done come playoff time. Obviously, you disagree. 

No, I agree. I’m not confident in McDermott at all. But there is a world where the Bills offense continues to be good but the defense takes a giant step backwards. 

Im also not sold on the players in the playoffs either. I think we’ve been missing closers in the playoffs, especially on defense.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No, I agree. I’m not confident in McDermott at all. But there is a world where the Bills offense continues to be good but the defense takes a giant step backwards. 

Im also not sold on the players in the playoffs either. I think we’ve been missing closers in the playoffs, especially on defense.

I think we actually have those this year in Ed O and Floyd. Ed is having his best season by far and we all see what Floyd brings to the table. I like either of those guys to disrupt a play when we really need it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:55 AM, GunnerBill said:

I mean they have beaten us twice with Josh. Once in 900° heat (and Josh missed Isaiah for a walk in touch down at the end) 

Can't let this pass. Allen didn't miss McKenzie, McKenzie was picking daisies and didn't get his head around in time to catch the ball. He also later decided, in the wisdom of his tiny head, not to run out of bounds to stop the clock after he did catch a ball. That loss was on him as much as anyone. What a pinhead. 

We'll look back at this era and shake our collective heads at the mediocre WR corps Allen has had to throw to. Outside of Diggs (and Beasley for two years), he's throwing to these wide receivers: McKenzie, Davis, John Brown, Andre Roberts, Sanders, Duke Williams, Kumerow, Stevenson, Harty, Sherfield, and Shakir. (I still have hopes for Shakir.)

I'm a big fan of Beane's roster-building. But the big hole is his resume is wide receiver. He finally saw the light on McKenzie. Maybe he'll notice that Brady is ignoring Gabe Davis and realize it's for a very good reason.  

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

What I find funny is you go to Miami boards and they are all talking about how they are about to lose the division becuase - as they say - they are paper tigers and they know it.

they will lose out 

Drew, it still stuns me that even though their team is 10-4 and have the Bills coming up at home the Bills live absolutely, positively rent free in their heads. 

Forgive me, but their stress over the Bills is like nectar or ambrosia to me.  It's just so good and if the Bills take care of their own business we get to so wonderfully enjoy this everyday for the next 10 days leading up to the glory of Dolphins week with the hopes of the division still being on the line.

Man, it has already been like Christmas since they lost to the Titans.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

32 minutes ago, finn said:

Can't let this pass. Allen didn't miss McKenzie, McKenzie was picking daisies and didn't get his head around in time to catch the ball. He also later decided, in the wisdom of his tiny head, not to run out of bounds to stop the clock after he did catch a ball. That loss was on him as much as anyone. What a pinhead.

I agree on the second point. But Josh missed him on the first throw. It bounces 3 yards infront of McKenzie. That was a QB miss. Isaiah's head is round when the ball is halfway there. It just falls short. 

4thdown.jpeg

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Enter Leonard Floyd and the new Ed Oliver. I think von will bring it come playoffs.  AJ playing for his big $ as is Daquan, Shaq, JP (if he plays).  Our DL can carry us.    

On D, i’m not worried about closers.  I’m worried about McD with the game on the line.  

On O, I’m worried about our run game being able to produce like we are counting on them to produce. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not here to say McD is a poor coach because that's just not true. His regular season accomplishments and consecutive playoffs appearances are impressive. What equally unimpressive are his playoff losses going back year after year after year. 

Fast forward to this year and the Bills are in a dogfight. None of us imagined the Bills would be in such a predicament. The playoffs are certainly in question.

At this point, the bar seems to have lowered. Perhaps many will be satisfied with a playoff appearance and a subsequent playoff game. Anything after that is gravy. I think I'm even beginning to have that mindset. Funny how the human brain works. 

Another year of coach McD...

No it's not just 13 seconds. He's screwed the policy a plenty during his playoff tenure. He's been badly out coached on several occasions. 

I think this is a fair assessment. We all want things to be black and white since it's so much easier and more gratifying that way. But the truth is usually more nuanced, and the truth is that McDermott has been very good in some ways and really pretty poor in others. In sum, his contributions probably amount to a wash. Firing him would not be worth the disruption and risk of ending up with someone worse. 

