The Super Bowl winning team just gave up 35 points in a Championship game.

Beast

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

If our d is top 8-12, then that should be good enough if we get Allen a brick wall and another elite weapon. No reason whatsoever to draft defense except for maybe on day 3. 

Agreed but it will never happen that way with McDermott in charge. And yes I mean McDermott IS in charge of the organization, not Beane. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

Agreed but it will never happen that way with McDermott in charge. And yes I mean McDermott IS in charge of the organization, not Beane. 

Not saying I disagree, but it’s getting harder and harder for McD to justify all the defense after each year. He’s gotten so many resources and yet they continue to crap their pants in big games. Tonight illustrated exactly why you need to change course and do right by your qb. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, whorlnut said:

Not saying I disagree, but it’s getting harder and harder for McD to justify all the defense after each year. He’s gotten so many resources and yet they continue to crap their pants in big games. Tonight illustrated exactly why you need to change course and do right by your qb. 

I’d agree. But McDermott is stubborn and confident in his beliefs. And as the person in charge of this franchise id be shocked if he did anything outside his comfort zone. He will justify reasons why defense must still be taken often and early in each draft. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

I am the biggest fan of Edmunds but how do you justify giving him a big contract? 

Let him and Poyer walk.

Get Allen some speed and protection and the Bills will be on stage at this time next season.

Enough said!

he’s one of the toughest calls. The modern league is essentially build an offense and a pass rush and then be opportunistic on the back end.

edmunds does a lot well but he’s not ending many drives with turnovers, sacks, or broken up passes. He doesn’t set an emotional tenor for those around him. He seems fine at getting the defender set but never hear exceptional stories of hot reads and audibles. At some point you can’t pay guys simply for being very good at ILB on a mature roster. He’s got to be the identity not the role player. I have a hard time seeing him cross that threshold.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Well the team that lost scored 35…so if they could actually make a few stops they win. You can look at it like, 35 should be enough. But you had no defense when it mattered. Hold them to 34 and you win…works both ways

And the Eagles were looked upon as having the best defense in the league. And they gave up 38 points in a Championship game.

it doesn’t work both ways. This is an offensive league. The Bills front office and coaching staff need to get with the times or get get the hell out of town.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I’d agree. But McDermott is stubborn and confident in his beliefs. And as the person in charge of this franchise id be shocked if he did anything outside his comfort zone. He will justify reasons why defense must still be taken often and early in each draft. 

Then he needs to ask himself…do I want to win?  His philosophy hasn’t worked and I don’t think it ever will at this rate. Beane needs to make sure they even this thing out and draft elite offense. Allen deserves that. The team deserves that. The fans deserve that. 

If I’m pegula, I’m telling him he either changes some things or next offseason might have him on the hot seat. Being stubborn is one thing, but being stupid is another. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Patriots gave up 33 and lost. 

It happens. 

I can't believe how bad the Eagles D was.

get used to modern football. You will see a lot of games that are shootouts decided by either last possession and or an elite pass rush wrecking things at a key moment. 

the fear is ours is old and currently injured and on the other side we don’t have the depth of playmakers. It’s a real rough crossroads at the moment.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

And the Eagles were looked upon as having the best defense in the league. And they gave up38 points.

Well, 31 actually since Hurts fumbled, and KC scored on that play. But I hear you.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Beast said:

I am the biggest fan of Edmunds but how do you justify giving him a big contract? 

Let him and Poyer walk.

Get Allen some speed and protection and the Bills will be on stage at this time next season.

Enough said!

Yes but if the Eagles made a few stops they win.

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Then he needs to ask himself…do I want to win?  His philosophy hasn’t worked and I don’t think it ever will at this rate. Beane needs to make sure they even this thing out and draft elite offense. Allen deserves that. The team deserves that. The fans deserve that. 

If I’m pegula, I’m telling him he either changes some things or next offseason might have him on the hot seat. Being stubborn is one thing, but being stupid is another. 

Again I’d agree. But McDermott can say to himself, Beane and Pegula, look at how this franchise has completely turned around since I’ve come onboard. Everything I’ve done to this point has brought us here, as a top 3-5 franchise in the NFL. It’s been my vision and beliefs that has changed the culture and I’m asking you continue to believe in the trust you’ve placed in me to do the right thing. I think that’s 1000% percent exactly what’s going on behind the scenes and I think McD will continue to do what HE thinks is best for the franchise. And based on his history that means taking defense early and often in the draft. We will just have to wait and see if that changes. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by Billznut

Let's let Tremaine walk and get the future comp pick. We need all we can get.

From OTC and NBC Sports:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/what-are-compensatory-draft-picks-and-why-do-nfl-teams-get-them

"Who has compensatory picks in the 2023 NFL Draft? 

