Spencer Brown

newcam2012

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd keep him at tackle, let a vet - even Ques - genuinely compete at RT in camp. Start the best guy. If this time next year the jury is still out they need to draft a guy (not that I am not open to drafting a guy this year depending on how things fall). 

Interesting…what do you expect “Ques” to do in camp whilst he is “genuinely  competing “  that he couldn’t show the coaches in 2022?

They need to be actively seeking a better option THIS offseason  … not just rolling the dice that Brown comes good or even less likely that Ques is the answer…

The biggest priority on this team this offseason has to be improve the OL…Give Allen a bit more time and protection …this could go a long way to fixing the other problems on the offense that emerged in the second half of last season..

Improving the OL to me means that Bates is the 5th best OL on the team and Brown should be the swing tackle if he plays like last season…

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

Not saying that Spencer Brown is not a good athlete at 311 but wasn't this the year that the combine was canceled and therefore all these numbers were essentially self-reported.   As I remember, there were a lot of amazing RAS numbers that year.

The combine was canceled that year. I believe those were his pro day numbers, not sure about self reported. I thought they had actual pro days. 

However, with so many guys opting out, or in Brown’s case having his season cancelled, people were able to spend way more time than normal preparing for the workout. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

For anyone who never had a serious back injury or back surgery, it is no joke.  To return from surgery in a short period of time and compete as a starter in the NFL, is a significant accomplishment.  We rightfully focus on the times he was beaten but we should not completely disregard the times he absolutely destroyed a defender.  There just weren't enough of those plays.

I have thought that quickly getting away from the running game put the o-line at a huge disadvantage in several games.  This made Brown and others look worse than they actually were.  Allen's propensity to hold the ball too long also skews the data.

As many have said over the last few weeks, getting help on the o-line, improving the receiver room, better play calling, and a commitment to running the ball will all work together to create improved offensive performance.  Brown wasn't great but swapping him out isn't the silver bullet that some believe it to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he ends up in the first round (although I noted DJ had him there) because he is a RT only. 

I feel like I have been here before - Jawaan Taylor, Teven Jenkins... guys who NFL teams see as right tackles only do not go day 1. 

Normally I would agree with you my friend. But it’s a weak class overall, and especially at tackle. Paris Johnson will go ahead of him. Skoronski will too tho he may wind up at Guard eventually in his career. Then Anton Harrison, Broderick Jones or Jaelyn Duncan could be first rounders too. In the last 5 years, there has been an average of more than 4 OTs taken in the first round. I think this is the year someone as polished as him can make it towards the backend of round one ahead of Duncan and Harrison even tho he will only be a RT. Combine should shed some more light on who has the chance at going in the first as well.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The combine was canceled that year. I believe those were his pro day numbers, not sure about self reported. I thought they had actual pro days. 

However, with so many guys opting out, or in Brown’s case having his season cancelled, people were able to spend way more time than normal preparing for the workout. 

If you'll remember, though, during that extra time that Covid provided, Brown didn't go to one of those performance places where they teach you how to run a faster 40 and a more efficient 3-cone.

He went to work with Joe Staley. Staley had a lot to teach him, but he is no expert at how go faster at your combine drills.

Only after the season did he leave Staley and do combine prep (and more position prep also), Senior Bowl and so on, as he talked about below.

And yeah, he got those numbers at the UNI pro day. 

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting…what do you expect “Ques” to do in camp whilst he is “genuinely  competing “  that he couldn’t show the coaches in 2022?

They need to be actively seeking a better option THIS offseason  … not just rolling the dice that Brown comes good or even less likely that Ques is the answer…

The biggest priority on this team this offseason has to be improve the OL…Give Allen a bit more time and protection …this could go a long way to fixing the other problems on the offense that emerged in the second half of last season..

Improving the OL to me means that Bates is the 5th best OL on the team and Brown should be the swing tackle if he plays like last season…

Because of the injuries in camp across the oline last summer there was never a proper competition at any spot. It was like find the healthy guy. I don't think Ques is a star or anything but his pressure per snap rate was better than Brown's and at right tackle (not the occasions he was forced into duty at left tackle) I think he is viable as at least competition. If Brown and Ques have a genuine camp battle and Brown emerges from that I would at least be encouraged that there has been an element of earnong the spot. 

