Missed Draft Picks Will Catch Up

PepeSilvia

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There are people on this board who want the Bills to lose so they can brag and say I told you so.

Yup this is it completely.  People need to show how smart they are, they know more than everyone else.

Amazing too the OP has all of 22 posts. 

Really should be a rule you need to make about 500 posts before starting a new thread and need to be a board member for at least 90 days before even responding to a thread.

As far as the content, as has been stated Epenesa isn't a bust, he's not making the pro-bowl but a decent rotational player.  If the Bills hadn't drafted Benford, good chance Elam would be starting.  But one of these freak things happened where a 6th rounder was way undervalued and had shown he's capable of being a starter. 

One of the themes with Beane is he tends to draft more on potential, Allen, Knox, and Edmunds are few names that come to mind, but there are others. First off when you draft these guys, they'll usually take longer to develop and think the risk does go up that they may end op being a bust too as more guessing as to what they may become.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

They don't and that was my point about KC's 2019 draft.

TBH I forgot Fenton moved on from KC, so I guess they have 1 player left from their 2019 draft? a backup OG and people want to criticize Beane's poor drafting? 

I love that you're trying to use the fact that Veach has drafted well enough to replace starters who took contracts with other teams as a negative.  Never mind that every player he drafted that year is still in the league despite only having 808 total draft value points to with with.  For comparison, Beane had 2,260.

Beane just inked Ed Oliver and Dawson Knox to 4 year extensions for a combined $120,000,000 with $76,000,000 guaranteed.  Is that really better than letting them walk and drafting their replacements like Kansas City did?  I mean, Knox and Oliver are decent players just as Hardman and Thornhill are, but are they really so hard to replace in the draft that they're worth $30mm a year?

17 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Agree 100% and at some point sooner than later years of horrendous drafting going to catch up with this team which is why myself and many other pundits expecting a big regression this year.

Also no this isn't another username or burner account of mine.

false……

most of a teams roster turns over significantly over a 4 year period even with stable coaching/GM..

your core players you drafted, you keep long term ( QB, WR, OT, OL, DL, LB, CB)

with other places you use free agency and drafting to fill in holes.

from drafting/ prospect development from PS you are looking about 35-40 players while the rest of the roster of 20 or so players you drafted or signed to multi- year contracts as free sgents.

30 minutes ago, Billl said:

I love that you're trying to use the fact that Veach has drafted well enough to replace starters who took contracts with other teams as a negative.  Never mind that every player he drafted that year is still in the league despite only having 808 total draft value points to with with.  For comparison, Beane had 2,260.

Beane just inked Ed Oliver and Dawson Knox to 4 year extensions for a combined $120,000,000 with $76,000,000 guaranteed.  Is that really better than letting them walk and drafting their replacements like Kansas City did?  I mean, Knox and Oliver are decent players just as Hardman and Thornhill are, but are they really so hard to replace in the draft that they're worth $30mm a year?

Because Veach has a great track record with WRs, is it Powell that been on PS for 2 years? Skyy Moore certainly lived up to his 2nd round selection last year. My point is every GM is imperfect even the best make mistakes.

There are traditionally two differing perspectives I read on this Board. On the one hand, leading up to the draft, there are those who put extreme value on draft position and rounds. They typically don’t want to see the Bills trade any picks away believing that they are super important to the future of the roster. And on the other hand there are those who look back on the most recent and previous years and ask ‘what was that all about?’ as they watch players flame out, be traded away, or leave on their own. I’m not sure if they’re actually the same people who just change their minds from March until August, or if they’re two distinct camps of fans. Either way, if you take a big picture perspective I always contend the entire process is a total crap shoot with tons of moving pieces. Drawing hard lines in the sand is a fools errand!

FWIW, Brandon Beane’s Draft Picks other than Allen Listed as Starters to Open the Season

Gabe Davis, 2020, 4th Round

Cyress O’Torrence, 2023, 2nd Round

Spencer Brown, 2021, 3rd Round

Dawson Knox, 2019, 3rd Round

James Cook, 2022, 2nd Round

Greg Rousseau, 2021, 1st Round

Ed Oliver, 2019, 1st Round

Terrell Bernard, 2022, 3rd Round

Kaiir Elam, 2022, 1st Round

Taron Johnson, 2018, 4th Round

Tyler Bass, 2020, 6th Round

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

FWIW, Brandon Beane’s Draft Picks other than Allen Listed as Starters to Open the Season

I don't think any of the last 4 you listed are starters.

I'm sure someone pointed out already, Tre was picked by the old FO. 

Beane can't get credit for that one. So only real early "hit" was Allen, and to a lesser extent, Edmunds (given the way he's viewed around the league).

