Baldy's one breakdown from Bears game

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Just now, Success said:

Motor & Cook running effectively is absolutely the key to getting that elusive title, imo.  

The Bills are still largely seen as a 1-man team on offense.  That really can't be the case if we want to have a playoff run through the current AFC.

Let them think this all the way through the playoffs and maybe we catch a team off guard.  We can run the football.  We just dont.

• Like (+1) 8

Listening to Chris Simms’ preview of the game.  Didn’t want to make a new thread about it, so I’ll leave it here. 

two things stood out to me:  

He doesn’t think we can run on them at all due to DJ Reader.  If that’s the case, I think it’ll be a long day….. but I think we’ll have some success on the ground.  Just enough to get the W.  

He thinks Cinci will play a lot of play man.  I hope that’s the case.  Cam Taylor Britt or Eli Apple on Diggs?  17 should throw that way every time he’s in single coverage.  

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Success said:

Motor & Cook running effectively is absolutely the key to getting that elusive title, imo.  

The Bills are still largely seen as a 1-man team on offense.  That really can't be the case if we want to have a playoff run through the current AFC.

The Oline is better at run blocking than they are at pass blocking. The offense needs to lean into that if they want to win these games. Have to use the run to set up the pass

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Success said:

I agree.  We have to be able to make teams pay for selling out to stop 17.  The opportunities in the run game will be there.

That’s not taking the ball out of Josh’s hands.  That’s giving him another weapon.  A weapon that he doesn’t even have to swing.  

Going on a 3-4 playoff game win streak is going to be near impossible if 17 is the entire O.  Use the backs.  Both are good.

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  We have to be able to make teams pay for selling out to stop 17.  The opportunities in the run game will be there.

That’s not taking the ball out of Josh’s hands.  That’s giving him another weapon.  A weapon that he doesn’t even have to swing.  

Going on a 3-4 playoff game win streak is going to be near impossible if 17 is the entire O.  Use the backs.  Both are good.

Saffold and Brown are better run blockers than pass protectors. Morse is an effective pulling center. The right run calls should work. If our backs don’t have any holes it’s going to all be on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Listening to Chris Simms’ preview of the game.  Didn’t want to make a new thread about it, so I’ll leave it here. 

two things stood out to me:  

He doesn’t think we can run on them at all due to DJ Reader.  If that’s the case, I think it’ll be a long day….. but I think we’ll have some success on the ground.  Just enough to get the W.  

He thinks Cinci will play a lot of play man.  I hope that’s the case.  Cam Taylor Britt or Eli Apple on Diggs?  17 should throw that way every time he’s in single coverage.  

I like Chris Simms but when I hear his previews of the games.....sometimes I'm SMDH and let's just say, it doesn't necessarily work out that way.

DJ Reader is a great player.  Run defense can't be conducted by one player.   It's a group effort.

The Bengals are currently 29th in "run stop win rate" per ESPN.  27%.

The Bills had pretty good success (>150 yds) running against the Packers, Vikings, Browns, Lions, and Dolphins as well as the recent cleat-stomping of the Bears.  All those teams have better run stop win rates than the Bengals.

Now, some of them are pretty mediocre overall in rush Y/A given up - Bears, Browns, Packers, and Lions are 27-30th in rush Y/A given up. Vikings are 17th.  Dolphins are 12th.  Jets are 4th in the league and we ran for 134 yds during our first meeting.  Patriots #9 and we ran for 132 yds.

So...do I think we'll be able to run for 254 yds like we did against the Bears, vs the Bengals?  No.  No, I don't.  On the other hand...if it's not gale force winds, we shouldn't need to.  And I think it's optimistic to believe we won't be able to run on them at all.

I will say...Simms puzzles me with his "only have one guy who can separate against man coverage".  Now, I will say, this is where the refs matter.  If they let the DBs maul our guys all day, that could be true, but if they call some DPI and DH when merited, McKenzie can absolutely beat man coverage, it's zone that swallows him.  Even Josh has given him props for "he does that very well".

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bleed Bills Blue said:

I've never understood the disparaging comments thrown at DS on this site. He's a great teammate and valuable piece of the offense. I hope they find a way to sign him for next year. 

And Brown looks like a mauler when he gets up a head of steam!

I think/hope Motor stays.  Don’t break up the band.

I’m hoping he accepts $3.5 m.

Motorin'!

I've been a fan of Motor since he was drafted by the Bills, but I swear he looked quicker against the Bears, than I've seen in a while.

James Cook also seemed faster.

Hopefully a sign of good things to come!

(But may have only been an indicator of how bad Da Bears run defense is.)

Edited by Bad Things
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I like Chris Simms but when I hear his previews of the games.....sometimes I'm SMDH and let's just say, it doesn't necessarily work out that way.