We likely won’t know the final breakdown of compensatory picks for the 2023 NFL Draft until well into March.

OverTheCap.com currently projects 36 compensatory picks awarded in 2023. According to their list, the San Francisco 49ers lead the pack with an estimated seven compensatory picks. The Los Angeles Rams and Kansas City Chiefs come in a tie for second with four, followed by the Arizona Cardinals, New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys with three. 

The Washington Commanders, Las Vegas Raiders, New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are all estimated to earn two compensatory picks. Rounding out the projection chart is the Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints and Cleveland Browns, each with one pick, respectively. "

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

Let him and Poyer walk.

Enough said!

Who is going to be our ILB since you're letting him walk? I'm not saying I disagree with you I just want to hear your realistic replacement? Who are you getting to protect Allen also?

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

Let him and Poyer walk.

Enough said!

Ed Oliver can hit the road with them also… He was a huge disappointment this year… I’m all for bolstering our offense and trying to out score people 

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Recency bias. Whatever just worked is what you were supposed to do.

If you can’t see that offense is what this league is about I can’t help you. 

The Eagles were looked upon as having a superb defense. That went well for them.

So, you’re on board with paying big bucks to keep our defense in tact and going from there?

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Who is going to be our ILB since you're letting him walk? I'm not saying I disagree with you I just want to hear your realistic replacement? Who are you getting to protect Allen also?

I’m not he GM or scouts. Let them figure that out. However I know that paying Edmunds big money is not going to make our offense any better…and that is what needs to improve.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Beast said:

I’m not he GM or scouts. Let them figure that out. However I know that paying Edmunds big money is not going to make our offense any better…and that is what needs to improve.

So now we have a giant hole on defense as well as Edmunds is on for almost all defensive formations yet you don't even have a name to replace him? 

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

5 of last 7 Super Bowl winners score 31 or more points, and Beane and McDermott have decided every year to double down on freaking defense with an elite QB on the roster!  Just inexcusable negligence toward Allen and this offense.

Beane traded for Diggs in 2020 and from that point on he stopped trying to get elite talent on that unit. 

It’s been picking through garbage bins for lineman, and washed up veterans at WR. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Without a salary cap McDermott can get Pegula to spend $17 million a year on Edmunds, and it's the right move.

But when you're paying Josh his money and there's a cap you need to make sacrifices and prioritize your needs with a very limited budget.

To me, that $17 million is better spent on the O-line and draft capital is best spent on O-line and offensive weapons, with maybe a 4th rounder on a capable but unspectacular MLB.

Would you rather use very limited cap resources to pay a linebacker $17 million to help stop the opponent's short passing game in the middle of the field — or protect our quarter of a billion dollar generational QB and give him weapons?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Beast said:

If you can’t see that strict offense is what this league is about I can’t help you. 

The Eagles were looked upon as having a superb defense. That went well for them.

So, you’re on board with paying big bucks to keep our defense in tact and going from there?

Did you also notice that Mahomes passed for only 182 yards but KC ran for 158?  Does that mean teams don't need a big passing game to win a Super Bowl? What kind of "strict offense" do you run?

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

So now we have a giant hole on defense as well as Edmunds is on for almost all defensive formations yet you don't even have a name to replace him? 

Again, I’m not the GM or scouts. Why does it matter who I think should replace Edmunds? Whoever it is I’m pretty sure we can handle not giving up 35 points in a Championship,game.

Tell me….who do you think we can bring in on offense to score 35 to 38 points in a game like we just witnessed? Or, does that not matter to you?

Edited by Beast

33 minutes ago, Beast said:

Let him and Poyer walk.

Enough said!

This is just a hot take.

What happened the last time the Chiefs were in the SB?  Bucs D held them to 9 points and smashed them.  

You can’t make wild declarations off one game and say that is the best way.  Pats record breaking undefeated offense scored 19 points and lost to Giants.  Broncos broke all offensive records shortly after and got smashed by Seahawks 42-8 in the Super Bowl. 

3 of the top 5 offenses all time lost bad in the Super Bowl and averaged 13 points per game.  

That being said…FRAZIER is so weak, that I agree, save the money and spend it all on offense.  Not because of this Super Bowl, but because it doesn’t matter how good the defense is, Frazier is gonna lay down in the playoffs regardless.  So spend all our money on the OL and weapons for Josh.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Super Bowl winning team just gave up 35 points in a Championship game.

They also needed 14 points courtesy of their D and STs to simply be in it.  They were lucky to win.  They were also severely outplayed by them offensively.  As well, they also gave up 35 to the second highest scoring team in the league, not one TD less to a team with a JV OL or four points less to a team with a 7th-round rookie QB with almost no starts.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.