Is the MLB Competition Over Before It Started?

JackKemp

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't care what those pundits say

I know for a fact you could fall on a squib kick at the 30 and no time will come off and the same thing could have happened...that ls a fact it could happen 

You could also pooch it high.. and guess what the ball could still run into the end zone and you get it at the 25 with no time off

Your handle might be Einstein but you're not a football guru

Play that scenario at 100 times... Pat mahomes can still get that field goal if you squib kick it... Just because we squibbed it in week five doesn't mean we would in the playoffs

It's the perfect time to try something new since we lost the other way... And guess what they still scored so no difference

How about play defense? That's the solution Einstein

Yeah, the kicking issue is hit or miss. Didn’t cost the game at all. Was solely on what they did on the plays KC did to get into Field Goal range. 

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Yeah, the kicking issue is hit or miss. Didn’t cost the game at all. Was solely on what they did on the plays KC did to get into Field Goal range. 

Like he's trying to say since we squibbed kicked it against Kansas City the next time we played that it was the right call

But they still got into field goal range

It wasn't the right call in that situation

The right call is to kick it out of the end zone...  and play real defense

Even one of bass's nice sky kicks that teams catch at the 10 usually... they could just let roll out of the end zone too

ALL The options end with defense

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The entire media did not do what you are saying.  

I'll tell you what, find a handful that did not, then let's reconvene.  

If you honestly think you know more about NFL defenses than McD you need to quit smoking what you’re smoking or drinking what you’re drinking.  

I never said that, can you please show me where I did.  The exact quote please.  

You and others are under the mistaken impression that NFL teams can have All Pro talent at all positions.  

Again, please show me where I said that, or any such thing.  I'm on record here at least several times, where I've said the polar opposite.  Again, exact quote please.  In fact, and thinking that I know what my own opinions actually are, I've been an ardent proponent behind the notion that a team full of average to above-average players is better than a team with three or four all-pro players, some average players, and a bunch of mediocre players otherwise.  

It's all about chemistry and continuity.  A good QB is also obviuosly necessary.  

What’s going on in this message board is there are a handful of folks who are here to do nothing but criticize no matter what the team does.  

No, what's going on in this message board is a shameless attempt to paint both McD and Beane without any significant flaws or decision-making whatsoever, whether personnel related or game related.  Note, "13 Seconds" apparently has nothing to do with McD.  Nearly the entire football media world mentions Beane's lackluster drafts, but here it's the opposite.  Same for last season's meltdown in the playoffs, apparently it had all to do with Allen, Frazier, the defenders personally, but McD is all but completely absolved and blame-free.  

Their shortcomings are all minor according to most, with all of the major ones not having anything to do with Beane or McDermott in an effort to ensure that their halos are not tarnished.  

Meanwhile, "let's see what happens this season" is a non-starter for the people defending them.  We'll see how it shakes out, but as is my opinion, I think that there's going to be an epiphany of sorts regarding McD and the defense following the season.  

And before you or anyone else continues to put words in my mouth and tell me what I think, I'm hoping for the complete opposite.  I'm hoping once again for the #1/#2 D, a Championship as I've stated repeatedly, like any fan wants for that matter, and for our offense to set records, which I've also stated numerous times.  In fact, I don't think you'll find a more optimistic person about our offense in this forum.  

The rest was a tantrum that I'm not going to validate or dignify.  Otherwise, awaiting for your validation of the things you said I said.  And it's funny, according to some here, some posters actually do know more than McD or Beane, particularly since they contradict them at times and yet are applauded for their takes.  Just sayin'.  Double-edged sword that you're wielding there.   

Otherwise, let's enjoy the season, hope for (finally) a Championship, and have these heated discussions following it.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'll tell you what, find a handful that did not, then let's reconvene.  

I never said that, can you please show me where I did.  The exact quote please.  

Again, please show me where I said that, or any such thing.  I'm on record here at least several times, where I've said the polar opposite.  Again, exact quote please.  In fact, and thinking that I know what my own opinions actually are, I've been an ardent proponent behind the notion that a team full of average to above-average players is better than a team with three or four all-pro players, some average players, and a bunch of mediocre players otherwise.  

It's all about chemistry and continuity.  A good QB is also obviuosly necessary.  

