Brick-By-Brick, the NFL Losing Me As A Fan

pocoboy

41 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That was a bad call. Even if he did hold a tiny bit it wouldn't have made a difference because the ball was already in the air and it was a bad throw that nobody was going to catch. The ref needs to understand the situation and take into account whether it was a catchable ball. Game shouldn't have ended like that

After that holding call I turned off the game because the call right or wrong just gifted the Chiefs the game.  There was no suspense left at that point.  We all knew it was going to end on a short last second field goal attempt and make.  And whether or not the holding offense met the criteria it was the first defensive holding penalty against a secondary player in the game.  I'll guess anybody analyzing the film will see they let similar "holds" go for 58 1/2 minutes. 

Instead of the Chiefs kicking the FG and seeing if the Eagles can drive down to tie or win the game the clock gets milked down to a few seconds for a chip shot field goal for a less than dramatic finish vs. the excitement and challenge the alternative ending would provide.  

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

The ball wasn’t in the air. The WR ran a whip route(terrible one at that), the DB was holding before he even dropped his hips to explode back they other way…..the pass was in the air once he got loose. It was holding…..We’ve seen Tre White get flagged 4-5 times this season for the same thing.

The problem is they were letting both teams get away with that the whole game. There were letting them play and players get a feel for that . U can’t just call it after looking other way the majority of yr game especially in that moment. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

After that holding call I turned off the game because the call right or wrong just gifted the Chiefs the game.  There was no suspense left at that point.  We all knew it was going to end on a short last second field goal attempt and make.  And whether or not the holding offense met the criteria it was the first defensive holding penalty against a secondary player in the game.  I'll guess anybody analyzing the film will see they let similar "holds" go for 58 1/2 minutes. 

Instead of the Chiefs kicking the FG and seeing if the Eagles can drive down to tie or win the game the clock gets milked down to a few seconds for a chip shot field goal for a less than dramatic finish vs. the excitement and challenge the alternative ending would provide.  

honestly, surprised we haven’t seen a Philly fan with a montage of no calls yet if they were truly allowing all game. I’ll hold off on my outrage for now. It was fine by the letter of the rule, and hasn’t been shown out of line by the spirit of consistency -yet-

Just now, NoSaint said:

Pass interference - which is the ball in the air and a spot foul. Mahomes doesn’t even have to throw the ball for holding. 

Clearly this type of call (illegal contact or defensive holding) has enormous power, and you can absolutely be assured that the NFL and their officials know that. Does Mahomes even throw that pass unless he knows he's getting a call? On 3rd down, with 90 seconds remaining? Seems implausible.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

honestly, surprised we haven’t seen a Philly fan with a montage of no calls yet if they were truly allowing all game. I’ll hold off on my outrage for now. It was fine by the letter of the rule, and hasn’t been shown out of line by the spirit of consistency -yet-

Philly fans are likely too busy rioting in the streets to offer up any commentary yet..

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

I don't care if he admitted to the JFK assassination.  They hadn't called that all night when there's plenty of examples of it and worse ones.

Refs must be consistent. For them to throw that flag there, it needed to be an egregious occurrence. That's not what happened. I've watched the replay of that several times and still can't believe they threw that flag. That was one of the weakest cases of a defensing holding call I think I've ever seen and they chose to do it on a 3rd down with less than two minutes to go in the game, and it essentially ended the game.

If you're not going to consistently call it, then keep the dang flag in your pocket and don't determine the outcome of a Super Bowl.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I don't care if he admitted to the JFK assassination.  They hadn't called that all night when there's plenty of examples of it and worse ones.

If they're going to call it, they need to be consistent and only call it on the most egregious occurrences. That's not what happened.   That was one of the weakest cases of a defensing holding call I think I've ever seen and they chose to do it on a 3rd down with less than two minutes to go in the game, and it essentially ended the game.

If you're not going to consistently call it, then keep the dang flag in your pocket and not determine the outcome of a Super Bowl.

everyone keeps referencing the plenty of examples and worse ones. The most compelling argument will be when anyone compiled them from last night. And I don’t mean a single clip where a ref has a weird angle to see it- but pervasively allowing that kind of grabbing on change of direction throughout the night 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

everyone keeps referencing the plenty of examples and worse ones. The most compelling argument will be when anyone compiled them from last night. And I don’t mean a single clip where a ref has a weird angle to see it- but pervasively allowing that kind of grabbing on change of direction throughout the night 

Yeah, maybe someone with some editing skills will comb through and pull them out.  I hope they do.  For that to happen at the end of what was a good Super Bowl is just awful to have the zebras determine the outcome like that.  The game was over as soon as that flag came out.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

I hate to say it, but I don't feel that they want guys like me as consumers anymore. I don't tune in for theatrics, politics, or the type of pop music that litters this "spectacle."

