The Super Bowl winning team just gave up 35 points in a Championship game.

Beast

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m sure you could’ve written the same post the previous 4 seasons…. When the losing team didn’t score over 20 in any of the 4 games.  

defense matters.  Offense matters.  STs matter. 

this post is so stupid.  

yes, we need to put more focus on the offensive side of the ball as we haven’t invested enough into if.  Just say that.  Saying that defense doesn’t matter is just about THE DUMBEST thing someone could say.  

So its 24-14 at half, KC comes out and scores.  They then get a stop after a long drive and its 27-21, not 31-21.  Thats a HUGE stop, and you're acting like it doesn't matter.  KC comes out and makes it 28-27, then the defense forces a 3 and out... KC then goes off on the return and obviously the rest is history. 

2 drives, 3 points.  10 point deficit into an 8 point lead.  

11 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Spoiler alert…Davis is not “fine” as the number 2. Not even close. Very limited skill set and elite tree. We can upgrade there for sure. 

If that's your opinion that's cool but like I said I'm not as down on Davis as others, it was his first year as the starting #2. 

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care, it's inconsequential 

Please explain.

35 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The point is with the rule changes to protect QBs and let WRs get away with murder, even the 85 bears would have gotten 38 dropped on them last night.  The only chance is to be ultra efficient on O.  Marginal additional investment in D will not pay off.

Meanwhile——. The previous 4 Super Bowl winners held their opponents under 21.  The rules were the same as they were this year.  So, in those super bowls, defense definitely mattered.  The notion that it doesn’t matter is stupid.  It matters a lot. 
it didn’t in this SB.  That doesn’t make the point credible. 

of course offense is the key-  most importantly an offensive line that can negate the opponents great defense.  We had 2 of the 3 best OLs in the game playing for the title yesterday. The other 2 best OL didn’t make the playoffs because….defense matters. 

33 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

So its 24-14 at half, KC comes out and scores.  They then get a stop after a long drive and its 27-21, not 31-21.  Thats a HUGE stop, and you're acting like it doesn't matter.  KC comes out and makes it 28-27, then the defense forces a 3 and out... KC then goes off on the return and obviously the rest is history. 

2 drives, 3 points.  10 point deficit into an 8 point lead.  

I’m acting like a huge stop doesn’t matter?   What did I miss here?

edit: maybe I worded my post in a way where the sarcasm wasn’t noticed…. 

my point was- defense definitely matters.

Edited by NewEra

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile——. The previous 4 Super Bowl winners held their opponents under 21.  The rules were the same as they were this year.  So, in those super bowls, defense definitely mattered.  The notion that it doesn’t matter is stupid.  It matters a lot. 

of course offense is the key-  most importantly an offensive line that can negate the opponents great defense.  We had 2 of the 3 best OLs in the game playing for the title yesterday. The other 2 best OL didn’t make the playoffs because….defense matters. 

Defense matters in as much as you can make critical stops at critical times.  KC spends a whole lot less on D than we do, but have an opportunistic D that seems to show up big in the biggest moments.  Our D on the other hand is statistically smothering but finds a way to show up small when the chips are down.  That hurts when you look at what we could have had loaded up on our Offense in the last several drafts instead of grabbing a bunch of JAGs for some dumb rotational DL that cant get to the QB or stop opponents on 3rd and forever

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Beast said:

I am the biggest fan of Edmunds but how do you justify giving him a big contract? 

Let him and Poyer walk.

Get Allen some speed and protection and the Bills will be on stage at this time next season.

Enough said!

I agree.  

The Eagles DL also generated I believe the 3rd most sacks in NFL history and top 10 in defensive scoring....gave up 38.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Eagles one of the best pass rushing teams in NFL history. 0 sacks. 38 points.

49ers best defense in the NFL. 31 points.

Last year. Pats second best defense in the league. Blown the hell up by the Bills. 

Last year. Bills defense best in the league. Shredded by the chiefs. 

In today's NFL, come playoff time an elite offense will beat an elite defense almost every time. 

Defense does not matter. 

They really only gave up 24 points (still not great but not horrible). The defensive TD and the punt return got KC 14. Maybe KC scores a TD on their final possession instead of a FG if they needed a TD, though ...

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I generally agree but the Chiefs defense was actually a problem for them for most of the season. They snuck out a lot of wins by the skin of their teeth often because of luck. Tonight was no different. A false start and then a flukey fumble returned for a TD plus a big punt return led to 14 points. If not for those plays the Chiefs lose by two scores IMO.

