Ron Raccucia out as EVP/COO

RiotAct

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

https://theathletic.com/4738337/2023/08/05/buffalo-bills-front-office-ron-raccuia/?source=user_shared_article

Graham also mentioned that PSE is on the hook for overages, and it appears the new stadium could cost nearly 500,000M more than the original estimate Raccuia put together.   Again, something he might have not been happy with.  

damn, 500 billion dollars?  That’s a lot of scratch!   Must be solid gold buffalo statues out front.

Edited by RiotAct
spelling
  • Haha (+1) 1

I really don't think the overrun had much to do with it. Be it $500M or whatever it runs it's not actually coming out of Terry's pocket. 

The money he has to front will be reflected in the final prices for tickets, PSLs, concession and souvenir items. In the end WE are the ones that will be reimbursing those funds.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

damn, 500 billion dollars?  That’s a lot of scratch!   Must be solid gold buffalo statues out front.

Nope.  Gold urinal tubs to replace the old ones.  I heard they drew the line at fluff era in each stall 

• Shocked 1

I have no comment on Ron Raccuia. As for PSE when it comes to the new Bills stadium nothing I say is going to matter when it comes to the new Buffalo Bills stadium. Seeing is going to be when Buffalo Bills fans like myself and others vocal critics of the new Buffalo Bills stadium will be proven right about our current ownership PSE and our Western New York representatives. Time isn’t going to reflect well on PSE ownership or our Western New York representatives. Again I agree we need a new Buffalo Bills stadium. Where I disagree is middling the new Buffalo Bills stadium and not putting real events in the new Buffalo Bills stadium. Barbie and Ken Bills fan getting married in the new Buffalo Bills stadium isn’t a real event for the Bills stadium it’s ridiculous is what it is. Real tenants like a Buffalo MLS team or a Buffalo WNBA team for Key Bank Center not garbage junk that doesn’t make Western New York quality of life better. Better for Barbie and Ken yes but that’s about it. Sadly we don’t have enough Buffalo fans speak up and unfortunately they will speak up but when it’s too late. MLS ever expands to Pittsburgh and Cleveland it’s like MLB baseball in Buffalo all over. Same if WNBA goes to Toronto it’s all over for Buffalo WNBA ever.

We need a Western New York sports commissions that is volunteer group of people to lobby for Western New York behalf when it comes to sports. We don’t do that while other areas do. Miami just got a MLR rugby franchise the Miami Sharks. Buffalo can’t even get a Buffalo MLR rugby franchise. Only stubborn people that are in total denial about Western New York will say ban Buffalo fans from telling the truth about our representatives how Western New York is getting screwed with no real betterment in the future because of poor leadership. We have some Bills fans that are in fantasy land if they think middling the new Bills stadium is going to keep the Bills tickets prices down it won’t.

