Bills promote Eric Washington to assistant head coach

elroy16

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Odd move. Usually this is done to protect them from leaving for a coordinator job somewhere else. I beleive the assistant HC title means Bills can block interviews for DC. He doesn't seem like a guy that would be on anyone's list for a DC job but who knows. 

I don't think that's right.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Basically if McD is unable to coach a game - Wash takes the headset as the HC for the game.  

this

maybe McD has some lingering health problem and this is a just-in-case move.

Maybe he learned during covid to always carry a spare

And its probably best for chain-of-command for there to be no in-fighting among players or other coaches, if and when its necesary to pull over and put the donut on.

---

because its less likely that they needed to do this to keep him from bolting to another team.  seems like the season for hiring assistant coaches has passed.   Not that i've studied it or anything

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Second in the NFL last year giving up 17.9 points/game despite being decimated by injuries (including in the playoffs). But you feel free to be you. 

Funny. They fired the defensive coordinator responsible for that unit.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You know that not to be true or accurate. 

It’s obviously more complicated than that. But I thought you would appreciate the Super Bowl or Bust mentality. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buckets said:

I don't get it, we went to the super bowl 4 times under Marve Leavy but I can't remember anyone calling for him to be fired or run out of town.

Marv should be glad his time was before the internet made so many people lose their minds. Lots of message board tough guys who don’t know as much as they think they know.  There are things we need to do better, but this tear it down and start over stuff is crazy right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MWK said:

Should be fired instead for the consistent underperformance and lack of development. This promotion just goes to show you what being friends with McDermott can do for you.

Dorsey (top Offensive guy):  Coached with McD in Carolina 

Washington (top Defensive guy after McD):  Coached under McD in Carolina 

Al Holcomb (Senior D Asst.):  Coached under McD in Carolina 

Mike Shula (Senior O Asst.):  Coached with McD in Carolina 

All the top coaches.  What are the odds that those were all the best choices to get their respective jobs done, particularly collectively.  LOL  

Strangely, our playoff results aren't much different.  Imagine that.  

No nepotism or anything going on here.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Second in the NFL last year giving up 17.9 points/game despite being decimated by injuries (including in the playoffs).   

What's interesting is that it went from 17.4 before Miller's injury, to 17.4 after Miller's injury, discounting the Detroit game.  

Strangely, that increased by 11 points in the playoffs while allowing 31 to a team that started a QB that will be incredibly lucky to ever start another NFL game.  

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Promoting a guy who's in charge of the unit with maybe the worst ROI in the entire league. Despite 4 top 60 picks, including a top 10, numerous high end FA signings, and a league high expenditure, DL continues to be a weakness of this team that needs constant addressing.

Washington should have been fired a long time ago. Working for McDermott seems like a pretty sweet gig. Once you're in, you're in - Except for that safeties coach I guess.

Come on, you're not playing this properly.  Clearly he was the best option out there.  McD's an expert, we're not, and we can't understand things like what you just said.  McD knows.  

At the end of the season if it doesn't work out, we'll find someone else that's clearly the best choice.  Who else haven't we plugged-n-played that coached with McD in Carolina?  Whomever that is, he's next in line as the best option.  

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The breeze is messing your hair up again, 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MWK said:

Should be fired instead for the consistent underperformance and lack of development. This promotion just goes to show you what being friends with McDermott can do for you.

Oh FFS, just stop.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

All the top coaches.  What are the odds that those were all the best choices to get their respective jobs done, particularly collectively.  LOL  

Dave Toub (Assistant Head Coach): Coached with Reid in Philly

Matt Nagy (Offensive Coordinator): Coached with Reid in Philly

Steve Spagnoulo (Defensive Coordinator): Coached with Reid in Philly

Its like you guys just make up trends that can plausibly lead less informed people to ridiculous conclusions like McDermott is big on nepotism and it is hurting the Bills 😂

Edit: Not to mention McDermott first hired Daboll and Frasier who as far as I recall never coached with him. You can't make this crap up.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's not nepotism.  He's not hiring friends.  He's hiring people he knows and trusts.  

Look around the NFL.  Most HCs hire people they've crossed paths with.  But they're not hiring guys to hang out and drink beer with.  Instead, they're hiring people who have impressed and think similarly.  

As a HC, you can hire a known commodity.  Or you can hire a guy with a good reputation who interviews well, hoping he'll work well with the rest of the staff.  

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I'm confused. Will someone just tell me who I'm supposed to be mad at?

@Einstein and @Einstein's Dog

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Its like you guys just make up trends that can plausibly lead less informed people to ridiculous conclusions like McDermott is big on nepotism and it is hurting the Bills 😂

Edit: Not to mention McDermott first hired Daboll and Frasier who as far as I recall never coached with him. You can't make this crap up.

Yes he can. Just stick your fingers in and do finger paint.  Don't forget to clean fingers with mouth.

footage-cow-dung-cakes-are-footage-22211

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Assistant Head Coach on the defensive side but no Defensive Coordinator?

I kind of thought the DC duties this year would be shared between McD and Al Holcomb who's been a DC before.  I would have guessed that McD would be the main person responsible for game-planning and play-calling with Holcomb running practices.  

But with Washington's new title, I'm wondering what the defensive coaching hierarchy is really like.    

