First time at Buffalo!

Gonzonzo

57 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Here's the link to the NFTA game day express bus service (NFTA Game Day Bus Schedule).  I think you want to take Route 253, which leaves the Metropolitan Transit Center in downtown Buffalo (181 Ellicott) and drops you off at the stadium after a stop at the McKinley Mall.  This bus route will have buses returning to the MTC a half hour or an hour after the game.   Enjoy the game!!!! 

PS When you go to Niagara Falls, take the time to ride the Maid of the MIst boat ride!!!!  The Cave of the Winds is good, too!

Maid of the Mist is a MUST! It’s one thing to see it, another to be IN IT!  Took the whole family a few years ago for the (disappointing) opener vs the Steelers. But the Saturday before we went on one of the windiest days in forever, which is saying something. It was HYSTERICAL just trying to keep our ponchos from blowing off! We were too wet to see the tears of laughter, but we have priceless video and pics. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NC-billsfan! said:

I do not live in Buffalo anymore, but I grew up there and get back every few months.

1. Really depends on time of year, but I only go once a year. I like being behind the team.

2. We arrive at 8ish. By the time you set up, tailgate for a bit, then break it down, it’s usually time to head in.

We have a group of 9 going to Commanders game if you want to join us.

3. Bills store on a non Sunday, a lot of parks on the water. Not sure if Sullivan ships are open, Chestnut Ridge.

4. No idea about this.

5. Buffalo has amazing food and restaurants. I highly, highly recommend Bar Bill and Gabriel’s Gate. Schwabels for Beef on Weck. Most Greek places are great. I had a La Nova pizza last week and liked it. There are also a ton of ethnic food restaurants. 

Enjoy the game and pm if you want to tailgate.

im sure some will bash my food selections 🤷🏻‍♂️

First....thanks for the answer!}

About comanders game, We will like to Join you and your group!!!!!!!!

We are going to stay in NYC and travel to Wash on saturday.

The same about the tailgate!!!!!!

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gonzo: (too lazy to type the rest.  I’d disagree with my Biscuit buddy only in that at the falls if you go to the American side, you can go through cave of the winds.  Look up on line and get tix.  Wear clothes that air dry as you’ll walk under smaller falls and get poured on and drenched.  My kids loved it when they were teenagers as I live in Tampa so we take them up every year for a game in September.  

Wings- you’ve had a number of suggestions so you’ll be fine.

Pizza- My favorite is Blasdell Pizza, but I grew up in Hamburg so it’s perfect for us.

You have to eat least one Mighty Taco.  There are like 35 of them across the city.

Beef on Weck.  That’s a must and get both the horseradish and dill pickles.  I haven’t read through the thread yet, but a lot of people like Schwabels or Eckles.

id arrive by 10:30 unless you’re a drinker and there will be people there at 8 am.  I’d suggest Hammers lot but it’s torn down for construction of the new stadium.

I’ll be there with my sons as we’re flying up from FL.  DM me the week before and if we can find a place to meet, happy to enjoy a burger or dog with you.

Youll have a blast, but be ready to lose you’re voice as no one sits for almost the whole game, and just in case you haven’t been to too many NFL games, go nuts screaming and hitting the seats in front of you when we are on defense.  It will be deafening, especially as it’s the opener.

Have fun brother and soak it all up.  You’ll be able to get Bills gear just about anywhere, but a thought.  GrB a license plate border for your car and take it back home.  You’d be surprised how many people even in Argentina will yell out “GO BILLS” wherever you go.  If not you can educate them on this great team and even better fans.  You’ll never see fans like this in any other NFL stadium.

Thats why we are “BILLS MAFIA”

I am going to loose my voice for sure.

We Argentines are very passionate when it comes to sports and with what I expect on this trip, I am not going to miss the chance to scream like a madman 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

My mother (and her family) is from Buenos Aires, though I haven't ever visited.  Haven't made it to a Bills home game yet either... 😢

Yo must visit BA.

Is an awesome city and right now very cheap for the americans.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with much that's already been said.

Public transportation probably isn't as convenient as what you're used to.  Rent a car if you can.

