Bills’ Von Miller has two word update on his return from ACL tear

Starr Almighty

3 minutes ago, julian said:

The patient input has some relevance to the doctors opinion about the wether the ligament is fully healed or not ? If the player say’s “doctor my knee doesn’t feel right” , don’t the doctors know if the ligament is actually physically healed and the player is in his own head ?

I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing, I’m open to be educated.

Why does it matter if it’s the knee or the head? You need them both. You can’t just scream at them like a high school coach and say YOU ARE FINE! 

2 minutes ago, julian said:

So if the doctors say he’s good to play week one and Bon or any player for that matter has shown in practice they’re good to go, you want him on the field week one right ? 

You need to ask better questions. It’s obviously not that simple. 

They didn't rule out White until the last possible moment last year. They put him on PUP on Aug 30th. Up until then all we heard was he was rehabbing. 

I wouldn't put any stock in anything they say until he is either activated or they put him on PUP list. 

If there is any chance he can play in the first month I would put him on the final 53 and healthy scratch him a couple weeks if necessary. 

But as others have said, its more likely they are conservative and go the PUP route. Honestly that wouldn't be terrible.  He is most important in the playoffs not in September.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well I'm not a doctor full disclosure😂😂but I have had a couple ACLs and I was told if you're favoring your fully healed leg because you're not 100% confident on it the risk of reinjury exists

Not to mention a host of associated over/underuse injuries because you're not back to moving normally

So even tho my docs were confident enough in their surgery, the PT guys were confident in the rehab and stability tests, they also still made sure I felt 100% before going out and fully stressing it again

Makes sense, thanks

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why does it matter if it’s the knee or the head? You need them both. You can’t just scream at them like a high school coach and say YOU ARE FINE! 

You need to ask better questions. It’s obviously not that simple. 

Ok.. sorry to bother you, was just hoping to understand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They didn't rule out White until the last possible moment last year. They put him on PUP on Aug 30th. Up until then all we heard was he was rehabbing. 

I wouldn't put any stock in anything they say until he is either activated or they put him on PUP list. 

If there is any chance he can play in the first month I would put him on the final 53 and healthy scratch him a couple weeks if necessary. 

But as others have said, its more likely they are conservative and go the PUP route. Honestly that wouldn't be terrible.  He is most important in the playoffs not in September.

You want him at his peak in the playoffs so you want him to get in game shape but no need to wear him out so play him after bye maybe.  Enough games to peak for post season and should still be fresh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

You want him at his peak in the playoffs so you want him to get in game shape but no need to wear him out so play him after bye maybe.  Enough games to peak for post season and should still be fresh.

Yeah that is the ideal. Its a risk though. A few early season losses and they could be chasing the Jets or Dolphins all season long.

Rousseau really needs to step up.

Just now, Augie said:

If that is really the case, then I apologize. We have quite a few here who seem to be deliberately difficult. My bad if that was sincere. 

Lol I get it, no worries , I really was just hoping to understand the viewpoint and think I know where you’re coming from.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yeah that is the ideal. Its a risk though. A few early season losses and they could be chasing the Jets or Dolphins all season long.

If Groot has a healthy Floyd, Ed and later in the year Von, I like our ability to get in the Qb’s face. I am VERY excited by that idea. More than most, apparently. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The reason for the constant ambiguity is to confuse the other team.  

Why should we let the Jets know whether or not they'll be facing Von week 1?  

Smoke and mirrors.  Dont take anything the Bills or Miller himself says about his return date seriously.

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Augie said:

If Groot has a healthy Floyd, Ed and later in the year Von, I like our ability to get in the Qb’s face. I am VERY excited by that idea. More than most, apparently. 

Don’t forget Poona. 

• Agree 2

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/von-miller-on-the-voncast-hopefully-right-before-the-jets-game-i-will-be-back/article_c7883354-7041-11ed-bfe4-2fe33da33792.html

“It’s going to have to be addressed, but I do feel like I can play through that," Miller said. "So, I'm just gonna wait a little bit, wait a little bit, let the swelling go down for about seven to 10 days. And hopefully, right before the Jets game, I will be back."

