Bills with third least offseason resources (cap space, draft capital, prorateable $)

beebe

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Can free up 50 million by playing kickball with monopoly $   The cap isn't how it's perceived by many on here 

No.

It is not monopoly money. It is money from our future cap years.

We can and will free up some money. But doing so does hurt us, and Beane is aware of that and doesn't go overboard on it.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is why drafting is so important

Yes.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Exactly. Look at New Orleans who was $110 million over the cap easily getting under it and then making splash UFA signings too.

At the end of the day I'll trust Beane far more than some dork off the internet.

And they played the entire season with Andy Dalton as their starting QB, cementing Jamais Winston to the bench.  I would fire my head coach and anyone in the organization who agreed with Dennis Allen's strategy.  (I like Dennis Allen.  Sounds like a cool old school kind of a tough guy type of coach when he speaks.)  But my goodness you are not winning anything w Andy Dalton.  At least Winston gives you big play potential.  He is the black version of Fitzie.  Boom or bust.  400 yards passing.  4 TD's.  4 picks.  A fumble and a lot of excitement.

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/  Been using this to keep an eye on things throughout the year.   Now that the -6 million overage is factored in its more like $42.5 million but you can get there by restructuring 12 or 13 contracts.  I dont know if they will want to pay that much money up front, really up to Pegula, but it can be done.

I would caution fans who are thinking Beane is going to restructure every possible contract in 2023.

Ther odds of that happening are extremely low.  Beane will do what he has been doing in the past, he will restructure as he needs it.

He is not going to free up every penny and then go on a shopping spree in FA.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I would caution fans who are thinking Beane is going to restructure every possible contract in 2023.

Ther odds of that happening are extremely low.  Beane will do what he has been doing in the past, he will restructure as he needs it.

He is not going to free up every penny and then go on a shopping spree in FA.

Where in my post did I say that he should go on a shopping spree in free agency?   He needs to free up cap just to resign his own players, which is why I said he would need to restructure those contracts.  Otherwise you can say goodbye to both Poyer and Edmunds because without those restructures, or possibly trading Ed Oliver, you dont get those players back.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t think people get it the bills can get up to 60 million in cap apace with restructures and can easily recoup draft picks by trading out of the first round when you don’t have an immediate glaring need like other teams it’s pretty easy to do this 

Bills have at least 2 glaring needs off the top of my head at CB1 and LG, and possibly RT as well. Not mention neither Hyde nor Poyer are under contract after this season

The good news is Buffalo does not have to remake their whole roster.  I doubt they'll be able to re-sign Poyer.  I don't think there are a lot of other key veterans they need to re-sign.  They need to do some roster tweaking, but they can probably do most of what they want with the resources they have.

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Where in my post did I say that he should go on a shopping spree in free agency?   He needs to free up cap just to resign his own players, which is why I said he would need to restructure those contracts.  Otherwise you can say goodbye to both Poyer and Edmunds because without those restructures, or possibly trading Ed Oliver, you dont get those players back.  

You didn't and I'm talking just in general.  Just wait until next spring when every FA that people will want to sign will be

followed by "the cap is meaningless".  

I didn't mean to insinuate anything.  I posted a reply because your detailed Spotrac link is a great place for fans to understand the system.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

That is a huge amount of cap space.  How did you come up with that number?

Clearly by making cuts to the fantasy roster.    

OBD gets praise for getting this team to be a perennial playoff team...but the harder work is sustaining that level of play.  Buffalo can go the route of GB and remain on that plateau or ascend to being a championship contender while working within the limits of paying a franchise QB.

The HC's vision for this franchise is under the microscope more now than ever.  He's the architect of how they build a roster and Beane gets those pieces.  Josh deserves better than what's he's been handed the past 2 seasons on offense.  This off-season should transition the franchise to one that builds around the franchise QB by deferring to offense.  

48 minutes ago, appoo said:

Bills have at least 2 glaring needs off the top of my head at CB1 and LG, and possibly RT as well. Not mention neither Hyde nor Poyer are under contract after this season

Cb1? They just went corner unless you think Elam is a bust. And you can definitely get quality olinemen especially guard in round 2 

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You didn't and I'm talking just in general.  Just wait until next spring when every FA that people will want to sign will be

followed by "the cap is meaningless".  

I didn't mean to insinuate anything.  I posted a reply because your detailed Spotrac link is a great place for fans to understand the system.

