The Bills should trade for Mike Evans

FireChans

Feel like Evans is not the kind of reviver that will produce well after the age of 30. Given what we would have to give up in trade and salary I don’t hubbub would have to pass. 

Let’s find another Diggs, a disgruntled wr who feels they are not being utilized correctly and under the age of 27. Possibly even on a rookie deal still.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Obviously I meant Vincent Jackson-like production.

Never saw that article before either.  He must have been in rough shape.

Yeah he didn't last long after he left the game.

Evans and Jackson not only had similar skillsets but they actually both had 1,000 yard seasons playing across from each other in Tampa in 2014.

I'm not in favor of giving up anything as far as picks are concerned right now. Nothing. That includes trading up. I think the Bills should be concentrating on trading a few of their own players and getting extra picks. Then using the Draft to stay ahead with picks every year...not behind. More chances at landing good roster players on Rookie deals is what they'll need most the next few years. B-)

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Feel like Evans is not the kind of reviver that will produce well after the age of 30. Given what we would have to give up in trade and salary I don’t hubbub would have to pass. 

Let’s find another Diggs, a disgruntled wr who feels they are not being utilized correctly and under the age of 27. Possibly even on a rookie deal still.

How about Mims from Miami?

On 2/18/2023 at 8:04 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

They aren't the same type of investment though.

Meyers is probably getting $40M or more guaranteed..........Evans in this scenario is $14M.

Ultimately,  I think you want to get below those kind of price points for WR2-WR3 in 2024.

If you trade for Evans, he’s going to want a new contract, and he’ll have all the leverage.  You’re looking at something like 3/$70.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, SCBills said:

Are we extending Gabe Davis? 

If not, I’m certainly open to sending Gabe to Tampa for Mike Evans. 

Still need to draft a WR early.  

Then we can platoon Beasley and Shakir in the slot. 

I dont think it would be wise to just give up on Davis. He has certainly done enough in his very young career to be given another opportunity. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, MJS said:

I think we need a speedster. Someone who can get vertical quickly. We also need a slot guy.

Shakir is a speedster and a slot guy. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:09 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I feel like Chark could be that guy.

Also loving Tyler Scott in the 2nd/3rd. Kid can FLY and fits the good guy mold.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I dont think it would be wise to just give up on Davis. He has certainly done enough in his very young career to be given another opportunity. 

Shakir is a speedster and a slot guy. 

Shakir has 10 catches in his career. The fifth rounder from Boise is who we are relying on?

2 hours ago, Billl said:

If you trade for Evans, he’s going to want a new contract, and he’ll have all the leverage.  You’re looking at something like 3/$70.

I don't know about that.   He is a different dude.   I suspect if he got traded he'd want to see how the season went before he committed to an area.    I'm not sure playing with a great QB is even a priority for him.   He's not a diva but I watched a lot of his games this year and he seemed disinterested at times despite having Tom Brady throwing passes to him.    I wouldn't be surprised if he put up another 1,000 yards somewhere but then  just retired after next season.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't know about that.   He is a different dude.   I suspect if he got traded he'd want to see how the season went before he committed to an area.    I'm not sure playing with a great QB is even a priority for him.   He's not a diva but I watched a lot of his games this year and he seemed disinterested at times despite having Tom Brady throwing passes to him.    I wouldn't be surprised if he put up another 1,000 yards somewhere but then  just retired after next season.

If he was considering retirement, wouldn’t he do it before uprooting to Buffalo for a year?

15 minutes ago, Billl said:

If he was considering retirement, wouldn’t he do it before uprooting to Buffalo for a year?

I'd say if he doesn't get a new contract before UFA opens in a few weeks..........that would be a red flag about his desire to play a lot longer.     29 year old 1,000 yard receivers don't go into walk years anymore.    They know their value.    The Bucs are in a massive salary crunch between the debt and the free agent talent............it should be a no brainer to extend him for 5 more years and push that debt down the road.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Shakir is not a speedster. He is a 5th round draft pick. Maybe he develops, maybe not. We need proven players or high draft picks.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Shakir has 10 catches in his career. The fifth rounder from Boise is who we are relying on?

Diggs was drafted in the 5th round. Tyreek Hill was drafted in the 5th round. Kittle was drafted in the 5th round. Just off the top of my head. 

who cares when he was drafted. He was drafted by us for a reason. Didnt Shakir have the most receiving yards for us this post season? If he didn’t he was pretty damn close. 