"Bills coach Sean McDermott ruled Miller out for the Patriots game the day after his injury and said the team would “just see where it goes from there.” Miller reiterated his confidence that he could be back during the regular season."

Well, I just received some unfortunate (but not devastating) news from my usual source.

Von Miller apparently has a grade 2 strain (tear) to his upper left leg (not the same leg as his ACL tear).

This was described to me as a "compensation injury," i.e. he likely injured it because of overcompensating for the opposite leg of the ACL tear.

I was told it will put him back "a little bit, not months." My source says this almost certainly rules out a week 1 return but week 6 is still potentially in play. Most likely scenario is he will be put on PUP to start the season and the treatment will just be general rest and rehab to the affected area.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Well, I just received some unfortunate (but not devastating) news from my usual source.

Von Miller apparently has a grade 2 strain (tear) to his upper left leg (not the same leg as his ACL tear).

This was described to me as a "compensation injury," i.e. he likely injured it because of overcompensating for the opposite leg of the ACL tear.

I was told it will put him back "a little bit, not months." My source says this almost certainly rules out a week 1 return but week 6 is still potentially in play. Most likely scenario is he will be put on PUP to start the season and the treatment will just be general rest and rehab to the affected area.

While you never want to see set backs...this may be a bit of a blessing in disguise. 

If in fact it's to the opposite leg and not something complicating the ACL it may just slow him up a bit and save him from pushing too hard to come back too soon.  Gives the Bills a valid reason to PUP him and not have Von disappointed. Let him miss the first month and a half and open a roster spot. Then (hopefully) with noore set backs he's ready to roll and ramped up for playoff season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love Von, but it’s really difficult to take him at his word- no matter how well intentioned he might be…

In all honesty, I’m kind of hoping they keep him out for the beginning of the season…I feel we have enough depth, and I would rather him be healthy for the playoff push…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

More injuries is never good, but I'm not going to complain about a healthy, fresh Von from December onwards even if that means missing him until that point 

17 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I don't think it matters tbh.  The Bills will succeed on the strength of the offense dominating games leaving opponents unable to keep pace.  Our defense will have lot of turnovers.  Who wants to be running around hitting and getting hit when you have front row seats to watch Allen and his offense put on a show? They be getting the ball just so they can get back to watching the show.

Would be H(u)GH(e), but wouldn't surprise me.

"Genetic freak" can really help amplify any extracurricular science lol

Dude has probably met the top CRISPR scientists in the world. We're proli a decade away from a 3 legged 400lb DE going #1 overall 🤣🤣🤣

I'm here for it!!

19 hours ago, julian said:

Serious question…. Once a player has been deemed 100% by doctors to play football is there any reason to not come back at that point ? Is taking 2,3 or 4 more weeks some how beneficial to a knee that’s already been 100% cleared to play ?

If the answer is no, then I want him on the field immediately after getting the go ahead no matter when that clearance comes.

Yep. If it's 100% cleared, using a few weeks to ramp him up is more beneficial than sitting on his arse IMO

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I love Von, but it’s really difficult to take him at his word- no matter how well intentioned he might be…

In all honesty, I’m kind of hoping they keep him out for the beginning of the season…I feel we have enough depth, and I would rather him be healthy for the playoff push…👍

I agree. With this small set back I'd just stick him on the PUP.  Maybe bring him back in a very limited and gradual role week 6. Then even consider load managing him moving closer to the playoffs.  Floyd, Groot and to a small extent AJE can hold down the fort.

• Dislike 1

18 hours ago, julian said:

Makes sense, thanks

Ok.. sorry to bother you, was just hoping to understand.

I think you're asking great questions despite the flak you're getting.

For as dumb as you're being treated, these are the same questions that Von, McBeane, and Dr. 1BillsDrive are all asking 👍👍👍

I think asking these, especially with the notion of 'genuinely asking, open to learning' is great.

The people giving you a hassle are saying it because it's always been said... and it might still be true, but the evolution of this sport will always continue. 

