First time at Buffalo!

Gonzonzo

2 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

I’m just a small town guy from Chautauqua, but I think the greater Buffalo area is incredible. It might look a little gloomy 6 months out of the year but seriously….. that was a terrible diss

Born and raised near WNY. Traveled the world a bunch, and even around a lot of places in the US. WNY will always be were it started, but I’m also honest about the area. It’s an old industrial city, maybe not as bad as Detroit or Cincinnati, but it’s definitely not worth roaming around. Great food and great people, but other than Niagara Falls, I wouldn’t waste much time sight seeing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

You need to get out more, if that’s what you have to offer.  It’s an ignorant take, as I noted previously.

I mean, I didn't mention New York, Chicago, DC, etc. because obviously they are more grand than Buffalo. I was making the point that even smaller cities have more to offer than Buffalo.

6 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Born and raised near WNY. Traveled the world a bunch, and even around a lot of places in the US. WNY will always be were it started, but I’m also honest about the area. It’s an old industrial city, maybe not as bad as Detroit or Cincinnati, but it’s definitely not worth roaming around. Great food and great people, but other than Niagara Falls, I wouldn’t waste much time sight seeing. 

and the weather SUCKS!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

C'mon. All I speak is truth. There are virtually no active attractions in Buffalo, at least none that would inspire one to visit. It's embarrassing interacting with Buffalonians on this. Maybe I'm just used to other cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Baltimore, etc., all of which are way more pleasant to visit and you can actually walk around their vibrant city centers.

Hold on a minute.......Baltimore????????

Baltimore IS quite pleasant.....if you are an undertaker or armed felon, or perhaps even a prostitute.. You would be all smiles if one of these professions was yours. 

Sorry, but I know just a bit about ghettos. Baltimore is a textbook ghetto. It is the only city that I ever saw in which there is no rush hour. You can breeze right through I 95 in Baltimore at 4 or 5 PM. Nobody in their right mind would stop there. I went there once for a concert and stayed at the Embassy Suites. When we left in the morning there were prostitutes in front of the hotel. When we exited the concert there was a police station across the street. Sounds good, right? It was CLOSED. Yes, police cars in the parking lot and lights out. A closed police station.  I have been in some rough parts of Buffalo and they are like Beverly Hills compared to Baltimore.

PS: I offer my unconditional apology to any and all Baltimore residents on this board. I really mean this; I was just stunned by the poster's comment.  

Peace!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

and the weather SUCKS!

I guess it just depends on personal preferences. Some like cold and snow, some like Mediterranean climate, some like tropical. Some like weather variety and change. I will say growing up you don’t really know any better, you just adapt to the conditions and make the best of it. While I personally like snow for Christmas and holidays or even for a period of time to enjoy outdoor activities like skiing, etc. 6 or even sometimes 7-8 months of cold cloudy weather is depressing. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

C'mon. All I speak is truth. There are virtually no active attractions in Buffalo, at least none that would inspire one to visit. It's embarrassing interacting with Buffalonians on this. Maybe I'm just used to other cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville, Baltimore, etc., all of which are way more pleasant to visit and you can actually walk around their vibrant city centers. With pretty much any city you visit, especially one considered major like Buffalo, there's more to do than you can fit in. In Buffalo, it's like...thud. And it's embarrassing. People say things like, "Oh, so that's...all there is?" and it happens all the time.

When were you last in Buffalo ... if ever?  Either your experience dates from 30 plus years ago or whatever "city guide" you're using does, Joey.  Now, go crawl back under your bridge.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I guess it just depends on personal preferences. Some like cold and snow, some like Mediterranean climate, some like tropical. Some like weather variety and change. I will say growing up you don’t really know any better, you just adapt to the conditions and make the best of it. While I personally like snow for Christmas and holidays or even for a period of time to enjoy outdoor activities like skiing, etc. 6 or even sometimes 7-8 months of cold cloudy weather is depressing. 

The summers here are glorious. But the 6 months plus of doom and gloom is depressing. When you're driving back to Buffalo during the winter from the south, you get to about Cleveland, and you see the line of grey suck. It extends all the way to Buffalo. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That depends on what your interests, are. It is definitely worth 'roaming around', if you know where to go.

