Bills practice Thurs 8/17 starting with McD interview

Beck Water

don't know yet whether the practice is open or not.  Last practice before Bills travel to Pittsburgh for game on Saturday

Good news on Gabe Davis if he's actually better.  Disagreement on Baylon Spector.  Parrino says he's back, Capaccio says "will not practice"

It's official.  Even McDermott thinks it's a problem:

If that's so, then why did his first 2 teams dump him, the first after he couldn't get on the field for a season and a half?

Is he just a practices like Tarzan, plays on Sunday like Jane type of guy?

• Haha (+1) 1

But we had speedy Isaiah McKenzie and super-speedy Nyheim Hines last season, and somehow couldn't figure out how to use them effectively very much

Joe Buscaglia breaks the tie: he heard it the same way as Parrino on Spector, both different from Capaccio: Spector will practice

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

But we had speedy Isaiah McKenzie and super-speedy Nyheim Hines last season, and somehow couldn't figure out how to use them effectively very much

Isaiah sucked last year. I think if he showed he was dependable he would have got a lot more run. He just kinda sucks.

Maybe Isabella doesn't suck. Or maybe he sucked but doesn't suck anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Him saying he’s concerned about MLB made me upset. Huge failure.

I think they expected Bernard to step up and take the role.   With his injury, you dont have much to work with.  Only guys worth looking at in free agency at this point are Anthony Barr, Jarrad Davis, and Rashaan Evans.    At this point I am not sure any of those three guys can learn the defense and calls to be anywhere near ready to start for the team.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If McD actually admits he isn’t happy with the leadership and communication with MLB, that is 10/10 concerning for Dodson. I wouldn’t be shocked if Klein gets meaningful snaps on Saturday. 

Bernard may get an in-season chance to claim the job, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Doran Williams gets late-season looks at MLB. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 11

I’d honestly rather have Josh play next week against the Bears as after that they won’t have a game till the opener for 15 days which is basically like giving someone a bye week. 
The Steelers though should be a decent test I’m sure even in preseason Tomlin is showing his defensive staff what Josh and crew did to them last year. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think they expected Bernard to step up and take the role.   With his injury, you dont have much to work with.  Only guys worth looking at in free agency at this point are Anthony Barr, Jarrad Davis, and Rashaan Evans.    At this point I am not sure any of those three guys can learn the defense and calls to be anywhere near ready to start for the team.

They’ll likely go with AJ Klein as the failsafe. Hopefully Klein has tread left. Dodson doesn’t look capable of being the run downs MLB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, with one possibility still sidelined with a hammy, the third guy coming back from being sidelined (or maybe not, according to Sal), and the lead horse swinging his helmet around and getting a new one torn by Josh for it on Weds then needing to be addressed by both the LB coach and McDermott yesterday (and fetched off the field by the head trainer and director of player personnel afterwards),

===>would any of us find him credible in the least if he didn't express concern?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Isaiah sucked last year. I think if he showed he was dependable he would have got a lot more run. He just kinda sucks.

The fact is, McKenzie managed to stay in the league and on the field for 6 seasons, now going into his 7th and still fighting for a roster spot.  He's a popular whipping boy here on TBD, but 5th round picks don't do that unless show something. 

What are the options here?  Either McKenzie, in fact, doesn't suck - he didn't succeed when asked to take on a broader role as Beasley's replacement in the slot, but when he was used in ways that exploited his speed, he stayed on the team and on the field.  Or, our FO/pro player personnel and offensive coaches are just stupid because they failed to agree with you that he sucked.  (And built a top-5 offense the last 3 years while being so stupid)

"Don't hassle me with the Facts, Son"

My point wasn't about McKenzie succeeding or not in his role as a Beasley slot replacement (he didn't), my point was that the Bills offensive coaches last season had Hines for half the season and McKenzie all season (two fast guys), and did not manage to use them in a way that leveraged their best attribute - their speed.

34 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Maybe Isabella doesn't suck. Or maybe he sucked but doesn't suck anymore.

Isabella was drafted in the 2nd round.  High draft picks usually get more leeway, yet he was dumped off his first team before the end of his contract.  They tried to trade him and no one was interested. 

