The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

FIX  the O-line....give josh time to find diggs

josh looks at diggs, he's doubled, josh starts his progressions, before he completes them hes under duress, josh never has time to come back to diggs

even doubled, diggs will get open.....he's unguardable......there in lies his frustrations

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously...this is the dumbest story line of the offseason.

I mean all this ridiculous loathing and forcing a negative angle here when you don't actually know anything is pointless.  Just like all the posts about how Diggs is going to get traded that were not only absurd but mathematically impossible...yet that didn't stop all these posters and social media constantly pushing that fake narrative either.  

Here is an idea...how about you just move on until something real actually comes out from say Diggs or Allen that proves they are on the outs and there is an issue?  You guys aren't internet sleuths, so stop trying to decode this like it's a Dan Brown novel with hidden clues to a rift. 

Or maybe take the actual real things that have been said by Diggs and Allen more seriously...like where Diggs said Allen saved his career and saved his life during this past season.  Or when Diggs said during the Thanksgiving game Josh will never know how much he loves him.  Or when Allen literally just said Diggs is one of his favorite people on the entire planet.  

Better yet...go outside and enjoy the real world 

Funny response.  There was obvious friction between Diggs and Allen just a few months ago.  I started this thread with my worry that the tension may continue into this season.  I don't think it's an unreasonable concern, but others do.  Okay.

But somehow folks who disagree think they need to make assumptions about my personal life.   I actually enjoy my life quite a bit - thanks - and spend a good chunk of it outside hiking and trail-running with my husky in the mountains and forests of Northern California.  

I hope the Bills roll through the AFC, the grievances between Josh and Diggs are long forgiven & forgotten, and everything is kumbaya.  And then someone will remember this thread and gloat and insult me for being wrong.  But I'll just smile because I want to be wrong.  I want kumbaya.  

Sometimes smoke indicates fire.  Other times smoke is just smoke.  But, because I'm a hardcore Bills fan, the Diggs-Allen relationship is something I'll be paying attention to this season.  If you don't think it's worth watching, don't.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Funny response.  There was obvious friction between Diggs and Allen just a few months ago.  I started this thread with my worry that the tension may continue into this season.  I don't think it's an unreasonable concern, but others do.  Okay.

But somehow folks who disagree think they need to make assumptions about my personal life.   I actually enjoy my life quite a bit - thanks - and spend a good chunk of it outside hiking and trail-running with my husky in the mountains and forests of Northern California.  

I hope the Bills roll through the AFC, the grievances between Josh and Diggs are long forgiven & forgotten, and everything is kumbaya.  And then someone will remember this thread and gloat and insult me for being wrong.  But I'll just smile because I want to be wrong.  I want kumbaya.  

Sometimes smoke indicates fire.  Other times smoke is just smoke.  But, because I'm a hardcore Bills fan, the Diggs-Allen relationship is something I'll be paying attention to this season.  If you don't think it's worth watching, don't.  

My comments were not really directed at you...its more directed at a few people who are in this thread and many other threads taking every negative angle on even topic they can.  So apologize if it came across to others with normal concerns, I should have been more specific in who I was speaking too.

But, going back to your OP...no offense but it comes off as very much trying to over analyze every word being said by Josh as if there is all these hidden messages in it to enforce your concern there could be a rift.  I actually watched the whole Allen interview live, and nothing he said remotely felt like it was scripted, coaches speak, covering something else up, etc.  He was all smiles and in great mood and space.

I don't blame anyone for their initial concerns, its more about the ones still trying to force this narrative to still be in place.  But nothing has happened, he didn't get traded, he didn't ask for a trade, Diggs has never said anything negative about Josh, and Josh has never said anything negative about Diggs.  There is honestly not even any evidence proving there was even any initial rift, let alone an on going one.  

GoBills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My comments were not really directed at you...its more directed at a few people who are in this thread and many other threads taking every negative angle on even topic they can.  So apologize if it came across to others with normal concerns, I should have been more specific in who I was speaking too.

But, going back to your OP...no offense but it comes off as very much trying to over analyze every word being said by Josh as if there is all these hidden messages in it to enforce your concern there could be a rift.  I actually watched the whole Allen interview live, and nothing he said remotely felt like it was scripted, coaches speak, covering something else up, etc.  He was all smiles and in great mood and space.

I don't blame anyone for their initial concerns, its more about the ones still trying to force this narrative to still be in place.  But nothing has happened, he didn't get traded, he didn't ask for a trade, Diggs has never said anything negative about Josh, and Josh has never said anything negative about Diggs.  There is honestly not even any evidence proving there was even any initial rift, let alone an on going one.  

GoBills!

AD, I didn't watch Josh's interview.  I really hope you're right and Josh is truly in a good place with Diggs and not talking happy-talk, either for the media's sake or because he's trying to mend fences with a disgruntled partner.  