This is true I guess. Everyone is different and likes different things. Me personally, I’d rather be in the sticks creating my own entertainment, or enjoying a nice Mediterranean climate. I don’t really enjoy any city that much, with maybe the exception of the likes of San Diego, Honolulu, Dublin, London, Amsterdam, or Tokyo. 

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The summers here are glorious. But the 6 months plus of doom and gloom is depressing. When you're driving back to Buffalo during the winter from the south, you get to about Cleveland, and you see the line of grey suck. It extends all the way to Buffalo. 

I agree, Great Lake summers are very enjoyable for the most part. I do like snow for Christmas or really for Dec/Jan, but outside of that it gets old real fast. Again, I guess it just depends on the persons interest. Some people really do enjoy 6 or 7 months of winter, I’m not one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That depends on what your interests, are. It is definitely worth 'roaming around', if you know where to go.

I agree. I understand different people are going to prefer different cities. However, I don’t get the tired comments about Buffalo having nothing to do/see. Each city has a unique culture and vibe, meaning you might feel more comfortable or at home in certain places, while other cities don’t fit ones personality. Weather is obviously a big part of life as well. I fully understand why someone might not love Buffalo, just as I’d understand with other cities. It’s all personal preference, but saying there’s nothing to do or see is disingenuous. I wish people who make these statements could give examples of similar sized cities with more to offer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

The bold makes me wonder about your take on cities. I went to school in Cincinnati and still get back on a regular basis. I would never live there again due to the weather, but downtown is great. I don’t think of it as being industrial at all, though there must be some. Very walkable with stadiums and parks and a great bar scene. Over The Rhine (OTR) is hopping with new(er) breweries and restaurants. I’ve heard Detroit is coming back as well, but I haven’t been there in decades. The guy in the link below is doing a big project there and says the city is going in the right direction. 

https://www.wtbaker.com/residential-portfolio

The guy who designed the properties in the link above thought enough of Buffalo architecture to go there on vacation to see it while his wife went to the beach. No offense, but I’ll trust his opinions on architecture over yours or mine. Many of us just don’t know what to look for. No, it’s not Charleston, SC or Nashville when it comes to drawing crowds, but it is not without merit. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

The bold makes me wonder about your take on cities. I went to school in Cincinnati and still get back on a regular basis. I would never live there again due to the weather, but downtown is great. Very walkable with stadiums and parks and a great bar scene. Over The Rhine (OTR) is hopping with new(er) breweries and restaurants. I’ve heard Detroit is coming back as well, but I haven’t been there in decades. The guy in the link below is doing a big project there and says the city is going in the right direction. 

https://www.wtbaker.com/residential-portfolio

The guy who designed the properties in the link above thought enough of Buffalo architecture to go there on vacation to see it while his wife went to the beach. No offense, but I’ll trust his opinions on architecture over yours or mine. Many of us just don’t know what to look for. No, it’s not Charleston, SC or Nashville when it comes to drawing crowds, but it is not without merit. 

Admittedly, I have very high standards when it comes to city life. If it isn’t a top world city, I’d rather be in the countryside with toys and acreage. 
For US cities, the best ones I personally like are San Diego and Honolulu. Outside the US I like Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, and Singapore. Barcelona, Vienna, Prague, and Palermo  are all good as well. 

1 hour ago, Araiza Curse said:

I agree, Great Lake summers are very enjoyable for the most part. I do like snow for Christmas or really for Dec/Jan, but outside of that it gets old real fast. Again, I guess it just depends on the persons interest. Some people really do enjoy 6 or 7 months of winter, I’m not one of them. 

My wife and I plan a trip every February, just to get a break from all the suck. We've been to Nassau and Key West (2020), California, Nevada, and Arizona (2021), Laurel, Mississippi which is a wonderful little town (2022), and a 10-day Caribbean cruise (2023). We are going to visit my daughter and her visiting boyfriend in Californa in 2024. She lives in California, and her boyfriend lives in The Netherlands. She's there right now visiting him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Admittedly, I have very high standards when it comes to city life. If it isn’t a top world city, I’d rather be in the countryside with toys and acreage. 
For US cities, the best ones I personally like are San Diego and Honolulu. Outside the US I like Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, and Singapore. Barcelona, Vienna, Prague, and Palermo  are all good as well. 

