Khalil Shakir / answer for WR 2 / Makes Sports Illustrated

Figster

who has a bigger season?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. who has a bigger season?

2. 2. Does Khalil Shakir eventually become the Bills WR 2?

qjqqk5imqb1nef8jymoe.jpg

Player development has become a question mark for many Bills Fans. My question for the Buffalo Bills is If khalil Shakir screams for more play time to us. Why doesn't Shakir scream more play time to you? Is the McD process to slow?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-2023-predictions-khalil-shakir-future-no-2-wr/ar-AA17wy3t?ocid=xboxntp&cvid=9f31bf41300a404396c44e277cd5382b

Shakir makes Sports Illustrated 

18535931.jpeg

Looks and plays like a young Andre Reed. Almost as agile and athletic at the WR position as Josh Allen is at he QB position. Combined = the recipe for greatness.

Is there aother rise to stardom on the horizon for Khalil Shakir and the Buffalo Bills. I Billieve there is...

Edited by Figster
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Coaching staff will need to see him develop for another 3 years before they give him a starting shot.  

*This is a joke for everyone that agrees*

Big play (when he doesn't drop it) Gabe didn't need 3 years to get in the lineup.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

I hope the person that is our #2 next year is not Davis or Shakir because Shakir will be our #3 slot receiver and Davis the 4th receiver on the roster.

Hopefully Quentin Johnston is our #2.  It shouldn't take Shakir long to be slot WR3.  And Gabe will just have to transition to #4.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

I like Shakir a lot.  Passes the eye test and he's apparently a mature dude and hard worker.  He's the kind of guy you could picture making plays up and down the field for a team like KC.  Not sure why he didn't see more work this season given our struggles at the slot receiver position.  Maybe Dorsey just didn't want to get out of his comfort zone in his first season as OC.  It took him next to forever to get Cook integrated into the offense as well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Highly unlikely Shakir, a 5th round draft pick, will emerge as the #2 WR in year two of his NFL career.

Andre Reed was drafted in the 4th round from a small School and yet played all 16 games as a rookie with over 600 yards.  Player development under HC McD is being questioned. I'm fine with showing loyalty to a player / senority to a point. Not when it means slowing the development of a more talented athlete. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Too small to be a #2 WR.

Top flight traits is what Allen needs, not 4th and 5th Round developmental projects. 

He's roughly the same size as Diggs but faster.  Have to see what he does on the field but size is not his problem.  Waddle and Hill aren't giants.

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He's roughly the same size as Diggs but faster.  Have to see what he does on the field but size is not his problem.  Waddle and Hill aren't giants.

Ok man, he’s a 5th Round pick from Boise State.

It would nice to get an elite athlete on this team at WR.

15 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

What round was Diggs picked in?

Do the Bills have 3 years to wait for Shakir to get to Stef level?

Off the top of my head:

Ja’Marr Chase - 1st

Justin Jefferson - 1st

DeAndre Hopkins - 1st

Jaylen Waddle - 1st

Mike Evans - 1st

Ceedee Lamb - 1st

Amari Cooper - 1st

Tee Higgins - 33rd overall

DK Metcalf - 2nd

AJ Brown - 2nd

Davonte Smith - 1st

George Pickens - 2nd

Brandon Aiyuk - 1st

Debo Samuel - 2nd 

Davante Adams - 2nd

Garrett Wilson - 1st

Chris Olave - 1st

Mike Pittman - 2nd

DJ Moore - 1st

It’s easy to see where the elite talent is found.

And Tyreek Hill would have been higher than a 5th for obvious reasons.

Allen is peak Allen right now. He’s had three seasons in a row with the same numbers, it’s time to get him some real help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Ideally, Davis is replaced as WR2 and Shakir is good enough to start in the slot. So Shakir. 

Exactly!

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I like Shakir a lot.  Passes the eye test and he's apparently a mature dude and hard worker.  He's the kind of guy you could picture making plays up and down the field for a team like KC.  Not sure why he didn't see more work this season given our struggles at the slot receiver position.  Maybe Dorsey just didn't want to get out of his comfort zone in his first season as OC.  It took him next to forever to get Cook integrated into the offense as well.

Play Cook and Shakir!  Let’s go!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Dawson Knox is the answer for WR2. 

Gabe Davis is fine in his role. I think his targets should drop slightly. Knox should be closer to 100 targets. Basically just flip Knox and Davis in target share.

Diggs 150

Knox 100

Davis 65

Shakir/Rookie/UFA/Trade 65

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Dawson Knox is the answer for WR2. 

Gabe Davis is fine in his role. I think his targets should drop slightly. Knox should be closer to 100 targets. Basically just flip Knox and Davis in target share.

Diggs 150

Knox 100

Davis 65

Shakir/Rookie/UFA/Trade 65

Knox probably deserved to be on the poll.

Myself personally, Shakirs a better route runner then both of them IMO. I think Shakir can get better seperation then both of them. I also think Shakir can high point a football better then both of them IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Figster said:

Knox probably deserved to be on the poll.

Myself personally, Shakirs a better route runner than both of them IMO. I think Shakir can get better seperation than both of them. I also think Shakir can high point a football better than both of them IMO. 

Shakir will have to earn it. He’s an average WR physically. He has talent but he’ll start as a 4th option next year unless he has an outstanding offseason.

Knox is an elite talent at TE. Still improving as a route runner. He should be used like a top 5 TE. Those guys get 100+ targets.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We need to do what we did last year and bring in a solid vet to be wide receiver number two push Gabe Davis to number three and hope that Shakir shows enough to be the starting slot and wide receiver number four

In the end, I think that’s where we screwed up this year. Gabe Davis wasn’t ready to make the transition to be the number two receiver yet we should’ve had a veteran in front of him even if it was an older veteran.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Shakir will have to earn it. He’s an average WR physically. He has talent but he’ll start as a 4th option next year unless he has an outstanding offseason.