I'm not going to belabor my worries.  There's no point in trying to convince anyone else to worry.   But the Diggs-Allen relationship is something I will personally monitor.  

As I mentioned previously, decades of fandom have made me a bit cynical.  Small warning signs I blew off have often become large real-world problems.  My homer hopes for progress were often followed by Sundays of painful regression.  I take the little warning signs seriously now.  As cynics often say, if you expect the worse, you're less disappointed when and if it happens.    

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

AD, I didn't watch Josh's interview.  I really hope you're right and Josh is truly in a good place with Diggs and not talking happy-talk, either for the media's sake or because he's trying to mend fences with a disgruntled partner.  

I'm not going to belabor my worries.  There's no point in trying to convince anyone else to worry.   But the Diggs-Allen relationship is something I will personally monitor.  

As I mentioned previously, decades of fandom have made me a bit cynical.  Small warning signs I blew off have often become large real-world problems.  My homer hopes for progress were often followed by Sundays of painful regression.  I take the little warning signs seriously now.  As cynics often say, if you expect the worse, you're less disappointed when and if it happens.    

All fair points bud :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

All I know is Diggs would be gone wayyyyyyy before Allen if push came to shove 

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

A lot of TBD bills fans are real drama queens in search of a "story".

Meanwhile some of us are getting annoyed with a "great" team that has achieved considerably less than the "great" teams we remember from our childhood. I remember attending 3 AFC championship games and winning all three, for example. This team has made one and got blown out. I remember being told all we needed was home field then they got their balls handed to them in a snowstorm this year. Call me unconvinced about the "greatness" of this group.

• Eyeroll 2

My concern isn't Josh. He said what he said and I believe him. My concern is Diggs. He has done nothing over the post season to quash any concerns over his relationship with either the Bills or Josh and, indeed, went out of his way to present things very carefully in interviews held after the Bengals game to express his annoyance, even to the near point of questioning play calls and execution - the latter being at least partially on Josh.

So there was tension, at least from Diggs towards Josh. I believe GunnerBill that Josh may have, to an extent, snapped leading to some reciprocation. I also agree with those that say these things happen between friends who are exceptionally close and Josh has moved on and is over it. Until Diggs comes out with a similar interview I'll continue having doubts as far as he is concerned.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

Diggs is a master craftsman although he might have the emotional makeup of a child. But my concern is Josh. The reason he didn't go #1 overall in his draft year was the competition he faced and his accuracy @ 57%. So far in his career in the AFC East, the competition has been mediocre, although it's getting better. Josh's accuracy has gotten better but we still see him miss wide open guys, guys who only need to be led for a long bomb, only for him to thread the needle along the sideline and in the endzone. I'm not sure at age 27 that he will be able to improve on his on-field vision and accuracy. . His running ability has masked his wide open misses. But now both Josh and the Bills have publicly stated that running is not the way unless they want injuries. If they upgrade the OL and receivers, I think this year, barring injuries, should tell the tale. 

I guess having a passionate desire to win is childish? What a joke

oh by the way…it was Diggs who got the team huddled up after Hamlin went down

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, That's No Moon said:

All I know is Diggs would be gone wayyyyyyy before Allen if push came to shove 

Meanwhile some of us are getting annoyed with a "great" team that has achieved considerably less than the "great" teams we remember from our childhood. I remember attending 3 AFC championship games and winning all three, for example. This team has made one and got blown out. I remember being told all we needed was home field then they got their balls handed to them in a snowstorm this year. Call me unconvinced about the "greatness" of this group.

Wow, maybe try to do some yoga.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, That's No Moon said:

Huh.  If you remember attending and winning 3 AFC championship games, do you remember that Kelly's 1st 3 years with the Bills were 4-12, then 7-8, then 12-4 with high expectations and LOST the AFC championship, then 9-7 on a team that had been expected to contend for the AFC Championship again but LOST in the divisional round?

So basically you're upset with a year in which we lost in the divisional round again, but this time after a 13-3 season where we lost our defensive star at Thanksgiving?

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Huh.  If you remember attending and winning 3 AFC championship games, do you remember that Kelly's 1st 3 years with the Bills were 4-12, then 7-8, then 12-4 with high expectations and LOST the AFC championship, then 9-7 on a team that had been expected to contend for the AFC Championship again but LOST in the divisional round?

So basically you're upset with a year in which we lost in the divisional round again, but this time after a 13-3 season where we lost our defensive star at Thanksgiving?

Honorable attempt at facts but I dont think "thats no moon" is emotionally amble enough to accept reality.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Honorable attempt at facts but I dont think "thats no moon" is emotionally amble enough to accept reality.

What's reality? I'm just curious?

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Well, I'm not sure why we are tracking Kelly specifically rather than the team? Is it because we are then tracking Allen alongside that?

