Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Glad they are going through this in June, Diggs probably was concerned about Dorsey and the offense and maybe some other smaller issues. Get this stuff sorted out now because this team needs to limit the controllable distractions as they saw last year there is already enough that can go wrong in a season that is out of your control.

What was controllable last year that they didn't control?

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm assuming I'm not wearing a shirt with this right look right?

Well, I don't think you'd be looking a "shirt" in that case, probably more of a top, one with spaghetti straps.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Unbelievable.  

If we don’t win he’s going to break everything on his way out.  

No pressure fellas.  

I mean what's McD supposed to say about a guy there was there in the morning before practice and then left without being at practice, apparently without him knowing what was going on?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Well now per his agent he wants to know why McD said he’s very concerned about him not being there……but he was there……then he left……then the Coach didn’t cover for him……because who the heck knows what happened today.  

Edited by Big Blitz

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I mean what's McD supposed to say about a guy there was there in the morning before practice and then left without being at practice, apparently without him knowing what was going on?

If you believe Diggs agent McD and Beane very much knew he wouldn’t be there and talked the day previous and in the morning. 

Odd situation all around. 

Just now, What a Tuel said:

I dont get the argument that Dorsey sucks. Its so crazy. Then again I feel like people also said Daboll sucked before he left. It just seems like people always think there is some unknown person thats better out there while we languish with Beane/McDermott/Dorsey. 

Oh yeah they did. I've been tempted to dig up comments on Daboll from game threads in 2021-2022. But you can just go read the game and post-game threads from the Jacksonville loss. 

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I dont get the argument that Dorsey sucks. Its so crazy. Then again I feel like people also said Daboll sucked before he left. It just seems like people always think there is some unknown person thats better out there while we languish with Beane/McDermott/Dorsey. 

If the #2 offense in points and yards is languishing, what are those other 30 teams doing?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think we are going to ever truly find out what it is, because Diggs doesn't like to share specifics with the media, and obviously the team won't either.

He'll be back and acting like nothing happened and it was no big deal, or none of our business when he is asked about it in interviews.

Exactly as it should be, as well.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly as it should be, as well.

Agreed it should’ve been kept internal I don’t think McDermott’s comments did any favors because it escalated from there. 

It’s starting to feel like this is a make or break season for this team and it’s only June

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think we are going to ever truly find out what it is, because Diggs doesn't like to share specifics with the media, and obviously the team won't either.

He'll be back and acting like nothing happened and it was no big deal, or none of our business when he is asked about it in interviews.

It’ll linger on now because every time he gets upset it’ll be newsworthy.

This one is going to be interesting. In the past he could say he just wants to win. But missing mandatory camp isn’t about winning.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They didn't let Daboll go lol.  

Technically correct. But there is an argument to be made that the Bills made the same mistake the Falcons did in retaining Quinn and letting Shanahan walk.

It would have been a major coup, and not sure how the franchise would have weathered it. But after 13 seconds, firing McD and promoting Daboll is an interesting discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

For some reason I just have a feeling that anything short of a Super Bowl appearance this season is going to bring things to a head with him, or the coaches or something. It won’t be good , Imagine getting bounced in another divisional round.. 

Give him a binky and tell him to relax. We are stuck with Diggs and we have to kowtow to him this year, but what an ass.

• Agree 1

Just now, CountDorkula said:

Agreed it should’ve been kept internal I don’t think McDermott’s comments did any favors because it escalated from there. 

It’s starting to feel like this is a make or break season for this team and it’s only June

Well it's definitely a make or break season for McD, and maybe he already let that stress slip through in today's presser...

30 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The communication within this team is reminiscent of the NY Knicks....which is putrid in it's own right. First, McDermott doesn't want to discuss the 13 seconds debacle. Then they won't explain the Leslie Frazier situation. Now this..

All true and this is why I have zero expectation we will ever know the real reason Diggs isn't at minicamp.

Edited by DCbillsfan

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

If you believe Diggs agent McD and Beane very much knew he wouldn’t be there and talked the day previous and in the morning. 

