Bills’ Von Miller has two word update on his return from ACL tear

Starr Almighty

19 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Week 5 is my guess. Close, but our staff like to ease players back in.

Personally I’d be more than happy having him come back after our bye week. Keep him fresh for the late / post season

Yea and if our young guys step up a bit and hold down the fort while he is brought in just in time to ramp up his game to playoff level intensity, then it's a win win.  He gets to rest until we are getting team prepped for a long post season run to Lombardi no 1 of the Allen era of Bills  football, while our young guys get in some reps to keep improving.

Edited by AuntieEm

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was in error on my comment in another thread.  PUP is only 4 weeks mandatory to start the season for Von not 6.

I still think Von should take September off.

I'm with the play it safe crowd as well. But BBB did say this

One person who is not ruling out a return for Miller is Brandon Beane. Buffalo’s general manager recently told NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero that there’s “definitely a possibility” that Miller will be ready to play against the Jets in Week 1. This came days after the general manager referred to the pass-rusher as a “genetic freak.”

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was in error on my comment in another thread.  PUP is only 4 weeks mandatory to start the season for Von not 6.

I still think Von should take September off.

If he is all healed up and ready to go, there isn't really a reason to keep him out, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

If he is all healed up and ready to go, there isn't really a reason to keep him out, though.

That is probably going to be a debatable opinion among the experts.  It's a long season and I'd trade September for January and February.

Just my cautious nature.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, boyst said:

This guy could promote ice cube sales in an igloo. And I'm not necessarily saying that in a good way. But he is one hell of a heart machine for himself.

AND, our defense also looked different without him. I can live with the self-hype as long as he comes back playing likes he’s that same old wrecking ball! 

3 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

With Leonard Floyd in the mix now, I'm okay with Von taking his time getting back to 100%

Whatever it takes to have a monster pass rush come the playoffs. That tilts the field. I love the idea of Von, Floyd, Groot and Ed coming at you from every direction! Knowing you can take it to them gives you that eye of the tiger stuff. We need the horses! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is probably going to be a debatable opinion among the experts.  It's a long season and I'd trade September for January and February.

Just my cautious nature.

It might not be. Maybe all the experts will think he is ready to go.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If he wasn’t a proud AARP card holder, I’d be more optimistic. 

Well, making it into AARP is certainly worth celebrating! That’s lofty status! 

I think he’ll work his arse off to walk away after one more Lombardi Trophy! 

….but then come back for the rest of the money until the well is dry.  Who am I to judge?  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Serious question…. Once a player has been deemed 100% by doctors to play football is there any reason to not come back at that point ? Is taking 2,3 or 4 more weeks some how beneficial to a knee that’s already been 100% cleared to play ?

If the answer is no, then I want him on the field immediately after getting the go ahead no matter when that clearance comes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, julian said:

Serious question…. Once a player has been deemed 100% by doctors to play football is there any reason to not come back at that point ? Is taking 2,3 or 4 more weeks some how beneficial to a knee that’s already been 100% cleared to play ?

If the answer is no, then I want him on the field immediately after getting the go ahead no matter when that clearance comes.

Did you watch Tre play at all last year coming back more than a year after surgery. “Clearance” is not a black or white thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did you watch Tre play at all last year coming back more than a year after surgery. “Clearance” is not a black or white thing. 

Are you saying Tre didn’t have a 100% green light from doctors? 

2 hours ago, Success said:

This staff is always cautious, imo.  I'd be surprised if they let him play until they were 100% on it - I'd guess sometime in October at the earliest.

I'm positive between how safe this regime plays things and after the signing of Leonard Floyd that they're going to take their time. I think Floyd's signing was almost entirely about having another stud on the starting Line that could buy Von time to get 100%

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, julian said:

Are you saying Tre didn’t have a 100% green light from doctors? 