There are very few BIG cities that I like, and even the ones I do like are just for visits. I like that tier of smaller size cities beneath the NYC or Chicago level. I love Nashville and we used to have a place there, but fear the growth will ruin it. I used to spend a lot of time in Charleston, SC for work and loved that history, charm and great food. Somewhere in between there is my strike zone for the proper city size. 

• Agree 1

On 8/9/2023 at 8:22 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re such a dork. I defended the beautiful women of Buffalo against a vicious attack. And sorry it makes you upset that have a beautiful lady. Hit the gym, do wordle, and eat your veggies. Maybe you can too.

also hit around Delaware park and Williamsville Main Street. Messi is a short king!

You've got a little Napoleon's syndrome or something, dude...keep talking up your hot score on a Bills message board.  LOL

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Hold on a minute.......Baltimore????????

Baltimore IS quite pleasant.....if you are an undertaker or armed felon, or perhaps even a prostitute.. You would be all smiles if one of these professions was yours. 

Sorry, but I know just a bit about ghettos. Baltimore is a textbook ghetto. It is the only city that I ever saw in which there is no rush hour. You can breeze right through I 95 in Baltimore at 4 or 5 PM. Nobody in their right mind would stop there. I went there once for a concert and stayed at the Embassy Suites. When we left in the morning there were prostitutes in front of the hotel. When we exited the concert there was a police station across the street. Sounds good, right? It was CLOSED. Yes, police cars in the parking lot and lights out. A closed police station.  I have been in some rough parts of Buffalo and they are like Beverly Hills compared to Baltimore.

PS: I offer my unconditional apology to any and all Baltimore residents on this board. I really mean this; I was just stunned by the poster's comment.  

Peace!

I am in Baltimore a lot and the downtown area is much more happnin' than Buffalo.

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

When were you last in Buffalo ... if ever?  Either your experience dates from 30 plus years ago or whatever "city guide" you're using does, Joey.  Now, go crawl back under your bridge.

I've been in Buffalo a dozen or more times over the past 10 years, with several extended stays -- including a honeymoon during which several Buffalonians who know what's up made fun of us for honeymooning in Buffalo.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I am in Baltimore a lot and the downtown area is much more happnin' than Buffalo.

I've been in Buffalo a dozen or more times over the past 10 years, with several extended stays -- including a honeymoon during which several Buffalonians who know what's up made fun of us for honeymooning in Buffalo.

So you're basically butt hurt that you decided not to honeymoon in Vegas and some #######s made fun of you

Of course Buffalo isn't Hawaii

But there's a lot going for the city now and in the future.. including a historic past

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, eball said:

You've got a little Napoleon's syndrome or something, dude...keep talking up your hot score on a Bills message board.  LOL

Put some money on it cueball. You’re nothing to me but for the right price, I’d meet you at a tailgate and prove I don’t lie.  It will be hilarious to watch you backpedal faster than Tre White.

and again, all did was defend the good women of Buffalo and some how I got attacked!!! Cueball, skip that 3rd dinner, drink lots of water, and you will have a woman you feel proud about. 

go Bills! 

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Put some money on it cueball. You’re nothing to me but for the right price, I’d meet you at a tailgate and prove I don’t lie.  It will be hilarious to watch you backpedal faster than Tre White.

and again, all did was defend the good women of Buffalo and some how I got attacked!!! Cueball, skip that 3rd dinner, drink lots of water, and you will have a woman you feel proud about. 

go Bills! 

pics or it didn't happen...

On 8/10/2023 at 9:43 PM, Araiza Curse said:

I may not be a world traveler like Araiza Curse, but I have been to 20+ countries and 47 states and think his take is a bit harsh.

It's true that Buffalo is not one of the great cities of the world.  But it does have things to offer.

As mentioned, if you're into architecture, Buffalo's got sights for you to see including two Frank Lloyd Wright houses (including the one in Derby).