My point has always been Buffalo Western New York should have nice things not middling it. Again with this stadium we should have had a Buffalo MLS team with the new stadium. Why? Why because there is no MLB baseball in Buffalo. There is no MLS in Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Buffalo MLS would have a huge territory to draw soccer fans from that aren’t served by MLS now. This whole new stadium situation is a giant missed opportunity for Western New York. I want to hear the Buffalo Bills fans excuses why Buffalo couldn’t support MLS or MLR in a new Bills stadium with a open area from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to Rochester and Syracuse? You can’t explain away with excuses except a cheap PSE ownership with Western New York representatives not demanding better for Western New York. This is a Western New York area that once got two major league teams in a year in 1970 NHL Buffalo Sabres and NBA Buffalo Braves. Today Western New York can’t even get MLS soccer team in a state of the art soccer stadium with a huge open territory with no major league sports teams in the summer in Buffalo. We don’t even try for MLS in Buffalo we get what we voted for representatives wise and accept middling junk from PSE. For the money taxpayers put up the Benefits Agreement should have been Buffalo MLS from PSE. We don’t even get WNBA expansion for Key Bank Center PSE is a disgrace. No Buffalo MLR rugby franchise but Miami with tons of teams that aren’t supported very well just got another new Miami franchise. Yet all I hear is Western New York is happening how? I want to hear our Buffalo Bills experts that think I am totally wrong expand why Western New York can’t afford a Buffalo MLR rugby franchise and how PSE is the best owners ever to have total control of both our major league buildings Highmark Stadium 2 and Key Bank Center with nothing in it besides the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Bandits? I am on record PSE are terrible owners and so are our Western New York representatives neither that are forward thinking for Western New York while Miami gets more and more every year. I am getting my popcorn ready for the excuses this should be a fun read in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I have no comment on Ron Raccuia. As for PSE when it comes to the new Bills stadium nothing I say is going to matter when it comes to the new Buffalo Bills stadium. Seeing is going to be when Buffalo Bills fans like myself and others vocal critics of the new Buffalo Bills stadium will be proven right about our current ownership PSE and our Western New York representatives. Time isn’t going to reflect well on PSE ownership or our Western New York representatives. Again I agree we need a new Buffalo Bills stadium. Where I disagree is middling the new Buffalo Bills stadium and not putting real events in the new Buffalo Bills stadium. Barbie and Ken Bills fan getting married in the new Buffalo Bills stadium isn’t a real event for the Bills stadium it’s ridiculous is what it is. Real tenants like a Buffalo MLS team or a Buffalo WNBA team for Key Bank Center not garbage junk that doesn’t make Western New York quality of life better. Better for Barbie and Ken yes but that’s about it. Sadly we don’t have enough Buffalo fans speak up and unfortunately they will speak up but when it’s too late. MLS ever expands to Pittsburgh and Cleveland it’s like MLB baseball in Buffalo all over. Same if WNBA goes to Toronto it’s all over for Buffalo WNBA ever.

We need a Western New York sports commissions that is volunteer group of people to lobby for Western New York behalf when it comes to sports. We don’t do that while other areas do. Miami just got a MLR rugby franchise the Miami Sharks. Buffalo can’t even get a Buffalo MLR rugby franchise. Only stubborn people that are in total denial about Western New York will say ban Buffalo fans from telling the truth about our representatives how Western New York is getting screwed with no real betterment in the future because of poor leadership. We have some Bills fans that are in fantasy land if they think middling the new Bills stadium is going to keep the Bills tickets prices down it won’t.

My point has always been Buffalo Western New York should have nice things not middling it. Again with this stadium we should have had a Buffalo MLS team with the new stadium. Why? Why because there is no MLB baseball in Buffalo. There is no MLS in Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Buffalo MLS would have a huge territory to draw soccer fans from that aren’t served by MLS now. This whole new stadium situation is a giant missed opportunity for Western New York. I want to hear the Buffalo Bills fans excuses why Buffalo couldn’t support MLS or MLR in a new Bills stadium with a open area from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to Rochester and Syracuse? You can’t explain away with excuses except a cheap PSE ownership with Western New York representatives not demanding better for Western New York. This is a Western New York area that once got two major league teams in a year in 1970 NHL Buffalo Sabres and NBA Buffalo Braves. Today Western New York can’t even get MLS soccer team in a state of the art soccer stadium with a huge open territory with no major league sports teams in the summer in Buffalo. We don’t even try for MLS in Buffalo we get what we voted for representatives wise and accept middling junk from PSE. For the money taxpayers put up the Benefits Agreement should have been Buffalo MLS from PSE. We don’t even get WNBA expansion for Key Bank Center PSE is a disgrace. No Buffalo MLR rugby franchise but Miami with tons of teams that aren’t supported very well just got another new Miami franchise. Yet all I hear is Western New York is happening how? I want to hear our Buffalo Bills experts that think I am totally wrong expand why Western New York can’t afford a Buffalo MLR rugby franchise and how PSE is the best owners ever to have total control of both our major league buildings Highmark Stadium 2 and Key Bank Center with nothing in it besides the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Bandits? I am on record PSE are terrible owners and so are our Western New York representatives neither that are forward thinking for Western New York while Miami gets more and more every year. I am getting my popcorn ready for the excuses this should be a fun read in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Good god…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

We don't care

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Draconator said:

We don't care

I can’t say for sure, because I have other things to do this afternoon and didn’t take time to read all that. It looked daunting. Anyone care to provide Cliff Notes? 