The Eagles defense got confused multiple times tonight which left KC pass catchers high school wide open at times. That doesn't mean defense doesn't matter, it was just a bad night for them. I think their defense is a lot like ours, they play vanilla most of the time which is good enough to collect gaudy stats against bad teams, but then the good QBs and offenses exploit it easily. Maybe we should have paid more attention when they gave up 40 points to the Cowboys.

I would let Edmunds walk for the reasons you stated. We have to transfer some of our resources from defense to offense, and a good but not elite LB is a great place to start. Hopefully we head into the playoffs next year much healthier on defense because I think the defensive line we started the year with could be a force. White will be one more season removed from his injury and Elam will have more experience. Defense still matters but we don't have to invest anything new into the defense to take it to another level. Just mix up the scheme and trust that the players we have will be good enough to get it done.

I’m sad I can only like this post once. Great points. Beyond being good, it takes luck to win the whole thing. Unfortunately we’ve NEVER gotten a bounce like the one Bolton scooped up for a free 7 points. Add in that awful punt that they nearly housed, and it adds up to a gift SB for Mahomes. Brady had that gift for 2 decades now Mahomes has it. Everyone knows the other team will make a boneheaded mistake gift to give them the victory or the ref is going to toss a mystery flag out to save them. Unfortunately we can’t draft or pay for that kind of luck and we’ll likely never get it. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Defense matters in as much as you can make critical stops at critical times.  KC spends a whole lot less on D than we do, but have an opportunistic D that seems to show up big in the biggest moments.  Our D on the other hand is statistically smothering but finds a way to show up small when the chips are down.  That hurts when you look at what we could have had loaded up on our Offense in the last several drafts instead of grabbing a bunch of JAGs for some dumb rotational DL that cant get to the QB or stop opponents on 3rd and forever

This. Who cares what our stupid lazy D does in the regular season. Guys like Cover 1 and other content creators keep throwing out DVOA numbers like any of that matters. There’s not a stat that tells you that the bills d will shrink in big moments but ***** they always do and you know they will. The chiefs D has better players than ours but not that much better. What they do have is Spagnuolo who will take chances and actually changes things up against different teams. He brought pressure at key moments yesterday to flush hurts out of the pocket, specifically to the left to make him throw across his body. He blitzed to throw the timing of the eagles RPO action. Meanwhile Frazier is content with trotting out the same garbage week after week. It never changes and never will. We will not win a ring with him as DC. Simple as that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Meant to piggyback - probably just replied to wrong thread though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Draft better and you can afford to let guys walk. The problem has been the drafting and player development. I will also add in smart in season moves. The Chiefs won the game because of guys like - Toney (trade deadline move the Bills could have made, Pacheco (rookie, 7th rounder), Skyy Moore (rookie, 2nd rounder), JuJu (FA sub $4m contract), and 6 rookies playing some significant snaps on defense (McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Karlaftis, Chenal, Cook). 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This. Who cares what our stupid lazy D does in the regular season. Guys like Cover 1 and other content creators keep throwing out DVOA numbers like any of that matters. There’s not a stat that tells you that the bills d will shrink in big moments but ***** they always do and you know they will. The chiefs D has better players than ours but not that much better. What they do have is Spagnuolo who will take chances and actually changes things up against different teams. He brought pressure at key moments yesterday to flush hurts out of the pocket, specifically to the left to make him throw across his body. He blitzed to throw the timing of the eagles RPO action. Meanwhile Frazier is content with trotting out the same garbage week after week. It never changes and never will. We will not win a ring with him as DC. Simple as that. 

Spags blitzes are designed to get free runners to the QB, probably the most important part of designing blitz schemes...quick pressure with nobody blocking the player.

Some other thoughts: 

Please don’t resign Edmunds unless you get a break. He’s not Roquan Smith or Fred Warner. Let him go make a big impact for someone else that uses him correctly (and they will). We can’t sink that much money into someone that frazier is going to just have stand in the middle of the field to do nothing and take up space with his long arms. Im sure someone in the draft can do that. 

Thought the Eagles unwillingness to come out of nickel when the chiefs went heavy (sound familiar) cost them big time. Chiefs were cool with running all over them and it worked. 

We are miles behind the chiefs (and eagles and even the bengals) in elite talent and even further behind the chiefs in terms of o line talent. It’s sad but true. That said, wouldn’t be surprised to see Beane overreact to Poyer leaving and stupidly taking a safety round one. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Spags blitzes are designed to get free runners to the QB, probably the most important part of designing blitz schemes...quick pressure with nobody blocking the player.

Exactly. Frazier does not of that and essentially sleeps during a game. He’s done it his whole career. 

