Lamar and the Ravens reach a deal

Draconator

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You guys are talking about 2 different Raven offers.  The fully guaranteed was 3 years.  He had an offer right after Josh signed that he 

turned down too.

So, he’s giving up bad decisions for a while? 

I’m happy for him, and I’m glad it worked out, but it was hardly a stroke of genius. He was always going to get a LOT of money. But it’s not fully guaranteed. The Browns are singularly stupid with long term/fully guaranteed. In the current market you have to chose one, as I hope it will always remain. 

Just now, Augie said:

So, he’s giving up bad decisions for a while? 

I’m happy for him, and I’m glad it worked out, but it was hardly a stroke of genius. He was always going to get a LOT of money. But it’s not fully guaranteed. The Browns are singularly stupid with long term/fully guaranteed. In the current market you have to chose one, as I hope it will always remain. 

Agree with everything.  Ravens had to do the longer term.  They will have an out in 3 years or so I bet.  Lamar is a good QB, but he does have

to show he can stay healthy and win in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he could which you have no idea if he could, he should risk a career ending injury for a team that won’t pay him? That would be your advice to a family member in his situation? This isn’t the 50s anymore. This is life changing money. 

You are Lamar's biggest fan on this board.  I think you must be his wannabe agent.  What is your cut of his signing bonus?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well after dozens of geniuses here calling him a moron for months I am excited to see the numbers!

“Highest paid player of all time”…

Bet it’s not going to make up the money he lost by not being under contract for the last 2 years like Allen. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The team was willing to pay him. Theyve always been willing to pay him a HUGE deal, top of the league. It was only structure and guarantees they didnt agree to.

If I was Lamar's family member, and so concerned over his wealth vs health, I wouldve told him to sign the offer back in 2021. So he could be sitting on over $50M AND play in that playoff game last year.

yup 

for perspective, through first 8 years of their play

hurts will earn 260M roughly, be entering free agency on a second prime contract and have reduced his risk substantially 

Lamar will be about $200m in, have had huge risk the last 2 years, and not have a 3rd contract in the pipeline yet (possibly ever)

but Lamar can say he got the biggest contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well after dozens of geniuses here calling him a moron for months I am excited to see the numbers!

“Highest paid player of all time”…

Seeing as we already have our guy locked up, I really hope they give a declining Lamar ALL the guaranteed money.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he could which you have no idea if he could, he should risk a career ending injury for a team that won’t pay him? That would be your advice to a family member in his situation? This isn’t the 50s anymore. This is life changing money. 

Yes it would be.  Players go their whole careers without a playoff appearance.  It was a very ME decision.  I don't like it and I don't have to.  Like I said, I wouldn't have paid him.  Sounds like you would.  🤷

3 hours ago, Beach said:

what am i missing? he is good but not this good, right?  is it just me?

It’s not just you. This is the 2nd worst contract in the history of the NFL. He and OBJ Ravens really seem desperate with this Lamar deal. I thought they were smarter than that. Since he lost 30m the past few years this gets him about even. Well done mom. I stand corrected. I didn’t think the Ravens were this foolish. Only problem for Lamar is he is very very unlikely to meet the expectations of this contract. Interested to see how he handles the pressure. But today it’s a big W for him and his mom. I concede that Lamar won today 🍻 

23 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Math is hard, as is the time value of money concept apparently.  Congrats on your new contract Lamar, idiot.

I’m familiar with the concept and the argument. Still can’t fault him for fighting for more (on paper) and trusting himself.

Or maybe he just have accepted the first thing they offered him. Guess he’s not a billionaire bootlicker like you. 🤡 

Edited by JoPoy88

58 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Bet it’s not going to make up the money he lost by not being under contract for the last 2 years like Allen. 

I think that’s what’s I’m interested in. I don’t know if finishes the contract. No we aren’t idiots I agree we just didn’t think the Ravens were this dumb!! This is a terrible deal for the Ravens… 

3 hours ago, colin said:

i think getting rid of greg roman is gonna prove to be a big mistake for the team.  I could see jackson getting some stats w obj there, but i think they will not be as good of an o without greg to run it.

Great point. Despite the Lamar camp complaining about WR.. WR don’t want to go there. Except OBJ who got 15m when no other team offered over 5. Now under a true NFL offense I would be concerned about him finding it a fit. 

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

someone like hurts will have 2 more years of elite pay in their career. Less risk. Heck, quicker to a 3rd contract at whatever that pay scale ends up which isn’t a given for Lamar now. 

I’m sure he was aware or made aware of the trade off. He wasn’t going to take something below his self-perceived value. That doesn’t make him a moron. And none of you are as smart or savvy as you think you are.

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m sure he was aware or made aware of the trade off. He wasn’t going to take something below his self-perceived value. That doesn’t make him a moron. And none of you are as smart or savvy as you think you are.

the trade off of making less overall money and taking bigger risks so he can claim  the largest deal until burrow signs for more?

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Absolutely. He’s the highest paid player in the league by AAV, has the 2nd highest total dollar contract (only Mahomes’ 10 year deal totals more) and has the 2nd most guaranteed dollars. Yeah, seems like the Ravens caved. 

If your argument against that is that he didn’t get 100% guaranteed, then you should learn about how negotiations work. 

I didn't think he would get a fully guaranteed contract. In fact I've criticized him for it. Not sure why you're coming at me with what you said

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the trade off of making less overall money and taking bigger risks so he can claim  the largest deal until burrow signs for more?

That’s that’s assuming it was 100% about money for Lamar and yes, part of it was especially in trying to secure as much guaranteed as possible. But there was a pride aspect to it too given how much he mattered to that team (and the city.) He simply did not think their offer last year matched his value. He took a major risk waiting, actually did get hurt, and still got the most money ever (until Burrow, yes. And probably Herbert too.)

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He was so stupid for being his own agent.  *****in' idiot.  Settling for $52M/year.

If you can get off of your high horse for a minute, this is the moment where the result makes what historically was a poor choice a good choice. Based on those $, I have a feeling you’re missing something 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you can get off of your high horse for a minute, this is the moment where the result makes what historically was a poor choice a good choice. Based on those $, I have a feeling you’re missing something 

That he made a bad choice that lost money but worked out fine anyway cause giving up a few bucks isn’t the end of the world when you have 250m?

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are Lamar's biggest fan on this board.  I think you must be his wannabe agent.  What is your cut of his signing bonus?

I would accept that!

and I’m big fan of the guy because despite being really, really good, he somehow still gets trashed. Next to Allen, he’s the qb I want to win a SB because he gets so much for hate for a good player. It’s pretty stupid. 

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

Yes it would be.  Players go their whole careers without a playoff appearance.  It was a very ME decision.  I don't like it and I don't have to.  Like I said, I wouldn't have paid him.  Sounds like you would.  🤷

Yeah, I like MVPs and qbs who win a lot of games. But I’m weird like that 

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and I’m big fan of the guy because despite being really, really good, he somehow still gets trashed. Next to Allen, he’s the qb I want to win a SB because he gets so much for hate for a good player. It’s pretty stupid. 

So ironic coming from you, as up until recently, you trashed Allen constantly.  It’s pretty stupid right!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.