And then, we finally get to the true reason that those who are their loyal, week-in and week-out customers tune in, and then they have systems in place which allow for 1 of 7 underpaid, part-time officials to ruin our primary focus. They take the game and turn it into a mockery.

All of this thrown together, and it gives me the feeling I have better ways to waste my Sunday afternoons. Goodell & the NFL are ruining something I've loved since childhood.

And I even wanted (ever so slightly) for the Chiefs to win.

Is there another nation on the planet that permits and promotes a special national anthem for one race?  How horribly divisive at a time when we all need to stand together ("United We Stand, Divided We Fall").  I miss marching bands and youth punt, pass & kick competitions at halftime.  The NFL is committing suicide with this nonsense.  And so true, the referees have ruined far too many big games.  The league has become a joke.

55 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I hate to say it, but I don't feel that they want guys like me as consumers anymore. I don't tune in for theatrics, politics, or the type of pop music that litters this "spectacle."

And then, we finally get to the true reason that those who are their loyal, week-in and week-out customers tune in, and then they have systems in place which allow for 1 of 7 underpaid, part-time officials to ruin our primary focus. They take the game and turn it into a mockery.

All of this thrown together, and it gives me the feeling I have better ways to waste my Sunday afternoons. Goodell & the NFL are ruining something I've loved since childhood.

First let me say I LOVE FOOTBALL! ,Specifically BILLS FOOTBALL but I am right there with you. They are losing my enthusiasm one brick at a time. I consider myself an old schooler( I guess I am 66) been season ticket holder since 1979 and have seen many changes and not all for the good. I go for the football, don't care about taking a selfie, don't care about the score board in the stadium dedicated to fantasy stats, did not  get mad when they got rid of the cheerleaders. Just BILLS FOOTBALL for me.

The call last night infuriated me because I had commented how the officials were letting them play, no ticky tack holding calls, no crappy pass interferences just the obvious off sides, delay of game and then at the most crucial time that call and I was done with it .....again. What is holding, what is PI, can I cheer or do I need to look for a flag, don't touch this QB ok to touch that one.

Now that that is out of the way a few more reasons for my waning fandom. I am getting to old to try to figure out how I am going to watch a Bills game on a TV, or a computer  or a phone or a DEVICE. I know the NFL needs to reach a younger fan base to grow the sport but damn man I been there forever and they could care less, seems like we older people are old news. One service for Thursdays, another for the Sunday Ticket, over the air broadcasts for others, all at extra charges.

And finally my biggest peeve going back to the 4 Bills Super Bowls, The NFL boasts about season ticket holders being the backbone of their franchises, real fans paying with their real money for real seats in all kinds of weather and on top of that now a personal seas license. I can live with all of that but WHY then does the NFL crap on those same fans when it comes to the Super Bowl.  Over inflated prices that the average fan can't afford, they seem to be able to get these tickets into the hands of ticket agents to really rip you off if you want to go    but as we saw last night, so called "celebrities" had seats. I'm sure most of them didn't care who won or  lost it was all about a selfie and being seen.   I was at the Bills - Washington Super Bowl in Minnesota, decent seats but right there on the 50 yard line sat many so called celebrities and one of the was Stevie Wonder, I guess his view was better than mine, oh wait, never mind.   

Ok, I'm good, waiting for my 2023 invoice and my shot at my PSL's for the new stadium. You see, I am the reason the NFL treats us this way, because I am like a drug addict, I want to stop but when the pressure is on to renew I turn to my wife, make a snorting motion and say, "one more time"

GO BILLLS!

55 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

First let me say I LOVE FOOTBALL! ,Specifically BILLS FOOTBALL but I am right there with you. They are losing my enthusiasm one brick at a time. I consider myself an old schooler( I guess I am 66) been season ticket holder since 1979 and have seen many changes and not all for the good. I go for the football, don't care about taking a selfie, don't care about the score board in the stadium dedicated to fantasy stats, did not  get mad when they got rid of the cheerleaders. Just BILLS FOOTBALL for me.

The call last night infuriated me because I had commented how the officials were letting them play, no ticky tack holding calls, no crappy pass interferences just the obvious off sides, delay of game and then at the most crucial time that call and I was done with it .....again. What is holding, what is PI, can I cheer or do I need to look for a flag, don't touch this QB ok to touch that one.

Now that that is out of the way a few more reasons for my waning fandom. I am getting to old to try to figure out how I am going to watch a Bills game on a TV, or a computer  or a phone or a DEVICE. I know the NFL needs to reach a younger fan base to grow the sport but damn man I been there forever and they could care less, seems like we older people are old news. One service for Thursdays, another for the Sunday Ticket, over the air broadcasts for others, all at extra charges.