Gotta go check on Spencer Brown now……

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

You want to host MLS and Rugby in the new 60,000 seat stadium?  😂😂😂

Where are the attendance numbers to back that up, or are you okay with 5-10k for soccer and a few hundred for rugby in this huge stadium?

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Anyone care to provide Cliff Notes? 

I hate the Pegulas. I hate Buffalo sports teams' marketing. I hate how all Buffalo sports franchises are run. 

Go Biils. Go Sabres. Go Bisons. Go Beauts. Let's Go Buffalo. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I hate the Pegulas. I hate Buffalo sports teams' marketing. I hate how all Buffalo sports franchises are run. 

So……….the usual. Got it. Thx. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Basically this.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Draconator said:

You forgot UB.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I can’t say for sure, because I have other things to do this afternoon and didn’t take time to read all that. It looked daunting. Anyone care to provide Cliff Notes? 

we have missed the boat on a world class WNBA franchise. 

I am not sure that will be received how he expects. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Well I'm not sure, but I think the Cliff Notes are "the plans for the new stadium suck because it isn't designed for MLS and rugby."

Honorable mention to Ken and Barbie as apparent Bills fans, News to Me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

we have missed the boat on a world class WNBA franchise. 

I am not sure that will be received how he expects. 

I’ll tell you all I know about the WNBA, and it should not come as news to anyone: Do NOT try to smuggle hash oil into Russia. 

• Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

You want to host MLS and Rugby in the new 60,000 seat stadium?  😂😂😂

Where are the attendance numbers to back that up, or are you okay with 5-10k for soccer and a few hundred for rugby in this huge stadium?

dude this guy is just…gone. He has some grudge against Pegula and PSE and it has obviously infested his mind to a point where there’s no going back. 

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Well I'm not sure, but I think the Cliff Notes are "the plans for the new stadium suck because it isn't designed for MLS and rugby."

Honorable mention to Ken and Barbie as apparent Bills fans, News to Me

I don’t want to ever, even inadvertently, make light of anyone on here that has mental health troubles. So I’ll just say, good for @I am leaving for good for stringing together 4 or 5 paragraphs at a time of his or her or their thoughts. 

give us 2 soccer teams! Give us rugby! Why stop there? Give us weekday cricket!  Freeze the f’n field in January and give us extreme curling!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Tim Graham, The Athletic:

"Ron Raccuia was among seven dignitaries welcomed on stage for the ceremonial groundbreaking of the Buffalo Bills’ new $1.54 billion stadium.

He sat at owner Terry Pegula’s right arm and was brought to the lectern first, introduced by the emcee as “instrumental” in the team’s business operations and having “a huge hand in making this stadium a reality.”

"As the event unfolded, few likely noticed what wasn’t said for the next 31 minutes after Raccuia sat back down. These kinds of ceremonies feature a blizzard of shoutouts and thank-yous that quickly numb an audience’s ears. But those who paid close attention might have noticed that nobody — not Pegula, not Gov. Kathy Hochul, not Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz, not NFLcommissioner Roger Goodell — credited Raccuia as the Bills’ chief operating officer and lead stadium negotiator.

Perhaps the silence should have been a hint. Six weeks after Raccuia stuck his golden shovel into the dirt on June 5, the Bills fired him, punctuating one of the most meteoric career arcs in Buffalo sports history and hitting yet another reset button within a Pegula front office."

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Tim Graham, The Athletic:

"Ron Raccuia was among seven dignitaries welcomed on stage for the ceremonial groundbreaking of the Buffalo Bills’ new $1.54 billion stadium.

He sat at owner Terry Pegula’s right arm and was brought to the lectern first, introduced by the emcee as “instrumental” in the team’s business operations and having “a huge hand in making this stadium a reality.”