I remember a couple other teams we played alongside during that time that always crashed out and couldn't get past us to get over the hump. Ironically Kansas City comes to mind. Lots of wins every year, lost every year and couldn't get there. Were they great?

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What if the fact is that they had their shot two years ago and blew it?

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, Big Blitz said:

I would argue it’s probably more accurate to say these guys were never “besties” or whatever.  

Just 2 guys having a blast winning games and making millions and becoming household names. 

I put the odds at around 90% at some point this exchange happened likely at some point during or after the Minnesota Meltdown:

Diggs:  “You’re elite because I showed up.”

Allen:  “You’re elite because of me.”  

Diggs:  “Stop throwing to our trash WR 3 and Singletary who has no YAC.”

Allen:  “I can’t throw to you every play.”

Diggs:  “Yes you can.”

I couldn’t care less.  Diggs sees the end of his peak years coming and that’s what he cares about - winning a SB while he can.  Allen has hopefully 15 years left in the league.  

We’re having this discussion bc WRs are divas.  Period.  Unless something happened off the field which I highly highly doubt.  

AJ Brown was complaining during the playoffs about getting the ball.  It just comes with the territory.  

With Josh and Diggs, they both made the other better.  Whether Stephon gets a Super Bowl ring remains to seen.  But , I believe if they continue to play together for a significant number of years, Stephon has an excellent shot at being a Hall of Famer.  He will have the numbers.  That was never a possibility until he teamed up with JA17.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, billsfan89 said:

I don’t like Diggs antics but he is at least coming from the right place. As far as Diggs and Josh? I wouldn’t worry about it.

I was worried in April.  I'm more worried now that Diggs didn't report.  

Hopefully, it'll all be good by the time we play the Jets.  

On 4/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

It's just the kind of thing we like to worry about, when there's pretty much no evidence. 

What we know is that Diggs is prickly.  More so than he ought to be, as far as I'm concerned, but that's how he is.   His commitment to winning is A-1, and I think his willingness to respond to McDermott's leadership will win the day.  But there's no way to know how any of this will go until it plays out.  Maybe Diggs starts to get more out of line, maybe not.  All we can do is wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's just the kind of thing we like to worry about, when there's pretty much no evidence. 

What we know is that Diggs is prickly.  More so than he ought to be, as far as I'm concerned, but that's how he is.   His commitment to winning is A-1, and I think his willingness to respond to McDermott's leadership will win the day.  But there's no way to know how any of this will go until it plays out.  Maybe Diggs starts to get more out of line, maybe not.  All we can do is wait and see. 

Maybe no damning, conclusive evidence.  But some suggestive stuff:  The blow-up at the end of last season...  some of the odd commentary from Josh...  the lack of any news of them hanging out during the offseason...  Diggs' absence at the start of minicamp...  

These guys were best friends - joined at the hip - but, since Diggs' outburst, there's been no public evidence of that friendship.  Players don't need to be great friends but there does need to be some rapport. 

As a long-suffering Bills fan who's endured 4 SB losses, the Home Run Throwback, 13 seconds, and a host of other disappointments, I tend to assume the worst even as I continue to hope for the best.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So your "mature" reaction is to curse a man? Got it 

Yep. Don't you have another thread to start about your obsession with Dhop to concern yourself with? Posting a response to me seems like it's wasting valuable time you could be spending denying reality. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Smoke...fire

More reason we need Dhop. This team without Diggs is in trouble. Maybe its less about Allen and more about the front office not helping him out at WR. This team still has no one that can take pressure off Diggs just a handful of role guys. 

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Smoke...fire

More reason we need Dhop. This team without Diggs is in trouble. Maybe its less about Allen and more about the front office not helping him out at WR. This team still has no one that can take pressure off Diggs just a handful of role guys. 

They drafted the best receiving TE in the draft.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe no damning, conclusive evidence.  But some suggestive stuff:  The blow-up at the end of last season...  some of the odd commentary from Josh...  the lack of any news of them hanging out during the offseason...  Diggs' absence at the start of minicamp...  

These guys were best friends - joined at the hip - but, since Diggs' outburst, there's been no public evidence of that friendship.  Players don't need to be great friends but there does need to be some rapport. 

As a long-suffering Bills fan who's endured 4 SB losses, the Home Run Throwback, 13 seconds, and a host of other disappointments, I tend to assume the worst even as I continue to hope for the best.  

Pretty thin evidence.

Until the no show today.  That's real evidence. 

FWIW, in another thread, @HappyDays says this:

This is correct. More specifically, the blow up was Diggs saying to Josh "what's your excuse now?" (I have actually heard the audio, it was picked up by whoever was wearing the mic'd up microphone for that game) because Josh missed a throw in the game that he had also missed in practice. Their relationship has frayed.

www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/247932-diggs-not-at-mandatory-minicamp-mcdermott-very-concerned/page/29/

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1