Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Sounds like the resolution they're working towards is making the most reasonable of a suboptimal situation. Given the Bills had a terrible event out of their control occur and this is on the table- I'd take it. At least the Bills don't get "boned" completely like could have happened.

As said, for all intents and purposes we have lost at the Bengals. We have no control over the number one seed through no fault of our own and the benefits which go with it.

(Well, I guess it is our fault to an extent; if we hadn't lost to the Jets or Vikings...)

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This seems the most fair of all the options.

Sure, I'm guessing KC still gets the 1 seed if they go by winning percentages, but to give both home field AND the bye to a team that received it based on a traumatic event causing a game to be canceled is far too much of a gift in a league based on performance based results. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I never thought the league would seriously consider adding an 8th seed in all of the scenarios being discussed. But, if they go that route in the interest of fairness, shouldn't they also add an 8th seed to the NFC side of the bracket? Otherwise, you will give 1 team in the entire field a bye. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

I never thought the league would seriously consider adding an 8th seed in all of the scenarios being discussed. But, if they go that route in the interest of fairness, shouldn't they also add an 8th seed to the NFC side of the bracket? Otherwise, you will give 1 team in the entire field a bye. 

Any of the scenarios are pretty wild but adding an 8 seed to the AFC side seems like the whackiest.

• Agree 1

Hmm, the game is likely to be considered or end up a no-contest game, with Buffalo and Cincy finishing with 16 games and Schefter is now reporting that one possible option is to have one of the playoff games (the championship game) be played at a neutral location.

I seem to remember someone starting a thread late Monday/early Tuesday, suggesting close to as much concerning the 16 games and a neutral site (second round) game, but within 10 minutes or so the whole thread was deleted and as usual without explanation.

I guess maybe I should have said DiMaggio?

Still, I would be sort of fine with what Schefter is saying, but there are seeming options for the residing number 1 which need to be a little more clear.

20 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

If they add an 8th seed to each side, that will never go away is my prediction.  They will move to adopt that playoff format going forward.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This seems the most fair of all the options.

Sure, I'm guessing KC still gets the 1 seed if they go by winning percentages, but to give both home field AND the bye to a team that received it based on a traumatic event causing a game to be canceled is far too much of a gift in a league based on performance based results. 

Especially when they already lost to both the teams involved in that game.

20 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Really, they should re-do the NFC bracket with Philly, San Francisco, Dallas, and Minnesota and then give them the Jets, Steelers, Patriots, and Titans.  That's a better bracket than the slop the B-conference is putting out there.

Just now, Big Turk said:

If they add an 8th seed to each side, that will never go away is my prediction.  They will move to adopt that playoff format going forward.

I agree... there has to be big money in playoff expansion. Extra playoff games and more teams in the mix down the stretch. If this presents itself as the solution this season, I can't see them going back. 

Shefter was on ESPN just now talking about all the scenarios in the thread above.  He said any playoff changes will take a vote of all 32 owners, but ultimately the Commish will do whatever is in the best interest of the league.  He is almost certain now that the Bills/Bengals game from Monday night will never be played.  As a league source has indicated to him, the game has "bad mojo" and they just want to move on,,, move ahead, keep to the schedule,  get Damar healthy and not look back at that game.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

The worst option being considered would be playing a playoff game at a neutral site. That is a disservice to the fans of the playoff teams. I’d rather the Bills play at the opponent than agree to a neutral site.

Knowing the NFL, they'd probably play it in Munich or Mexico City.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

I agree... there has to be big money in playoff expansion. Extra playoff games and more teams in the mix down the stretch. If this presents itself as the solution this season, I can't see them going back. 

I dont love half the league making it... but I dont think Im a big fan of the #1 seed only getting such an advantage.  With 2 byes, it felt more balanced.  I like the # of teams, but not the format.  Maybe do 7 and have 7 play 6 in a play-in game in each conference in Week 19, while the other teams can rest up and prepare.  The quality of playoff games may improve.  Eliminate the week before the Superbowl, and/or start the season earlier

Edited by May Day 10

Here's my latest thought:

Assuming Bills KC, Bengals all win this week, that clinches division for Bengals

Week "19" No NFC playoffs, all have bye.  In AFC, Bengals Bills play game, plus 4 v 7 and 5 v 6 playoff games in AFC.  That then eliminates two teams in AFC and finalizes seedings.  Following NFC playoffs start and in AFC week #1 seed has bye and the 2 and 3 seed plays the winners from prior week. 

Only draw backs to this KC  could have two weeks off in a row if they get the #1 seed, but they would next play the lowest seeded team left, so oh well.  Plus two weeks off could even hurt them.  Only other unfair advantage would be if Bills win out and earn the #1 seed, then KC had a bye before their first playoff game.  But overall keeps most teams playing regularly.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thanks for keeping us updated. An 8th team would be wild. That basically ensures Miami makes it.

