Gabe Davis offseason

BillsDad51

Nice article about Davis in today's Buffalo News. Details his offseason workouts. One surprise nugget at end: Prior to training camp, he want to California to work out with Josh, Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley. Also in attendance were Damien Harris, Sherfield and Shakir. First I've heard of Allen working out on his own with offensive mates.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Nice article about Davis in today's Buffalo News. Details his offseason workouts. One surprise nugget at end: Prior to training camp, he want to California to work out with Josh, Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley. Also in attendance were Damien Harris, Sherfield and Shakir. First I've heard of Allen working out on his own with offensive mates.

This was the sort of thing I explicitly hear about Mahomes and was hoping, but could not clarify, that Josh does as well. 

I'm also hoping Josh's comments about his offseason diet are deflections as well, and the dude is making sure he's a finely tuned machine. From reports he has been good so I assume he is always keeping up on his mechanics etc. 

I got a little spooked juxtaposing the bussin' with the boys interview with Pat training his weak side scramble throw power to be equal to his right etc. Wondering if our QB was keeping up

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

😂

they got together to club, drink beers and eat at fancy restaurants..  they ran a few patterns on the beach and called it a ‘workout’ 

I’m sure THIS year is different.  People were slobbing all over him for his great off season last year, dude still couldn’t catch a cold in December.  Call me when he gets his hands right and quits trying to clap fastballs.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m sure THIS year is different.  People were slobbing all over him for his great off season last year, dude still couldn’t catch a cold in December.  Call me when he gets his hands right and quits trying to clap fastballs.

The Gabe Davis hype is for real. Alive and pumping.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the number for Davis is $11-12 mil a years. That would slot him by Jakobi Meyers, Allen Lazard, Michael Gallup, Corey Davis. I would say thats about what he is.

I think the Bills would be thrilled to have him for a contract like that. I would be down.

• Like (+1) 2

Way too early for the offseason hype train. Let’s see how Davis is doing in the season half of the season before giving him tons of praise. If the Bills start bringing in FA WR’s again in November/December, then all this offseason hype is for nothing.

33 minutes ago, akcash said:

I think the number for Davis is $11-12 mil a years. That would slot him by Jakobi Meyers, Allen Lazard, Michael Gallup, Corey Davis. I would say thats about what he is.

I think the Bills would be thrilled to have him for a contract like that. I would be down.

As soon as I saw Lazard's deal with the Jets I felt that was the starting point for any Davis contract. With the way contracts work out I see that number rising a bit for next season so $13-14M is probably the starting point...if he has a typical season. If he steps it up he'll possibly command more. And someone (not Buffalo) will pay it.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't want to read too much into one training camp report, but Joe Buscaglia's report today said Davis caught 50% of his targets; on one he let Dane Jackson break up a pass that hit his hands, on another he caught an accurate ball but failed to keep his second foot in bounds. And that is basically a microcosm of the player he was last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to read too much into one training camp report, but Joe Buscaglia's report today said Davis caught 50% of his targets; on one he let Dane Jackson break up a pass that hit his hands, on another he caught an accurate ball but failed to keep his second foot in bounds. And that is basically a microcosm of the player he was last year.

I’m not going to read much into the first few days of camp, but yeah, if he can’t be consistent, I’m happy to have him take his money from another club next season.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Analyzing catch rate in practice lol...thats a new one.

At least the day I was at camp, Gabe had Tre turned around and beat him on back to back 1-1 reps.  Although Tre still doesn't look the same to me...just a step behind his all-pro days, hopefully I'm wrong on that.

All that to say, I think the biggest observations about Gabe so far:

1. he looks noticably quicker/faster coming out of breaks and

2. leaner build (likely helping with previous), appears to be carrying less weight

Hopefully translates to staying healthy/avoiding the recurring ankle injuries.  I definitely think he "bulked" too much last offseason.  Obviously he's never been a twitchy type receiver, but similar to James Cook...both guys caught my attention for looking faster this year (I'd add Shakir to that list too).

12 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

He's done this several times over the past 4 years. 

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Analyzing catch rate in practice lol...thats a new one.

At least the day I was at camp, Gabe had Tre turned around and beat him on back to back 1-1 reps.  Although Tre still doesn't look the same to me...just a step behind his all-pro days, hopefully I'm wrong on that.

All that to say, I think the biggest observations about Gabe so far:

1. he looks noticably quicker/faster coming out of breaks and

2. leaner build (likely helping with previous), appears to be carrying less weight

Hopefully translates to staying healthy/avoiding the recurring ankle injuries.  I definitely think he "bulked" too much last offseason.  Obviously he's never been a twitchy type receiver, but similar to James Cook...both guys caught my attention for looking faster this year (I'd add Shakir to that list too).

