McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Diggs has issue with things. McD and Beane are rewarded. Could be related could be not. We knows maybe Diggs went as far as saying the team needs a change in leadership and this is the message no it does not. 

Did Diggs actually say we need a change in leadership, strange how i missed that. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Easy, obvious decision.  The Bills have a good thing going.  Let's not mess it up.

Agreed, three straight seasons of Allen advancing us past the wild-card round (twice against two of the worst teams in the playoffs) and even a divisional round win as a bonus.

What more could anyone want as a Bills fan.  

😁

Edited by PBF81
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, agree. And probably, sad to say, Kim's health too. Not sure Terry is for ripping up the stability he has with the Bills unless he really has to with all the other factors. 

Just as an organization, I suspect that Kim's health issues have had a much broader effect on the team than has been discussed.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

So turning a franchise of lovable losers into true SB contenders for three years straight and counting is worth more than the opinions of fans on TBD? 

Blasphemy. 

They turned the franchise around and deserve credit for that. But they haven’t been “true SB contenders.” Based on their various degrees of playoff implosion, there’s still a brick wall separating legit SB contention. 

The question is whether the current direction of the roster, cap situation, and defense-oriented outlook will get them any closer. 

1 minute ago, Bob Jones said:

Once again here we have proof that NFL owners may be super rich, but most of them are as dumb as a rock. This move was NOT needed, and really is mind boggling. There's absolutely no good reason to do this.

Reminds me of the big contract given to Fitzpatrick years ago, mid season, after the Bills got off to a good start (5-1, I think). What happened for the rest of the year though? LOL

Comparing a players contract to a coaches contract is the mind boggling part.

That's not "team" money.  That's Terry's money.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

And you just reiterated the same quote, but this time in agreement. Are you a tool or a clown?

I have no idea what you are talking about man. I just said Pegula would not extend both Beane or McDermott if the thought even existed in their mind that they were on the hotseat this year as so many of YOU claim they are.

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

They turned the franchise around and deserve credit for that. But they haven’t been “true SB contenders.” Based on their various degrees of playoff implosion, there’s still a brick wall separating legit SB contention. 

The question is whether the current direction of the roster, cap situation, and defense-oriented outlook will get them any closer. 

Really, that havent been true super Bowl contenders?  Sure about that?

Non-sense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

lmao the random rationalization because it cant be they are happy with McDermott and Beane's progress of putting us in the position to finally win it all. Its gotta be x y z instead.

I don't think they should be fired. Just odd they are extended with 3 years left

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

"... especially the black players???" Where is your head at?

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Two wild-card games and a Divisional game?

With Allen?  

I certainly hope that fan expectations going forward are higher than that. 

Just sayin''

In fairness, 30 other teams have failed to accomplish that over the same time period

30 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

Thumbs up for Beane extension. 

Thumbs down for McD extension, AND I DO NOT WANT HIM GONE at this time. 

I'm not sure that anyone wanted him gone right now, but if this season ends up again barely beating another schlep team in the wild-card round followed by a loss in the divisional round, why do I see a significant change in attitude here.  LOL 

Waiting the season would seem to have been wise.  Not sure why the hurry with three seasons remaining on both of their contacts, which were sync'd a couple of years ago.  

6 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Once again here we have proof that NFL owners may be super rich, but most of them are as dumb as a rock. This move was NOT needed, and really is mind boggling. There's absolutely no good reason to do this.

Reminds me of the big contract given to Fitzpatrick years ago, mid season, after the Bills got off to a good start (5-1, I think). What happened for the rest of the year though? LOL

Josh will be 31 by the end of this deal.  I don't feel I need to elaborate on what needs to happen between now and then.  

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If they’re a top 5 combo then they routinely underperform their own capabilities by flailing in the round of 8.

Oh, Einstein. Please don’t make me continue to push back on your agenda. It’s as sound as the OceanGate submersible. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I have no idea what you are talking about man. I just said Pegula would not extend both Beane or McDermott if the thought even existed in their mind that they were on the hotseat this year as so many of YOU claim they are.

Alright. So you have no idea of your own opinions from day to day. I buy that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The piece that disgruntled fans here seem to lack awareness of is exactly how hard both Beane & McDermott work to get better at their professions.

They are open to new ideas, trying new things, and actively focusing on improving their own deficiencies in the off-season

This isn't guys like Jeff Fisher, or Marty Schottenheimer, or Marvin Lewis, or Mike McCarthy who might have had some early success and mostly fiddly-farted their way through the last 2/3 of their careers - fans and pundits KNOWING that these guys weren't going to get any better or ever sniff a SB

My point is that both guys, and especially McDermott are putting in the hard work and effort to keep the stability that they've built the last 6 seasons while making the changes and enhancements that are needed to improve and keep giving us shots at a ring.  

Each and every frigging year

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The only part I winced at is "Proud, Christian, determined man."  

Like his religious beliefs have anything to do with anything.  If he were Buddhist, would it have been mentioned?  