I agree that upgrading the oline is the number 1 priority. If the Bills get a shot at a guy who can be an immediate upgrade at right tackle then by all means take it. But they need to start by being better up the middle. Replacing Saffold with a genuine upgrade and being willing to take another guard too or a right tackle depending on how the offseason develops. I also think, as I did last offseason, they should be open to the upgrade left tackle and slide Dion inside option.

7 hours ago, LEBills said:

Normally I would agree with you my friend. But it’s a weak class overall, and especially at tackle. Paris Johnson will go ahead of him. Skoronski will too tho he may wind up at Guard eventually in his career. Then Anton Harrison, Broderick Jones or Jaelyn Duncan could be first rounders too. In the last 5 years, there has been an average of more than 4 OTs taken in the first round. I think this is the year someone as polished as him can make it towards the backend of round one ahead of Duncan and Harrison even tho he will only be a RT. Combine should shed some more light on who has the chance at going in the first as well.

I see the angle. It isn't a great tackle class. But I just don't think a right tackle only will end up in round 1. Early day 2 pick is my prediction for Wright.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks.   Still, Pro Day numbers are sometimes significantly better than combine numbers since the player has the advantage of working in a familiar environment.   I seem to remember a lot of incredible RAS numbers for that draft.

Edited by Billy Claude

17 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ingram may just be his krptonite. Everyone has a guy like that, Jerry Hughes vs HOF Joe Thomas. 

Stevie Johnson vs Darrelle Revis

15 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

I hope Tommy Doyle & Ike Boettger can contribute next year & then sign 1 good free agent & draft 2 good lineman & maybe we can revamp the line.

Doyle won't make the roster. He was awful before the ACL.  He might not even make it out of OTAs

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm more leery of last years combine numbers than anything prior.

The NFL clearly wants the combine to be must see TV and having pro day numbers be better than combine numbers was bad for participation.

So they went to a new fast track surface for the 40 and it wouldn't surprise me if they changed some of the ways they measured/recorded things to produce better numbers.    

I'm not saying it's necessarily a 39.5 yard dash now but let's face it.......results that look large in testing can be evened out with a fraction of a second slower start by the auto timer.........and a vertical leap can be altered by the launch surface etc..    Any tricks used at pro days will get used by the NFL going forward.   There is no financial disadvantage for teams to fudge numbers and make players look more amazing to the viewers. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, newcam2012 said:

I hear all this great stuff about Kromer. I've yet to see his supposed magic happen. It is possible he's getting too much credit. I thought the blocking schemes were pretty bad last year. Teams were able to use various stunts to pressure Allen. Look at the Cinci game for a clear example. Or is the oline just that bad? 

I’m no Kromer fan-boy, just wanted to acknowledge that the kid got a late jump on learning a new system for the 2nd year in a row, probably a big change from Northern iowa is all. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The guy is SOOOOO bad.

I'm guessing those predictions are based on Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Bates - Brown?

On the bright side, it goes to show that we're a hit at RT away from a good pass pro OL.  

Downside, everything said by the FO would lead us to expect Brown to be the starter next year. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm guessing those predictions are based on Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Bates - Brown?

On the bright side, it goes to show that we're a hit at RT away from a good pass pro OL.  

Downside, everything said by the FO would lead us to expect Brown to be the starter next year. 

I’d be shocked we don’t go with Brown at RT. Even if we were to draft one in the first round, McD hates playing rookies so I’d still expect Brown to start. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I’d be shocked we don’t go with Brown at RT. Even if we were to draft one in the first round, McD hates playing rookies so I’d still expect Brown to start. 

All started as rookies.  I obviously left Josh Allen out because he wasn't supposed to start.  McDermott plays rookies a lot.

Tre White

Ed Oliver

Tremaine Edmunds

Spencer Brown

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

All started as rookies.  I obviously left Josh Allen out because he wasn't supposed to start.  McDermott plays rookies a lot.

Tre White

Ed Oliver

Tremaine Edmunds

Spencer Brown

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

Out of 45 picks that’s not promising. 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Out of 45 picks that’s not promising. 

LOL okay.

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL okay.