13 hours ago, Beast said:

I am the biggest fan of Edmunds but how do you justify giving him a big contract? 

Let him and Poyer walk.

Get Allen some speed and protection and the Bills will be on stage at this time next season.

Enough said!

Your premise also forgets that they scored 31 on the top D in the NFL and would have lost if not for a TD return by the D (they would have been down 24-7 or worse if not for that turnover) and the D stepped up in the second half against a top rated O in the Eagles. 

What the Bills need is a D that steps up in crunch time and an O that will bring it against a tough D when dowb.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Your premise also forgets that they scored 31 on the top D in the NFL and would have lost if not for a TD return by the D (they would have been down 24-7 or worse if not for that turnover) and the D stepped up in the second half against a top rated O in the Eagles. 

What the Bills need is a D that steps up in crunch time and an O that will bring it against a tough D when dowb.

Teams are going to score - its getting stops at crucial moments.  We barely did that all season long, let alone in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Teams are going to score - its getting stops at crucial moments.  We barely did that all season long, let alone in the playoffs. 

I mean this sounds a little silly when the team averaged allowing 17.5 points during the season.

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Teams are going to score - it’s getting stops at crucial moments.  We barely did that all season long, let alone in the playoffs. 

Lol you had the 8th ranked scoring D. Your D did it in the regular season, it’s just a lot harder in the playoffs.  Also your secondary was banged up pretty badly.

Let him and Poyer walk.

Enough said!

I don't mind OBD giving Frazier support... the path the Chiefs took did involve a defensive game plan that did a good job of bottling up the Bengals.

But our offense was a shell of itself in our playoff game against the Bengals, and was inconsistent throughout the season.

Beefing up the support and weapons around Allen would not hurt.

Let him and Poyer walk.

Enough said!

I get the logic . I agree on Poyer and even Ed for 10 mil but i think Edmunds is a must re sign. Keep him and Milano as 1 of the best LB duos in the gm. Maine is a physical freak and been a leader and will be here for years to come. 

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

I agree.  My point is, again, defense matters.  It didn’t matter in this Super Bowl. 

Coordinators game plans and play calling can be just as effective as investing heavily in great players, like Spags has shown in both the chiefs SB victories. Getting stops when needed. It wasn’t Chris Jones making the :rd down stops.  It was Spags blitzing of average LB Willie Gay.  Winning games of chess when it matters most.

the problem with our drafting of defensive players on day 2 isn’t that we drafted defensive players. It’s that the players that we drafted haven’t developed into what they had hoped. If AJ and Boogie had turned into Josh Sweat or Chris Jones, the problems on offense wouldn’t be under the same microscope. The fact they they busted is the problem imo.  Maybe that’s the players being drafted fault.  Maybe it’s the coaches fault, or a bit of both.  

Either way, teams with terrible defenses rarely win the Super Bowl for a reason.  Defenses do matter.  Defensive play calling matters. That’s my only point. 

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

What the every team in the league needs is a D that steps up in crunch time and an O that will bring it against a tough D when dowb.

Fixed. 

• Agree 1

If anything, what the Chiefs have proven over the past few weeks is the value of coaching and game planning.

Against Cinci, they had the pass rushers to take advantage of Cinci's injuries on the OL and won the game because of it.

In the Super Bowl, they successfully neutralized Philly's pass rush and exploited their porous secondary (which has been an opportunity for teams against Philly all year long as long as you CAN neutralize their pass rush).  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  My point is, again, defense matters.  It didn’t matter in this Super Bowl. 

Coordinators game plans and play calling can be just as effective as investing heavily in great players, like Spags has shown in both the chiefs SB victories. Getting stops when needed. It wasn’t Chris Jones making the :rd down stops.  It was Spags blitzing of average LB Willie Gay.  Winning games of chess when it matters most.

the problem with our drafting of defensive players on day 2 isn’t that we drafted defensive players. It’s that the players that we drafted haven’t developed into what they had hoped. If AJ and Boogie had turned into Josh Sweat or Chris Jones, the problems on offense wouldn’t be under the same microscope. The fact they they busted is the problem imo.  Maybe that’s the players being drafted fault.  Maybe it’s the coaches fault, or a bit of both.  

Either way, teams with terrible defenses rarely win the Super Bowl for a reason.  Defenses do matter.  Defensive play calling matters. That’s my only point. 

Let’s look at the last 4 Super Bowl, the Mahomes era.

1).  Both the winners and losers of last 4 Super Bowls were coached by offensive coaches.

2).  The defensive ranking of the winner of last 4 Super Bowls have gotten lower and lower each season.  None in top 5.  The last 2 Super Bowl winners rank 15th and 16th in Total Defense.

