McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Some Heads around here are exploding as we type, 😂

🤯

Oh well, I like the idea of keeping Beane but McD just doesn't have the chops to win us a close playoff game.  Enjoy McShottenheimer if that's your thing?

Edited by LABILLBACKER

18 minutes ago, julian said:

In fairness, 30 other teams have failed to accomplish that over the same time period

You just drastically altered the argument by the post to which I responded.  

Is that a standard to be held aloft as being great?  

Our 90's era team blew that out of the water and Kelly was no where near as good as Allen.  

Just sayin'

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Already some here hoping they get fired anyways, it’s so much fun sit back and watch the mental gymnastics required to maintain their thought process, 😂 🍸🚬, where’s my bar snacks…, 🤣

Any proof they have thought processes?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills better win the SB soon or the McDermott holy wars will be in full force.....starting to get BBMB during the drought vibes.

He just needs to get there.  

If he can freaking get there a ton is alleviated - and his resume looks extremely stellar.  

Would at least remove the stink of 13 seconds.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

The piece that disgruntled fans here seem to lack awareness of is exactly how hard both Beane & McDermott work to get better at their professions.

They are open to new ideas, trying new things, and actively focusing on improving their own deficiencies in the off-season

This isn't guys like Jeff Fisher, or Marty Schottenheimer, or Marvin Lewis, or Mike McCarthy who might have had some early success and mostly fiddly-farted their way through the last 2/3 of their careers - fans and pundits KNOWING that these guys weren't going to get any better or ever sniff a SB

My point is that both guys, and especially McDermott are putting in the hard work and effort to keep the stability that they've built the last 6 seasons while making the changes and enhancements that are needed to improve and keep giving us shots at a ring.  

Each and every frigging year

The "word-of-the-day" appears to be stability.  

Stability is one thing, ultimate competitiveness entirely another.  

It's quite possible to have stability without being ultimately competitive.  

But given what you said, what are your expectation(s) for the team this year?  

Our playoff history isn't great here.  

Edited by PBF81

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You just drastically altered the argument by the post to which I responded.  

Is that a standard to be held aloft as being great?  

Our 90's era team blew that out of the water and Kelly was no where near as good as Allen.  

Just sayin'

Once again here we are. No one is saying Super Bowl isn't the goal.

The difference in opinion is that we think McDermott and Beane are putting us in a position to achieve that goal.

You think that McDermott is a detriment to that goal - that we cannot win it with him because he is not capable of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

But, why?

Didn't they have several years of contract left?

Doesn’t really matter I guess. Many coaches have been fired after signing extensions.

Agree this really means very little.  So no need for anyone to go nuts.  Likely they were safe for another 2 years anyway barring disaster.  Most GM's to get a 2nd chance on HC so even if McD were to be let go, likely Beane would have hung on.

This just means if if Pegula wants to fire them in next couple of years, he'll just need to dig another well.

Is he still digging wells or did he get out of that business?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

Yeah, this take is almost as bad as Einstein's.  Not as bad though

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

But, why?

Didn't they have several years of contract left?

Doesn’t really matter I guess. Many coaches have been fired after signing extensions.

Someone with an IQ as large as you claim should be able to understand reason - they are trying to eliminate a portion of fandom in preparation for reducing size of stadium.  May I suggest you join JEST fandom so you can help raise average IQ of their fandom?

22 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Is the 'O' on your keyboard broken or are you just being super cool?

I pr0mise I am n0t c00l at all.  

Damn 0h key 0n my macb00k is n0t wrking.   I d0 n0t want t0 sit here with an0ther keyb0ard in my lap...s0 I am d0ing this bit at the m0ment

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. And the likelihood is the rope is a fair bit longer. Part of the reason why is surely that Terry knows he isn't great at these appointments. For all that McD and Beane ain't perfect and there are legit holes you can pick in both, they are overwhelmingly the two best hires that Pegs has made across multiple attempts for two franchises. 

Exactly!  When you watch the teams that change leadership frequently, they are an ongoing clown show.  It is hard to consistently win in the NFL and these guys have shown the ability to build a good roster and win games to compete for a championship.  New GM's and coaches most often want to purge a roster and get their guys which usually leads to a significant rebuild (losing season)  There is no guarantee that a new coach and GM would do better than these guys.  In fact when you look around the league, many new coaches have not been a significant improvement over the guys they replaced.  At best it is a roll of the dice.

