Rapp Your Head Around This .

T master

It's a new season McD & Beane have brought in some really stiff competition for roster spots this year, one of them being the safety that was with the rams Taylor Rapp and after last season with all the injury's i feel Rapp was brought in because of his experience and his upside .

That being said I was looking at pictures of mini camp & Rapp was working out next to Damar & it is clear that Rapp is much bigger & has had more time on the field than Damar . Both have there deficiency's in their personal games Damar had some lacks in coverage last year but did pretty good in relief of Mica & I read that Rapp has a few areas where he could get better too .

Just by looking at the pictures seeing how much thicker Rapp is than Damar then Rapp having a guaranteed 1 yr contract & given what Damar went through last season i was wondering how Bills fans might feel if McD & Beane felt that Rapp was the one they wanted to keep because he would be the better fit for the team & where it is headed ? 

I know all of our hearts have been with Damar ever since his mishap last year & we have all been routing for him & his come back to play once again in the NFL & for the Bills but what if ? 

McD & Beane are always looking to field the best team they can to ultimately win a Super Bowl & what if they think that Rapp is the one that is better fit & better suited to help them get to their ultimate goal ? Would you feel that they owe Damar a spot on the final 53 because he gave the ultimate sacrifice for his team or would you agree with the decision to move forward with out Damar ? 

• Like (+1) 2

Taylor Rapp weakness is in coverage with targets catching ball large percentage of time.

His assets are tackling and energy. Rapp is a high protein consumer so him looking bigger than Damar. 

For physically type I'd say he is like Poyer and is a lot stronger for his size that other players.

I think Buffalo was targeted by Rapp due to a coaching staff which has done a lot with late round DB picks,  Now the Bills coaching staff have a safety drafted in 2nd round and started in the Superbpwl with good game mechanics and sound tackling; they just need to improve his cover skills.  He will learn a lot watching Hyde and Poyer prepare and be sound player for special teams due to his sound tackling.

Growing up in Seattle he is used to having cloudy skies unlike some of the players who seem to have season depression.

He also likes fishing and will find plenty of places to do it locally.

His family is partial Canadian with father being from Toronto and has been to Bills games.

It Rapp really likes the locker room and coaching staff he may replace one of the starting safeties next year.

I think whether his new wife likes area will be big factor especially since he was just married.

• Like (+1) 2

In fairness it doesn't matter what any of our emotions are. If Rapp puts us in a better position to win, staff will move forward with him.

I love damar, followed him at Pitt. Was stoked to draft him. Likes his potential. But if we go Rapp, I won't feel bad seeing damar leave. I wanna see him on a team with best chance to see the field more often. 

I'll pull for dude harder than I've pulled for any other former Bill. He ain't gunna let that happen without a fight. Traumatic experiences can really change a person. Would not shock me if he came in this year locked and dialed in like never before. Let the best man win, it'll make them both better. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Taylor Rapp weakness is in coverage with targets catching ball large percentage of time.

His assets are tackling and energy. Rapp is a high protein consumer so him looking bigger than Damar. 

For physically type I'd say he is like Poyer and is a lot stronger for his size that other players.

I think Buffalo was targeted by Rapp due to a coaching staff which has done a lot with late round DB picks,  Now the Bills coaching staff have a safety drafted in 2nd round and started in the Superbpwl with good game mechanics and sound tackling; they just need to improve his cover skills.  He will learn a lot watching Hyde and Poyer prepare and be sound player for special teams due to his sound tackling.

Growing up in Seattle he is used to having cloudy skies unlike some of the players who seem to have season depression.

His family is partial Canadian with father being from Toronto and has been to Bills games.

It Rapp really likes the locker room and coaching staff he may replace one of the starting safeties next year.

I think whether his new wife likes area will be big factor especially since he was just married.

I think both these players are more of a fit to replace poyer then Hyde. Generally fit to play closer to the line. 

Poyer and Hyde are pretty interchangeable in they can play each other's positions. After this year when one of them leaves, we'll have to switch back to each safety being locked into their position, either FS or SS. 

But I'm a message board warrior with a brain injury, and no hard knowledge of our scheme. Ole' eyeball test....I could be totally wrong 😅 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Even If I'm right, someone dumber than me could convince me I'm wrong. C'est la message board vie

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

It's a new season McD & Beane have brought in some really stiff competition for roster spots this year, one of them being the safety that was with the rams Taylor Rapp and after last season with all the injury's i feel Rapp was brought in because of his experience and his upside .