No, McDermott is a permanent part of the Josh Allen era. We have to acknowledge that he has played a key role in getting the Bills this far--and also a key role in their faltering several years in a row. His Achilles Heel is the close game. Let's hope he has applied his vaunted Process to himself and learned from his many mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Enter Leonard Floyd and the new Ed Oliver. I think von will bring it come playoffs.  AJ playing for his big $ as is Daquan, Shaq, JP (if he plays).  Our DL can carry us.    

On D, i’m not worried about closers.  I’m worried about McD with the game on the line.  

On O, I’m worried about our run game being able to produce like we are counting on them to produce. 

McD was dialing up quite a few 0 blitzes earlier this year and teams had our number.

They were diagnosing the tells and had ready answers that were moving the sticks.

I think he and his coaches have done some self-scouting and have gotten better at disguising those looks. Also a lot of new faces in the defensive lineup where those nuances may have a learning curve.

I do think he has made some poor decisions in crucial moments, but has managed the team well through a lot of adversity.

Rather than throw the baby out with the bath water I could see them looking for an up and coming defensive coach that could once again take on those DC duties and free him for the HC duties that he has performed admirably.

Folks like to get creative with the scapegoat narrative lumping in the Frazier release, but we knew what a Frazier defense was before McD came along... safe, bend don't break, zone scheme with minimal blitz or pressure packages.

Works well against the lions share of offenses, but gets dismantled by elite QBs and receivers that can work the flats and the sticks all the way down the field.

I am not scared of change, but change for change sake is not enough to justify the risks.

• Agree 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:11 AM, Mango said:

There’s a chance this game is win and in or for the 2 and 7 seed.

If things play out like we hope I think this game is prime for Sunday night to close out the league year. Making the sun a total non-factor. Which would be an awesome way to end all of Miami’s home field advantage. 

I'm taking the Bills all day in that scenario and 5 times on Sunday

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

I think this is a fair assessment. We all want things to be black and white since it's so much easier and more gratifying that way. But the truth is usually more nuanced, and the truth is that McDermott has been very good in some ways and really pretty poor in others. In sum, his contributions probably amount to a wash. Firing him would not be worth the disruption and risk of ending up with someone worse. 

No, McDermott is a permanent part of the Josh Allen era. We have to acknowledge that he has played a key role in getting the Bills this far--and also a key role in their faltering several years in a row. His Achilles Heel is the close game. Let's hope he has applied his vaunted Process to himself and learned from his many mistakes. 

Very thought out post. Just wondering how disruptive letting McD go would be?

My initial thought is not that much. Why? We've seen teams do this with immediate success. The Eagles, Texans, and the Broncos jump off the page as examples. What do these teams have in common with the Bills? QBs that are more than able to win.

Point being Allen can almost lead the new coach to wins. The coach just has to close out games. Of course, this is a bit simplistic but the theory applies. 

Running it back with McD again just seems like an old recipe that's safe but always ends up short.

Who is out there to jump start the team? Inviscerate new blood, new concepts, a swagger, innovation, etc...im sure that person is out there. Peyton was that guy but the cost was too much. Harbaugh and Ben Johnson seem like solid choices. Others care to comment?

In the end, the point is mute because McD isn't going anywhere. He's solid and we just have to hope he can get over the hump. I get how fans want to rally behind McD. I may as well jump on the bandwagon and enjoy the McD train ride. I'll be riding coach though. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

McD was dialing up quite a few 0 blitzes earlier this year and teams had our number.

They were diagnosing the tells and had ready answers that were moving the sticks.

I think he and his coaches have done some self-scouting and have gotten better at disguising those looks. Also a lot of new faces in the defensive lineup where those nuances may have a learning curve.

I do think he has made some poor decisions in crucial moments, but has managed the team well through a lot of adversity.

Rather than throw the baby out with the bath water I could see them looking for an up and coming defensive coach that could once again take on those DC duties and free him for the HC duties that he has performed admirably.

Folks like to get creative with the scapegoat narrative lumping in the Frazier release, but we knew what a Frazier defense was before McD came along... safe, bend don't break, zone scheme with minimal blitz or pressure packages.

Works well against the lions share of offenses, but gets dismantled by elite QBs and receivers that can work the flats and the sticks all the way down the field.

I am not scared of change, but change for change sake is not enough to justify the risks.

I like the input on this thread. Very solid and stimulating as a Bills fan. Your post certainly adds quality to the discussion. 

I'd like to push back a little here. 

