The Concepting Behind The New Bills Stadium | Built For Buffalo Episode 1: The Vision ... 7pm 6/22

T&C

40 minutes ago, teef said:

Seriously?  Have you never read a new stadium thread?  This is choosing to be ignorant. 

But this wasn't one, why go out of your way to introduce it?  

Seems like a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.  Just sayin'.  

The saying Let Sleeping Dogs Lie comes to mind.  

I originally thought the design looked somewhat generic and just assumed Populus threw out a cookie cutter design proposal and Pegula just went with it.  I feel better to see that there were a lot of people especially from the Bills side including Terry that were deeply involved in the design process and were looking for specific features etc.  Hope our SB window stays open for at least 4 more years so we can bring a championship home in the new stadium.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, teef said:

Seriously?  Have you never read a new stadium thread?  This is choosing to be ignorant. 

BTW, I didn't think that there was all that much new in that video, certainly nothing earth-shattering, not all that much new besides some insights on their thought processes, but I didn't talk about it.  

I can if you'd feel more justified or vindicated.  ;) 

I kid I kid.  Relax 

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

But this wasn't one, why go out of your way to introduce it?  

Seems like a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.  Just sayin'.  

The saying Let Sleeping Dogs Lie comes to mind.  

Oh yeah.  I’m making the complaining happen. Not the man childs of this board, but me. There’s no self fulfilling prophecies on this board.  To imply that is pushing off blame. 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, teef said:

Oh yeah.  I’m making the complaining happen. Not the man childs of this board, but me. There’s no self fulfilling prophecies on this board.  To imply that is pushing off blame. 

I guess we all see and interpret what we want to see and interpret.  

All I'm saying is that even if it happened, complaining about the complaining seems to be doing the same thing while getting those people all worked up.  

Let it roll off of you then.  If it gets too heavy for you, abandon the thread.  Getting all worked up isn't worth all that, right.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

They won’t even say what the exact capacity is, and you think more pics are on the way? 

I don’t understand all the secrecy, considering all the PUBLIC money committed to the project. 

Agreed.

@SoCal Deek how uncommon is it for a team/organization to physically begin building a stadium before releasing more than 3 half-ass renderings?

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Lost said:

I originally thought the design looked somewhat generic and just assumed Populus threw out a cookie cutter design proposal and Pegula just went with it.  I feel better to see that there were a lot of people especially from the Bills side including Terry that were deeply involved in the design process and were looking for specific features etc.  Hope our SB window stays open for at least 4 more years so we can bring a championship home in the new stadium.  

Dude it's your ptsd about our window closing.  If we have 17 , we're SB contenders and he's not going anywhere anytime soon 

We do need at least 1 before the new stadium.  I think we get 2 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Lost said:

Sheeeet!!  I hope it happens before then.  I'd actually prefer it to happen in the current stadium given all of its history.  Another one in the opening season would alter the epitaphs of many a Bills fan.  :D  

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed.

@SoCal Deek how uncommon is it for a team/organization to physically begin building a stadium before releasing more than 3 half-ass renderings?

Maybe I missed something while watching it, or misinterpreted it, but it seemed as it they were talking about designing portions of it as they went along.  

Am I off?  

I enjoyed the video. Seeing Radecic  as a front man for Populous was interesting. Imagine the pride of a guy like him being so in on this project. Pretty cool.

Everyone has a rooting interest in getting this done right. I liked seeing Terry go to Tottenham to sit in the worst three seats and say they were great seats. Everything I saw spells success for us fans in the new stadium. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

I enjoyed the video. Seeing Radecic  as a front man for Populous was interesting. Imagine the pride of a guy like him being so in on this project. Pretty cool.

Everyone has a rooting interest in getting this done right. I liked seeing Terry go to Tottenham to sit in the worst three seats and say they were great seats. Everything I saw spells success for us fans in the new stadium. 

It's comforting and reassuring to see that Terry's taking this on realizing that his name is going to be attached to it.  

Not only the seating, but it should also enhance the TV coverage aspect as well.  So even for fans that don't attend it should improve.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Maybe I missed something while watching it, or misinterpreted it, but it seemed as it they were talking about designing portions of it as they went along.  

Am I off?  

You're not off.  These things happen often (at least for me).   I'm always the last to know what needs to be installed in a construction job when it is finished and then tell them we can't do it because they never included XYZ.  

Could also be why the cost of the stadium went up another 154m.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Agreed.

EXTREMELY rare. We create more than three renderings for even the smallest of projects. As I’ve explained many times, these are not traditional renderings. They’re nothing more than single cells of a continuous animation path. I have no idea why they’re showing so little. Beats me! 

• Like (+1) 1

Pleasantly surprised and pleased after watching that. I’ve had my doubts and grumblings about this thing from pretty much the start. I get I won’t be happy with everything, always have. But watching this has impressed me somewhat. Yes I’ll still wish some things were done differently. Don’t worry I’ll still complain about something. But I’m excited about it overall. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I guess we all see and interpret what we want to see and interpret.  

All I'm saying is that even if it happened, complaining about the complaining seems to be doing the same thing while getting those people all worked up.  

Let it roll off of you then.  If it gets too heavy for you, abandon the thread.  Getting all worked up isn't worth all that, right.  

This just sounds like you really love to complain.  Have at it champ   Anger!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I just got the chance to watch the video and I have to say that’s about as close a representation of how the architectural design process goes as I’ve ever seen. Tons of meetings. Lots of conversations with the client. Changes to the details after getting input, but all the while the architects are moving things along behind the scenes, back at their office. 