3).  The last 5 Super Bowl winners have a top 10 Total Offense, 4 of those 5 were top 5 in Total Offense.

Your point of a team winner Super Bowl with a terrible defense may be true.  A mid table defense is enough if you have an elite offense.  The offense in this Mahomes Era is so much more important and this team has neglected it.  An offensive minded Head Coach has literally made 100% of Super Bowls in this Mahomes era.  Could it happen to this version of Bills, maybe?  You wouldn’t bet a whole lot on the small chance it could with the Bills as currently constructed.

Edited by Billsflyer12

I don’t know. The Chiefs defense looked a lot different than the Bills defense. They flew all over the field; didn’t give up; didn’t looked beaten. They made multiple pre snap penalties that lead to Philly points. 

The Eagles defense in the second half looked more like the Bills defensive. Deflating. Team morale killing. Giving up EASY touchdowns.

I think there’s a huge difference with how the Chiefs defense looks versus how the Bills soft, no rush, easy yards, giving up 3rd and long blah blah blah. 

The Chiefs defensive just doesn’t scream, WE CAN’T DO ANYTHING TO STOP AN OFFENSIVE. And Mahomes does what it takes to keep it close. Then wins. 

And the Chiefs defensive SCORED, which probably won them the game. They’re always scratching. 

17 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

1).  Both the winners and losers of last 4 Super Bowls were coached by offensive coaches.

2).  The defensive ranking of the winner of last 4 Super Bowls have gotten lower and lower each season.  None in top 5.  The last 2 Super Bowl winners rank 15th and 16th in Total Defense.

3).  The last 5 Super Bowl winners have a top 10 Total Offense, 4 of those 5 were top 5 in Total Offense.

Your point of a team winner Super Bowl with a terrible defense may be true.  A mid table defense is enough if you have an elite offense.  The offense in this Mahomes Era is so much more important and this team has neglected it.  An offensive minded Head Coach has literally made 100% of Super Bowls in this Mahomes era.  Could it happen to this version of Bills, maybe?  You wouldn’t bet a whole lot on the small chance it could with the Bills as currently constructed.

What does this have to do with the previous 4 super bowl champions holding their opponents to under 21 points?  What does this have to do with my point—— defense does matter?  

are you also saying “defense doesn’t matter”?  That was the original title of the thread. OP has now changed it

Edited by NewEra

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What does this have to do with the previous 4 super bowl champions holding their opponents to under 21 points?  What does this have to do with my point—— defense does matter?  

are you also saying “defense doesn’t matter”?  That was the original title of the thread. OP has now changed it

A great defense does NOT matter, a great offense DOES in the Mahomes era.

Having an offensive minded Head Coach DOES matter, a defensive Head Coach is a LIABILITY in Mahomes era.

Edited by Billsflyer12

46 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Let's look at the last decade of Super Bowl winners and use what I think is a better and more telling stat: defensive DVOA, which factors in a lot more than just raw yards and points.

2013: #1 overall defense (Seattle)

2014: #12 overall (New England)

2015: #1 overall (Denver)

2016: #16 overall (New England)

2017: #5 overall (Philly)

2018: #19 overall (New England)

2019: #14 overall (KC)

2020: #5 overall (Tampa Bay)

2021: #5 overall (LA Rams)

2022: #17 overall (KC; Philly was ranked 6th overall this year, btw)

So: half of the SB winners in the past decade have had a top five defense and twice the best defense overall has won it. No terrible defenses have been SB winners either (while the 2019 NE defense wasn't great, it wasn't a bottom feeder and it stepped up to essentially win the SB vs. LA by itself).  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

If our d is top 8-12, then that should be good enough if we get Allen a brick wall and another elite weapon. No reason whatsoever to draft defense except for maybe on day 3. 

Except we have a defensive minded coach who does what he does. 

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Well the team that lost scored 35…so if they could actually make a few stops they win. You can look at it like, 35 should be enough. But you had no defense when it mattered. Hold them to 34 and you win…works both ways

Eagles invested in their Defense as much as anyone this year.  

It didn't matter in the Super Bowl.  Lucky for them, they don't have KC, BUF, CIN or even LAC in their way to get there, or they likely would've been exposed earlier.  

This is an Offense-driven league and the Playoffs are a different animal..  Give a good DC an average Defense and an elite player on the DL and you're golden to invest heavy around your elite QB.  

Giving Edmunds a huge contract after watching that game would an absolute joke.  It's bad enough that Oliver is on this team next year at an 11M cap hit.  