I think McD should remain the DC. He's a really good defensive coach. Not sure his replacement would be more effective and nothing more than a puppet or scapegoat for McD. I think he capable of doing both. 

I'd argue in the minority the opposite which will never happen. I'd like for McD to step down and be the DC only. Enter a new offensive minded head coach. Win win here. 

Change always comes with risks but it comes with rewards as well. Look at the Josh Allen pick as an example. Huge risk with huge rewards. It's not change for change sake with the Bills. It's a change to push the team to the SB. Something that McD has woefully failed to do the last two seasons. I think the risks are minimal here and easily overcome with the right choice as head coach. 

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The thing is, judging from your body of work as a poster here, you would think McDermott can't get it done come playoff time even if he *could*

You're the Bulletin Board posting embodiment of a Type II error**

You have a 3 year record here of having all sorts of reasons (besides McDermott) why the Bills were going to lose.

2020: "I see one playoff win and then we lose. Is this considered a successful season? "

and: "The same logic can be applied to the Rams game and to some extent the New England game. Those were 2 games we should have lost. Refs bad PI call. Horrific fumble by Newton. Perhaps add in the raider game as well."

2021: "What do you expect from a New England based reporter? The Bills weaknesses are on both sides of the lines. They got manhandled on the lines vs Pitt, Tenn, Colts, and Jags. The "soft" label isn't a unfair statement. We will see if the Bills can she'd this label and beat the Pats. "

2022: "Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo. They have weapons galore on offense and a innovation modern day coach. The Bills aren't cruising past them for the division. It will be a dog fight likely to the end. The Bills have proven that can't beat KC or Cincinnati in the playoffs. This year is likely the same outcome. Both teams have tested and proven playoff winners. Mahomes and Burrow are clearly better than Allen come playoff time. Allen is not the Allen of 13 seconds in KC. That year and that game was an outliner. We haven't seen that version of Allen in 3 years and likely never will. We fans have to stop thinking that's the version of Allen we will get! Instead, we will get an inconsistent Allen. One who will make spectacular plays and bone head plays."

and: (prior to the Dolphins game):"Bills are chasing the Dolphins early in the season. Could this be the changing of the guard with a Miami win?"

and: (October 31) "AFC - Cinci. Burrow is elite. Big time weapons. Experienced team. NFC - Philly. They are just too good. Biggest surprises Bills miss the playoffs. Dolphins play in the AFC championship game."

---------------that's just a 5 minute sample without looking too hard.  I know there was "better" stuff to be found.---------------

My points:

1) You can't have it both ways.  If the Bills have had 13-3, 11-6, 13-3 records the last 3 years while having an inconsistent bonehead QB (whose 13 second game was an outlier) and while being weak on both sides of the lines and soft, then they must have a damned good coach to compensate.  And if all that's true (and there's some truth to it), maybe the problem isn't the coach.

2) After a sufficient number of false negative opinions, it becomes clear that someone's negative views are relatively meaningless.  You were predicting doom and gloom and playoff losses or early exits back in 2020 (AFCCG year), way before McDermott had any track record to support "McD can't get it done come playoff time".  You may be right; you may be wrong, but you've been wrong enough that it's "eh".

I'm not saying the Bills will go deep in the playoffs this year.  The injuries run deep on defense, I think we lack enough skill position talent on offense, and I'm not sure about Brady yet.  It's also possible that the negative take on McDermott is correct.

I'm just saying that based on your track record here, your belief that McDermott can't get it done come playoff time should not be taken as evidence either way.

**since I was asked: statistically, a Type II error is a false negative conclusion.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I like the input on this thread. Very solid and stimulating as a Bills fan. Your post certainly adds quality to the discussion. 

I think McD should remain the DC. He's a really good defensive coach. Not sure his replacement would be more effective and nothing more than a puppet or scapegoat for McD. I think he capable of doing both. 

I'd argue in the minority the opposite which will never happen. I'd like for McD to step down and be the DC only. Enter a new offensive minded head coach. Win win here. 

Change always comes with risks but it comes with rewards as well. Look at the Josh Allen pick as an example. Huge risk with huge rewards. It's not change for change sake with the Bills. It's a change to push the team to the SB. Something that McD has woefully failed to do the last two seasons. I think the risks are minimal here and easily overcome with the right choice as head coach. 