I think that what @HappyDays is saying is that the only place where he's looked like a changed man is in perception drummed up by an article.    He hasn't stood out in practice.......where a vet like Stef Diggs has.........and that's all we have to go on.    The reports have been that he hasn't been targeted much and that Allen hasn't even been looking his way.......which would make sense because Allen struggled when targeting Davis last season.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think that what @HappyDays is saying is that the only place where he's looked like a changed man is in perception drummed up by an article.    He hasn't stood out in practice.......where a vet like Stef Diggs has.........and that's all we have to go on.    The reports have been that he hasn't been targeted much and that Allen hasn't even been looking his way.......which would make sense because Allen struggled when targeting Davis last season.   

https://theathletic.com/4733725/2023/07/30/buffalo-bills-training-camp-4/

Davis far more involved Sunday while making a standout play

Over the previous two practices, starting receiver Gabe Davis took a backseat on target count during team drills, but on Sunday, he was targeted more often than at any other practice this summer. Davis brought in a pair of passes on four targets from Allen, with Allen attempting only 17 passes during Sunday’s 11-on-11 work. Davis made an outstanding catch over cornerback Tre’Davious White’s head early in practice. White was turned around on the play trying to play the receiver rather than the ball, and Davis timed his jump perfectly to make the grab. Davis also was merely a few inches away from finding the end zone on his other two targets.

On the first, Davis was in the back corner of the end zone with separation from Dane Jackson and turned his body toward the ball to stay in bounds. The on-target throw from Allen needed a last-ditch effort from Jackson to knock the ball out of Davis’ hands at the catch point, but the ball fell incomplete. Then to end the practice, Davis uncovered wide open to the left sideline of the end zone, and Allen put the ball on the money. Davis got his first foot in bounds, but the second barely tapped the line during the catch, making it an incomplete pass — regardless of the offense’s celebration. Regardless of the incompletions, it was a good sign for Davis to uncover and find himself in those big play opportunities after being quiet during the previous two practices.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Over the previous two practices, starting receiver Gabe Davis took a backseat on target count during team drills, but on Sunday, he was targeted more often than at any other practice this summer. Davis brought in a pair of passes on four targets from Allen, with Allen attempting only 17 passes during Sunday’s 11-on-11 work. Davis made an outstanding catch over cornerback Tre’Davious White’s head early in practice. White was turned around on the play trying to play the receiver rather than the ball, and Davis timed his jump perfectly to make the grab. Davis also was merely a few inches away from finding the end zone on his other two targets.

On the first, Davis was in the back corner of the end zone with separation from Dane Jackson and turned his body toward the ball to stay in bounds. The on-target throw from Allen needed a last-ditch effort from Jackson to knock the ball out of Davis’ hands at the catch point, but the ball fell incomplete. Then to end the practice, Davis uncovered wide open to the left sideline of the end zone, and Allen put the ball on the money. Davis got his first foot in bounds, but the second barely tapped the line during the catch, making it an incomplete pass — regardless of the offense’s celebration. Regardless of the incompletions, it was a good sign for Davis to uncover and find himself in those big play opportunities after being quiet during the previous two practices.

Right.

We are going in a circle here.

As @HappyDays said Davis caught 50% of his targets yesterday..........which is a small sample size but entirely consistent with who he's always been.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right.

We are going in a circle here.

As @HappyDays said Davis caught 50% of his targets yesterday..........which is a small sample size but entirely consistent with who he's always been.

I'm just pointing out that he got more targets yesterday than on the days before. I'm not judging the player one way or the other.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know what he was saying....you must have missed my point and what other reporters have noticed about Gabe.

It's the opposite of what you're saying ... Gabe actually is standing out and looks quicker/lighter/improved.

Yes it's TC but at least acknowledge more than 1 report....plenty of reports out there saying what I just stated (and noticed in person at practice)

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm just pointing out that he got more targets yesterday than on the days before. I'm not judging the player one way or the other.

Right.......like I said, those targets are what @HappyDays post was about.   That he finally got some targets and half of them were incomplete.   Which is not inconsistent with the Gabe we know.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If Davis can be more consistent wideout the sky is the limit for the offense but I'm not holding my breath

He's always going to be somewhat limited I think. He's not the twitchy type who will thrive underneath and give you YAC while also not being the big contested catch type. He could suddenly learn how to catch after x years of playing receiver and still be lacking vs. the kind of player I'd like to see starting at WR for this team.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Joe Marino was very complimentary about Davis's play at camp today. Said he caught some shorter routes and was winning all his 1v1s. Joe has been as critical towards Davis as anyone so at the very least it's a good sign.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 3

Joe Marino was very complimentary about Davis's play at camp today. Said he caught some shorter routes and was winning all his 1v1s. Joe has been as critical towards Davis as anyone so at the very least it's a good sign.