But yeah, drafting poorly in the first 2 rounds & committing so much to defense is clearly not working out. It also has the side effect of making Josh look inept to general fans & a lot of the media. 

Burrow & Hurts are now considered more credible, while Josh's stock has fallen. But their FO's have built up their lines & weapons, while ours stopped at Diggs.

3 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire anyone?

exactly... Sky moore?

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Plus great depth , on a legit SB contender.  Not too shabby. 

Maybe ppl just miss Buddy Nix! 🙄

@PepeSilvia dumps another hot mess thread and takes off into the sunset.  This is like his 3rd one.

Pepe joined the day after (Dec 7th 2021) the NE wind/weather game.

He never showed up again until after the Bills stomping of the Patriots in January to start a thread entitled "McDermott and Beane 

Have to Go".  He then didn't post until after the Bills lost to KC with his "Cancun on 3" thread.

Now he is back with this hot turd of a thread.  LOL.  I can smell these trolls a mile away!

• Like (+1) 1

Josh - Won the Lottery with this pick 

Schnow man - hit

Gabe - hit - round 4 

Dane Jackson - hit - round 7 

Dawson Knox - hit - round 3 

Taron Johnson - hit - round 4 

Matt Millano - Big Hit - round 5 

Saran Neal - good player - round 5

Tyler Bass- hit - round 6 

Cook - looks the part yet to be determined 

Edmunds - gone because he was a hit

Levi Wallace - gone because he was a hit & a UDFA 

Dodson - UDFA 

Cam Lewis - UDFA 

Hodgins - gone because he was a hit - round 6 

Basham - gone because he showed he may be a good player 

Harrison Phillips - Gone because he was a hit 

Wyatt Teller - All Pro - round 5 - Beane admitted mistake in letting him go 

Ray Ray Mcloud - gone still playing for other team good player round 6 

Singletary - good player round 3 

Jaquan Johnson - good player - round 6 

Sweeney - Bam Johnson still playing for other teams 

Oliver - good player very productive no bust 

Epenesa - good player very productive no bust 

Benford - Shows good up side undetermined yet

Yah every player can't be a HOF pick but to say Beane has missed on a lot of players i think could be disputed with the ones that have been very productive that he has brought on board since his being hired . Sure Ed hasn't lived up to his draft status but he's for sure no Aaron Maybin .

So before you go casting stones at Beane look at his over all cast and what they have done since he got here then go back & look at what was before he got here then make a determination of what is so terrible today in the life of a Bills fan .

4 hours ago, Billl said:

I don't think any of the last 4 you listed are starters.

OK, take 'em off then.  But Bass is the starting K, no?  Or has something changed.  

Bernard is currently listed on TOS as the starter.  

Elam, likely not, but he along with Benford and Jackson are listed collectively as starters.  My guess is the team hasn't finalized it yet.  

Johnson's the starting NCB insofar as we know.  

I completely agree that neither Bernard nor Elam are starting caliber players, and Bernard's obviously only starting for that reason and unless Dodson starts.  So let's take those two off then.  I say keep Taron on there as the NCB since they're only starting two LBs on any depth chart that's been put out, and for as unorthodox as it is.  Here's what's left.  

Pepe Pepe Pepe,

ffs get a grip on yourself, 

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

exactly... Sky moore?

Plus great depth , on a legit SB contender.  Not too shabby. 

Maybe ppl just miss Buddy Nix! 🙄

Depends upon one's perspective.  Most of those players appear to be depth caliber to me with only a few exceptions.  On D it's Oliver and Rousseau, but neither is much above average.  Oliver's great when he's on, but his disappearance acts are concerning and they'll often last several games.  I'd put him at above average but not by much.  

There's quite a bit of hope that Rousseau turns into a much better player too.  But after his first few games last season he all but disappeared too.  Half of his stats (Sacks, TFLs, QBHits) are in his first five games.  After that in his next ten games his stats were below-average.  So unless someone uses the lame defense that he was constantly double-teamed thereby opening things up for others nonsense, he was below average after that.  He had 0 Sacks, 0 TFLs, and only 1 QBHit in both playoff games.  

Johnson's good as a nickel, but obviously they don't care for him enough to start at CB.  

Bernard, Elam ... meh.  

Bass, he's a kicker.  

Torrence looks the part as does Kincaid who's not listed as a starter.  

Cook has yet to prove that he can handle more than 140 touches in college or the NFL.  Big season for him.  

Knox is OK but also inconsistent, and his drop % isn't low.  

Brown has yet to prove something.  