DJ Reader is a great player.  Run defense can't be conducted by one player.   It's a group effort.

The Bengals are currently 29th in "run stop win rate" per ESPN.  27%.

DJ Reader missed most of week 3 and 6 games after that. The statistic you quoted is based on the whole season. When Reader plays their run defense is substantially better. He is arguably the best run stopping DL in the league, the type that actually can make a difference for the entire defensive effort. So Chris Simms is likely right, I doubt this is a game where we can lean on the run too much.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Success said:

Funny they have been 3rd in rushing at 164 yards a game over the last 7 weeks and Allen hasn't been running for 100 yards a week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bleed Bills Blue said:

I've never understood the disparaging comments thrown at DS on this site. He's a great teammate and valuable piece of the offense. I hope they find a way to sign him for next year. 

And Brown looks like a mauler when he gets up a head of steam!

Those disparaging comments are mostly from CMC stans still mad the Bills didn’t mortgage their draft to get him and people who don’t believe in numbers.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Let them think this all the way through the playoffs and maybe we catch a team off guard.  We can run the football.  We just dont.

To be fair, EVERY NFL offense should be able to run the ball against the 6-man boxes the Bills were facing much of last week. It's like an automatic check to the run when the defense lines up that way. I understand, in theory, why a defensive gameplan would include such light boxes pre-snap, but I do NOT agree that actually sticking to that plan both pre- AND post-snap while getting gashed on the ground is wise. 

No doubt Cinci will execute many 3 and 4-man rushes, often with a spy, while dropping the rest into mixed zone coverage schemes. I doubt they'll be so obvious with it, though. And I'm sure they will be MUCH more stout on the interior against the run, no matter the alignment, thereby making such an approach more effective. 

8 hours ago, Success said:

A running game helps you in so many different ways

It keeps an opposing office off the field, twiddling their thumbs

It chews clock whenever you have a lead

You’re a QB takes less hits

It forces defenses to play in the box opening things up downfield

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Success said:

There is no telling how dangerous Allen will be if he has a solid run game complimenting him.  The Bills are developing a nice set of weapons with Cook and Motor.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The only thing that gives me pause is that Chicago has a pretty bad defensive front.  I’d like to see what the Bills OL can do against a better defensive.  Hopefully the Chicago game will kickstart them

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Success said:

Cook goes by: "Himbo"

Motor & Himbo!

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea you have to attack this defense thru the air.  

Their best CB is out.  Their DEs are banged up and 1 is out.  

Running on the Bears is one thing.  The stats say when Reader plays you can’t run on them.   

Yet Kansas City ran for 138 yds on them, but passed for only 223 yds.  This was Week 13, DJ Reader played 73% of the snaps.

(138 yds is well above league average, KC's average, and the Bengals D average with Reader playing)

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Yet Kansas City ran for 138 yds on them, but passed for only 223 yds.  This was Week 13, DJ Reader played 73% of the snaps.

(138 yds is well above league average, KC's average, and the Bengals D average with Reader playing)

It’s the defense they play vs KC.  They will invite it and will test our patience.    

Will most likely be the same way they play us.

And KC didn’t exactly run its way to victory.  

Mahomes wasn’t very good - but all that said they were a missed FG (horrible call to kick it) and Kelce fumble away from it being a totally different finish.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The only thing that gives me pause is that Chicago has a pretty bad defensive front.  I’d like to see what the Bills OL can do against a better defensive.  Hopefully the Chicago game will kickstart them

Well I dont think we are going to run again like we did in Chicago.  Im just saying we can have some success running the football.  Both Motor and Cook have had some nice runs in a lot of games but we are a passing team.

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The only thing I can take away from this game is that Tyrod Taylor has better field vision and passing ability than Fields. I kept telling Bears fans all week to sign or draft a new QB after the season or you will be stuck in 3 years of hell like we were.

He look like a snobby ####### whenever they were asking him about Josh Allen before the game. I was not impressed with fields at all.

23 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Well I dont think we are going to run again like we did in Chicago.  Im just saying we can have some success running the football.  Both Motor and Cook have had some nice runs in a lot of games but we are a passing team.

I don’t think we’re going to run for 250 yards against the Bengals either but we really don’t need to. We have ran for over 100 yards in every game this season.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Motorin'!

I've been a fan of Motor since he was drafted by the Bills, but I swear he looked quicker against the Bears, than I've seen in a while.

James Cook also seemed faster.

Hopefully a sign of good things to come!

(But may have only been an indicator of how bad Da Bears run defense is.)

I agree.  They may have very well have looked, (And actually were) "quicker" and "faster" because on a near frozen field, the offensive player will have a greater advantage, (With regard to footing and the ability to respond / adjust) over his defensive counterpart. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.