And finally my biggest peeve going back to the 4 Bills Super Bowls, The NFL boasts about season ticket holders being the backbone of their franchises, real fans paying with their real money for real seats in all kinds of weather and on top of that now a personal seas license. I can live with all of that but WHY then does the NFL crap on those same fans when it comes to the Super Bowl.  Over inflated prices that the average fan can't afford, they seem to be able to get these tickets into the hands of ticket agents to really rip you off if you want to go    but as we saw last night, so called "celebrities" had seats. I'm sure most of them didn't care who won or  lost it was all about a selfie and being seen.   I was at the Bills - Washington Super Bowl in Minnesota, decent seats but right there on the 50 yard line sat many so called celebrities and one of the was Stevie Wonder, I guess his view was better than mine, oh wait, never mind.   

Ok, I'm good, waiting for my 2023 invoice and my shot at my PSL's for the new stadium. You see, I am the reason the NFL treats us this way, because I am like a drug addict, I want to stop but when the pressure is on to renew I turn to my wife, make a snorting motion and say, "one more time"

GO BILLLS!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Brick by brick?  Give me a break. Either you love football and any shortcomings in the game, or you are done with it, and this is your last football related post ever.

Stop the drama posting. 

Gonna put this one in the damned memory bank. Glad you're willing to hold yourself to that standard.

Labatt...Blue...that's an easy one to remember, no more complaints from you EVER thanks.

2 minutes ago, Stroke 17 said:

Nope, sorry, according to Labatt Blue, you need to grab a ladle of the Flav-o-raid and drink up. Every flag is golden, every result untarnished. Ever.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

Gonna put this one in the damned memory bank. Glad you're willing to hold yourself to that standard.

Labatt...Blue...that's an easy one to remember, no more complaints from you EVER thanks.

Nope, sorry, according to Labatt Blue, you need to grab a ladle of the Flav-o-raid and drink up. Every flag is golden, every result untarnished. Ever.

I’ve never come here(and never will) and stated I am close to being done with football because it is being ruined by officials. Part of the game, but carry on. 

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

I do not blame the officials.  There were multiple plays on that drive that the Philly defense allowed KC to advance the ball.  The second half, the Eagles stalled on both sides of the ball.  That game was good at showing the best and worst of the NFL.   If you do not like the pregame activities tune in at kick off.   This is a game long event for fans and non fans.  The half time show is definitely to bring in people who normally do not watch football.

So here - I'm willing to concede a defensive holding can be a justified ending. This wasn't. If Mahomes gets someone to come offside and it's a first down, fine. You just have to make the punishment fit the crime, and the official who threw that flag would either have to be a) one of the lower IQ individuals in the profession to not understand the gravity of that moment, b) told that he should throw it by a higher-up in his ear, or c) be deceitful in his own right.

I don't want to be dramatic about all of this. Yes, the nature of the post is that way. It's just tougher and tougher to accept the outcomes of these games.

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

What would you do if the person who the penalty was called on says it was a penalty? 

My assumption would be that the coming-off-a-one-year-deal aging defensive back was told by someone in the league to admit to it if he wants his next contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I didn't even bother watching.  The Super Bowl is nothing but a pop-culture phenomena, much more than it is a sporting event, and the NFL has made it that way deliberately, I typically don't bother watching.  If the Bills were in it, I would obviously watch it, but I'd have to hold my nose and would turn it off at halftime.  Otherwise, to me it's no different than any other game that's on on the weekend.  

If the Bills ever moved, I'd be able to count on one hand the number of major-league sporting events I'd watch in a year, with fingers to spare.

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, StHustle said:

26-BEDFA5-D1-B8-4886-A0-BA-FB251-AF3-B02

That was a very split-second occurrence; he didn't continue to pull. As you can see by that very picture, it was prior to the receiver's turn upfield, so it didn't impede the receiver's ability to get to where the ball was going to be thrown.  If anything, that's a pull in the direction the receiver wanted to go anyway.

And the greater point is they hadn't called other examples of that all night long.  Refs have to be consistent.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Negan said:

Bills couldn't get that big call against the Bucs last year, Chiefs get those calls all day 

Here's the reality for us - the NFL now views the Chiefs as their new Patriots. It's not going to change until Mahomes retires. They will use every resource in their power to enable them. Period.

I am wondering if we're going to be Rivers and the Chargers at this point. It's not looking good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After every big play or semi-big play I’m scanning the field looking for flags or waiting on a challenge.  That decent Eagles gain down the sideline in the first half that was over ruled on replay is what kills interest for me.  