I highly doubt if the food scene in Buffalo is as interesting as BA but I would recommend trying the local foods: Buffalo Wings and, less famously, Beef on Weck.  Also, as has been mentioned, the pizza in Buffalo is very good if you go to the right place.  I disagree with Machine Gun Kelly and would not recommend Mighty Taco.  It's a local Mexican-American chain that used to be good decades ago, but IMHO has mostly deteriorated into Taco Bell.  

Niagara Falls is great.  Ride the "Maid of the Mist' when you're there to really experience the grandeur and beauty of the falls.  If visiting on the American side, take a walk out to Goal Island and visit: Terrapin Point, the Three Sisters, Cave of the Wind, and Luna Island.   

Other sights worth seeing depend on your interests.   Many people consider Buffalo a 2nd or 3rd rate city.  But that wasn't always the case.  A hundred plus years ago, Buffalo was one of the largest, wealthiest, most exciting cities in the States.  Architectural remnants, often decaying, of Buffalo's former glory are still standing.  Frank Lloyd Wright (America's greatest architect) designed a house in Buffalo you can visit and there's another Wright house about a half-hour outside the city.  There are other old buildings in Buffalo that were designed and built by prominent architects.  

Btw, there's a good Bills gift shop next to the stadium.  

Completely agree on Mighty Taco....it's one thing if your a former WNYer returning home looking for some Nostalgia but for someone coming from out of the area that's never been before there are sooooo many better places you can get food at and we have so many better Mexican places now than we have ever had in the past.  Don't waste a meal on Mighty 

If your a sports memorabilia/Bills historian kinda guy try to find some time to make it out to the Eastern Hills Mall, there's a bunch of sports collectible and flea market kinda places with a lot of cool Bills and WNY stuff in there and then Dave & Adams is a massive sports card and memorabilia place right outside of the mall.  You can also get Bills gear both new and vintage stuff.

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Dude get there wayyyy earlier than 10/11 am. If you really want to experience as much as possible, roll into the tailgate around 7:30-8:00 and just take it all in. 

This X 1000.....the tailgate always flies by way too fast.  You never know who you're going to meet and what new friends you're going to make.  Start early and give yourself enough time to head into the stadium before kickoff.  

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Dude get there wayyyy earlier than 10/11 am. If you really want to experience as much as possible, roll into the tailgate around 7:30-8:00 and just take it all in. 

If wey start taigate at 8 am we are going yo be drunk, sleeping or bith at Game time, hahahahah

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Maid of the Mist is a MUST! It’s one thing to see it, another to be IN IT!  Took the whole family a few years ago for the (disappointing) opener vs the Steelers. But the Saturday before we went on one of the windiest days in forever, which is saying something. It was HYSTERICAL just trying to keep our ponchos from blowing off! We were too wet to see the tears of laughter, but we have priceless video and pics. 

i did the maid of the mist for the first time about two weeks ago.  the canadian side isn't the maid of the mist anymore, but still the same boat ride.  it is completely worth the price of admission.  they take you so shockingly close to the falls.  i had never been on it before, but if anyone is remotely close to the area, they have to go.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with much that's already been said.

Public transportation probably isn't as convenient as what you're used to.  Rent a car if you can.

I highly doubt if the food scene in Buffalo is as interesting as BA but I would recommend trying the local foods: Buffalo Wings and, less famously, Beef on Weck.  Also, as has been mentioned, the pizza in Buffalo is very good if you go to the right place.  I disagree with Machine Gun Kelly and would not recommend Mighty Taco.  It's a local Mexican-American chain that used to be good decades ago, but IMHO has mostly deteriorated into Taco Bell.  

Niagara Falls is great.  Ride the "Maid of the Mist' when you're there to really experience the grandeur and beauty of the falls.  If visiting on the American side, take a walk out to Goal Island and visit: Terrapin Point, the Three Sisters, Cave of the Wind, and Luna Island.   

Other sights worth seeing depend on your interests.   Many people consider Buffalo a 2nd or 3rd rate city.  But that wasn't always the case.  A hundred plus years ago, Buffalo was one of the largest, wealthiest, most exciting cities in the States.  Architectural remnants, often decaying, of Buffalo's former glory are still standing.  Frank Lloyd Wright (America's greatest architect) designed a house in Buffalo you can visit and there's another Wright house about a half-hour outside the city.  There are other old buildings in Buffalo that were designed and built by prominent architects.  