No, what's going on in this message board is a shameless attempt to paint both McD and Beane without any significant flaws or decision-making whatsoever, whether personnel related or game related.  Note, "13 Seconds" apparently has nothing to do with McD.  Nearly the entire football media world mentions Beane's lackluster drafts, but here it's the opposite.  Same for last season's meltdown in the playoffs, apparently it had all to do with Allen, Frazier, the defenders personally, but McD is all but completely absolved and blame-free.  

Their shortcomings are all minor according to most, with all of the major ones not having anything to do with Beane or McDermott in an effort to ensure that their halos are not tarnished.  

Meanwhile, "let's see what happens this season" is a non-starter for the people defending them.  We'll see how it shakes out, but as is my opinion, I think that there's going to be an epiphany of sorts regarding McD and the defense following the season.  

And before you or anyone else continues to put words in my mouth and tell me what I think, I'm hoping for the complete opposite.  I'm hoping once again for the #1/#2 D, a Championship as I've stated repeatedly, like any fan wants for that matter, and for our offense to set records, which I've also stated numerous times.  In fact, I don't think you'll find a more optimistic person about our offense in this forum.  

The rest was a tantrum that I'm not going to validate or dignify.  Otherwise, awaiting for your validation of the things you said I said.  And it's funny, according to some here, some posters actually do know more than McD or Beane, particularly since they contradict them at times and yet are applauded for their takes.  Just sayin'.  Double-edged sword that you're wielding there.   

Otherwise, let's enjoy the season, hope for (finally) a Championship, and have these heated discussions following it.  

That is crap.  In this very thread I said Frazier and McDermott were to blame for 15 seconds.  And when you claim there’s unanimity that Williams can’t be a MLB it took me 5 minutes to find several sites that say he could.  And talking about Beana and McD having halos is kind of the definition of a tantrum.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

That is crap.  In this very thread I said Frazier and McDermott were to blame for 15 seconds.  And when you claim there’s unanimity that Williams can’t be a MLB it took me 5 minutes to find several sites that say he could.  And talking about Beana and McD having halos is kind of the definition of a tantrum.

Who said I was referring to you there?  I'm referring to in general.  If you choose to enter the fray as such, that's your prerogative, just don't expect me to accept you telling me what my opinions are.  And if you read the very first sentence of the very post you're hemming and hawing about, you'd have noted this.  

So I take the lack of your ability to put words in my mouth as crap as well, given that you simply expect me to accept what you say my opinions are.  I think I know what they are thank you.  

And honestly, so many people here act and respond as if should we win a championship, that some posters are going to be sitting at home in their basements sulking and being pissed off.  SMH  Shame on those people.  If you choose to include yourself, feel free, but that's your choice. 

Here's what you said;  

What’s going on in this message board is there are a handful of folks who are here to do nothing but criticize no matter what the team does.  

That's hardly me.  I'm arguably Gabe Davis' biggest apologist and defender here.  I'm the only one that I've seen that states that IMO we can have a historically good offense this season.  Oddly, and in light of your comment above as stated earlier, I've even taken heat for those two things.  So really what we're talking about here are sponsored narratives, which when not supported, become problematic, whether they support team decision-making or not.  And funny too how Beane and McD "are the experts" and "know more than anyone here," but for some reason that doesn't apply to a player like Davis.  Woudln't you say. 

Either way, if that's your sentiment, the quoted part, please take it up with those taht you complain about, not me, since it doesn't fit me.  

That's a fairly simple request.  

Now, GO BILLS!!!!  

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I thought Dodson looked very rough today. Not much we can do about it now, we are going to have to try and scheme around the weakness.

He was a problem. I’m really curious to see what they do after this game. 

4 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Bernard will go down as another bizarre premium draft pick. 

Why are people so confident this player is a bust? We’ve barely seen him. Right now his availability is a problem but we have to give the guy a chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I thought Dodson looked very rough today. Not much we can do about it now, we are going to have to try and scheme around the weakness.

Yeah it wasn’t too pretty. How did you feel about Williams today?

5 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Looked hesitant at first, like he was still thinking instead of reacting. But he looked fast and was a sure tackler at every opportunity. His run stuff on 2nd and goal was a great play. Probably not going to contribute much if at all this year, but I saw some promise for the future.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:17 AM, KDIGGZ said:

This "competition" was never much of a competition to begin with. They had Dodson, who is a career backup but knows the defense, and they had Bernard, who is the size of a safety. They never even made an attempt to replace Edmunds and I think it will come back to bite them in the you know what. The MLB is a very important piece in this defense. It's the Luke Kuechly position. You can't just stick a backup in there and call it a day

Phrases like this crack me up. Oh, so Dodson was a “career backup,” you say? Isn’t that because the guy he’s competing to replace was the starter?