I don’t know, maybe, we’re in the middle of a month where we’re forced to celebrate the sexual identity of certain groups. 

If McDermott were a member of the LGBTQ community, I guarantee that would be highlighted. 

Come to think of it, exposes’ of public figures do often reference their spiritual beliefs .. in this country it’s typically Christian/Catholic or Jewish. 

I wouldn’t have an issue with the Jets extending Saleh and, as part of their description, saying “Proud, Muslim..”.  It’s a big part of who he is.  We were told about that quite frequently when he was hired. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

So turning a franchise of lovable losers into true SB contenders for three years straight and counting is worth more than the opinions of fans on TBD? 

Blasphemy. 

Some coaches could have made them Super Bowl Champions instead of Super Bowl contenders.  

Some/most (never say never/all) good coaches wouldn't have committed that "13-Seconds" debacle and we'd likely have had our Super Bowl win already.   

Just sayin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This was the first thing I was thinking also.

What better way to get people to stop making claims about rifts between the players and coaches than extending them.

I have no problem with the extension because they have done well enough to deserve it and it doesn't mean that thinks can't change later on.

This season is going to be incredibly interesting, more so than most, on the field as well as here.  LOL

Just now, mushypeaches said:

The piece that disgruntled fans here seem to lack awareness of is exactly how hard both Beane & McDermott work to get better at their professions.

They are open to new ideas, trying new things, and actively focusing on improving their own deficiencies in the off-season

This isn't guys like Jeff Fisher, or Marty Schottenheimer, or Marvin Lewis, or Mike McCarthy who might have had some early success and mostly fiddly-farted their way through the last 2/3 of their careers - fans and pundits KNOWING that these guys weren't going to get any better or ever sniff a SB

My point is that both guys, and especially McDermott are putting in the hard work and effort to keep the stability that they've built the last 6 seasons while making the changes and enhancements that are needed to improve and keep giving us shots at a ring.  

Each and every frigging year

This is one of the dumbest posts ever. Please know so I dont get banned im not calling the poster dumb. Im just saying this post is stupid.  

You have no idea how hard any of those coaches worked. You have no idea how hard McDermott works. So if McD is already working harder than those listed why has he had less success than some of them. Marty made multiple AFC Championship games. Fisher made a SuperBowl.  

Did Andy Reid work les hard in Philadelphia than he does now? Did Belichick work less hard in Cleveland?

Ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I never really thought Pegula would have much of an appetite for a huge change in the organization, given what he’s going through.

Thats not a knock on him.  He’s an absolute blessing to this team/fanbase/region.  It’s just human nature.  He’s going through a lot, and I figured he’d probably double down on a good hire he made as HC and hope that the next step is for “good” to become “great”.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I have no idea why they extended them when they still had several years left (it serves no purpose) but there is no shortage of NFL coaches fired after getting an extension.

Ron Rivera, John Fox, Del Rio, Gus Bradley, Marvin Lewis, Jeff Fisher…. etc all fired within a year or two of receive an extension.

I agree with this. 

For sure but it shows as of right now the seat a lot cooler than some speculated. Doesn't mean they will definitely be here in 2027. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here is an article showing that there is no difference between either when it comes to record between 2015 and 2019. 

Here is my issue with this.  Belichick inflates the numbers somewhat.  And by design the league should be overall around .500 no matter who the HC is - an offensive guy or defensive guy.  

Since 2020.  Arians, McVay and Reid 2x have won SBs.   

The goal is winning SBs.  McD can absolutely win one.  He’s a great HC.  You just better be able to keep guys buying in if you go into year 8, 9, 10 without even an AFC title let alone a SB.  It’s almost unprecedented a guy coaching that long offensive or defensive guy stays on the job.  

BB and Pete Carrol are the only 2 defensive head coaches to win the SB since 2009.  

Worth noting - BB lost and was out coached by Doug Pederson and Tom Coughlin - was known as a disciplinarian guy - but his background was offense.   

The Seahawks - maybe they win another if someone gets on the head set and tells the OC this better go to Lynch.  

I’m also considering the Manning led Broncos v Panthers a SB an anomaly.   That Broncos team was ridiculous and Manning was the last piece it needed.  Worth noting it’s defensive HC looked like they had no plan for Cam as he was getting destroyed.  

The Super Bowl is the goal now every year and the data says offensive guys or the greatest QB of all time win.  

This is not a knock on McD it’s just reality.  He better get the OC position right.  A big year by the offense this season and Dorsey is good as gone.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

And, here it is

Someone needed to be the first lemming.

image.thumb.png.dbb178005fcf313cb905347556ddd04b.png

* Lemmings actually do not commit suicide.  There was actually a Disney wildlife film which faked this with many lemmings killed.  Partly why films state "No animals were injured or killed in making this film."

Edited by Limeaid
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Airseven said:

This season will be a huge piece to the answer to that question.  

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know, maybe, we’re in the middle of a month where we’re forced to celebrate the sexual identity of certain groups. 

You aren't being forced to celebrate anything.  It's simply being celebrated by those who support those certain groups.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.