People like to put him in these boxes, but I think McD is an offensive-minded head coach ....and special teams-minded....and defensive-minded. He wants an offense that put up a ton of points and plays complimentary football. He knows that a high scoring offense is what allows his defense to dominate. He wants an uber-talented dual-threat QB and great running game, just like he had in Carolina when they made their Super Bowl run. He hasn't made it to the big dance yet, but he has the same mindset as Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, and other successful "non-offensive minded" guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'll believe in McDermott when the Bills D actually stops a team that has the ball at the end of a close game.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree on the second point. But Josh missed him on the first throw. It bounces 3 yards infront of McKenzie. That was a QB miss. Isaiah's head is round when the ball is halfway there. It just falls short. 

4thdown.jpeg

I agree; the ball was about 3 yards short - he just missed him on that throw.

Edited by CSBill

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

4thdown.jpeg

Some context please - wasn't Allen and Dawkins the ONLY Bills players that were on the field for EVERY offensive snap in the sauna like conditions where almost every other Bills player spent time on the sideline suffering heat stroke?  When Allen missed on that pass it was near the end of the game and one can only guess how little he had left in the tank at that point.

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Some context please - wasn't Allen and Dawkins the ONLY Bills players that were on the field for EVERY offensive snap in the sauna like conditions where almost every other Bills player spent time on the sideline suffering heat stroke?  When Allen missed on that pass it was near the end of the game and one can only guess how little he had left in the tank at that point.

Yes. I mentioned that in my original post on the subject. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I have yet another problem with the NFL and the Competition Committee here. If the rules say a team can only have shade structures if the opponent has shade structures, but they are already in the shade, we have a fairness issue. Once again, total BS. Just like “home games” in another team’s second home and jet lag “experiments”. Stuff like this can decide who wins games, and advances to the playoffs. 

Even I read what I’m typing and it feels like whining, but it’s real. It does not appear that the league cares about “competitive advantage” stuff like this.  If they don’t care, I care a little less. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I can get behind your thinking outside the box because it never hurts to think through alternative paths to success and sometimes change is needed.

The question remains whether McD is that guy that can get this team over the playoff hump and to the big show; Making the right defensive and ST calls in pivotal moments against talented teams to protect a lead and close the door.

Some have already made up their minds and I am unlikely to shift those opinions. I like listening to Marino and I know where he stands on the subject and can respect how he got there.

Perhaps I am a bit too patient, but my preference usually leans more towards incremental positive tweaks rather than blowing up something that is largely successful to start anew. I also like to weigh the feedback from the locker room and (to me) it does not sound like he has lost this team.

I get that there is some anecdotal evidence that offensive-minded HCs have faired better winning out in recent years with the Pats dynasty having ended.

As far as McD's continued coaching of the defense, I think McD is a good defensive coach, but one that relies a lot on a system he has where he simply has to have the right guys to plug in to be successful, but those systems are often easier to teach.

He and Beane have swung for the fences on some defensive pickups and overpayed for guys that have not quite panned out, but overall I would give them a passing grade drafting/developing & acquiring FA defensive talent.

Edited by WideNine
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Great! The big old Super Jinx!!!

Or….is it the reverse jinx?  🤷‍♂️

Or maybe a terrible Chris Breman imitation? 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Some look at your posting track record and believe you are actually either a NE or a Dolphins fan.

That's ridiculous. I'm critical of the Bills and overly critical to a flaw at times. But my intentions are always for the better of the Bills. I badly want to see a parade in Buffalo and the Bills hoisting the Lombardi. Make no mistake about that. 

You can question my thinking and rational because that's fair game. I admit I'm wrong often. But to imply or question my loyalty to the Bills is flat out wrong. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No one is saying that Josh had no rational reason behind why he might have missed the throw.  But this sub-thread started when someone tagged McKenzie as at fault for missing that catch.  The point was, whatever valid reasons Josh might have for missing that throw, the miss was on Josh.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, judging from your body of work as a poster here, you would think McDermott can't get it done come playoff time even if he *could*

You're the Bulletin Board posting embodiment of a Type II error**

You have a 3 year record here of having all sorts of reasons (besides McDermott) why the Bills were going to lose.

2020: "I see one playoff win and then we lose. Is this considered a successful season? "

and: "The same logic can be applied to the Rams game and to some extent the New England game. Those were 2 games we should have lost. Refs bad PI call. Horrific fumble by Newton. Perhaps add in the raider game as well."