Come on, Beane! Find us a career starter to replace our…starter.

Edited by WickedGame
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Looked hesitant at first, like he was still thinking instead of reacting. But he looked fast and was a sure tackler at every opportunity. His run stuff on 2nd and goal was a great play. Probably not going to contribute much if at all this year, but I saw some promise for the future.

Think you hit the nail on the head. Hesitant and overthinking. Rookie trait. Not much of a fan of throwing raw players in but that role is pivotal in this defense, and athletically, I think he may be the best pairing with Milano in the future. Maybe if the LB play is as atrocious as a lot have forecasted; a “trial by fire” is the best option?

Edited by BBFL

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

I think you saw flashes of his talent in space. His lane discipline in the run game was a bit all over the place (maybe he is an Edmunds replacement after all :D ) but he kept going and I think there is room for optimism.

1 hour ago, WickedGame said:

Phrases like this crack me up. Oh, so Dodson was a “career backup,” you say? Isn’t that because the guy he’s competing to replace was the starter?

Come on, Beane! Find us a career starter to replace our…starter.

Well he could have found someone who has been a starter elsewhere... he was allowed to do that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you saw flashes of his talent in space. His lane discipline in the run game was a bit all over the place (maybe he is an Edmunds replacement after all :D ) but he kept going and I think there is room for optimism.

Well he could have found someone who has been a starter elsewhere... he was allowed to do that. 

He has no idea how to take on a block 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was a problem. I’m really curious to see what they do after this game. 

Why are people so confident this player is a bust? We’ve barely seen him. Right now his availability is a problem but we have to give the guy a chance.

I was squarely in the “we’ll be fine at MLB” camp and I must say, after today I’m still in that frame of mind. I do have a bit more concern for certain aspects. 

The best Indy offensive pass play today, the Richardson 20 yard hole shot went right over the outstretched arm of Dodson in between the two deep safeties. It was a great throw, and IIRC the PA played a roll in Dodsons depth…but it did make me wonder if Tremaine would have gotten there for something like this.

That being said, it isn’t worth what the bears paid him given out situation. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, PBF81 said:

FWIW, we allowed our 3rd and 4th most points against Cleveland and Detroit, two of the games that Edmunds was out.  Also, the 4th and 8th most total yards.  The other game was vs. Pittsburgh, which was ranked 26th in scoring and 23rd in yardage offense.  Their QB was the rookie Pickett, who was terrible last season.  It was his second NFL start, on the road here.  Probably not the best gauge of our D with or w/o Edmunds.  LOL  

And we got clobbered by Cincinnati with him playing when it mattered the most.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure. Or paid the guy who was here. But we all wanted to crucify that guy anyway.

So…31 other candidates league wide…fewer if you only count those who played MLB in a 4-3…and how many were available as a free agent?

Bills fans just like having something to complain about. That’s all this is. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, WickedGame said:

Sure. Or paid the guy who was here. But we all wanted to crucify that guy anyway.

So…31 other candidates league wide…fewer if you only count those who played MLB in a 4-3…and how many were available as a free agent?

There are not only 31 guys who have been starters at MLB before. That is the point vs Dodson. Dodson is a career backup. He has only ever backed up. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are not only 31 guys who have been starters at MLB before. That is the point vs Dodson. Dodson is a career backup. He has only ever backed up. 

For sure... But is that more of a product that he's been behind Tremaine Edmonds and Matt Milano in our predominantly two linebacker sets?

Since we picked up Dodson as an undrafted free agent I always thought he had some attributes of a starter... A good base to develop 

Now we are going to find out

There's a reason the bills never cut him even after his domestic violence accusations

Edited by Buffalo716

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

For sure... But is that more of a product that he's been behind Tremaine Edmonds and Matt Milano in our predominantly two linebacker sets?

Since we picked up Dodson as an undrafted free agent I always thought he had some attributes of a starter... A good base to develop 

Now we are going to find out

There's a reason the bills never cut him even after his domestic violence accusations

I have always liked Dodson too. I thought he was draftable the year he came out. Was delighted when the Bills signed him as an UDFA - that is all on record on this forum. 

But the Bills are asking a lot IMO for him to step right in here. And even Klein who is their "vet insurance" guy has made the majority of his career starts as a strong side 'backer in a 4-3 or a weak side 'backer in a nickel look - both with the Panthers and the Saints. He has played the odd game here as the middle linebacker in spot duty but that is basically it. 