Whats the point in drafting players and they trying to draft their replacement next season? Im not saying we don’t need another WR. But Shakir shouldn’t be overlooked. Davis has done enough to warrant at least one more season before we discard him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Diggs was drafted in the 5th round. Tyreek Hill was drafted in the 5th round. Kittle was drafted in the 5th round. Just off the top of my head. 

who cares when he was drafted. He was drafted by us for a reason. Didnt Shakir have the most receiving yards for us this post season? If he didn’t he was pretty damn close. 

Whats the point in drafting players and they trying to draft their replacement next season? Im not saying we don’t need another WR. But Shakir shouldn’t be overlooked. Davis has done enough to warrant at least one more season before we discard him. 

Not in the mood to spend $ on an older WR regardless.
Trade or UFA a young guy on the cheap that fits the mold of Bills need. Which is speed and hands.

Not worried about slot this season. Hel you might move Davis into the slot on occasion ?

Get one or two young guns who can run outside and have upside with route trees.

Where matters not to me.
Hope the New WRs Coach can improve what we already have significantly as well.

Evan sis a good player and guy. But we missed that window

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

They are the exceptions, not the rule. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Does that mean we should bank on a 6th round QB?

Go bring in some talent. If Shakir is good, he will be the cream that rises to the top. If not, oh well. He was a 5th round pick.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

So Shakir is Diggs/Hill/Kittle?

that’s your take?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say if he doesn't get a new contract before UFA opens in a few weeks..........that would be a red flag about his desire to play a lot longer.     29 year old 1,000 yard receivers don't go into walk years anymore.    They know their value.    The Bucs are in a massive salary crunch between the debt and the free agent talent............it should be a no brainer to extend him for 5 more years and push that debt down the road.

I get what you’re saying.  Just seems unlikely that a guy in that situation would decide to spend a year in Buffalo.  He’s played his entire career in Tampa and went to school in Texas.  If he’s really a year from retirement, he’s not going to Western NY.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I get what you’re saying.  Just seems unlikely that a guy in that situation would decide to spend a year in Buffalo.  He’s played his entire career in Tampa and went to school in Texas.  If he’s really a year from retirement, he’s not going to Western NY.

Like I said........he's a hard read.   But if you do want to be in SB contention and play with one of the top 3 QB's in the league.........your options are very limited.    If you want to expand that field with top QB's but with bad defense's,  losing culture's or run-first offense's.........that opens up the field.    My guess is he re-signs for 5 years with Tampa before UFA so they can get his cap figure down and he goes back to winning 6-7 games per season over the next 3 years.......like pre-Brady.......and calls it a career as a Buc.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:48 PM, GolfandBills said:

Were you seeing this at?  Everything I’ve seen says the team takes on full contract terms with a trade. 

No. In short the team trading away the player is on the hook for all signing bonuses and many other bonuses. This includes voidable years (stretching cap hit over years a player no longer plays). Those get escalated and become payable immediately.

The team acquiring the player is only on the hook for the base salary. as scheduled in the contract for each year.

Evans is $13 million for one year (2023). He is a FA in 2024.

I personally have 0 interest in a 30 yr old, 1 year rental at $13 million. He is a good WR, but is not 'all in' each play, and has plenty of mental lapses the past two seasons.

10 hours ago, Billl said:

I don’t blame him if he is looking to cash a big check before retiring. Also, he’s maybe a fringe HOFer right now? One more 1,000 yard 12+ TD season maybe he is a lock?

That big check won’t come from Buffalo though. Don’t think we have the cap room. And we need a more longterm solution anyways. 

as some others have mentioned Chark could be the guy worth taking a gamble on. The talent looks to be there. Injury history could bring the price down to an affordable level. And he is young enough that his best years could still be ahead for him. 

My guess though is that the Bills try and overhaul the “x”s and “o”s rather than the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s at the skill positions. I think we see personnel investments in the o-line. Move Diggs to the slot? Have Shakir as the number one outside receiver? Gabe thrives as the #4 option behind Diggs, Shakir, and Knox? Get the running backs involved more. 

In the above scenario Diggs is still the main wr going over 100 receptions and 1200 yards. Shakir, Knox and Davis all come in around 60-70 receptions and 650-900 yards.