"Because it's always been done this way" is the correct answer, till it's not. The science will keep pushing and pushing and repeating this question, until it changes. The monetary resources being dumped into evolving injuries in the sport is absurd. The first team to find a different answer here will have a huge advantage over everyone else!

It might start with Von, might be 100years from now, but in no way are we at the final stage of how to help players recover. Science and medicine is rad 🤙

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. With this small set back I'd just stick him on the PUP.  Maybe bring him back in a very limited and gradual role week 6. Then even consider load managing him moving closer to the playoffs.  Floyd, Groot and to a small extent AJE can hold down the fort.

Oh?

There was a setback?

22 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

You never know, he looks bigger to me than he did last year. He trained his ass off to get back and I wouldn’t doubt at all he’s back before the first six games but week 1 might be pushing it

yes we will

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 hours ago, Success said:

This staff is always cautious, imo.  I'd be surprised if they let him play until they were 100% on it - I'd guess sometime in October at the earliest.

Well, they used to be more cautious.  Gabe playing last year with a high ankle sprain and JA17 playing through injuries are examples of not being cautious.  But, yes typically the Bills do a good job with that.

22 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Week 5 is my guess. Close, but our staff like to ease players back in.

Personally I’d be more than happy having him come back after our bye week. Keep him fresh for the late / post season

Yes please week 5 🙏

I'll be there at Tottenham to welcome him back 🔥

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I think you're asking great questions despite the flak you're getting.

For as dumb as you're being treated, these are the same questions that Von, McBeane, and Dr. 1BillsDrive are all asking 👍👍👍

I think asking these, especially with the notion of 'genuinely asking, open to learning' is great.

The people giving you a hassle are saying it because it's always been said... and it might still be true, but the evolution of this sport will always continue. 

"Because it's always been done this way" is the correct answer, till it's not. The science will keep pushing and pushing and repeating this question, until it changes. The monetary resources being dumped into evolving injuries in the sport is absurd. The first team to find a different answer here will have a huge advantage over everyone else!

It might start with Von, might be 100years from now, but in no way are we at the final stage of how to help players recover. Science and medicine is rad 🤙

Yeah I do get that many fans calling for players to sit longer are doing so with the intention of making themselves feel better about the final outcome and in many cases they might not even realize it.

I just thought maybe there were actual medical reasons for these fans

hoping that players sit out past the doctors recommendations, and I could learn something I wasn’t aware of.

Of course much is lost in translation with text format and so I give people the benefit of the doubt when they don’t at first understand my angle.

I know he was younger....but Von tore his ACL in week 9 once before(2013 maybe?) and played the entire season the following year while recording 14 sacks 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Thanks for sharing. Not ideal. 

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

For those ease him back in folks.

Last year should have convinced you.

EVERY game is important, September included.

If he is up to playing, he should.

Oh I absolutely know every game is important. I also know that I do not believe that we need Von in order to win a SB.  Yes it will make the defense better with a von miller running amok on opposing qbs.  I do not see many teams that I believe will have the ability to even slow down a healthy Josh with a bunch of new toys and improved protection. 

When a play gets blown up as some always will he still has the ability to scramble and will make his share of plays there.  The big story this season I think is gonna be.  How can you stop Josh Allen now that he stopped running? It won't matter if Von gets his sacks  and defensive stats.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And Lawson. Or Kingsley or the Old new kid
 I wrote in another thread. Keeping him off the 53 allows Bills to keep another pretty darned good player. And hopefull those for will be good enough ( I think so) to keep us in the W column.

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

For those ease him back in folks.

Last year should have convinced you.

EVERY game is important, September included.

If he is up to playing, he should.

I think Bills have it covered , even with out him.

Feel ya though

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I know he was younger....but Von tore his ACL in week 9 once before(2013 maybe?) and played the entire season the following year while recording 14 sacks 

Thanks for sharing. Not ideal. 

Another reason you ease a competitor back in.  The rest of players he's going up against are all already in top game shape so that has to be considered and frankly the top competitive athletes are not gonna feel they can be beat but even a lower talent at his peak condition might be too much for a returning from injury vet.  