Btw, there's a good Bills gift shop next to the stadium.  

Cmon Hondo, you’re just older now.  Take a time and enjoy the beef and cheese burrito hot.  I’m just kidding bud.  I love it still, but I’ll agree it’s not exactly the same as when we were young.

For me though the best is a sheet, well done, pepperoni, extra sauce from Blasdell.  I know some like others, but that one does it for me.

I already told everyone for our big family party on Saturday, we’ll have two sheets, and 100 wings on me.  50 hot and 50 medium.  We don’t do mild.  That’s just butter.  No one is that much of a wimp.

I think Gonzalo will have a great time and whole heartedly agree with you a rental car is the way or at the worst Uber.  Nothing is that close to each other so it’s worth it to drive some crappy Kia for the weekend.

1 hour ago, Gonzonzo said:

First....thanks for the answer!}

About comanders game, We will like to Join you and your group!!!!!!!!

We are going to stay in NYC and travel to Wash on saturday.

The same about the tailgate!!!!!!

We Argentines are very passionate when it comes to sports and with what I expect on this trip, I am not going to miss the chance to scream like a madman 🙂

Have a ball brother!  Hondo and Angie are right the bills store next to the stadium has pretty much everything and anything you want.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gonzonzo said:

Buffalo on a Sunday home game is intense, but I have never seen anything like BA an hour before a World Cup game, except a night in Sao Paulo when Brasil won the Cup.

20 hours ago, HOUSE said:

With all the fine looking women in Argentina I skip this trip to Buffalo 

You’d skip a vacation to see your favorite team play a game because there’s good looking girls where you live? 

I get that this was supposed to be funny, but a. It wasn’t, and b. Comes off a tad pathetic and childish. 

The guys asking for advice. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gonzonzo said:

Good morning. After more than 20 years as a fan of the Bills, this year I will fulfill one of the biggest dreams of my life and I will travel from Argentina with my brother to see them play live against the Raiders at home and then with Comanders (or whatever they are going to be called at that point in the season) as a visitor.

First, I wanted to thank everyone who day by day makes this forum the best sports forum in the world and who have helped at least my passion for the Bills grow to unsuspected limits.

Although I have been following this forum for years, there are some doubts that I have and with which you may be able to help me:

- We will be stopping, I think, at the Lenox Hotel. Looking at google maps I see that you can go to the stadium with the bus number 14. I ask you if this is possible and how long it takes approximately. Will it be very complicated then the return? If there is any other better option, please tell me.

- Regarding the tickets, I have doubts whether to go to home side (I understand it is the sunny side) or if it is better to go on the opposite side.

- What time do you recommend we arrive at the stadium? ¿10/11 am?

- Apart from Niagara Falls, which other places recommend we visit in the city (we will only be there on Saturday and Sunday of the game).

- To go for a walk around the city I see that there is a public bicycle rental system, is this correct?

- What place do you recommend us to eat? It does not have to be luxurious but something that makes us feel that we are living the Buffalo experience.

Any other recommendation you can make would be appreciated.

Sorry for so many questions I'm Go Bills!

Ps: If someone comes to travel to Buenos Aires, do not hesitate to contact me!

I nominate this for, “Best TBD post ever!” for more reasons than I can list. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gonzo: (too lazy to type the rest.  I’d disagree with my Biscuit buddy only in that at the falls if you go to the American side, you can go through cave of the winds.  Look up on line and get tix.  Wear clothes that air dry as you’ll walk under smaller falls and get poured on and drenched.  My kids loved it when they were teenagers as I live in Tampa so we take them up every year for a game in September.  

Wings- you’ve had a number of suggestions so you’ll be fine.

Pizza- My favorite is Blasdell Pizza, but I grew up in Hamburg so it’s perfect for us.

You have to eat least one Mighty Taco.  There are like 35 of them across the city.

Beef on Weck.  That’s a must and get both the horseradish and dill pickles.  I haven’t read through the thread yet, but a lot of people like Schwabels or Eckles.

id arrive by 10:30 unless you’re a drinker and there will be people there at 8 am.  I’d suggest Hammers lot but it’s torn down for construction of the new stadium.