That being said I was looking at pictures of mini camp & Rapp was working out next to Damar & it is clear that Rapp is much bigger & has had more time on the field than Damar . Both have there deficiency's in their personal games Damar had some lacks in coverage last year but did pretty good in relief of Mica & I read that Rapp has a few areas where he could get better too .

Just by looking at the pictures seeing how much thicker Rapp is than Damar then Rapp having a guaranteed 1 yr contract & given what Damar went through last season i was wondering how Bills fans might feel if McD & Beane felt that Rapp was the one they wanted to keep because he would be the better fit for the team & where it is headed ? 

I know all of our hearts have been with Damar ever since his mishap last year & we have all been routing for him & his come back to play once again in the NFL & for the Bills but what if ? 

McD & Beane are always looking to field the best team they can to ultimately win a Super Bowl & what if they think that Rapp is the one that is better fit & better suited to help them get to their ultimate goal ? Would you feel that they owe Damar a spot on the final 53 because he gave the ultimate sacrifice for his team or would you agree with the decision to move forward with out Damar ? 

good post T and I think Rapp will be a solid contributor to the defense. But he’s not a complete safety, as you said. He wouldn’t have been available at his price if he were. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

I appreciate your insight and enthusiasm about the team, (and I know I’m gonna get nailed for this - so here it goes)….. have you ever heard of a “run on sentence” while you were at school? 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I appreciate your insight and enthusiasm about the team, (and I know I’m gonna get nailed for this - so here it goes)….. have you ever heard of a “run on sentence” while you were at school? 

it’s been brought up to T before here. Just how they are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

you mean seasonal depression

where has this been documented?

9 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

So, you are getting in on the ground floor with a little known group called Run DMC? Its just noise with a lot of yelling itll never catch on...

Well you're right and you're wrong.  It definitely is noise with yelling, that can't be argued.

But unfortunately, with a certain segment of society, it definitely caught on.

Actually Run DMC looked like Beethoven compared to the utter trash out there today.

• Eyeroll 1

Best players stay. That's just how it is.

I like Hamlin. Liked him even before the unfortunate incident he had. For his lack of experience I though he played reasonably well last year and had a ton of upside with room to get better with experience. If he is physically well and mentally ready for football, I see no way he doesn't make the team on his own merits. If not they will not carry him "just because". And I'm cool with that. I'm sure Damar will get another opportunity if he somehow doesn't make the roster, maybe even back home in Pittsburgh. 

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

In fairness it doesn't matter what any of our emotions are. If Rapp puts us in a better position to win, staff will move forward with him.

I love damar, followed him at Pitt. Was stoked to draft him. Likes his potential. But if we go Rapp, I won't feel bad seeing damar leave. I wanna see him on a team with best chance to see the field more often. 

I'll pull for dude harder than I've pulled for any other former Bill. He ain't gunna let that happen without a fight. Traumatic experiences can really change a person. Would not shock me if he came in this year locked and dialed in like never before. Let the best man win, it'll make them both better. 

my gut is damar to the practice squad and called up with the first injury 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hamlin is safety #4. He will make the team unless he has some residual lung injury that limits his abilities. 

I’d argue 4 is Marlowes spot to lose 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

This is a reasonable take. Before the cardiac arrest Hamlin was the better player. This coaching staff kept Johnson over Marlowe in the past so not sure how high on Marlowe they are. 

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This is a reasonable take. Before the cardiac arrest Hamlin was the better player. This coaching staff kept Johnson over Marlowe in the past so not sure how high on Marlowe they are. 

Marlowe was let go for salary cap reasons.  A number of players the Bills could not afford were let go although not for performance.

If this team cuts Damar this season they deserve all the fallout that comes with such an idiotic decision.  NO WAY.  Not this year.  It would be political suicide that would suck plenty of life out of this team at a minimum.  

• Dislike 2

9 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Actually no because i don't care enough about it !!

You know i apologize . But i'm not here for a english lesson i'm here tot all about football .

The only thing i can tell you is if it bothers you that much that it is probably something i will do again ! If you are looking for proper english (which yes i did fail) & don't GAS about then don't read my post if it bothers you that much sorry !! 

Was this reply better for you ?? 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, T master said:

T:

I know a couple of guys have you crap about starting this thread, but I don’t mind at all.  I veer from your POV though in that I see Rapp as our Big Nickel, alternate for Taron when we face sound 12 personnel and 21 personnel teams.  He’s better suited with his speed and power to stand up to those options.  

He gets developed this year by this coaching staff to walk into Hyde or Poyer (most likely Hyde) next year as Hyde won’t be under contract and 33/34.