Historic Success Chart

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

Blah blah blah. Fact is we don’t start rookies often and the fact that most of them haven’t been very good either is promising 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Blah blah blah. Fact is we don’t start rookies often and the fact that most of them haven’t been very good either is promising 

I just gave you 7 players that started as rookies, not to mention Milano, Bedford and Elam contributed a lot as well but weren't full time starters.

Dawkins contract extension

White contract extension

Allen contract extension

Edmunds one of the highest paid LB

LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:02 AM, newcam2012 said:

Spencer Brown registered a 6.5% Pressure Allowed Percentage per PFF (Among ALL OL with 14 games played). 

That was ranked the 103rd out of 113 players- NOT GOOD

I hope the Bills have a great plan to solidify a weak offensive line.

I'm not sure what they see in Brown? He's more a liability than an assest thus far. 

How confident are we Beane can make the necessary changes and upgrades? How confident are we in Brown? 

On 2/25/2023 at 5:15 AM, GunnerBill said:

As a rookie I think what they saw is a run blocking monster with a mean streak who really finishes blocks. The rawness to his pass pro should have been recognised by all. 

What they got as a 2nd year guy was no discernable development or refinement as a pass blocker and a regression in the run game. I wonder how much the back surgery and disrupted off season played a part but they need to make sure there is competition for Brown in camp next year. It is a big year for him. He has to solidify his spot or the Bills will be looking to replace him fully in a year from now.

If you listen to Beane's off season pressers, he really talks up Brown and his expectation for a bounce back season as he gets further away from his surgery issues.  Beane stated he feels that the back surgery and stuff impacted Brown a lot this season.  

I have a feeling they feel better about Brown at RT than most do, and because of that, I am not expecting them to address RT early in the draft unless someone they covet falls in their lap.  I think the more plausible scenario is they won't take a RT in the draft earlier than day 3.   

Not saying that is my choice, just listening to Beane talk about Brown leads to me think they are comfortable enough with Brown at RT right now that they don't feel pressure to find an immediate upgrade right now.  But like you said Gunner, this is a make or break year for Brown. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just gave you 7 players that started as rookies, not to mention Milano, Bedford and Elam contributed a lot as well but weren't full time starters.

Dawkins contract extension

White contract extension

Allen contract extension

Edmunds one of the highest paid LB

LOL

Edmunds is overrated and didn’t deserve that much. I haven’t liked him as our starting MLB and I’m glad he’s gone. 

Dawkins is extremely overrated and doesn’t deserve the money he’s making. He’s only making that much because we suck at drafting players and they have no shot at finding a replacement. My guess is, when his contract is up, unless he takes a pay cut, or moves to LG, he’s gone. But who knows, we probably won’t find anyone in the next 2 seasons to replace him so we’ll just overpay for him like we do to everyone else that’s a fan favorite but overrated for what they provide. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Edmunds is overrated and didn’t deserve that much. I haven’t liked him as our starting MLB and I’m glad he’s gone. 

Dawkins is extremely overrated and doesn’t deserve the money he’s making. He’s only making that much because we suck at drafting players and they have no shot at finding a replacement. My guess is, when his contract is up, unless he takes a pay cut, or moves to LG, he’s gone. But who knows, we probably won’t find anyone in the next 2 seasons to replace him so we’ll just overpay for him like we do to everyone else that’s a fan favorite but overrated for what they provide. 

I specifically used this gif because I have a feeling you look like him.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

On 2/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, newcam2012 said:

Spencer Brown registered a 6.5% Pressure Allowed Percentage per PFF (Among ALL OL with 14 games played). 

That was ranked the 103rd out of 113 players- NOT GOOD

I hope the Bills have a great plan to solidify a weak offensive line.

I'm not sure what they see in Brown? He's more a liability than an assest thus far. 

How confident are we Beane can make the necessary changes and upgrades? How confident are we in Brown? 

Well, looks like he's going to be around this season, it's his third, so let's hope he improves significantly.  I don't think anyone needs rankings for him, we all saw how not-good he was.  The extent to which he sucked can be discussed, but doesn't really matter at this point.  

On the flip side, after having done some research on Connor McGovern, he actually seems to be a good pick-up.  Not sure about the contract relative to what else was there, but if he plays the way that he did last season, the left side, Dawkins, McGovern and Morse should be solid.  