2021: "What do you expect from a New England based reporter? The Bills weaknesses are on both sides of the lines. They got manhandled on the lines vs Pitt, Tenn, Colts, and Jags. The "soft" label isn't a unfair statement. We will see if the Bills can she'd this label and beat the Pats. "

2022: "Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo. They have weapons galore on offense and a innovation modern day coach. The Bills aren't cruising past them for the division. It will be a dog fight likely to the end. The Bills have proven that can't beat KC or Cincinnati in the playoffs. This year is likely the same outcome. Both teams have tested and proven playoff winners. Mahomes and Burrow are clearly better than Allen come playoff time. Allen is not the Allen of 13 seconds in KC. That year and that game was an outliner. We haven't seen that version of Allen in 3 years and likely never will. We fans have to stop thinking that's the version of Allen we will get! Instead, we will get an inconsistent Allen. One who will make spectacular plays and bone head plays."

and: (prior to the Dolphins game):"Bills are chasing the Dolphins early in the season. Could this be the changing of the guard with a Miami win?"

and: (October 31) "AFC - Cinci. Burrow is elite. Big time weapons. Experienced team. NFC - Philly. They are just too good. Biggest surprises Bills miss the playoffs. Dolphins play in the AFC championship game."

---------------that's just a 5 minute sample without looking too hard.  I know there was "better" stuff to be found.---------------

My points:

1) You can't have it both ways.  If the Bills have had 13-3, 11-6, 13-3 records the last 3 years while having an inconsistent bonehead QB (whose 13 second game was an outlier) and while being weak on both sides of the lines and soft, then they must have a damned good coach to compensate.  And if all that's true (and there's some truth to it), maybe the problem isn't the coach.

2) After a sufficient number of false negative opinions, it becomes clear that someone's negative views are relatively meaningless.  You were predicting doom and gloom and playoff losses or early exits back in 2020 (AFCCG year), way before McDermott had any track record to support "McD can't get it done come playoff time".  You may be right; you may be wrong, but you've been wrong enough that it's "eh".

I'm not saying the Bills will go deep in the playoffs this year.  The injuries run deep on defense, I think we lack enough skill position talent on offense, and I'm not sure about Brady yet.  It's also possible that the negative take on McDermott is correct.

I'm just saying that based on your track record here, your belief that McDermott can't get it done come playoff time should not be taken as evidence either way.

**since I was asked: statistically, a Type II error is a false negative conclusion.

What a long post of nothing. I stand by everything I said. I'm the first one to admit I was wrong when I'm wrong. 

Talk about having it both ways. Your post is one big hedge. 

No one on this planet knows if McD will or will not get it done! It clearly opinionated. It goes without saying my opinion is not evidence . Not once have I implied that. The reason why you go there is obvious. You and lots and lots of others don't agree with my viewpoint. It's safe to say I rub many the wrong way. I sincerely apologize for that.

Diversity is fantastic.  "Strengths lies in differences, not in similarities."

Edited by newcam2012

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's ridiculous. I'm critical of the Bills and overly critical to a flaw at times. But my intentions are always for the better of the Bills. I badly want to see a parade in Buffalo and the Bills hoisting the Lombardi. Make no mistake about that. 

You can question my thinking and rational because that's fair game. I admit I'm wrong often. But to imply or question my loyalty to the Bills is flat out wrong. 

I don't think it's the critical or 'overly critical to a flaw' part, though I applaud the self-awareness to acknowledge that last. Kudos for that, I do respect it.

I think it's more the quick trigger on predicting success for the Pats and the Fins and sometimes other teams that has some saying :blink:   I'm just pointing out how some see it.  Clearly I'm not the only one.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What a long post of nothing. I stand by everything I said. I'm the first one to admit I was wrong when I'm wrong. 

Talk about having it both ways. Your post is one big hedge. 

No one on this planet knows if McD will or will not get it done! It clearly opinionated. It goes without saying my opinion is not evidence . Not once have I implied that. The reason why you go there is obvious. You and lots and lots of others don't agree with my viewpoint. That's the beauty of the forum here.

Diversity is fantastic.  "Strengths lies in differences, not in similarities."

I'm hedging on my viewpoint of McDermott, which is nothing new.  I've said it before, I have my receipts.  I acknowledge that sometimes the Bills line play has been soft.  That's nothing new - McDermott has commented on lack of physicality in the line play at times.

