Lamar and the Ravens reach a deal

Draconator

Just now, aristocrat said:

It’s not a fully guaranteed deal. He’s the highest paid as expected but it’s not fully guaranteed 

The Ravens didn’t cave all the way to a fully guaranteed deal, but they caved. No one seems to think of the possibility that Lamar was just playing hardball. Negotiators generally ask for more than they expect to get. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, FLFan said:

That seems like a big price for a player that no team seemed interested in making a big offer on when he was available.  The Ravens were really in a tough spot, but I think they will come to regret this. Good for Lamar.  

Not interested in negotiating for the Ravens.   I’m sure there were multiple teams interested if they thought the Ravens wouldn’t match.

• Agree 1

Just now, purple haze said:

Yeah, it is.  But if he stays healthy he will help them win.  That’s what it’s about.  

I’d argue it makes them worse. That’s a lot of money going to a single player who’s not gonna be an all pro. He’s got a slightly higher cap hit than Diggs and he’s not currently in the same league as Diggs as a WR. 

The opportunity cost of OBJ is significant, and Beane probably took one look at that market and said hell no.

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

If Allen puts up MVP type seasons this year and next, he’s gonna be needing a new contract in after the 24/25 season. Just no way he’s gonna be happy as the 10th best paid QB. 

I hope to have that problem.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

It's how the NFL works. 

That’s how life works. He’s the best at what he does on the planet. When you’re the very very best at what you do in your field, then you demand top dollar for your services.

whether it be engineering, football or nannying. 

• Vomit 2

Just now, appoo said:

I’d argue it makes them worse. That’s a lot of money going to a single player who’s not gonna be an all pro. He’s got a slightly higher cap hit than Diggs and he’s not currently in the same league as Diggs as a WR. 

The opportunity cost of OBJ is significant, and Beane probably took one look at that market and said hell no.

I think you undersell a healthy OBJ.   And like I said, some teams are willing to take chances to win.   They needed WR help badly.  And they needed to show Lamar they were willing to help him.  We’ll see how it works out.

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

It’s a one year deal. 

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

That’s how life works. He’s the best at what he does on the planet. When you’re the very very best at what you do in your field, then you demand top dollar for your services.

whether it be engineering, football or nannying. 

I don’t think you have to be the best nanny but the hottest. 

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Ravens didn’t cave all the way to a fully guaranteed deal, but they caved. No one seems to think of the possibility that Lamar was just playing hardball. Negotiators generally ask for more than they expect to get. 

The Ravens caved? Lamar was the one that wanted a fully guaranteed deal. It sounds like Lamar caved

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Ravens caved? Lamar was the one that wanted a fully guaranteed deal. It sounds like Lamar caved

Absolutely. He’s the highest paid player in the league by AAV, has the 2nd highest total dollar contract (only Mahomes’ 10 year deal totals more) and has the 2nd most guaranteed dollars. Yeah, seems like the Ravens caved. 

If your argument against that is that he didn’t get 100% guaranteed, then you should learn about how negotiations work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.