Davis is IMO the best draft pick that we have starting with this year's draft class pending.  Oddly, that's a minority sentiment.  

20 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

“When will we hold Beane accountable.”

”Beane only hit on Allen and Diggs.” 

“Beane can’t draft in the 2nd round”. 

How is it possible 100 fans on this board suddenly started saying the same thing at the same time? 

I swear some people on this board secretly want it all torn down so they don’t have to deal with the pressure of winning and rooting for a winning organization. 

Ive consistently belabored the fact that we have missed too often in the top 100, only to redraft those positions over and over again. 

We don’t pay Allen yet ($18M this year)keep redrafting the same positions, and covering it up in FA. It’s why we are negative space with for next year with only 2 DE under contract after drafting 3 in the top 100 in recent years. Which means we’ll draft at least one high again next year.  

The Bills aren’t broken. Beane doesn’t need to be fired. But he absolutely has to be better in this aspect or we might be. 

Beane had found gems, and had some misses.

That's the NFL, and that's the NFL draft.  Any analysis that judges how he has done HAS to be compared to the rest of the league.  The Bills have done pretty well when you add that comparison into the mix - they're one of the better teams in terms of draft success over the past 4-5 years.

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Depends upon one's perspective.  Most of those players appear to be depth caliber to me with only a few exceptions.  On D it's Oliver and Rousseau, but neither is much above average.  Oliver's great when he's on, but his disappearance acts are concerning and they'll often last several games.  I'd put him at above average but not by much.  

There's quite a bit of hope that Rousseau turns into a much better player too.  But after his first few games last season he all but disappeared too.  Half of his stats (Sacks, TFLs, QBHits) are in his first five games.  After that in his next ten games his stats were below-average.  So unless someone uses the lame defense that he was constantly double-teamed thereby opening things up for others nonsense, he was below average after that.  He had 0 Sacks, 0 TFLs, and only 1 QBHit in both playoff games.  

Johnson's good as a nickel, but obviously they don't care for him enough to start at CB.  

Bernard, Elam ... meh.  

Bass, he's a kicker.  

Torrence looks the part as does Kincaid who's not listed as a starter.  

Cook has yet to prove that he can handle more than 140 touches in college or the NFL.  Big season for him.  

Knox is OK but also inconsistent, and his drop % isn't low.  

Brown has yet to prove something.  

Davis is IMO the best draft pick that we have starting with this year's draft class pending.  Oddly, that's a minority sentiment.  

i agree with almost everything but in response I'd say he won 3 straight divisions. 3 straight playoff Wins

Built a juggernaut out of a terrible-mediocre team.

Plus the genius move of using a 1st on Diggs which so many ppl here discredit him for because it was a trade. He has his faults like 31 other GMs butttt his positives far outweigh his negatives imo and I feel like the facts back that up 

He built 1 of the best QB/WR duos, which attracts FAs. Give the man his credit!

it's so much deeper than talent.  Look at our locker room. Our core guys matches up with any team

Edited by JerseyBills

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

i agree with almost everything but in response I'd say he won 3 straight divisions. 3 straight playoff Wins

First of all, I don't recall bringing "he" into it.  But since you did, consider a few alternate opinions. 

Was it a tough division during that stretch?   Or would you say that it really hasn't been all that competitive?   Which other QBs in the division have been very good or better consistently?  

Built a juggernaut out of a terrible-mediocre team.  

How much does Allen factor into that?  

IYO, say Allen was on any number of teams before this one, how would we have been then?  You suggesting he'd only be good for a game or two back then?  

If Allen weren't his QB, how do you see our records?  

Plus the genius move of using a 1st on Diggs which so many ppl here discredit him for because it was a trade. He has his faults like 31 other GMs butttt his positives far outweigh his negatives imo and I feel like the facts back that up   

Genius?  Anytime a team buys an establshed great player, I'm not sure I'd put that in a genius category.  But opinions obviously differ.  

To me genius would have been drafting Jefferson instead at much lower expense for four seasons.   Seems to me he had to sign Diggs because of all the whiffing on getting any great WRs here without buying an established one.  JMO however.  

He built 1 of the best QB/WR duos, which attracts FAs. Give the man his credit!  

Again, due to Allen.  Only possible because of Allen, nonexistent without him.  

Why aren't any of the other drafted positions playing at similar levels at their positions?  

it's so much deeper than talent.  Look at our locker room. Our core guys matches up with any team

We'll certainly find out if that's the case in his 7th season which starts very soon.  

17 hours ago, Billl said:

Care to show your work on that one?

His career numbers in just 2 seasons (1 being his rookie year all while learning a completely new NFL defense) included 4.5 sacks, 37 tackles 20 of which were solo, 5 TFL's, 8 QB hits, 1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defensed, & 1 INT .