20 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Seriously?  What, is this about rosters and coaching staffs?  

Reid's won Super Bowls and hasn't routinely collapsed in the playoffs.  

Conspiculously missing from your post is the results of those coaches.  

My point entirely is that this slew of coaching crap from Carolina, which hasn't proven a thing pretty much ever in its 27-year existence likely aren't the best options if McD really wants to get the most out of the roster that we have.  

Call me crazy.  

But comparing them to coaches that have, ... LOL ... really?  

1 hour ago, Buckets said:

I don't get it, we went to the super bowl 4 times under Marve Leavy but I can't remember anyone calling for him to be fired or run out of town.

It's a sad sign of the times, I guess.

and it's bloody annoying.

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's not nepotism.  He's not hiring friends.  He's hiring people he knows and trusts.  

Look around the NFL.  Most HCs hire people they've crossed paths with.  But they're not hiring guys to hang out and drink beer with.  Instead, they're hiring people who have impressed and think similarly.  

As a HC, you can hire a known commodity.  Or you can hire a guy with a good reputation who interviews well, hoping he'll work well with the rest of the staff.  

He trusted Frasier, Dorsey, and everyone else we've had.  

He should be focused on hiring people that have a reputation for getting the most from the players that they coach.  

Simple question to you, do you believe that those coaches that I listed are the best options for doing that?  

Frankly, I don't care if he hires his grandmother if she can get the job done.  I just question, based upon their credentials, whether or not they're capable of doing that.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Most coaches hire coaches that they are familiar with or worked with

It’s putting your job on the line to hire somebody that you don’t know how they actually work day to day

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most coaches hire coaches that they are familiar with or worked with

It’s putting your job on the line to hire somebody that you don’t know how they actually work day to day

You make a good point.

But it does substantially dwindle the talent pool when you primarily hire those you’ve already worked with. 

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Seriously?  What, is this about rosters and coaching staffs?  

Reid's won Super Bowls and hasn't routinely collapsed in the playoffs.  

Conspiculously missing from your post is the results of those coaches.  

My point entirely is that this slew of coaching crap from Carolina, which hasn't proven a thing pretty much ever in its 27-year existence likely aren't the best options if McD really wants to get the most out of the roster that we have.  

Call me crazy.  

But comparing them to coaches that have, ... LOL ... really?  

Lol. It always goes back to super bowls with you. Yeah thats the ultimate goal, but it can't possibly be the rationale that McDermott can't hire people he has coached with before because it is a detriment to the team bc "nepotism" but andy reid can because he just happened to coach with the "right" guys 😂

Also the Dorsey, McDermott, Washington, Holcomb, and Shula all coached with Carolina on the Panthers run to the Super Bowl so there's that. No, they didn't win the game so that cancels it allllll out for you.

Edit: We have already discussed that Andy Reid "collapsed" in the playoffs for nearly two decades prior to winning a super bowl.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PS 56 said:

More proof Leslie will not be coming back despite what was said....

Did you ever really think he would be back? People often say what is convenient in the moment. I can live with that. It’s not all black and white, truth or lie, either. Sometimes situations are evolving and all you can really say is what you are doing now. I don’t feel they owe it to me to share every little detail. 

Maybe that’s just me. 

My guess is McD said he was going to call the D, Leslie didn’t like that and had a decision to make. He might have hoped for a HC gig, but here we are. 

30 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Lol. It always goes back to super bowls with you. Yeah thats the ultimate goal, but it can't possibly be the rationale that McDermott can't hire people he has coached with before because it is a detriment to the team bc "nepotism" but andy reid can because he just happened to coach with the "right" guys 😂

Also the Dorsey, McDermott, Washington, Holcomb, and Shula all coached with Carolina on the Panthers run to the Super Bowl so there's that. No, they didn't win the game so that cancels it allllll out for you.

Edit: We have already discussed that Andy Reid "collapsed" in the playoffs for nearly two decades prior to winning a super bowl.

LOL  

One game, in a season whereby they collectively got their butts handed to them by an inferior team led by Gary Kubiak and one of the worst QBs in league history that season.  

That's exactly my point, they may look good on paper but when it comes to playing even to their averages in the biggest of games, much less above-average, not a one of 'em has any history with that besides one of underachievement.  

Call me nuts, but I don't see any significant future discussion of a "McDermott Coaching Tree" here.  LOL  

(Verse 1) Buffalo Bills, let me tell you a tale, Got Eric as their Assistant Head, they prevail. He brings the laughter, keeps the team light, But his strategies, they're dynamite.

(Chorus) Eric W, leading the way, Buffalo Bills, ready to play. With his humor and coaching skills, They're aiming for the Super Bowl thrills.

(Verse 2) From the field to the sidelines, he's got the touch, Bringing joy to the Bills, he means so much. He's got their back, guiding their stride, Buffalo Bills, with Eric, reach new highs.

(Chorus) Eric W, leading the way, Buffalo Bills, ready to play. With his humor and coaching skills, They're aiming for the Super Bowl thrills.

(Outro) So let's cheer for Buffalo, the team so strong, With Eric W, they can't go wrong. Together they'll conquer, with laughter and might, Buffalo Bills, shining in the NFL's spotlight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.