Having said that, the Cowboys last year also faced a relatively weak schedule in terms of pass-rushing Ds, that will tighten up significantly given our opponents for this season, at least based upon last season's rankings.  

Nothin' we can do, kind of watching your kids go out and do things, gotta just see how this plays out for Beane.  The Draft is what is either going to make or break Beane's future here.  If his Draft is more of the same of what he's provided therein the last four years, he's not going to be here much longer.  The performance of the team amidst an increasingly strengthening AFC East will be noticeable.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane stated he feels that the back surgery and stuff impacted Brown a lot this season.  

I'd cling to that except for the fact that the problems he had this year were virtually identical to the ongoing problems he had the year before when he was healthy i.e. he just doesn't have the feet to play T at this level.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd cling to that except for the fact that the problems he had this year were virtually identical to the ongoing problems he had the year before when he was healthy i.e. he just doesn't have the feet to play T at this level.

Oh yeah, I have the same concerns.  I do think his rookie year was encouraging enough that it was reasonable to have an optimistic outlook on him continuing to develop, but it definitely wasn't at the level where you could say he was the long term solution at RT.  And last year was a train wreck.  

I hope I am wrong and we at least bring in competition for him in the first half of the draft as I think he is the biggest question mark on the OL at this moment.  But, like I said, I think Beane's comments lend more towards they don't feel pressure to go get a guy earlier in the draft.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yeah, I have the same concerns.  I do think his rookie year was encouraging enough that it was reasonable to have an optimistic outlook on him continuing to develop, but it definitely wasn't at the level where you could say he was the long term solution at RT.  And last year was a train wreck.  

I hope I am wrong and we at least bring in competition for him in the first half of the draft as I think he is the biggest question mark on the OL at this moment.  But, like I said, I think Beane's comments lend more towards they don't feel pressure to go get a guy earlier in the draft.

I'm hoping Bean is laying down smokescreens so that nobody trades in front of us to take an OT we like.

I love the way Spencer plays the game but I think he needs protection on his flanks. A 6'7" Guard flies in the face of tradition but I'd love to teh see the Bills try it just to be able to keep him on the field.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL okay.

Historic Success Chart

Good info...however, a lot of fans don't see this info the same.  A lot of guys who were consistent starters, especially ones drafted in first 2 to 3 rounds, will be seen as busts by fan bases because they expect all this picks to be studs or pro bowlers, and that just isn't the case. 

My favorite part is when people call players "busts" then say to trade them for like a 2nd round pick.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mrags said:

I agree with you about both Edmunds and Dawkins.  The contract that Chicago gave Edmunds was laughable.  We should bring in at least one solid tackle to compete with Dawkins and Brown.  Competition is important.  Unless you are the best at what you do (see Anthony Munoz, Tony Bosselli, Larry Allen, even Jason Peters in his prime) guys need competition to raise their game.  The Bills seem to shy away from this for some reason.  

LOL okay.

Historic Success Chart

Where did you get this information from? How far back does it go?

LOL okay.

Historic Success Chart

Yikes. every position in the third round is 40% or well below for success. In my head I would have thought the numbers would be better for that round. 

And it looks like the Chiefs beat math (0% success rate for drafting backs in the 7th round) with Pacheco.

My advice to Beane: give the scout(s) who said draft Milano and Teller a raise (or rehire them); give the scouts who said draft Epenesa and Basham brooms.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If you listen to Beane's off season pressers, he really talks up Brown and his expectation for a bounce back season as he gets further away from his surgery issues.  Beane stated he feels that the back surgery and stuff impacted Brown a lot this season.  

I have a feeling they feel better about Brown at RT than most do, and because of that, I am not expecting them to address RT early in the draft unless someone they covet falls in their lap.  I think the more plausible scenario is they won't take a RT in the draft earlier than day 3.   

Not saying that is my choice, just listening to Beane talk about Brown leads to me think they are comfortable enough with Brown at RT right now that they don't feel pressure to find an immediate upgrade right now.  But like you said Gunner, this is a make or break year for Brown. 

Sadly, I feel the same way about Gabe. Beane loves him too. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.