I’m saying you are missing the point entirely. Being cleared by the Docs is just the first step in coming back. It takes a long time to trust the knee, then it takes time to shake off the rust. It’s NOT a light switch, and much of it happens between your ears.  Everybody is different, so I’ll hope for the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I’m saying you are missing the point entirely. Being cleared by the Docs is just the first step in coming back. It takes a long time to trust the knee, then it takes time to shake off the rust. It’s NOT a light switch, and much of it happens between your ears.  Everybody is different, so I’ll hope for the best. 

I understand some players will take longer than others to get past the mental aspect of playing on a repaired knee, I’m talking strictly about getting the green light to physically play football again and once that’s given, is there a physical benefit to not playing immediately.

I’m sure we can acknowledge the further away from the injury a player gets the more comfortable they’ll feel and thus hopefully play better, but if the doctors say you’re no more susceptible to reinjury today as opposed to 4 weeks from now then why wait ?

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If he’s 100%, let him play.  The ligament can’t heal past 100%.

Thanks, that’s what I was wondering and could never understand people wanting players to sit longer than necessary.

11 minutes ago, julian said:

I understand some players will take longer than others to get past the mental aspect of playing on a repaired knee, I’m talking strictly about getting the green light to physically play football again and once that’s given, is there a physical benefit to not playing immediately.

I’m sure we can acknowledge the further away from the injury a player gets the more comfortable they’ll feel and thus hopefully play better, but if the doctors say you’re no more susceptible to reinjury today as opposed to 4 weeks from now then why wait ?

Thanks, that’s what I was wondering and could never understand people wanting players to sit longer than necessary.

Necessary according to who? 

7 minutes ago, julian said:

I am saying, if you aren’t sufficiently prepared mentally and physically, you can be a detriment to the team It’s tricky chit, I get it, but you don’t want to hurt the team if someone else can be more effective. They need reps for confidence, but in the right spots. Von coming back in week 5 or 6 is still well under the 12 month mark, since he was hurt on that crappy Thanksgiving weekend that cursed us two years in a row. 

Odd, sorry, but regarding the bold above, Von can more easily afford to sit this year (with Floyd, not a move made in a vacuum), than Tre last year with the decimation of our DB’s. Sure, we want to win every game, but I’d rather peak late than early, unlike last year. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

If you tell them you don't feel ready that's not what they'll be saying tho

The patient input has some relevance to the doctors opinion about the wether the ligament is fully healed or not ? If the player say’s “doctor my knee doesn’t feel right” , don’t the doctors know if the ligament is actually physically healed and the player is in his own head ?

I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing, I’m open to be educated.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am saying, if you aren’t sufficiently prepared mentally and physically, you can be a detriment to the team It’s tricky chit, I get it, but you don’t want to hurt the team if someone else can be more effective. They need reps for confidence, but in the right spots. Von coming back in week 5 or 6 is still well under the 12 month mark, since he was hurt on that crappy Thanksgiving weekend that cursed us two years in a row. 

Odd, sorry, but regarding the bold above, Von can more easily afford to sit this year (with Floyd, not a move made in a vacuum), than Tre last year with the decimation of our DB’s. Sure, we want to win every game, but I’d rather peak late than early, unlike last year. 

So if the doctors say he’s good to play week one and Bon or any player for that matter has shown in practice they’re good to go, you want him on the field week one right ? 

Just now, julian said:

The patient input has some relevance to the doctors opinion about the wether the ligament is fully healed or not ? If the player say’s “doctor my knee doesn’t feel right” , don’t the doctors know if the ligament is actually physically healed and the player is in his own head ?

I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing, I’m open to be educated.

Well I'm not a doctor full disclosure😂😂but I have had a couple ACLs and I was told if you're favoring your fully healed leg because you're not 100% confident on it the risk of reinjury exists

Not to mention a host of associated over/underuse injuries because you're not back to moving normally

So even tho my docs were confident enough in their surgery, the PT guys were confident in the rehab and stability tests, they also still made sure I felt 100% before going out and fully stressing it again

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.