I'm not hedging on you: you are consistently so negative that some do think you're a fan of other teams.  Furthermore, you're dunking on McDermott as incapable of winning, while simultaneously trailing a track record of dissing on the Bills players of major position groups and on Josh Allen. 

Which is it?  Either Or, Not Both.  If the 2021 Bills were weak on both sides of the lines and have an inconsistent bone-headed playmaker at QB, then it's not McDermott's fault that the Bills got stopped in the division round.  Soft teams with inconsistent or boneheaded QB play usually DO get stopped.   Ditto if Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo AND McDaniels is a much better coach.  How'd they lose to us earlier this season then?

You "stand by everything you said" is inconsistent with "I admit I was wrong when I'm wrong".   You were wrong about one playoff win then we lose in 2020.  We went to the AFCCG that year.  You were wrong in predicting a "changing of the guard" with a Miami victory due to their "much better roster" earlier this season.  etc.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I'm hedging on my viewpoint of McDermott, which is nothing new.  I've said it before, I have my receipts.  I acknowledge that sometimes the Bills line play has been soft.  That's nothing new - McDermott has commented on lack of physicality in the line play at times.

I'm not hedging on you: you are consistently so negative that some do think you're a fan of other teams.  Furthermore, you're dunking on McDermott as incapable of winning, while simultaneously trailing a track record of dissing on the Bills players of major position groups and on Josh Allen. 

Which is it?  Either Or, Not Both.  If the 2021 Bills were weak on both sides of the lines and have an inconsistent bone-headed playmaker at QB, then it's not McDermott's fault that the Bills got stopped in the division round.  Soft teams with inconsistent or boneheaded QB play usually DO get stopped.   Ditto if Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo AND McDaniels is a much better coach.  How'd they lose to us earlier this season then?

You "stand by everything you said" is inconsistent with "I admit I was wrong when I'm wrong".   You were wrong about one playoff win then we lose in 2020.  We went to the AFCCG that year.  You were wrong in predicting a "changing of the guard" with a Miami victory due to their "much better roster" earlier this season.  etc.

One can be right on certain topics as well as wrong on the results. 

Case in point the Bills were weak in the trenches last year and they still won lots of games. However, come playoff time vs excellent teams those weaknesses came to light. So its fair to say the Bills in the trenches were weak and aided in not achieving their goal. Despite one playoff win and a great regular season. It's fair to say McD did a poor job in preparation, schemes, and adjustments in last years playoffs. 

It doesn't have to be either or as you are putting it. It's not either McD solely or the players solely. Surely, you can't be that naive. 

Buffalo beat Miami but there still might be a "changing of the guard." You see it doesn't have to be one or the other. Surely, you can't be that naive. 

It obvious I'm critical of the coach and the roster. It's not popular here. I'm not the only one here. I'm not on some crusade to blast negativity. What I said had/has merit. The end results are unknown until they happen. To point out my wrongs after the fact are more than fair. However, you can go back and find wrongs on everyone. 

Let me give you a fine example. For the longest, I've been advocating for the Bills to move on from McD. While doing so, I've received so much negative feedback and opposing views. I welcomed it all. However, my stance was pretty much on an island with the exception of a few. Fast forward to about a month ago while I was in time out. So many on here were echoing similar stances to mine. It was confirmation that maybe my thinking wasn't off. Much different than being right or wrong. 

One can be wrong and stand behind what they said based on many supportive variables without being inconsistent. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Think of the draft process as a great example. 

Again another failed attempt to personally attack me with the other fan nonsense. All I can do is laugh. 

Edited by newcam2012

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Let me give you a fine example. For the longest, I've been advocating for the Bills to move on from McD. While doing so, I've received so much negative feedback and opposing views. I welcomed it all. However, my stance was pretty much on an island with the exception of a few. Fast forward to about a month ago while I was in time out. So many on here were echoing similar stances to mine. It was confirmation that maybe my thinking isn't off. Much different than being right or wrong. 

One can be wrong and stand behind what they said based on many supportive variables without being inconsistent. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Think of the draft process as a great example. 

One can also hold an opinion that is wrong at a momen in time that if held later would be correct. Even if there is grounds for firing McDermott after this season, that doesn't mean you were right when you wanted to fire him 2 years ago. It doesn't work like that. Life isn't so binary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3