I also enjoyed the part where they visited other stadiums. That’s very realistic. I cannot tell you how many times a client would walk into a facility and ask me…”Can we have one just like this?”. Of course once design work gets started they always want to make changes but the initial thought remains.

Lastly, if you watch closely you’ll see many quick shots of the computer model (it’s black and white) spinning around on the computer screen. That’s the ‘model’ I’ve been referring to in so many of my posts. Views of that single model are then printed onto sheets (which you also see them flipping through), which ‘lay people’ still think of as blueprints. And, the color renderings we’ve all seen are nothing more than individual screen shots of that single model which the software puts a color filter and shadows on top of. We can take a screen shot of the model from literally anywhere inside or outside the building. Thousands of them, if we want to. 

Hope that helps.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 9

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Pleasantly surprised and pleased after watching that. I’ve had my doubts and grumblings about this thing from pretty much the start. I get I won’t be happy with everything, always have. But watching this has impressed me somewhat. Yes I’ll still wish some things were done differently. Don’t worry I’ll still complain about something. But I’m excited about it overall. 

This is how most people should approach the team in general. The board would be infinitely smarter and more readable 

30 minutes ago, arcane said:

This is how most people should approach the team in general. The board would be infinitely smarter and more readable 

As much as I’ve complained about everything I have always said that when the time comes I’d be excited about it. Even thought there’s things I think/thought they should have done differently, I have always said that it would be a massive upgrade and really cool. Always said I’d be excited to pick out my seats and be there for the opening game. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly....this should be a time of celebration,  not smart ass remarks trying way too hard to be funny. That Cincy loss really did irreparable damage to a huge percentage of fans. Way too much cynicism going around. 

Totally agree with your premise of "trying way to hard to be funny" , it gets old, predictable .. to a point where you know what essentially will be forthcoming .. and always is.., 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, mrags said:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Best part was a Kim sighting around the time of the visits to other stadiums. Really good to see that!

Didn’t they say those parts were around 2020-2021 when they were making those trips? Would have been before her health problems I think. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:02 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Yes it's wierd.   We're getting a beautiful new stadium to keep the team in WNY for decades.  The team posts a video with alot of insite to the building process and look of the stadium, and everyone makes sarcastic and negative comments.  Some people don't allow themselves to enjoy life.

It's crazy how people get online and become cancerous. We all know it and yet we've let it be a huge part of shaping our culture. And we wonder why we are in a mental crisis. 

• Agree 2

On 6/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Yes it's wierd.   We're getting a beautiful new stadium to keep the team in WNY for decades.  The team posts a video with alot of insite to the building process and look of the stadium, and everyone makes sarcastic and negative comments.  Some people don't allow themselves to enjoy life.

I think a lot of people didn’t take the time to actually watch the video.  It’s definitely a great video that shows what went into the design of the new stadium. I’m impressed with the entire project. The Pegulas really did focus on the fan experience and I think that will be the overriding legacy of the stadium.  I’ll be very excited to travel back to Buffalo and see it in person in a few years! 

• Like (+1) 2

I've seen the Bills play in Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, and Kansas City.  But the last time I was at a home game was in 1974 when OJ got hurt but the Bills still rallied to defeat the Raiders on MNF.

But I'm going to make it to Buffalo when the new stadium is built.  The video excited me.  I want to hear New Highmark rock and feel the energy!

• Like (+1) 4

One of the most interesting parts of the video was listening to them talk about the desire to always be able see the field from inside the concourse levels. Face it, once you’re in your seat most stadiums are pretty much the same. (The field is the same size everywhere in the NFL.) I was very impressed with the shots of the Tottenham concourse areas and it’s always been frustrating to me when you can’t see the field from those areas, no matter what new or old stadium I’m in. I’m really hoping the final design maintains that conceptual goal. One thing that is really going to change however is the steepness of the seating bowl. In order to get the above described concourse levels, the seating bowl is gonna be way, way steeper.

Edited by SoCal Deek

What is this a stadium FOR ANTS?

How can we be expected to win Super Bowls if the team can't even fit in the stadium!? :beer: 

Screenshot2023-06-26at10_39_42AM.thumb.png.e91ae7584c11c5d5aebce8b9b7e6fdee.png

Great video, I can't wait to sit in this beaut and cheer on the Bills!  Let's Go Buffalo!!

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

What is this a stadium FOR ANTS?

How can we be expected to win Super Bowls if the team can't even fit in the stadium!? :beer: 

Screenshot2023-06-26at10_39_42AM.thumb.png.e91ae7584c11c5d5aebce8b9b7e6fdee.png

Great video, I can't wait to sit in this beaut and cheer on the Bills!  Let's Go Buffalo!!

image.png.c6e1e483ff31c978c4908a22e6bd96f5.png

Really great to get a glimpse of a few more drawings and models in this video. I for one am very excited to see this come to life.

Totally fine with it being open air but I am still wondering why they chose to keep the canopy as small as it is. Tottenham covers almost all the seats. Can’t be much more to extend it a bit. 

Edit: Just went back and found this nugget from April when they announced the cost went up from 1.4 to 1.54B: 

'The additional costs will be covered by owners Kim and Terry Pegula. "Those added costs come from the commitment of Kim and Terry to build the best football stadium possible for the Bills and our fans. The increased coverage on the canopy, a lot more technology, the streetscaping and the landscaping around the stadium to create a 365-day destination," said Raccuia.'

So the original announcement and renderings released in Oct '22 said 65% canopy coverage, and I'd surmise the drawings and models we saw in this video were from design sessions back then. So I'm hoping this means maybe 75-80% coverage when all is said and done, which was not reflected in this video.

Edited by Jukester

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.