Too lazy to look up the receiver but he had at least 3 feet down (maybe 4) controls the ball all the way until he is out of bounds when he falls and the ball moves.   I have no idea at what point the process of a catch is completed and he becomes a runner.  Is it 5 steps, 50, or is it just made up on the go?  

Was watching the game with my dad and he goes no way this is getting overturned.  I said yeah it is, look the ball moves and hits the ground.  Dad replies, but he had both feet down and possession and then goes out of bounds.   I said I agree but out of bounds doesn’t matter nor does the 2 feet down - the ball moves and hits the ground when he goes down.  It’s a catch by every logical standard including the naked eye.  

I’m at the point where I wish they would get rid of replay or go sky judge full time.

Edited by Blazman11
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

Here's the reality for us - the NFL now views the Chiefs as their new Patriots. It's not going to change until Mahomes retires. They will use every resource in their power to enable them. Period.

I am wondering if we're going to be Rivers and the Chargers at this point. It's not looking good.

I would have loved to be the Chargers during the drought years. 

Allen is better than Rivers was by a mile. The problem is our coaching staff is living 20 years in the past and trying to win on the back of a bloated defense instead of investing in the guy who is actually making them look good. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Eagles player admitted to holding. If that was a Bills receiver and it wasn't called, this place would have gone nuts. If it  was still ruined for you then you probably should stop watching

It wasn't that it was holding that was the problem. They had let that stuff go all game and decided to call it at the end. It ended up giving the chiefs the win. Same thing happened last season in the Super Bowl for the Rams. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I’m flashing back to last year when the refs didn’t call Diggs being molested in the endzone by a Tampa defender near the end of the game that would have probably gave the Bills a win. And THAT was a penalty for sure.

The one yesterday was a flat out joke and decided a championship.

Pass Interference and Holding calls are the most subjective calls in the game, and different officiating crews can be wildy inconsistent on these calls. Sometimes, the same crew, in the same game, can be wildly inconsistent. This is nothing new, and has been this way in the NFL for decades. It's frustrating and very often unfair, and does lead to speculation that some games are fixed, but short of video reviewing every pass play, not sure what they can do about it.

I agree with the OP, but for maybe a different perspective, while i generally enjoy watching football, I”m an adult, and its a game, when I was a child, it was all bigger than life, now its just a game that takes way to long to watch, a one hour long game that takes four plus hours to sit through, which takes a lot of the joy out of it, and yes its also the talking heads, trying to be stars themselves…, spare me, and then you get to the super bowl, yikes, talk about over blown, now it takes five or six plus hours to watch the one hour long game wtf, and the absolute crap that is peddled as entertainment is a crime against humanity, these acts are just bad, the product doesn’t stand up to the hype, ever, which also takes away from the joy of watching the game, i could go on, and i will, 😁

Always remember this, the entire NFL is a private club, and that everything that irritates you about the NFL is approved by the owners, yes, to include the Pegulas, as good a billionaires as one might find, I would comment to the OP to enjoy the game for what it actually is, and ignore the steaming mounds of fluff that surround  it, there is way more to life than the one hour long game…, keep it all in perspective,

GO  BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

They let them play all game. 

for 58 minutes, you truly got the sense that this epic game would be decided by one team winning the game.  Making the play that defines their season.  Drama, suspense and an exciting finish that this epic game deserved.  

Then, for reasons unknown, the refs .. who let them play all game, call a ticky-tack penalty that ends it.  

Just a travesty.. and it 100% took away from an epic game.  It’s literally all anyone is talking about today .. instead the amazing play by both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They let them play all game. 

for 58 minutes, you truly got the sense that this epic game would be decided by one team winning the game.  Making the play that defines their season.  Drama, suspense and an exciting finish that this epic game deserved.  

Then, for reasons unknown, the refs .. who let them play all game, call a ticky-tack penalty that ends it.  

Just a travesty.. and it 100% took away from an epic game.  It’s literally all anyone is talking about today .. instead the amazing play by both teams. 

was looking forward to OT

That flag was not as bad as many others you see from officials. He WAS held. I don't think it was a bad hold. It was a ticky tack call, for sure, and in that moment you should probably let them play.

I don't think the outrage is warranted, personally.

I thought it was 1 of the most exciting SB I've seen in some time by 2 teams I don't like at all and it was ruined by the refs once again and it's becoming an occurrence all the time now. It's sad that the most trending part of the SB is saying it's rigged or an Eagles fan punching his TV and almost abusing his friends. Everyone knows that was a holding call including Bradberry but it was let go all game long and then you make it on the game deciding drive where the ball was clearly 5 yards beyond the WR and uncatchable? I hate saying sports are rigged because it makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist type lol but they're definitely making it seem that way more often than not lately, all the billions the NFL makes and you can't find FT refs? 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.