If you're into pizza, a lot of pizza connoisseurs rank Buffalo highly.

If you're into Buffalo Wings, you must do a pilgrimage to the Anchor Bar even if the place itself is underwhelming.  

If you're into history, you can see where Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in as president.   There's also, I believe, a marker where is predecessor, McKinley, was shot.  

If you're a football fan, seeing a Bills game in person is something truly special.  

I've hosted friends and relatives from both France and the Philippines in Buffalo.  Of course, Niagara Falls was the highlight, but we found other spots & activities that they enjoyed.  

The next time I'm in Buffalo, I'll probably visit the Penn Dixie Fossil Park because my son and I both like paleontology and I've never been there.  

(On the other hand, I haven't been there in a long while, but I do tend to think some Buffalonians over-rate the Albright-Knox Art Gallery.  It's okay, nothing special.  I just googled best art museums in the US/World and it didn't make any of the lists I looked at - not to my surprise).  

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2023 at 7:53 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I may not be a world traveler like Araiza Curse, but I have been to 20+ countries and 47 states and think his take is a bit harsh.

It's true that Buffalo is not one of the great cities of the world.  But it does have things to offer.

As mentioned, if you're into architecture, Buffalo's got sights for you to see including two Frank Lloyd Wright houses (including the one in Derby).

If you're into pizza, a lot of pizza connoisseurs rank Buffalo highly.

If you're into Buffalo Wings, you must do a pilgrimage to the Anchor Bar even if the place itself is underwhelming.  

If you're into history, you can see where Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in as president.   There's also, I believe, a marker where is predecessor, McKinley, was shot.  

If you're a football fan, seeing a Bills game in person is something truly special.  

I've hosted friends and relatives from both France and the Philippines in Buffalo.  Of course, Niagara Falls was the highlight, but we found other spots & activities that they enjoyed.  

The next time I'm in Buffalo, I'll probably visit the Penn Dixie Fossil Park because my son and I both like paleontology and I've never been there.  

(On the other hand, I haven't been there in a long while, but I do tend to think some Buffalonians over-rate the Albright-Knox Art Gallery.  It's okay, nothing special.  I just googled best art museums in the US/World and it didn't make any of the lists I looked at - not to my surprise).  

Well, I returned to Buenos Aires last week and I want to tell you that the trip that I have dreamed of taking for years was much better than I had imagined.

I was lucky to see the victories against the Raiders (getting to know Highmark was very emotional moment) and the Comanders (it seems like the game was away but there were many more Bills fans than the Comanders fans). I went to breakfast at Tim Horton's, to dinner at Anchor Bar, on Monday after the Raiders game I went to Niagara Falls and did Maid of Mist...really everything was spectacular.

I can say about the sport that at first it was difficult to follow, because being the first game I saw in my life, I didn't have a trained eye and I only saw a lot of people trying to hit each other in a very small space, hahaha.

After a while everything becomes "slower" and is better understood. By the game with the commanders everything was clearer in my head.

About Buffalo, it's incredible and it makes me very happy to see how fanatic the people of the team are. It is impossible to see more than 3 people in a row and none of them have anything from the Bills. Even when I was in NYC I saw more Bills fans than Jest/Giants fans.

The people in Buffalo/NYC/Wash and Phila (I went just to take a photo with the Rocky statue and climb the iconic staircase) were all very friendly and even took the time to repeat things to me when I didn't understand English, I mean, almost always, haha.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this thread and who helped me put together the trip and special thanks to NC-billsfan! who invited me to the pre-match tailgate with the commanders (I couldn't go because I couldn't find the parking lot) and ExWNER who came up to greet me in the stands.

Vamos los BILLS!!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Really happy you had a great time and got to witness Bills fandom at two lopsided victories.

And I'm glad you got to see all the Buffalonians decked out in Bills colors.  I've been to 30 of the NFL's 32 cities and can honestly say that I see more people with hometown gear in Buffalo than anywhere else.  

Tim Horton's, by the way, was started by a hockey player who played for the Buffalo Sabres for a while.  Though the chain is now owned by a Brazilian conglomerate.  

Vamos los BILLS!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.