They have a miniscule amount of middle linebacker starting experience on this roster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, WickedGame said:

When the Bucs are terrible this year I can't wait for the 250 page trade for Lavonte David thread near the deadline.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

You're right, the rest of the D and team was stellar, if only he had shown up, we'd have won.  

🙄

So the same can be said about the opposite, use whatever brain was given to you. It may not be much, but it it should lead you to understanding that.

• Eyeroll 1

Very troubling prospect of the options available to replace Edmunds. Dodson, Bernard and Spector just haven’t shown instincts, closing speed or the physicality needed to protect the 2nd level on runs or underneath receivers. I know Beane prioritized edge rusher (Floyd) over the MLB available in FA, but AJ Klein seems like our best option over these young guys, and that is problematic. When do we admit that maybe Dodson isn’t the heir apparent to Edmunds?

14 hours ago, WickedGame said:

You can’t pay everyone

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

When the Bucs are terrible this year I can't wait for the 250 page trade for Lavonte David thread near the deadline.

I think devin white is the guy that’ll be leaving tampa, but he won’t be coming to Buffalo.

David wants to be a buc and I don’t think they’d trade him regardless if it makes sense or not.  White wants to get paid.  And he’s not worth what he wants.  

44 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Very troubling prospect of the options available to replace Edmunds. Dodson, Bernard and Spector just haven’t shown instincts, closing speed or the physicality needed to protect the 2nd level on runs or underneath receivers. I know Beane prioritized edge rusher (Floyd) over the MLB available in FA, but AJ Klein seems like our best option over these young guys, and that is problematic. When do we admit that maybe Dodson isn’t the heir apparent to Edmunds?

When someone beats him out

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

MLB is probably going to be a problem all year I imagine. Offenses will likely pick on that part of the field I imagine. 

Yup.  I think this Dobson guy is going to be under a microscope and turn into Colin Brown really fast.

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  I think this Dobson guy is going to be under a microscope and turn into Colin Brown really fast.

I keep thinking of Kojak's sidekick when you say that. (Yes, I'm pretty old.) Dodson is the price you pay for choosing to go with Kincaid and Torrence early in the draft, along with not targeting the position in free agency. I would have preferred a better veteran option than Klein, but I'd rather suffer a weakness at MLB than lose out on the best pass catcher in the draft and possibly a day one starter at G that helps solidify IOL.

I know you agree with most, if not all of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I keep thinking of Kojak's sidekick when you say that. (Yes, I'm pretty old.) Dodson is the price you pay for choosing to go with Kincaid and Torrence early in the draft, along with not targeting the position in free agency. I would have preferred a better veteran option than Klein, but I'd rather suffer a weakness at MLB than lose out on the best pass catcher in the draft and possibly a day one starter at G that helps solidify IOL.

I know you agree with most, if not all of this. 

I prefer Dobson over Dodson.

You know I thought we made the correct decision.  We can’t continue to stack the D using our most valuable resources.  Sometimes you have to make shocked salad out of chicken ***t

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:17 AM, KDIGGZ said:

This "competition" was never much of a competition to begin with. They had Dodson, who is a career backup but knows the defense, and they had Bernard, who is the size of a safety. They never even made an attempt to replace Edmunds and I think it will come back to bite them in the you know what. The MLB is a very important piece in this defense. It's the Luke Kuechly position. You can't just stick a backup in there and call it a day

An entire front office of a top 5 NFL team disagrees with you, we will take a wait and see approach to see who is right.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

You can’t pay everyone

I think devin white is the guy that’ll be leaving tampa, but he won’t be coming to Buffalo.

David wants to be a buc and I don’t think they’d trade him regardless if it makes sense or not.  White wants to get paid.  And he’s not worth what he wants.  

Right. My point exactly. OP wants to moan that we’ve replaced Edmunds with a backup instead of a starter. But what the heck else were we supposed to replace him with?

Don’t get me wrong, I think Edmunds had value. It’s just that his value was primarily size rather than skill. Now we’ve replaced him with less size and as-yet-unproven skill.

Count me among those who believe you can’t pay everyone and we’ve paid the right people. I’ll trust the veteran leadership in our back seven to compensate for what we lost in Edmunds, and I’m grateful we’re not over-investing in MLB in a pass-first league.  

Edited by WickedGame
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.