Understood.  I am sure there will be a bunch of go sign DJ Chark or JuJu threads in the Spring.   My hope is the board has seen enough of Beane to know they will resign their own and supplement the roster in free agency where possible.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cb1? They just went corner unless you think Elam is a bust. And you can definitely get quality olinemen especially guard in round 2 

I'm not sure Elam has the instincts to be a CB1. I definitely think he's got a future as a starter in the League though. My concern is around Tre. If he didn't have a 22M dead cap hit there's a chance he could get cut because he simply doesn't have the explosiveness to be paid like a CB1, unless he continues to regain his pop this off season. 

But untill that happens, the Bills have a weakness at corner, made worse by Hamlin's loss. He struggled a bunch this year, but you could see signs of a pretty good strong safety with more experience, which would have made it easy to let Mycah go this off season and save a much needed 3M on the cap. Now they're going to have to eat a 10M cap hit for a 33 year old safety coming off a major neck injury. 

This is going to be, perhaps, Beane's most important, and difficult off season. 

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

WR2?… it’s the most glaring need on the roster… they have nothing behind Diggs.

WR2 is way down the list for me. You have Josh Allen, Diggs, Dawson Knox and an emerging RB in Cook...Davis, for all his troubles, is good enough for now.  Outside upgrading RT and filling LG (can't resign Saffold), wouldn't really touch the starting offense. Just not worth it in terms of opportunity cost elsewhere

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Understood.  I am sure there will be a bunch of go sign DJ Chark or JuJu threads in the Spring.   My hope is the board has seen enough of Beane to know they will resign their own and supplement the roster in free agency where possible.

My hope for FA is that Beane can secure a couple of good players cheaply who want to come to Buffalo for the chance of the ring.

It's a powerful recruiting tool.

• Agree 1

It's really too early to be fretting over offseason resources. We have needs, sure. But we don't have that many needs.  And the best asset we have in this regard is Brandon Beane, who has shown an incredible aptitude for moving around players, contracts, and numbers. Let's see where we stand after the playoffs are over. I have every bit of confidence in this regime to continue to build this team.

2 hours ago, appoo said:

I'm not sure Elam has the instincts to be a CB1. I definitely think he's got a future as a starter in the League though. My concern is around Tre. If he didn't have a 22M dead cap hit there's a chance he could get cut because he simply doesn't have the explosiveness to be paid like a CB1, unless he continues to regain his pop this off season. 

But untill that happens, the Bills have a weakness at corner, made worse by Hamlin's loss. He struggled a bunch this year, but you could see signs of a pretty good strong safety with more experience, which would have made it easy to let Mycah go this off season and save a much needed 3M on the cap. Now they're going to have to eat a 10M cap hit for a 33 year old safety coming off a major neck injury. 

WR2 is way down the list for me. You have Josh Allen, Diggs, Dawson Knox and an emerging RB in Cook...Davis, for all his troubles, is good enough for now.  Outside upgrading RT and filling LG (can't resign Saffold), wouldn't really touch the starting offense. Just not worth it in terms of opportunity cost elsewhere

More defense lol so what you’re saying is you have no faith in Brandon Beane to draft Cb since you want him to draft another cb 

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

More defense lol so what you’re saying is you have no faith in Brandon Beane to draft Cb since you want him to draft another cb 

No, I want a defense that has a minimum of two corners who can play man or zone on the outside. With Tre's burst where it is right now, the Bills have 1

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

No, I want a defense that has a minimum of two corners who can play man or zone on the outside. With Tre's burst where it is right now, the Bills have 1

Exactly so the corner he just drafted isn’t good enough for the system so you want him to draft another corner who may not be good enough when George Pickens could have been a Buffalo Bill right now 

4 hours ago, appoo said:

CB1 is not a glaring need .. in fact, there is zero reason we should be drafting a corner. 

White, Elam, Benford and Jackson are all under contract .. the first 3 for multiple seasons beyond this year.  

LG is a need.  If a guy like O’Cyrus Torrence is there at our pick, just do it.  He could be a pro-bowl caliber player for the next decade at that position.  

WR2 is 1 or 1A in need along with the previously mentioned IOL. 

Need #3 is the position of whoever doesn’t come back between Edmunds and Poyer.  

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills are a passing offense and have Stefan Diggs, a solid receiving option in Knox and literally JAGs… It would be great if they make Josh’s job easier instead of asking him to lead the team in both rushing and passing while also infront of a shotty offensive line. 