I think there's a scenario where the Titans, Jags, Steelers, Browns, Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots all finish tied at 8-9. If that happens, the Titans would win the South and the other 6 teams would be tied for 2 wildcard spots (assuming we add an 8th team). That's probably not a very likely scenario, but no matter what happens there should be a lot of scenarios added to the mix this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Here's my latest thought:

Assuming Bills KC, Bengals all win this week, that clinches division for Bengals

Week "19" No NFC playoffs, all have bye.  In AFC, Bengals Bills play game, plus 4 v 7 and 5 v 6 playoff games in AFC.  That then eliminates two teams in AFC and finalizes seedings.  Following NFC playoffs start and in AFC week #1 seed has bye and the 2 and 3 seed plays the winners from prior week. 

Only draw backs to this KC  could have two weeks off in a row if they get the #1 seed, but they would next play the lowest seeded team left, so oh well.  Plus two weeks off could even hurt them.  Only other unfair advantage would be if Bills win out and earn the #1 seed, then KC had a bye before their first playoff game.  But overall keeps most teams playing regularly.

That doesn't work.  Then you end up with three AFC teams after two weeks of playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I mean, as long as FIFA exists the NFL never needs to worry about being the most evil sports league.  But it's very on-brand for the NFL to turn a personal tragedy into a money-making opportunity.

At worst, the NFL is a distant 3rd behind the IOC and FIFA.  That says more bad about the IOC and FIFA than it says anything remotely positive about the NFL.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Announcing an 8 team playoff field today or tomorrow would make for a very exciting final weekend.  It would also ensure that the NFL's marquee Sunday night game (GB vs. Det) would be a win and in scenario for both teams. 

I’d love to see it. I’m sure the NFL would too. More revenue for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm frankly amazed at all of the hand ringing about this issue. I've heard almost nobody complain about the built-in advantage that half the teams get with a seventeen game schedule.  Aren't half the teams playing an extra home game when you have an odd number of games?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm frankly amazed at all of the hand ringing about this issue. I've heard almost nobody complain about the built-in advantage that half the teams get with a seventeen game schedule.  Aren't half the teams playing an extra home game when you have an odd number of games?

Sure but all teams in the each conference get the same number of home and away games.  This year the NFC got 9 home games and the AFC got 8.  It effectively has no effect on intraconference seeding for the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsrul120 said:

Sure but all teams in the each conference get the same number of home and away games.  This year the NFC got 9 home games and the AFC got 8.  It effectively has no effect on intraconference seeding for the playoffs. 

Thanks....I honestly didn't know that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

This is the Goodell way. Indecisive about any choice needed to be made before arbitrarily pulling a decision out of his ass on the fly.

That being said, it is still truly insane that they don't have some concrete rule regarding a game that cannot be played or made-up. An injury like we saw on Monday is extremely rare, but something like lightning taking out power in a stadium wouldn't be a wild occurrence. An event like that happening in the last week of the season would put them in a similar predicament.

JHC - once again - they have a rule - it has been posted several times across multiple threads.

The rule gives the commissioner in the case of a game that can not be played as scheduled 2 options:

1) find an available time and reschedule the game - per the rule - the preferred method if the outcome will impact other games.

2) Declare the game a no contest if due to circumstances and/or availability the game cannot be made up.

It grants the commissioner in consultation with league and teams the ability to determine which method is appropriate and grants discretion to make additional decisions as needed.

The league also has rules in place for unbalanced scheduled that were implemented for Covid of using win % to determine seeding in the event all games could not be completed.

Once again - the NFL has handled an unprecedented situation properly and has made the proper steps all along and people with no knowledge or understanding crap on the league and Goodell for no reason.

Just because they have not told you what is going on does not mean they are not actively working with the teams on a solution to fit this situation.

People complained about Monday night and we find out the league office was in contact with the teams and actively working with them and then decided nearly 30 minutes before the TV announcement that they needed to suspend the game completely.  This was noted by players showering and guys like Diggs leaving to head to the hospital.

In this case - they have options and the ideal one would b be to complete the game, but they realize that has major negative impact on the 2 teams and neither team is keen to relive the moment yet - so they are looking at the impact of call it a no contest and how can they balance out the impact it has on the teams.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

@ExiledInIllinois Idea of the AFC Championship being played on Neutral ground in Glendale Arizona is the best possible solution in my humble opinion.

if the AFC championship is between Cincy and Buffalo, i think Pittsburgh or Cleveland are about the same distance from each city. 

If its KC vs Buffalo, put it in Indy, or Cincy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.