Jeff Okudah traded to Atlanta for a 5th

NewEra

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/lions-trade-jeff-okudah-to-falcons-for-a-fifth-round-draft-pick/amp/

interesting.  Dude is toast huh?  

Lions drafting Witherspoon or Gonzalez?  Or wait til round 2 where there will be some solid options

100% I think they take one of those guys unless Anderson or Carter are there. 

What happened to him? I thought he was going to be an absolute stud. Did he lose a step because of his injury? 

Edit: I now see that he's missed 25 out of a possible 50 games in his three-year career. Maybe they just felt the availability issue outweighed whatever upside he had. They also had to make a decision on the fifth year by May 1.

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/lions-trade-jeff-okudah-to-falcons-for-a-fifth-round-draft-pick/amp/

interesting.  Dude is toast huh?  

Lions drafting Witherspoon or Gonzalez?  Or wait til round 2 where there will be some solid options

The Lions needed a CB even before the trade.  I expect them to draft at least two in a deep CB class.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, The Jokeman said:

They all can't be Sauce Gardner's but then again let's see what Sauce does after his rookie season. 

I edited my post above. He's missed 25 out of 50 games and they had to decide on the fifth year option by May 1. He's starting-caliber, though, and since CBs are hard to come by ... I dunno.  

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They all can't be Sauce Gardner's but then again let's see what Sauce does after his rookie season. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the golden child of his rookie class (Sauce) start racking up illegal contact penalties this year now the league has gotten their year of novelty out of him.  It's going to be glorious when the diva in New York City's media goes apecrap publicly over all the penalties.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

I really thought he was a slam dunk coming out. He might be as wrong as I have ever been about a player I was absolutely certain would hit. I had a huge grade on him. If he was in this class my grade on him would have him clear as the best player in the class. 

Think it all but locks in corner for the Lions at #6.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

seems like Det has been drafting a corner top 5 every other year my whole adult life

I think you might be confusing it with wide receiver.... which they did draft in the top 10 four times in five years in the 00s. Okudah is the only round 1 corner (let alone top 5) in the last 20 odd years. I can only find two second round corners too. That must be one of, if not the, lowest investment in corner in the NFL in that period draft wise. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I really thought he was a slam dunk coming out. He might be as wrong as I have ever been about a player I was absolutely certain would hit. I had a huge grade on him. If he was in this class my grade on him would have him clear as the best player in the class. 

Don't get too down on yourself - he got hurt with a major injury and has missed 25 out of 50 games. You can't predict that. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Looks like the lock of the draft is Witherspoon going to Detroit now…Big Ten DB playing in Detroit replacing another Big Ten DB playing in Detroit…and dude is a legit baller…Okudah never really did much at Ohio State other than have the next great OSU DB pedigree but watched him get smoked by Clemson and just didn’t see it. 

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They did sign Moseley, Sutton, and Gardner-Johnson fwiw.  

22 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oliver should be worth a 3rd or 4th....

Who is giving up a 3rd or 4th for a $10 million DT who isn’t a run stuffer, has 2.5 sacks, and is in the last year of his contract?

and this dude must be cooked because Detroit needs all the D 😉, they can get. Still like buying low on a top 5 pick for Atlanta. Low risk, high reward and you could move him to S if his speed doesn’t come back.

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They did sign Moseley, Sutton, and Gardner-Johnson fwiw.  

Yea Moseley isn't a guy you want as your #1 outside, Sutton is best as a nickel and G-J is a safety. The only way they don't go corner is if they go Jalen Carter.

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. Stud prospect with no injury concerns coming out. Sometimes a GM does everything right and still rolls snake eyes. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

guy played great when he wasnt injured.   best ability,  is availability.  Lions have had enough apparently.   doesnt mean he cant still be a good player,  if he stays healthy.

23 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the golden child of his rookie class (Sauce) start racking up illegal contact penalties this year now the league has gotten their year of novelty out of him.  It's going to be glorious when the diva in New York City's media goes apecrap publicly over all the penalties.

was thinking the same thing.  ive never seen a rookie CB get less calls while being blatantly obvious.  almost felt like he paid all the refs off.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Moseley isn't a guy you want as your #1 outside, Sutton is best as a nickel and G-J is a safety. The only way they don't go corner is if they go Jalen Carter.

That makes sense - having a former corner as a coordinator does also seem like something they would want to improve at.  

Depends how they fall, if someone wants to jump LV or Atlanta they're in a great spot to trade down.  Tampa or Washington come to mind.  They can also possibly sit there and get the top scouted corner in the draft.  On the other hand... the top scouted corner in the draft is the reason for this thread.  

Detroit is going to be so fun to watch. Learning how to win those close games last season and following their enthusiastic head coach, momentum is moving in the right direction. I have a friend down here who was a bit slow to renew his season tickets and lost out on the first and second levels of seating. 

Seeing the Gm make a move to recoup some assets now is another positive sign of a better run organization. 2 first round draft picks, I think it’s great to see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.