Another CB with Tre rebounding from an ACL tear and Elam just taken in the first round?… For a management group that continuously puts offense secondary?… come on man seriously? 

Agree that WR 1b and O-Line need to be a priority. Going in to year 6, you can't keep having Josh put his body on the line every game. What they can to do retain Edmunds, Oliver and Poyer will be interesting. Tre and Elam are going to have to be good next year or we have a problem. But I think they will be.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, damj said:

Getting deals for Oliver, Poyer, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but ... Edmunds are a must.

I'd like to keep Singletary, but I think we can get him resigned for a team friendly short 1 year deal ... the RB FA market is STACKED, so Motor might not get a big payday. 

WR, I think we need to go draft route. WR FA crop is very thin ... maybe a vet to round out the WR room.

Oliver doesn’t need a deal, in fact, I’d try to trade him.  He’s an average player on a bloated 5th year deal.  Po is a big time contributor, just can’t sign him long term due to injury concerns.  Edmunds is going to get paid FAR more than he’s worth.  Motor is easily replaced in terms of performance, would like him back at a reasonable rate.   WR needs to be a round 1 pick, the cost of the position is through the roof and you NEED an upgrade badly.  Saffold can pound sand, Morse may well retire and I guess you are hoping Brown doesn’t suck bad enough to sink the ship next year, so OL better be a big focus… makes me really wish they had taken the flier on Toney.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not tagging Edmunds for 18 large. 

He’s going to get more than that, might as well if you want him back.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

CB1 is not a glaring need .. in fact, there is zero reason we should be drafting a corner. 

White, Elam, Benford and Jackson are all under contract .. the first 3 for multiple seasons beyond this year.  

LG is a need.  If a guy like O’Cyrus Torrence is there at our pick, just do it.  He could be a pro-bowl caliber player for the next decade at that position.  

WR2 is 1 or 1A in need along with the previously mentioned IOL. 

Need #3 is the position of whoever doesn’t come back between Edmunds and Poyer.  

Yes Wr2 is a need but if they traded back out of the first round a few spots and recouped a pick or two it isnt that big of a deal.  

12 hours ago, appoo said:

Sir, it’s tre white he’s not getting cut. It’s like all of a sudden people forget the player that he was before the injury. It takes a while to recover from that.

10 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Oliver doesn’t need a deal, in fact, I’d try to trade him.  He’s an average player on a bloated 5th year deal.  Po is a big time contributor, just can’t sign him long term due to injury concerns.  Edmunds is going to get paid FAR more than he’s worth.  Motor is easily replaced in terms of performance, would like him back at a reasonable rate.   WR needs to be a round 1 pick, the cost of the position is through the roof and you NEED an upgrade badly.  Saffold can pound sand, Morse may well retire and I guess you are hoping Brown doesn’t suck bad enough to sink the ship next year, so OL better be a big focus… makes me really wish they had taken the flier on Toney.

He’s going to get more than that, might as well if you want him back.

I had the same thought there on Toney.

Beane is very skilled in Cap management, I'm over here just sipping my brew knowing he's got it handled...I'm sure that's one reason why Poyer wasn't extended before or during the season. He has a plan. He always does. So, I'm good...I know this team, somehow will only be better next year and that's even if the Bills win the whole damn thing...

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hyde, Miller, and Allen restructures incoming.

I don’t really see any surprising releases, maybe McKenzie? 

Definetly gonna need some cap gymnastics this offseason 

Edited by ddaryl

On 1/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, MJS said:

The Bills can restructure to create a ton of cap space. Beane knows what he is doing.

I was looking at this yesterday. Allen's contact is built to squeeze extra cash year to year. Right now that last of his guaranteed money runs out in four seasons when he is 30, and that year its a quarter of his salary. We are entirely in the clear in 2027.

We can rerack $20 million just by converting most of Allen's 2023 salary to a prorated bonus. That's enough to retain one of our key free agents. (Edmunds, Poyer)

That said, barring draft finds, this is about as good as the Bills will look for a while. 

27 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I was looking at this yesterday. Allen's contact is built to squeeze extra cash year to year. Right now that last of his guaranteed money runs out in four seasons when he is 30, and that year its a quarter of his salary. We are entirely in the clear in 2027.

We can rerack $20 million just by converting most of Allen's 2023 salary to a prorated bonus. That's enough to retain one of our key free agents. (Edmunds, Poyer)

That said, barring draft finds, this is about as good as the Bills will look for a while. 