23 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m saying you are missing the point entirely. Being cleared by the Docs is just the first step in coming back. It takes a long time to trust the knee, then it takes time to shake off the rust. It’s NOT a light switch, and much of it happens between your ears.  Everybody is different, so I’ll hope for the best. 

True being cleared by the doctors is just the 1st step in returning and it does take time to trust the knee again. But at the same time it's his 2nd recovery from ACL surgery which will help with the mental aspect as he will know what to expect. 

Also I think many people are under the impression Tre's ACL surgery and Von's ACL surgery this time around are equal, they're not. All bone work done during Von's 1st ACL surgery was still in good shape, so doctors didn't have to do any of that(ie drilling through bone). That allows for a quicker recovery time and rehab to be ramped up much quicker early on. He said there was a big difference between how his knee felt early on this time around vs the 1st one.

He hardly wore a brace or used crutches after this surgery and didn't need either after the 2nd day. Also he said stairs were really tough the 1st time around, where as he could go up and down stairs, unassisted and with a normal gait, within a week after this surgery. 

Some people think he'll be ready week 1, some have stated after the bye(Which would be on December 10th in week 14 vs KC). Barring any major setbacks, I think the team will be a bit cautious and we'll see him back in either week 5 or 6. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

True being cleared by the doctors is just the 1st step in returning and it does take time to trust the knee again. But at the same time it's his 2nd recovery from ACL surgery which will help with the mental aspect as he will know what to expect. 

Also I think many people are under the impression Tre's ACL surgery and Von's ACL surgery this time around are equal, they're not. All bone work done during Von's 1st ACL surgery was still in good shape, so doctors didn't have to do any of that(ie drilling through bone). That allows for a quicker recovery time and rehab to be ramped up much quicker early on. He said there was a big difference between how his knee felt early on this time around vs the 1st one.

He hardly wore a brace or used crutches after this surgery and didn't need either after the 2nd day. Also he said stairs were really tough the 1st time around, where as he could go up and down stairs, unassisted and with a normal gait, within a week after this surgery. 

Some people think he'll be ready week 1, some have stated after the bye(Which would be on December 10th in week 14 vs KC). Barring any major setbacks, I think the team will be a bit cautious and we'll see him back in either week 5 or 6.

Where did you see/hear/read about the specifics WRT Miller's surgeries and White's?

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Where did you see/hear/read about the specifics WRT Miller's surgeries and White's?

It's pieced together from a couple of interviews on the Pat Mcafee show(Dec. 8th & 15th) and a couple of press conferences. One was when he returned to Buffalo after the surgery(should be Dec. 14th, 15th time frame) and the other was in January, so I'm assuming the end of the year press conference(Not 100% on that one). 

There was an article I had read with quotes from his January press conference that I tried to find real quick, but couldn't find. I'll post it if I find it later on.

I'm attaching his appearance on the Pat Mcafee show from December 15th because it contains most of the vital information such as:

Being able to reuse the ports(Meaning no drilling was necessary) and he even says that they didn't have to grind on his knee.

He knew how the recovery went so he said to the doctor I know 8 weeks in a brace & on crutches and the doctor said nope(This part I got a little wrong) 2 days in a brace and 4 on crutches. Said he was up walking the following day.

Von said he had surgery on Tuesday, by Saturday he was walking around comfortably with no brace or crutches.

Returned to Buffalo a week after surgery and walked comfortably up and down the steps to the plane no problem along with walking around the airport and back in Buffalo at the facilities.

Saving the 7 1/2 weeks not having to wear a brace or use crutches gives him a big head start on players having their first ACL surgery(Tre), or worst yet, their 2nd surgery and having to drill new ports. That and having the experience of already coming back from an ACL tear in that knee gave him a big advantage, Imo, over Tre's ACL surgery and rehab.

Below is his Interview on the Pat Mcafee show. It starts at 1:38:30. If you just want to see the question and answer about his rehab that starts at 1:40:05.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.