For the people that want a change, I'd be interested to know who the sure fire improvement replacement candidates would be.  When I look around the league at the last few coaching changes, most don't strike me as an improvement ( TB, Carolina, AZ, Chargers, Saints, Minnesota, Browns, Colts, Atlanta )

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Even the media speculated McDermott could be on the hot seat if the Bills suffered another playoff disappointment. It's understandable the fans would feel the same way. But the only opinion that count's is Terry's and he sees it differently.

Media would speculate the earth is flat if it would get the hits.  The fans? Too much drinking killed brain cells.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The difference in opinion is that we think McDermott and Beane are putting us in a position to achieve that goal.

You think that McDermott is a detriment to that goal - that we cannot win it with him because he is not capable of it.  

Well thanks Tuel, one of your more congenial and substantive posts to me.  🙂

Having said that, three wild-card round wins, two over crap teams without QBs, and twice barely, and a single divisional round win, all with Allen, arguably the most athletically gifted and unique QB in league history, hardly stacks the evidence for a future Championship in your corner.  

For contrast, compare the 90s team's playoff performances with a notably lesser QB.  

We keep hearing from your side about this "positioning," perhaps you or some one can explain how many seasons/years of "positioning" is sufficient before a Championship can be expected?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m good with this. The Bills have been one of the best teams in the NFL for the majority of McBeane’s tenure.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-5-years

4th in the NFL in total wins from 2018-present. You don’t just throw that away.

Be as good as you can for as long as you can…

We’ve been attracting good NFL free agents wanting to chase Super Bowls for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Added Reid to your list as took him 21 years to win the SB.

Reid only won because of Mahomes.  Belichick is a .500 coach without Tom.  At least Marv got us to 4 SB's with a QB substantially "less talented" than Josh.  What's Sean's excuse, because there always is one.

• Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's funny.  So many folks thought it was Super Bowl or Bust for McD.  Apparently, Terry didn't see it that way.  

I'm personally happy.  After 17 years of hopelessness, we finally have a legitimate shot at the Lombardi with these two.  

You can't win the dance competition without a ticket to the dance.  These guys give us tickets.  

I'm not particularly negative on McDermott, but Josh Allen is the ticket. Let's not kid ourselves.

Beane hit with him and he's going to be riding that goodwill for a while. It's not easy to take a risk and find a QB. 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I read a report that states McD and Beane were secretly conspiring to walk out on the team if they weren’t given an extension. They voiced their concerns with resignation papers in hand.  Terry folded to the pressure and here we are.

You must have the same source as that Albany writer who said Bills were moving to Austin.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m good with this. The Bills have been one of the best teams in the NFL for the majority of McBeane’s tenure.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-5-years

4th in the NFL in total wins from 2018-present. You don’t just throw that away.

Be as good as you can for as long as you can…

We’ve been attracting good NFL free agents wanting to chase Super Bowls for a reason.

No one is questioning our prowess in the regular season, no one.  

Edited by PBF81

5 minutes ago, Fetou said:

I'm not particularly negative on McDermott, but Josh Allen is the ticket. Let's not kid ourselves.

Beane hit with him and he's going to be riding that goodwill for a while. It's not easy to take a risk and find a QB. 

The question boils down to whether or not McD, a defensive head coach, has what out takes to turn that ticket into a winner.  

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Reid only won because of Mahomes.  Belichick is a .500 coach without Tom.  At least Marv got us to 4 SB's with a QB substantially "less talented" than Josh.  What's Sean's excuse, because there always is one.

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If Reid had had Allen in Philly, do you think it would have changed anything in that way?  

Reid had McNabb who was a very good QB, but Reid still couldn't win with him.  One page I found had him ranked 26th all time.

Comparing Kelly to Allen is kind of pointless as a different era.  While Allen would have been bigger than any QB back then he also may not have survived as well back then due to the pounding he'd have taken and defenses didn't need to worry as much about getting flagged.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yes,  I absolutely think he is a detriment.  Josh single-handedly will guarantee us 10-12 wins every year.  Not McDermott and his mediocre game day decisions. But come playoff time with high leverage teams and opposing HC's, Clappy melts.  Games like blowing a 16-0 lead in Houston or 13 seconds only validates that argument.   I'm telling ya he'll always guarantee you that "stability" and I think Terry is in love with that concept.  But climbing the top of Mt. Lombardi is not something Sean will be capable of. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Lost said:

We really need to get back to talking about Tremaine Edmunds

We are talking about Tremaine Edmunds - part of the reason why they got extended is they made the wise decision to not extend him at figure Bears paid.

24 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

s0rry 0n my macb00k at the m0ment.  

and yes the 0h key is n0t w0rking.

You might try a visual keyboard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.