It's always possible that "3rd team's the charm", sure

35 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Lots of guys they could have signed but didn't, not good.

Who do you feel they could have signed at MLB but didn't?  Don't tell me Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner.  The first wanted to keep his family in Tampa where they've lived for 11 years.  The second wanted to "go home" to Seattle.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If McD actually admits he isn’t happy with the leadership and communication with MLB, that is 10/10 concerning for Dodson. I wouldn’t be shocked if Klein gets meaningful snaps on Saturday. 

Bernard may get an in-season chance to claim the job, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Doran Williams gets late-season looks at MLB. 

Or we trade for a real linebacker if it turns into a sh*tshow.

• Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

don't know yet whether the practice is open or not.  Last practice before Bills travel to Pittsburgh for game on Saturday

Good news on Gabe Davis if he's actually better.  Disagreement on Baylon Spector.  Parrino says he's back, Capaccio says "will not practice"

If that's so, then why did his first 2 teams dump him, the first after he couldn't get on the field for a season and a half?

sometimes a scheme fits player better on other teams...   sometime it takes a player longer to mature, and learn what it takes...who know what the reason but if he can play welcome to buffalo.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think they expected performance growing pains with Dodson and Bernard. Nard-dog got hurt, and I think the leadership/communication issues with Dodson was unexpected. 

I think you're right.  I think they were concerned about Dodson's ability to cover the run and not get sucked in by PA, and how to handle the coverage responsibilities he couldn't manage the way Pteredactyl Arms could.

Dodson has been a leader on a top ST unit - I think he has the green dot on ST - so I don't think they anticipated any leadership and communication issues there.

3 minutes ago, gordong said:

sometimes a scheme fits player better on other teams...   sometime it takes a player longer to mature, and learn what it takes...who know what the reason but if he can play welcome to buffalo.

You're correct, but on the other hand we've seen it before that a guy is a Preseason Hero and Squibbs on Sunday in the regular season.  The Bills have a draft pick and an UDFA invested in 6'4" WR who can play ST.  Then they have Ateman and Dezmon Patman, who are also 6'4". 

That suggests that the Bills see a need for a tall strong WR and are quadrupling down to try and find a guy who can play.  Do they cut them all, and keep Isabella? 

Do they move on from last year's 5th rounder, Shakir, who has already demonstrated similar numbers to Isabella's rookie season (but with less WR talent in front of him as a roadblock and in 6% more snaps), and who shows both great promise and inconsistency?

Or do they keep 7 WR?  But how do they do that, and maintain depth at TE and keep all the guys they want to keep on D?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think they expected performance growing pains with Dodson and Bernard. Nard-dog got hurt, and I think the leadership/communication issues with Dodson was unexpected. 

Not sure it should have been unexpected that a guy who got arrested for domestic violence has issues with getting in fights during practice.

Edited by MWK

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think you're right.  I think they were concerned about Dodson's ability to cover the run and not get sucked in by PA, and how to handle the coverage responsibilities he couldn't manage the way Pteredactyl Arms could.

Dodson has been a leader on a top ST unit - I think he has the green dot on ST - so I don't think they anticipated any leadership and communication issues there.

You're correct, but on the other hand we've seen it before that a guy is a Preseason Hero and Squibbs on Sunday in the regular season.

the preseason hero's of the past didn't really have the coaching staff saying as many good things about them as this guy though....   if they do keep him I like have more then just one fast guy though. if shorter doesn't show something this week I would say it looking good for him. 

55 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, with one possibility still sidelined with a hammy, the third guy coming back from being sidelined (or maybe not, according to Sal), and the lead horse swinging his helmet around and getting a new one torn by Josh for it on Weds then needing to be addressed by both the LB coach and McDermott yesterday (and fetched off the field by the head trainer and director of player personnel afterwards),

===>would any of us find him credible in the least if he didn't express concern?

I'm surprised he said that.  Perhaps we look to make a trade? 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

That’s motivator McD talk right there. That’s coaching. We know MLB will be a weak link and will probably be an open competition all season. The defense isn’t going to be the same without Edmunds so the MLB will not be asked to do as much. That slack will be picked up by the big nickle/safeties/scheme change. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a package with 1 LB, Johnson and Rapp on the field.

