Legend Franco Harris dead at 72

HOUSE

Wow just read this. I watched the new footage of the immaculate reception recently where you see the whole thing in one shot. Apparently the footage was in a vault at the Raiders head office but hasn't been released because it clearly shows the ball hitting the Raiders player first. At least that's what I read.

Anyway, how sad, and especially since it's the anniversary

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Well not the first https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ContentGallery/The-Pittsburgh-Steelers-retired-numbers-131827311/#:~:text=The Pittsburgh Steelers only have,by "Mean" Joe Greene.

He would have been third, but yes horrible news. Lots of my extended family is from Pittsburgh. Very sad group texts this morning 

I’ll take you and your family’s word. I got that info from WGR this morning 

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Wow just read this. I watched the new footage of the immaculate reception recently where you see the whole thing in one shot. Apparently the footage was in a vault at the Raiders head office but hasn't been released because it clearly shows the ball hitting the Raiders player first. At least that's what I read.

I thought the controversy was that the ball may have hit the ground before Franco scooped it up. That was before every stadium had 42 camera angles, so nobody's been able to prove it either way.

26 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I thought the controversy was that the ball may have hit the ground before Franco scooped it up. That was before every stadium had 42 camera angles, so nobody's been able to prove it either way.

No the controversy was if a Steeler WR was the one who touched the ball then another Steeler can't legally catch it. That was the rule then.  So the only way the catch is legal is if the ball hit the Raiders DB first.  From all the replays I have seen there is no way to tell who touched the ball first.  The ball clearly goes backwards at quite a speed and distance which would make it seem like it was the Raiders defender who hit the ball as the Steelers WR was coming across the field not towards the ball as the Raiders' defender was.

The other controversy is the refs huddled after the play and I'm pretty sure called NFL headquarters. There was no replay of course. The story goes that they asked about their security because if they ruled the catch was illegal they were afraid of the fans reactions and their safety.  Supposedly that is what a Raiders player overheard them saying.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Anyway, how sad, and especially since it's the anniversary

Just watched it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No Raider fans?  Wasn't that at the high point of the "Raider Mystique"?

That mystique is mostly manufactured hindsight and didn't exist in real time, imo.

They were my 2nd favorite team behind the Bills back then, but the vast majority of the country just hated them as a dirty team full of cast-off lunatics.

They're a fun story to look back on but at the time they were not well-loved.

That's sad to hear. That iconic #32 Jersey prompted me to wear it my Senior year in football. He touched so many lives on and off the field, and will definitely be missed. He had that "Leader" mentality, and he was a role model to many. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. RIP, Mr. Harris! 

Thanks for posting, House.

FRANCO - RIP !!  Some of the first football memories i have are of the Steelers during his time there they were some bad MO FO"S !! 

I only wish he would have been able to except his awards & such this coming week like they had planned it would have been nice to see him live once more he looked fine not to long ago wasn't he on the draft for them last year  🤔 ?

Any way great player will be missed but never forgotten !! 

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Very sad, I guess he has been sick for some time

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

So Crazy.  Mad Dog Russo had a live interview with Franco late yesterday afternoon.  I was listening to it.  They were talking about the immaculate reception of course and this coming weekend.  Franco sounded kinda' tired and was sniffling a bit but said at the beginning he felt good.  RIP.

Obviously don't know if he was sick in some capacity but remember guys. Life is short and precious. Too short to hold grudges and bad feelings towards friends and family that were a big part of our lives in some way, especially during the holidays. Talk, look past, forgive and make amends before it's too late. People can't hear what's on your mind and in your heart when there gone.

RIP Franco.😪 Looks like heaven will have their own Immaculate Reception when you show up.👍

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Very sad, I guess he has been sick for some time

House, this has probably been asked in the earlier pages of this thread and this is a bit rhetorical, but how the hell has his number not been retired by them yet?!

Jacka**es...what, you had to perseverate over this one, Steelers Owners/Admin?

Idiots.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No Raider fans?  Wasn't that at the high point of the "Raider Mystique"?

It was, but the Raiders couldn't beat the Steelers.

Just like the Rams couldn't beat the Vikings during that time period.

As for Franco Harris, I was able to see him play towards the end of his career and he still was playing hard. RIP, Sir.

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean he just scores to win a key playoff game on the last play and he flips the ball like he is flipping it to ref after being tackled.

He'd been there (i.e. the end zone) before.

Sad news. RIP. And it's crazy to me that they are retiring his # this weekend and it will be the first # in Steelers history to be retired...

Also came across the broadcast footage and an end zone shot I'd never seen before. 

I never knew how long Franco stayed in to block. He only released down field as Bradshaw was about to throw:

RIP to a legend and great guy as well...

He had just done an interview on Sirius XM a few hours before he passed away and sounded great. Apparently he spent all day Tuesday doing interviews, taking photos, and had a full week of appearances and events planned. From all accounts he seemed healthy, happy and energetic. 

Crazy how fragile life is.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

Well in the interview he did just hours before his death he said he “felt great”. So unless you’ve heard some inside info,  according to him, he felt great. 

He looked healthy in all the photos he took Tuesday as well and certainly had a packed schedule this week 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

It is pretty fascinating seeing footage like this of a historic play.  It's like the Zapruder film or something

I thought the exact same thing! Where has this film been for the past 5 decades? The play is so clear from this vantage point and even though B/W it almost looks fake! Pretty awesome that it exists!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.