Im not going to walk down the Hamlin story.  He has a way to go, but all the best hopes for him.  It just can’t factor into who stays and who goes.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, T master said:

Actually no because i don't care enough about it !!

You know i apologize . But i'm not here for a english lesson i'm here tot all about football .

The only thing i can tell you is if it bothers you that much that it is probably something i will do again ! If you are looking for proper english (which yes i did fail) & don't GAS about then don't read my post if it bothers you that much sorry !! 

Was this reply better for you ?? 

I actually don’t care about the grammar, ( I really don’t).  Im interested in communicating and understanding what you’re trying to convey, I would think you want that.  

If that makes you so happy, (To continue to write / communicate the way you do - and to do so on purpose), that’s great, I wish my pleasures would be that simple. Cheers!

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Thats fine if he goes to PS. Still makes the team.
 Not unlikely he will get called up at some point if not poached during the season

I feel it's not only a depth signing but he'll take over the big nickel spot for sure, i believe Neal played last year . Many ppl thought Rapp would get a nice 3 year deal for decent $ . So we got him for a steal. 

Edited by JerseyBills

55 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I actually don’t care about the grammar, ( I really don’t).  Im interested in communicating and understanding what you’re trying to convey, I would think you want that.  

If that makes you so happy, (To continue to write / communicate the way you do - and to do so on purpose), that’s great, I wish my pleasures would be that simple. Cheers!

I consider it almost like rambling & i sometimes forget to stop almost like a mind dump . I do care about communication but punctuation has never been something i've been good at .

12 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

There is no way Damar doesn't make the team, the negative PR the Bills would get if he were cut would be enough to force Pegula to sell.  That said, if he's our primary backup I don't have a good feeling about our safety depth...

Please, nobody actually cares about a back up safety’s job.  He has his platform, he’s doing great work in the world, if the Bills cut him, such is life.  He’s not a great player, he’s not really even good.  Had the incident not happened, people would be clamoring for Rapp over him all day. 

Edited by DCofNC
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Please, nobody actually cares about a back up safety’s job.  He has his platform, he’s doing great work in the world, if the Bills cut him, such is life.  He’s not a great player, he’s not really even good.  Had the incident not happened, people would be clamoring for Rapp over him all day. 

We only had both of our two all-world starting safeties start and finish one game last season, so I do in fact care about our safety depth.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Hamlin was preferred to Marlowe last year.

After cut downs, the safeties for the Bills will in all likelihood be Hyde, Poyer, Rapp and Hamlin. After Poyer and Hyde, I still don't think the Bills have safeties that I want as the long term starters.  Yeah, Rapp has good size and is a big hitter, but he's poor in coverage and lacks even average speed for a safety.  Almost any receiver who gets behind him is going to score, and he has less room for error than most defensive backs in the angles he takes toward ball carriers.  Hamlin is listed at 200 lbs, a mere 8 lbs less than Rapp.  Scouting reports on Hamlin coming out of college suggest he's also challenged in the speed department.   He was said to be good in the short zone and in run support but challenged in deep zone and man coverage.  He also bites on fakes and tends to commit too soon sometimes.   I'm sure he has worked on his weak points in his time with the Bills, but he's nowhere near Poyer and Hyde in his skill set or his football intelligence.  I'm pretty sure the Bills will be looking outside the team for the eventual successors to Hyde and Poyer over the next off season or three.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Hamlin was preferred to Marlowe last year.

that may be a bit oversimplified in that he was a free agent

and also may not reflect status a year later even if accepted on face value. 

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Thats fine if he goes to PS. Still makes the team.
 Not unlikely he will get called up at some point if not poached during the season

I’ll agree here. If healthy and returns to playing 100% speed he has a role in the league and it may likely be here still. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Marlowe was let go for salary cap reasons.  A number of players the Bills could not afford were let go although not for performance.

also, I’m sure he liked a path to play that wasn’t afforded by our current safety pair. That said both sides seem to see some value between the trade back and resigning.

4 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

There is no way Damar doesn't make the team, the negative PR the Bills would get if he were cut would be enough to force Pegula to sell.  That said, if he's our primary backup I don't have a good feeling about our safety depth...

if the owner brings a guy back for PR, there may actually be an argument to have him sell - unlike simply letting the process play out with the best 53. 

practice squad would also satiate the masses, if insisting on that aspect, and I do think that’s a likely outcome if organically arranging the pieces without any special consideration 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Well you're right and you're wrong.  It definitely is noise with yelling, that can't be argued.

But unfortunately, with a certain segment of society, it definitely caught on.

Actually Run DMC looked like Beethoven compared to the utter trash out there today.

So was Rock n Roll... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.