…Which means Beane will NEED to draft better than he has the past few years…We need more explosiveness on both sides of the ball imo…

• Like (+1) 1

I think next offseason is going to be painful...

tough decisions to be made, and will need some cheap options to fill out a roster

I expect some cap gymnastics out of Beane but that wil just allow to resign our own... UFA will be bargains/cheap vets IMO...

Beane and company can't afford anymore draft shennanigans... Time to invest in a true #2 WR OL and maybe a #2 TE. Allen needs a beeter OL and reliable WR's outside of Diggs

Edited by ddaryl

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

…Which means Beane will NEED to draft better than he has the past few years…We need more explosiveness on both sides of the ball imo…

Superstar QB, pro bowl MLB, starting RB for next year, starting slot/#2 WR for next year, possible starting RT, great DE (Groot), starting slot CB (arguably top 3 in league), two rotational DEs, starting dominant DT, probable starting CB next year, starting TE...

Some people expect GMs to hit EVERY SINGLE draft pick..thats not realistic. We have a ***** ton of drafted impact starters on this team. What more do you want from this GM? 

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Effectively yes. I don't think the bills will be purging talent in the immediate future. The biggest looking FA's in 2024 are Hyde (reaching the end of his career), Gabe Davis (a nice piece but at best a #2 WR) and Oliver (pay the man!)

But the pinch is coming. You can do a lot to kick the can down the road, but the Bills have a 2-3 year window before we have to shed some veterans.

One obvious move but small move would be to extend Nyheim Hines. The man is the best return specialist I've seen in a while, has some juice to be a offensive 5-10 snap a game wrinkle, he's 26 and his 2023 money in unguaranteed.

I'm willing to tack on an extra year or two to spread that out 

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Superstar QB, pro bowl MLB, starting RB for next year, starting slot/#2 WR for next year, possible starting RT, great DE (Groot), starting slot CB (arguably top 3 in league), two rotational DEs, starting dominant DT, probable starting CB next year, starting TE...

Some people expect GMs to hit EVERY SINGLE draft pick..thats not realistic. We have a ***** ton of drafted impact starters on this team. What more do you want from this GM? 

I mean one this year is taking ROY, but I'm rather happy with what we got out of Elam, Cook, Shakir and Benford.

Think about this: Dane Jackson, Elam and Benford are all as good as or better than most #2 CBs in the league and we have all of them on secure controlled deals for next year. Their entire issue is that they aren't pro bowl and we were counting on a quicker turnaround from Tre

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Superstar QB, yes… but Edmunds in the pro bowl is popularity contest, not really based on how well you play…Remember when Tyrod made the pro bowl? 

Other positions you mentioned are projections or hopes that we all have, not necessarily what is the case now…

We HOPE Cook will take another step and upgrade our running game…

We HOPE Groot can be great, but at the moment he is just a solid player…

We have two rotational DEs who we HOPE can improve, because right now they are JAGs…

Which DT are you referring to as dominant? Oliver is solid, but certainly not a game changer- which is how I define as dominant…

”Probable” starting CB? Well, every team has two, so that’s not much of an accomplishment…Same with TE…Who cares if Knox starts, if it’s just because we don’t have anything better? Knox is just an average player to me…

Edited by JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Superstar QB, yes… but Edmunds in the pro bowl is popularity contest, not really based on how well you play…Remember when Tyrod made the pro bowl? 

Other positions you mentioned are projections or hopes that we all have, not necessarily what is the case…

We HOPE Cook will take another step and upgrade our running game…

We HOPE Groot can be great, but at the moment he is just a solid player…

We have two rotational DEs who we HOPE can improve, because right now they are JAGs…

Which DT are you referring to as dominant? Oliver is solid, but certainly not a game changer- which is how I define as dominant…

”Probable” starting CB? Well, every team has two, so that’s not much of an accomplishment…Same with TE…Who cares if Knox starts, if it’s just because we don’t have anything better? Knox is just an average player to me…

Edmunds is a stud, if your still arguing he isnt one of the best LBs in football...then I dunno what to tell you. Agree to disagree (but you are wrong lol).

Groot is great. All metrics show him as a top DE in football. 

Ill take a JAG who gets 8 sacks a year as a rotational player. 

Oliver is a game changer. Again, dont know what to tell you. 

Actually...I dont even know why I responded to this. It is obvious that you are a casual fan who looks at box scores and must not watch football/listen to those who study film league wide. Good day to you and GO BILLS! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.