We are paying Knox top 10 tight end money I think. So they will change the play calling to get him involved. Still not sold on Knox though personally. 

They will run it back with Diggs, Davis and Shakir.  McKenzie will be gone. Crowder could be back if he is willing to play for close to the minimum. My guess is Beasley finally retires. Same for Brown. 

It will be interesting to see where McKenzie ends up if the Bills do move on from him. There is talent there for sure. We’re the Bills just using it wrong or is he just too inconsistent and unreliable?  Would love to see what KC could do with him.  That would really tell us if it was the Bills /Allen miss use of him or if it’s more on McKenzie himself. 

26 minutes ago, chongli said:

Agree. But with EJ and Tyrod throwing to him, he would have left after his first contract.

It actually would’ve been interesting to see what Sammy Watkins would’ve looked like with Josh Allen

Sometimes it’s all about fit

26 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don’t blame him if he is looking to cash a big check before retiring. Also, he’s maybe a fringe HOFer right now? One more 1,000 yard 12+ TD season maybe he is a lock?

That big check won’t come from Buffalo though. Don’t think we have the cap room. And we need a more longterm solution anyways. 

as some others have mentioned Chark could be the guy worth taking a gamble on. The talent looks to be there. Injury history could bring the price down to an affordable level. And he is young enough that his best years could still be ahead for him. 

My guess though is that the Bills try and overhaul the “x”s and “o”s rather than the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s at the skill positions. I think we see personnel investments in the o-line. Move Diggs to the slot? Have Shakir as the number one outside receiver? Gabe thrives as the #4 option behind Diggs, Shakir, and Knox? Get the running backs involved more. 

In the above scenario Diggs is still the main wr going over 100 receptions and 1200 yards. Shakir, Knox and Davis all come in around 60-70 receptions and 650-900 yards.

We are paying Knox top 10 tight end money I think. So they will change the play calling to get him involved. Still not sold on Knox though personally. 

They will run it back with Diggs, Davis and Shakir.  McKenzie will be gone. Crowder could be back if he is willing to play for close to the minimum. My guess is Beasley finally retires. Same for Brown. 

It will be interesting to see where McKenzie ends up if the Bills do move on from him. There is talent there for sure. We’re the Bills just using it wrong or is he just too inconsistent and unreliable?  Would love to see what KC could do with him.  That would really tell us if it was the Bills /Allen miss use of him or if it’s more on McKenzie himself. 

Somewhere in there they will either be a veteran wide receiver or a draft pick to push Gabe Davis. I fully believe that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It actually would’ve been interesting to see what Sammy Watkins would’ve looked like with Josh Allen

Sometimes it’s all about fit

Somewhere in there they will either be a veteran wide receiver or a draft pick to push Gabe Davis. I fully believe that.

it’s all about the X’s and O’s . In this scenario Gabe is the 4th option in terms of target volume. Possibly even 5th should Cook become a significant target option. A teams success should not rely on whether or not we had a player on the roster to push our 4th receiving option. 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

it’s all about the X’s and O’s . In this scenario Gabe is the 4th option in terms of target volume. Possibly even 5th should Cook become a significant target option. A teams success should not rely on whether or not we had a player on the roster to push our 4th receiving option. 

Would love to have had Sanders before he was washed. I really think that if we had him for a few years him diggs and Davis would’ve really been some thing.

Oh well get another veteran

What I don’t want to have happen, is go end of the season with a situation where Gabe Davis is not being pushed

Competition is a good thing

On 2/18/2023 at 5:40 AM, FireChans said:

The Bucs are tanking. They are taking a $35M cap hit on the chin for Brady next season.

Mike Evans will be 30 next year. Last year of his contract. A pre 6/1 trade costs them a massive cap penalty, 21M, with only 2M in savings. Post 6/1, they save $14M and spread it over two seasons.

What does a 30 year old WR without a contract go for on a team that is about to have 2-3 years of pain?  A second and a fourth?

That's not the problem. 

The problem is the $14.5M cap hit this year on a guy who you don't want to extend too much. And Evans will want a major extension, one he could get somewhere, whether as an extension or a new contract.

I could see it, and if he were a couple of years younger, it'd be a no-brainer. But he's not younger.

Draft someone. And maybe bring in a more reasonable FA on top of that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.