I’ll be there with my sons as we’re flying up from FL.  DM me the week before and if we can find a place to meet, happy to enjoy a burger or dog with you.

Youll have a blast, but be ready to lose you’re voice as no one sits for almost the whole game, and just in case you haven’t been to too many NFL games, go nuts screaming and hitting the seats in front of you when we are on defense.  It will be deafening, especially as it’s the opener.

Have fun brother and soak it all up.  You’ll be able to get Bills gear just about anywhere, but a thought.  GrB a license plate border for your car and take it back home.  You’d be surprised how many people even in Argentina will yell out “GO BILLS” wherever you go.  If not you can educate them on this great team and even better fans.  You’ll never see fans like this in any other NFL stadium.

Thats why we are “BILLS MAFIA”

This guy is from Argentina where he undoubtedly has access to delicious authentic South American cuisine and you are recommending Mighty Taco? It might actually kill him!

• Haha (+1) 5

Don't worry about trying to walk around Buffalo. It isn't really a walkable city because there's not really anything to see. The truth is that it's a dirty, old, embarrassing city with almost nothing to see. Just focus on the game and make sure you go to the Falls and do Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds and it'll be a good time. If you want to go somewhere in Buffalo, you could walk around the waterfront, but it's not anything to write home about.

Game / Niagara Falls / food. I recommend Wingnutz and Bar-Bill for wings. La Nova or Bocce for pizza.

Beef on weck isn't anything special at all; don't feel obligated to try it. It's just a roast beef sandwich.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Dislike 5

57 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Don't worry about trying to walk around Buffalo. It isn't really a walkable city because there's not really anything to see. The truth is that it's a dirty, old, embarrassing city with almost nothing to see. Just focus on the game and make sure you go to the Falls and do Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds and it'll be a good time. If you want to go somewhere in Buffalo, you could walk around the waterfront, but it's not anything to write home about.

Game / Niagara Falls / food. I recommend Wingnutz and Bar-Bill for wings. La Nova or Bocce for pizza.

Beef on weck isn't anything special at all; don't feel obligated to try it. It's just a roast beef sandwich.

Dirty old city? Buffalo has some of the best Gothic, art nouveau, art deco, and Victorian architecture you will see anywhere in America

Tons of historic architecture 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dirty old city? Buffalo has some of the best Gothic, art nouveau, art deco, and Victorian architecture you will see anywhere in America

Tons of historic architecture 

As I posted earlier, we have a big time architect/author neighbor/friend who does the best stuff in Atlanta and travels the world to do amazing jobs. He saw the Bills stuff in our house and said his wife was going to the beach with friends, but he’s not a beach guy. He was going to Buffalo that week on an architectural tour. Swear to God. He also sent pics of beer, wings, beef on weck and pizza. This guy knows his stuff!  😂 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Well to be fair, Buffalo isn’t the countryside of Italy. It’s an old industrial city. Context is important. As much as people look down on Buffalo, there are many worse spots in the US. 

• Like (+1) 1

What a great thread — except for @C.Biscuit97 bragging about his Buffalo girl and @Giuseppe Tognarelli’s horribly ignorant take on the city itself.

Buffalo has been called one of the best-designed cities in the world for the structure of the city and its neighborhoods.  Nobody can tell me it’s not a great experience to stay/walk around neighborhoods like Elmwood Village and Allentown.  The architecture is brilliant — and Albright Knox art gallery is world-renowned.  But that’s not why you’re coming, so don’t worry about it.

Gabriel’s Gate for wings — check.

Bar-Bill for beef on weck — check.

Niagara Falls, including Maid of the Mist — check.

Get out to the stadium by 9 am on gameday.  Bring some beverages.  As soon as you tell folks you traveled from Argentina you’ll be the guests of honor for every tailgate you visit.

Have a great time!  I want to hear the post-visit report!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

On 8/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, Gonzonzo said:

Good morning. After more than 20 years as a fan of the Bills, this year I will fulfill one of the biggest dreams of my life and I will travel from Argentina with my brother to see them play live against the Raiders at home and then with Comanders (or whatever they are going to be called at that point in the season) as a visitor.

First, I wanted to thank everyone who day by day makes this forum the best sports forum in the world and who have helped at least my passion for the Bills grow to unsuspected limits.