Odd situation all around. 

He could know that he wasn't going to be there but still be very concerned about the situation and that it hasn't been resolved going on 6 months after the fact. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Which sadly was the worst Bills game of the season. 

Yep. So that’s why Daboll sucking the 2nd half of 2021 didn’t matter. The last game was a masterpiece.

One thing we have to figure out though is why is Josh Allen and the offense struggling in the 2nd half of the season the last 2 years?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re only as good as your last game. 

Then the Bengals offense sucks. Joe Burrow, J'amar Chase and Tee Higgins got the ball with 2:00 left in a tie game and they punted. Everyone remembers the calls that went KC's way on their final drive, but they punted the ball back to Mahomes with 41 seconds left. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re only as good as your last game. 

Right. None of the other games before that game were indicative of anything. 

Dorsey sucks, Josh sucks, Diggs sucks, etc, etc., etc.. In fact the entire team sucks. Your logic is infallible. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yep. So that’s why Daboll sucking the 2nd half of 2021 didn’t matter. The last game was a masterpiece.

One thing we have to figure out though is why is Josh Allen and the offense struggling in the 2nd half of the season the last 2 years?

Defenses adjust, players get hurt, offense tries to change to be more of a running game because of weather changes etc. etc. Quite a few reasons play into it am sure. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Defenses adjust, players get hurt, offense tries to change to be more of a running game because of weather changes etc. etc. Quite a few reasons play into it am sure. 

Also, Josh completely abandoning underneath/check down throws and coaching being unable or unwilling to fix it.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Edit: I also don't know how the offense struggled in the 2nd half of 2021? We put up like 30 points a game after the Colts game.

Edited by What a Tuel

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well it's definitely a make or break season for McD, and maybe he already let that stress slip through in today's presser...

No it's not. The Billsiest thing would be for us to fire a coach that gets us to the playoffs yearly and averages 12 wins/season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Also, Josh completely abandoning underneath/check down throws and coaching being unable or unwilling to fix it.

True but that could but could be part of his elbow injury yet hard to know for sure. I hope he improves on that as to me small ball better than long ball as easier to be consistent that way IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Josh threw 12 ints the final 9-10 games of 2021 though. People forget that. Dorsey this and Dorsey that, Daboll was OC. It is looking like a Josh Allen issue.

I don't know for sure what's going on. But the fact that he showed up and then left, combined with Josh's words - I wonder if the following is what happened...

McDermott let sleeping dogs lie after the Playoff game. Gave him space and didn't talk to him about it during the Offseason. Then when Stefon arrived, McDermott started playing "Look at me, I'm the captain" with him. Telling him it was unacceptable, maybe even asking him to apologize publicly to the team... something of that nature. This reopened old wounds and made him say "F this, I'm going home".

Totally speculating, of course. But the fact that he showed up and then left says to me something happened after he arrived that ticked him off. And my guess is it was someone, most likely McDermott coming down on him.

McDermott then making it public could have been a further flex of power on him. He could have just said "Stef was here but he was excused for the day for a personal issue". But instead he chose to make it a spectacle. Stef's agent saying "I don't know why McDermott said that" leads me to believe it was McDermott further saying "my way or the highway".

Ultimately, a coach should have total control over his team. So in a sense, I understand it if this is what's going on. On the other, it's worrisome if McDermott is choosing to be heavy handed with a delicate situation when it could have just been swept under the rug for now.

Again, only speculating.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In all seriousness, don't forget the crazy awesome 2-point conversion he caught to put the Bills up 32-29 against KC. It's not on the stat sheet, but it was a money play with an extremely high level of difficulty.

Ironically, that catch could have lost the game for us. 

if Bills are up by one point instead of 3, they would have played a tighter defense. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Edit: I also don't know how the offense struggled in the 2nd half of 2021? We put up like 30 points a game after the Colts game.

We put up points last year also. Putting up points is easy for a Josh Allen offense. It’s just a matter of how pretty it looks. He can do it pretty or ugly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.