Isabella is going to get a practice squad spot. Either that or a parking lot cut agreement if someone unexpected goes on IR.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

one of 2 things-

1. they like him or

2. they know he won't make the team and they are boosting his image to try to flip him for a late round pick- same thing with Boogie Basham

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m shocked that the mediocre group of Dodson, Bernard and Spector are providing mediocre results.

Then again, McD was also really concerned about Diggs at one point and look how that turned out. 

I know they took it off the radar, but I still say they are missing the boat so to speak on not giving Williams a shot there. Yes, the position requires a lot and may be a bit much for him right now.

But let the kid in there to take a few lumps, learn some lessons and get the reps so he's up to speed come January. Put your most talented players on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

one of 2 things-

1. they like him or

2. they know he won't make the team and they are boosting his image to try to flip him for a late round pick- same thing with Boogie Basham

I think they are talking up Isabella so that he stays and goes to the practice squad for a few weeks at the very least. (Assumed your comment was about Isabella)

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon pinned this topic
52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The fact is, McKenzie managed to stay in the league and on the field for 6 seasons, now going into his 7th and still fighting for a roster spot.  He's a popular whipping boy here on TBD, but 5th round picks don't do that unless show something. 

What are the options here?  Either McKenzie, in fact, doesn't suck - he didn't succeed when asked to take on a broader role as Beasley's replacement in the slot, but when he was used in ways that exploited his speed, he stayed on the team and on the field.  Or, our FO/pro player personnel and offensive coaches are just stupid because they failed to agree with you that he sucked.  (And built a top-5 offense the last 3 years while being so stupid)

"Don't hassle me with the Facts, Son"

My point wasn't about McKenzie succeeding or not in his role as a Beasley slot replacement (he didn't), my point was that the Bills offensive coaches last season had Hines for half the season and McKenzie all season (two fast guys), and did not manage to use them in a way that leveraged their best attribute - their speed.

Isabella was drafted in the 2nd round.  High draft picks usually get more leeway, yet he was dumped off his first team before the end of his contract.  They tried to trade him and no one was interested. 

It's always possible that "3rd team's the charm", sure

Who do you feel they could have signed at MLB but didn't?  Don't tell me Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner.  The first wanted to keep his family in Tampa where they've lived for 11 years.  The second wanted to "go home" to Seattle.

Anything but Dodson, everyone has been questioning the MLB position since Tremaine left and it takes til the 2nd preseason game to be concerned ?  You draft Dorian and immediately say he is Milano's backup, can't give the dude a chance ?  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think all of this is spot one.  As someone else, I think if you'd asked the Bills in May who the MLB would be, they would have said Bernard.   I think Bernard was less than they hoped, and that's why Dodson was competitive.   

Good chance it'll be Bernard when he works his way back in, and Williams later in the season (perhaps with Milano or a safety calling the defense).   And heavy doses of Klein.   

Far from ideal.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think all of this is spot one.  As someone else, I think if you'd asked the Bills in May who the MLB would be, they would have said Bernard.   I think Bernard was less than they hoped, and that's why Dodson was competitive.   

Good chance it'll be Bernard when he works his way back in, and Williams later in the season (perhaps with Milano or a safety calling the defense).   And heavy doses of Klein.   

Far from ideal.  

Klein has his limitations but seems like the best bet for now. Best run stopper and I know he is not the best pass defender but don’t let an effective running game against us set up weakened pass plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Didn’t even try. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because obviously they must have felt they had an in house starter. 

It's funny because people are always like sO yOu ThInK yOu KnOw MoRe ThAn ThE tEaM and in some cases, like this one, fans and media did seem to know better.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Bigvinny said:

For the in house GM'S, Lavonte David would have considered Buffalo if Von reached out to him, they didn't even try.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2023/03/lavonte-david-admits-one-thing-could-have-swayed-him-to-choose-buffalo-bills-over-buccaneers-in-free-agency.html

Yeah that’s old news. If the Bills had made him feel wanted and offered maybe 0.5M more than Tampa, I don’t think he goes back to a losing franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.