Although I have been following this forum for years, there are some doubts that I have and with which you may be able to help me:

- We will be stopping, I think, at the Lenox Hotel. Looking at google maps I see that you can go to the stadium with the bus number 14. I ask you if this is possible and how long it takes approximately. Will it be very complicated then the return? If there is any other better option, please tell me.

- Regarding the tickets, I have doubts whether to go to home side (I understand it is the sunny side) or if it is better to go on the opposite side.

- Apart from Niagara Falls, which other places recommend we visit in the city (we will only be there on Saturday and Sunday of the game).

- To go for a walk around the city I see that there is a public bicycle rental system, is this correct?

- What place do you recommend us to eat? It does not have to be luxurious but something that makes us feel that we are living the Buffalo experience.

I'd recommend seeing Lewiston which is north of Niagara Falls and maybe take a hike at Art Park along the gorge...

IMO, Lewiston is the crown jewel of the area, not Niagara Falls.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Get out to the stadium by 9 am on gameday.  Bring some beverages.  As soon as you tell folks you traveled from Argentina you’ll be the guests of honor for every tailgate you visit.

Thanks.

I Will go to the stadium with mi soccer team jersey (Tigre) wha share the bills colors!

227551-800-auto.webp

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

What a great thread — except for @C.Biscuit97 bragging about his Buffalo girl and @Giuseppe Tognarelli’s horribly ignorant take on the city itself.

Buffalo has been called one of the best-designed cities in the world for the structure of the city and its neighborhoods.  Nobody can tell me it’s not a great experience to stay/walk around neighborhoods like Elmwood Village and Allentown.  The architecture is brilliant — and Albright Knox art gallery is world-renowned.  But that’s not why you’re coming, so don’t worry about it.

You’re such a dork. I defended the beautiful women of Buffalo against a vicious attack. And sorry it makes you upset that have a beautiful lady. Hit the gym, do wordle, and eat your veggies. Maybe you can too.

also hit around Delaware park and Williamsville Main Street. Messi is a short king!

• Eyeroll 1

On 8/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, Gonzonzo said:

I like in the DC area…can give you stuff about there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, djp14150 said:

I like in the DC area…can give you stuff about there.

Yesss.

please tell where I need to go?

We are going to stay in DC on saturday and sunday (all day for the game).

I am thinking on going to white house and The National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution.

any other places?

16 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This guy is from Argentina where he undoubtedly has access to delicious authentic South American cuisine and you are recommending Mighty Taco? It might actually kill him!

When in Buffalo?….

You guys are killing me.  I love fine South American food and you can get it everywhere in Tampa.  There are a lot of fine S American restaurants down here.

With all that said, and even though I eat at fine restaurants a lot with what I do for a living, but I still love mighty taco.

When you move away at 20, you somehow crave the things you loved growing up.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, eball said:

C'mon. All I speak is truth. There are virtually no active attractions in Buffalo, at least none that would inspire one to visit. It's embarrassing interacting with Buffalonians on this. Maybe I'm just used to other cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Baltimore, etc., all of which are way more pleasant to visit and you can actually walk around their vibrant city centers. With pretty much any city you visit, especially one considered major like Buffalo, there's more to do than you can fit in. In Buffalo, it's like...thud. And it's embarrassing. People say things like, "Oh, so that's...all there is?" and it happens all the time.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Eh Charlotte? I don’t think I’ve been to a more boring city. 

Buffalo is a great city but there might be different perspectives arguing past each other here. It may very well lag in the walking tour for first timers department, I can see that. Skipping the city if you only have a day before the game makes sense especially if you’re already going to the Falls. You need at least a day to eat and drink anyway.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Maybe I'm just used to other cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Baltimore

You need to get out more, if that’s what you have to offer.  It’s an ignorant take, as I noted previously.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, Araiza Curse said:

Everyone is mad at Giuseppe when CBS basically shows Niagara Falls and plays goo goo dolls all the time. 
It’s true that Buffalo is primarily an industrial city, it’s not Venice, Napa Valley, or even the Finger Lakes. 

I’m just a small town guy from Chautauqua, but I think the greater Buffalo area is incredible. It might look a little gloomy 6 months out of the year but seriously….. that was a terrible diss

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.