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Let's look at the last decade of Super Bowl winners and use what I think is a better and more telling stat: defensive DVOA, which factors in a lot more than just raw yards and points.

2013: #1 overall defense (Seattle)

2014: #12 overall (New England)

2015: #1 overall (Denver)

2016: #16 overall (New England)

2017: #5 overall (Philly)

2018: #19 overall (New England)

2019: #14 overall (KC)

2020: #5 overall (Tampa Bay)

2021: #5 overall (LA Rams)

2022: #17 overall (KC; Philly was ranked 6th overall this year, btw)

So: half of the SB winners in the past decade have had a top five defense and twice the best defense overall has won it. No terrible defenses have been SB winners either (while the 2019 NE defense wasn't great, it wasn't a bottom feeder and it stepped up to essentially win the SB vs. LA by itself).  

I said in the Mahomes Era.  The current QB, Coach and team that is the standard now, currently.

Use DOVA, fine.  3 of the past 5 SB winners were 14th or worse in defense.  BTW the 2 who weren’t Bucs and Rams were 3 and 8th in Total Offense.

Both the wining and losing coaches in past 4 SB were Offensive coaches, that’s 8 for 8.  7 of the last 8 playoff teams this season were offensive coaches.

OFFENSE wins Championships now in the Mahomes era, not defense.  That’s my point.

14 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I said in the Mahomes Era.  The current QB, Coach and team that is the standard now, currently.

Use DOVA, fine.  3 of the past 5 SB winners were 14th or worse in defense.  BTW the 2 who weren’t Bucs and Rams were 3 and 8th in Total Offense.

Both the wining and losing coaches in past 4 SB were Offensive coaches, that’s 8 for 8.  7 of the last 8 playoff teams this season were offensive coaches.

OFFENSE wins Championships now in the Mahomes era, not defense.  That’s my point.

In the Mahomes era? I'm old enough to remember way back to February 2021, when a top-five defense held the Mahomes-led second ranked offense to zero TDs in the SB.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsflyer12 said:

A great defense does NOT matter, a great offense DOES in the Mahomes era.

Having an offensive minded Head Coach DOES matter, a defensive Head Coach is a LIABILITY in Mahomes era.

Yeah, defense didn’t matter 2 years ago when tampa rolled them and KC scored 9.  It didn’t matter last year when the rams held Cinci to 20.  It didn’t matter when the pats held the rams.  Or when KC held SF to 20.  Or when the pats held the rams to 3 points.  As if 2023 was the first year in the “Mahomes era”

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

In the Mahomes era? I'm old enough to remember way back to February 2021, when a top-five defense held the Mahomes-led second ranked offense to zero TDs in the SB.  

You can’t make this stuff up

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Buffalo has it backwards ……those resources we put into the dline should’ve been put into the oline. We should’ve been looking for bargain dlineman and spent the 1st and 2nd round picks on O lineman.

They did that and whiffed on Ford.

We do not have the luxury of too many of those kind of misses.

Harsh on Beane and his staff that are doing their best I know, but it is where we are at as a team.

Got to nail those early picks.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Eagles invested in their Defense as much as anyone this year.  

It didn't matter in the Super Bowl.  Lucky for them, they don't have KC, BUF, CIN or even LAC in their way to get there, or they likely would've been exposed earlier.  

This is an Offense-driven league and the Playoffs are a different animal..  Give a good DC an average Defense and an elite player on the DL and you're golden to invest heavy around your elite QB.  

Giving Edmunds a huge contract after watching that game would an absolute joke.  It's bad enough that Oliver is on this team next year at an 11M cap hit.  

I think you are right about the Eagles competition on the road to the SB. 

These AFC teams and especially the Chiefs are on another level and force you to play them down to the wire... even if there is only 13 ticks left on the clock.

Pretty impressive for an Eagles squad with relatively new QB and coaching nonetheless.

They made some mistakes that were pretty costly and that is what happens with QBs (and teams) that have not been there done that already.

Hilarious that just giving JA better protection or more speed at WRs will suddenly be the magic wand. It’s coaching folks. JA would still throw the 50 yrd, low % bombs if he had the Dallas Cowboy OL from ‘92-93. McDermott is woefully inept in big games, fails to make adjustments or plainly use common sense. His OC/DC are direct extensions of his ineptitude. Andy Reid and now Zack Taylor will outcoach this guy 9-10 games they play. Watch how the offenses, in particular, play within themselves and take what the defenses give. As for defenses, Frazier has received F ratings the past 2 seasons in the most critical games. He should’ve been fired for abysmal D vs Cincy. Strike that….the Miami game was even worse due to the level of QB he faced. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.