He also recorded 2 of his sacks & 1 pass break up in his 4 post season appearances. So i would say he was setting the world on fire but in a rotational role & 1 of those years being his rookie season Beane could have done a hole lot worse with that pick . 

Edited by T master

Just stop with this draft pick stuff...Some Bills fans still can't get over the Donte Whitner pick...

Let...it... go... as this team was just 13-3!

The Buffalo Bills have one of the very best, if not the best darn QB in the NFL, and some can't stop talking about a missed draft pick in some round.

EVERY TEAM MISSES SOMETIMES! 

Guess who moved up in the 2018 draft to select the ONE QB worth anything, Yea, that's right, Brandon Beane.

Now, if he has selected Backer Mayfield #1 overall, then complain. If he has selected Sam Darnold #3 overall, then complain. Now, imagine being a NY Jets fan when the team could have drafted Allen, and instead drafted Darnold...then went on to miss on Zach Wilson with the #2 overall in 2021. 

IF Beane HAD DRAFTED THE GUY SO MANY BILLS FANS WERE CLAMORING FOR IN JOSH ROSEN. Some don't wanna recall that they wanted Beane to give up the farm to trade up to the #2 spot with the NY Giants to get Rosen. Where is Rosen now?

I'll bet that every team in the NFL that drafted before the #7 pick wishes they had drafted Josh Allen. 

Anyway, who shives a git about trading away a guy they were gonna outright cut if they couldn't find a trade partner?

Just be happy that this team didn't give up 3 #1 picks to trade up to draft Trey Lance! Only to give him away for a 4th. 

On 8/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, PepeSilvia said:

Boogie a 2nd round draft pick being traded for a late round draft pick is just another one of Beane’s whiffs.

Josh Allen and Stefan Diggs cover up so much for this team and it’s going to be more and more apparent how much next year when Josh’s contract kicks in and you can’t pay free agents to make up for your draft whiffs

2022 (No. 25 overall): Kaiir Elam -   can’t get on the field

2021 (No. 30 overall): Gregory Rousseau, still undecided on how good he is. Plays much better when Von Miller is on the field. Not sure he’s a #1 pass rusher a nice complimentary rusher

2020 (No. 54 overall): A.J. Epenesa, bust

2019 (No. 9 overall): Ed Oliver, not worth the contract he got nor how high he was drafted 

2018 (No. 7 overall): Josh Allen, hit

2017 (No. 27 overall): Tre'Davious White, hit

We all know about all of the 2nd round whiffs starting with Zay Jones

im sure a 1st round pick last year and couple 2nd round picks from the last few years would look pretty good on the o-line or Lb’s right about now

With that being said, we have a good team this year and this might be it for a few years before they can get some salary off the books and draft better which I don’t think a lot of us have faith that they can do

Fluffy-Somber-Gazelle-size-restricted.gi

Boogie a 2nd round draft pick being traded for a late round draft pick is just another one of Beane’s whiffs.

Josh Allen and Stefan Diggs cover up so much for this team and it’s going to be more and more apparent how much next year when Josh’s contract kicks in and you can’t pay free agents to make up for your draft whiffs

2021 (No. 30 overall): Gregory Rousseau, still undecided on how good he is. Plays much better when Von Miller is on the field. Not sure he’s a #1 pass rusher a nice complimentary rusher

2019 (No. 9 overall): Ed Oliver, not worth the contract he got nor how high he was drafted 

im sure a 1st round pick last year and couple 2nd round picks from the last few years would look pretty good on the o-line or Lb’s right about now

With that being said, we have a good team this year and this might be it for a few years before they can get some salary off the books and draft better which I don’t think a lot of us have faith that they can do

Do you mean the Zay Jones who is still starting for the Jags.  Or Teller, or Milano, you know that 1st team all pro LB.

What about the acquisitions of Hyde, Poyer, Diggs, Morse, pro bowler Dawkins, acquiring the immovable force Daquan Jones, this year Poona, Settle a solid 1 tech DT, and I can keep going.

You carry picked to support a biased agenda for a GM who is one of the best in the league as examples by the experts.  You don’t look at just some draft picks and make dumb claims.  You didn’t even add Edmunds who is a multi pro bowler.

A team and GM is not evaluated with incomplete information, not to mention not even a complete post.

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Do you mean the Zay Jones who is still starting for the Jags.  Or Teller, or Milano, you know that 1st team all pro LB.

What about the acquisitions of Hyde, Poyer, Diggs, Morse, pro bowler Dawkins, acquiring the immovable force Daquan Jones, this year Poona, Settle a solid 1 tech DT, and I can keep going.