Knox is an elite talent at TE. Still improving as a route runner. He should be used like a top 5 TE. Those guys get 100+ targets.

I agree, Shakir will have to earn it because thats what 5th rounders have to do IMO. Shakir has already earned Josh Allens trust. Speed is on his side IMO. Great body control. Better hands then Gabe Davis IMO. A little faster then Diggs. Time will tell...

I'm a big fan of Dawson Knox at the TE position...

Edited by Figster

He doesn't "scream more playing time" to me. He had a REAL issue separating early in the year and learning how to recognise and then sit in zones that make you available to your Quarterback as an NFL receiver. He played against less zone coverage in college and his speed and shiftiness at his level of competition facing lots of man defense meant he was open. In the NFL where it is mainly zone defense he had to learn how you adjust. There was definite progress by the end of the year, so I hope we see that in 2023. 

But anyone who wants to tell me Shakir "deserved" more playing time in 2022 I will refer them to the film. 

As for can he be the Bills WR2.... it depends what you mean by that. Can he play on the outside opposite Diggs? No. Not as any sort of long term proposition. Can he win the slot receiver job and overtake the 2nd outside guy (be that Gabe or someone else) in targets? Yes. Although I'm sceptical that he becomes the 2nd most targeted receiver in 2023. Maybe that is more a 2024 target. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't "scream more playing time" to me. He had a REAL issue separating early in the year and learning how to recognise and then sit in zones that make you available to your Quarterback as an NFL receiver. He played against less zone coverage in college and his speed and shiftiness at his level of competition facing lots of man defense meant he was open. In the NFL where it is mainly zone defense he had to learn how you adjust. There was definite progress by the end of the year, so I hope we see that in 2023. 

But anyone who wants to tell me Shakir "deserved" more playing time in 2022 I will refer them to the film. 

As for can he be the Bills WR2.... it depends what you mean by that. Can he play on the outside opposite Diggs? No. Not as any sort of long term proposition. Can he win the slot receiver job and overtake the 2nd outside guy (be that Gabe or someone else) in targets? Yes. Although I'm sceptical that he becomes the 2nd most targeted receiver in 2023. Maybe that is more a 2024 target. 

I would like to see this film you speak of If you care to post some clips. Shakir hasn't gotten much of a chance yet IMO. I know he started coming on in the Miami playoff game. We can look at film on that easily enough...

Edited by Figster
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We need to do what we did last year and bring in a solid vet to be wide receiver number two push Gabe Davis to number three and hope that Shakir shows enough to be the starting slot and wide receiver number four

In the end, I think that’s where we screwed up this year. Gabe Davis wasn’t ready to make the transition to be the number two receiver yet we should’ve had a veteran in front of him even if it was an older veteran.

31 minutes ago, par73 said:

I would hope the #2 is not currently on the roster.

Yes sir, you and John point out the most logical approach IMO. 

Myself personally, drafting high for a WR left a bad taste in my mouth after trading Sammy away for peanuts. We draft Zay Jones in the 2nd just to trade him for peanuts. Jones develops into a good 3. Player development has been an issue with the McBeane Regime IMO. 

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Off the top of my head:

Ja’Marr Chase - 1st

Justin Jefferson - 1st

DeAndre Hopkins - 1st

Jaylen Waddle - 1st

Mike Evans - 1st

Ceedee Lamb - 1st

Amari Cooper - 1st

DK Metcalf - 2nd

AJ Brown - 2nd

Davonte Smith - 1st

George Pickens - 2nd

Brandon Aiyuk - 1st

Debo Samuel - 2nd 

Davante Adams - 2nd

Garrett Wilson - 1st

Chris Olave - 1st

Mike Pittman - 2nd

DJ Moore - 1st

Allen is peak Allen right now. He’s had three seasons in a row with the same numbers, it’s time to get him some real help. 

While this is a nice list, how many super bowls have been won with those players and the elite talent?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Off the top of my head:

Ja’Marr Chase - 1st

Justin Jefferson - 1st

DeAndre Hopkins - 1st

Jaylen Waddle - 1st

Mike Evans - 1st

Ceedee Lamb - 1st

Amari Cooper - 1st

DK Metcalf - 2nd

AJ Brown - 2nd

Davonte Smith - 1st

George Pickens - 2nd

Brandon Aiyuk - 1st

Debo Samuel - 2nd 

all Davante Adams - 2nd

Garrett Wilson - 1st

Chris Olave - 1st

Mike Pittman - 2nd

DJ Moore - 1st

You are not wrong, but this just isn't the best WR draft. It is one of the weaker WR classes in the past 10 years or so IMO. More like the 2015 and 2016 classes. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I would like to see this film you speak of If you care to post some clips. Shakir hasn't gotten much of a chance yet IMO. I know he started coming on in the Miami playoff game. We can look at film on that easily enough...

I'm not tech whiz to do clipping up but the two games where I remember watching the all22 and thinking the struggles with getting open were the most obvious were the Cleveland and Detroit games back to back Thanksgiving week. I will try and go back and maybe get some still shots (I can manage those) to try and show what I'm on about. But I wasn't the only person to notice. Joe B talked about in one of his Athletic pieces too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You left out Shakir’s poor run blocking. He was a liability on outside zones, stretch runs, screens, etc. Shakir needs to show real improvement there before he earns a starting spot. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.