Yes, Joe Marino has been very vocal about Davis and his limitations as a #2 receiver, so it was good to hear some praise from him.

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

He's always going to be somewhat limited I think. He's not the twitchy type who will thrive underneath and give you YAC while also not being the big contested catch type. He could suddenly learn how to catch after x years of playing receiver and still be lacking vs. the kind of player I'd like to see starting at WR for this team.

Yeah and last year at TC we were supposed to be encouraged because he worked hard and put on muscle.........this time we are supposed to be encouraged because he worked hard and shed all that unnecessary extra muscle. 😐

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Oh wow, same thing I said the other day...(that I witnessed at camp too)...that @BADOLBILZjumped all over.

Its clear to at least a few that Gabe is looking improved...have some hope, its only going to help we have what appears to be a reliable middle of the field target (Kincaid) and better IOL

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Oh wow, same thing I said the other day...(that I witnessed at camp too)...that @BADOLBILZjumped all over.

Its clear to at least a few that Gabe is looking improved...have some hope, its only going to help we have what appears to be a reliable middle of the field target (Kincaid) and better IOL

That's good to hear that he's got some positive reviews.    In other news journeymen Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty have been getting even more adoration.    Reminder: Jake Kumerow was unreal in camp 2 years ago.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's good to hear that he's got some positive reviews.    In other news journeymen Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty have been getting even more adoration.    Reminder: Jake Kumerow was unreal in camp 2 years ago.

What does it say about Shakir whose only highlighted play so far this TC has been a drop-INT?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think it's the same, Kumerow was a bottom roster/ST guy.  Harty and Sherfield actually offer some offensive potential, especially Harty if hes healthy....but I know you're not a believer yet.

It's OK.  Nobody knows yet, but I'm hoping you're wrong

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and last year at TC we were supposed to be encouraged because he worked hard and put on muscle.........this time we are supposed to be encouraged because he worked hard and shed all that unnecessary extra muscle. 😐

In general I'm skeptical of this regime and fully in prove-it-to-me mode. This was the first offseason where if I was in charge, I would have moved on. So I'm just not apt to go buying into hype trains this time around.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

In general I'm skeptical of this regime and fully in prove-it-to-me mode. This was the first offseason where if I was in charge, I would have moved on. So I'm just not apt to go buying into hype trains this time around.

I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt organizationally because of Josh Allen.    I don't think any player has a greater impact on their team with the exception of Mahomes.

But they have not had success getting seemingly "high ceiling" young players to take the next step once they've hit a plateau.     And they've put a lot of eggs in the baskets of players like Edmunds, Oliver and Gabe.........these guys have all produced as rookies but none of them has approached their perceived ceilings despite the insistence by some around the organization that they were almost there.

I don't necessarily blame that on the coaching.........I think they have likely just over-estimated some of their own young players capacity for improvement.  

But either way, it's not a great look.

Now on the flip side.......I am actually a bit more optimistic about a guy like AJ Epenesa improving........because he has actually(gradually) been improving and he doesn't have underlying injury concerns or a clear lack of instincts etc..    And I fully expect Rousseau to become a top 10-20 NFL DE this season.   But I don't know these things will happen for sure though so I am not going to argue with people who question that based on their camp performances.     

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Today it was a 100%, Same for Kincaid I thought to have read :)
  waiting for the season to make my opinions about him.
But I do remain hopeful for all the guys to be at their best

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

This… also feel McBeane(or maybe just Beane) get a little too conservative at times while prioritizing depth over starting stars(case in point is Hopkins). I fear they’ll blow Allen’s prime for this reason. Really thought they needed a big splash offensively this offseason and they punted because in favor of their own guys who haven’t proven they are up to the task.(yet)

We can only hope that somehow history doesn't repeat itself with regard to those "depth" and flyer type free agent moves.    The track record has been really bad.  

Long gone are the days of Lorax/Zach Brown/Hyde/Poyer types who were signed to very modest contracts and greatly outplayed them.   There has been just 1 such hit so far since 2017.   Daryl Williams.  Who they cut to make room for Rodger Saffold. :doh:   Their low and mid-level pro personnel work has been ghastly and they've thrown SO MANY $4M-$7M type deals out there for other teams UFA's and failed at basically ALL of those so far........it has really added up on their salary cap.   

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

This report is NOT empirically positive, despite how it's spun. It's a microcosm of the Gabe Davis experience, good and not as good.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.