Howard Simon’s New Gig

Jukester

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/buffalo-sports-talk-legend-howard-simon-enjoys-transitions-to-tour-guide-with-niagara-falls-adventures/article_41d7bc5a-2812-11ee-a4d4-cb06a2b70eb6.html

Heard him mention this in one of his cameos on the station since his retirement. Good to see him enjoying his post WGR days.  Anyone gotten a tour from him? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Huh?  He should be enjoying his retirement.  

If he needs to work, he should have stayed at gr-55.

Retirement isn't doing nothing.  Maybe he enjoys the part time job with little pressure to perform.

I have to admit, when thinking about what to do when I retire, the idea of being able to take people around to learn about a passion of mine has high appeal to me.  This is the type of gig that I might be interested in when I retire.  It keeps you active, moving around, meeting new people - it's a pretty healthy thing to be doing in retirement.  Plus it's supplemental income.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that show is brutal now. 

I guess I’m in the minority, I think the show is so much better without Simon. Howard mailed it in for the last years of his career and his “Howard picks the Bills” segment was an awful affront to the airwaves. I wish him well as a tour guide, but I won’t miss his tired, old guy Schtick in the morning.  

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Howard was good and definitely missed, but I don't think White and DiBiase are that bad in terms of knowledge and driving the discussion. The problem is neither possesses the smoothness and professionalism that Howard offered

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Howard was good and definitely missed, but I don't think White and DiBiase are that bad in terms of knowledge and driving the discussion. The problem is neither possesses the smoothness and professionalism that Howard offered

Sometimes being too "knowledgeable" comes into question 😎

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Agree on White, but he's better than Schopp and the Bullfrog!

Perhaps, but only slightly. It seems to me that he is modeling himself after Schopp pretty closely and becoming almost as much of a bore.  He even has his own yes man flunky now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tuned in a few times since Howard left and I've heard about Hot Dogs, tons of golf talk, tennis, soccer and tons of hockey.  Its insufferable and obviously not for guys who prefer football.

I feel like WGR is all hockey all the time lately.   The only person I can stand on the station anymore is Sal.  I've listened to enough golf and Paul Hamilton droning on about the Sabres to last a lifetime.

Its podcasts for me at this point.  Sad because I've listened to WGR for 20 years.

• Agree 1

S

6 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I guess I’m in the minority, I think the show is so much better without Simon. Howard mailed it in for the last years of his career and his “Howard picks the Bills” segment was an awful affront to the airwaves. I wish him well as a tour guide, but I won’t miss his tired, old guy Schtick in the morning.  

THANK YOU! I will never understand why "Howard picks the Bills" still sees the light of day. Just awful.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Agree on White, but he's better than Schopp and the Bullfrog!

Any two of your choice from this forum would be substantially better than that duo…

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Retirement isn't doing nothing.  Maybe he enjoys the part time job with little pressure to perform.

I have to admit, when thinking about what to do when I retire, the idea of being able to take people around to learn about a passion of mine has high appeal to me.  This is the type of gig that I might be interested in when I retire.  It keeps you active, moving around, meeting new people - it's a pretty healthy thing to be doing in retirement.  Plus it's supplemental income.

But do midget orgies really need a tour guide? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Huh?  He should be enjoying his retirement.  

If he needs to work, he should have stayed at gr-55.

I’m not local so I rarely have heard him. Last time 8 live full time in buffalo he was only a few years in buffalo.

i was surprised he was still young at 61.

I work for the fed govt. I can retire with a pension at 60 which will be near the end of this decade.  Do I plan on total retirement? No.  I plan on doing other things. Does it have to be identical to what I currently do— no.

hr has an interest in history and hr is capable of speaking bring a radio person …it makes sense. It’s not a full time gig. 

Think you have to wait until the fall to really judge the new show without Howard

But the off season shows have been brutal in my opinion

Can they go an entire episode without talking about "golf fashion" or make analogies to the bills/sabres to golf? I love playing golf and even watching it and learning about it. But please  dump the fashion talk, I don't need to hear guesses about what the PGA guys will be wearing on the "green carpet" 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.