You carry picked to support a biased agenda for a GM who is one of the best in the league as examples by the experts.  You don’t look at just some draft picks and make dumb claims.  You didn’t even add Edmunds who is a multi pro bowler.

A team and GM is not evaluated with incomplete information, not to mention not even a complete post.

Lol edmunds. He didn’t even get a second contract, but was supposed to be a core player.

spare me with the pro bowls. The pro bowl is a joke and had been for years

teller and zay jones aren’t on the team anymore either…

i still am flabbergasted by the fact everyone is saying “right because the Cheif’s draft so well”

This isn’t about the chiefs drafting but they’ve won 2 super bowls including 1 in what should have been a “rebuilding” year

where the Bills have regressed in each other last 2 years with Josh Allen’s big cap set to hit next year

This has nothing to do with how well or not we’ll the chiefs draft and has to do with Beans not getting enough impact from his high draft picks 

who cares when I joined? 

21 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

@PepeSilvia dumps another hot mess thread and takes off into the sunset.  This is like his 3rd one.

Pepe joined the day after (Dec 7th 2021) the NE wind/weather game.

He never showed up again until after the Bills stomping of the Patriots in January to start a thread entitled "McDermott and Beane 

Have to Go".  He then didn't post until after the Bills lost to KC with his "Cancun on 3" thread.

Now he is back with this hot turd of a thread.  LOL.  I can smell these trolls a mile away!

you’re a “time on” kind of guy eh?

cool guy smelling trolls from miles and miles away with your extensive knowledge 👍 

I bet your talents are a real riot at family parties

Edited by PepeSilvia

2 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Lol edmunds. He didn’t even get a second contract, but was supposed to be a core player.

spare me with the pro bowls. The pro bowl is a joke and had been for years

teller and zay jones aren’t on the team anymore either…

i still am flabbergasted by the fact everyone is saying “right because the Cheif’s draft so well”

This isn’t about the chiefs drafting but they’ve won 2 super bowls including 1 in what should have been a “rebuilding” year

where the Bills have regressed in each other last 2 years with Josh Allen’s big cap set to hit next year

This has nothing to do with how well or not we’ll the chiefs draft and has to do with Beans not getting enough impact from his high draft picks 

who cares when I joined? 

you’re a “time on” kind of guy eh?

cool guy smelling trolls from miles and miles away with your extensive knowledge 👍 

I bet your talents are a real riot at family parties

Thanks for proving my point as it doesn’t matter whether a player is still here.  Is he’s still valuable in the NFL.  Point Beane. 0 Peepee.

You continue to cherry pick.  Provokes don’t matter.  Ok. Then it’s ok we have now moving forward.  You’re in a minority.  Edmunds secured a $72 mil contract so obviously someone thought he was a good LB.

where in my msg did I write something about the chiefs draft?

It interesting your others reference calls you out as you swoop in whenever you can throw shade.  Go back to whatever team you really support as Bills fans are smarter than you.  We know a troll when we see one.

29 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for proving my point as it doesn’t matter whether a player is still here.  Is he’s still valuable in the NFL.  Point Beane. 0 Peepee.

You continue to cherry pick.  Provokes don’t matter.  Ok. Then it’s ok we have now moving forward.  You’re in a minority.  Edmunds secured a $72 mil contract so obviously someone thought he was a good LB.

where in my msg did I write something about the chiefs draft?

It interesting your others reference calls you out as you swoop in whenever you can throw shade.  Go back to whatever team you really support as Bills fans are smarter than you.  We know a troll when we see one.

The bears gave edmunds an absurd amount of money, and considering their recent record, I’m sure that’s a great point of reference to use. 👍 

the whole point of this thread was to point out that Beane hasn’t gotten enough impact or ROI on his draft picks and that sooner rather than later it’s going to catch up starting next year.

so I’m hoping that this is the year because it’s going to get tough to bring in free agents to cover up draft mistakes 

Edited by PepeSilvia

15 minutes ago, PepeSilvia said:

The bears gave edmunds an absurd amount of money, and considering their recent record, I’m sure that’s a great point of reference to use. 👍 

the whole point of this thread was to point out that Beane hasn’t gotten enough impact or ROI on his draft picks and that sooner rather than later it’s going to catch up starting next year.

so I’m hoping that this is the year because it’s going to get tough to bring in free agents to cover up draft mistakes 

Talk to me when you have 1000 posts.  Until then you’re a negative Nelly looking for flaws.  So obvious.  

Definitely should've drafted the Humphback Whale over Boogie:cry:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.