"As the event unfolded, few likely noticed what wasn’t said for the next 31 minutes after Raccuia sat back down. These kinds of ceremonies feature a blizzard of shoutouts and thank-yous that quickly numb an audience’s ears. But those who paid close attention might have noticed that nobody — not Pegula, not Gov. Kathy Hochul, not Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz, not NFLcommissioner Roger Goodell — credited Raccuia as the Bills’ chief operating officer and lead stadium negotiator.

Perhaps the silence should have been a hint. Six weeks after Raccuia stuck his golden shovel into the dirt on June 5, the Bills fired him, punctuating one of the most meteoric career arcs in Buffalo sports history and hitting yet another reset button within a Pegula front office."

I mean, all that being almost certainly true, the guy must have been a colossal pr*ck.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t want to ever, even inadvertently, make light of anyone on here that has mental health troubles. So I’ll just say, good for @I am leaving for good for stringing together 4 or 5 paragraphs at a time of his or her or their thoughts. 

give us 2 soccer teams! Give us rugby! Why stop there? Give us weekday cricket!  Freeze the f’n field in January and give us extreme curling!

I think if he wasn't quickly sedated a Buffalo 2032 Summer Olympic Games proposal paragraph was coming next.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I really don't think the overrun had much to do with it. Be it $500M or whatever it runs it's not actually coming out of Terry's pocket. 

The money he has to front will be reflected in the final prices for tickets, PSLs, concession and souvenir items. In the end WE are the ones that will be reimbursing those funds.

Correct.  He's making a great investment.  There's a reason he's a self made billionaire and all the power to him.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i’d put my concern-o-meter at about a 1/10. Right in that “who gives a ****” range

I’m right there with ya. Someone is going to have to force me to be worried about this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"He was said to be “obnoxious” and “arrogant” in his business dealing and reportedly turned off NY Gov. Kathy Hochul during negotiations."

Hochul strikes me as an incompetent hack, so there’s that. Her only experience in the real business world was that she worked (for a short time…a couple years) as a government relations executive for M&T Bank. So obviously she was NOT someone well versed or experienced in making these kinds of deals.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Hochul strikes me as an incompetent hack, so there’s that. Her only experience in the real business world was that she worked (for a short time…a couple years) as a government relations executive for M&T Bank. So obviously she was NOT someone well versed or experienced in making these kinds of deals.

Leaving aside what does and does not strike you, do you really believe she was the only one in the room dealing on behalf of NYS?

No, you don't.

• Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think if he wasn't quickly sedated a Buffalo 2032 Summer Olympic Games proposal paragraph was coming next.

A paragraph on that?

Fake Fat Sunny and his long string of aliases who all go on and on in a free association tangent and say the same thing twenty times… is back / has changed names yet again.

23 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

i thought the 100% responsibility of cost overruns by the Bills could be a contributing factor in the firing.

The budget is $1.54 billion and they're already looking at 30% over after barely breaking ground?

This was a huge concession by the Bills IMO and purely from the team perspective, not a good one.

Atop the other reasons this could have been the last straw.

It could be this.

It could be he didn’t interact well with others and this is the reason attached to it.

He worked closely with Beane and I’m Twrry consulted with him before he made the move.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, JohnNord said:

I think there are questions to be raised with PSE.  This move kind of reminds me of what happened with the Sabres.  Rather than hiring people from outside to fill departures they just promote and shuffle around the staff they already have.  Terry has assumed mote responsibility since the firing.  

What's "mote responsibility"?

Edited by Thurman#1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Anyone care to provide Cliff Notes? 

We should have a Buffalo MLS team because there is no Buffalo MLB team.

MLS is so popular that fans would travel from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Rochester and Syracuse to watch Buffalo MLS.

Middling is both an adjective and a verb.

NYS and Western NY representatives should have forced PSE to buy an unavailable MLS franchise--and an WNBA franchise (Buffalo is not on the WNBA list for expansion, but still...).

Barbie and Ken are getting married in the new Bills stadium.