Goodell hints at a 4 team European Division for the NFL in the near future...and wasn't joking.

Big Turk

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Also...I have to say that I watched Gaelic Football once on like ESPN 2 at 2am and I was totally hooked...I freaking cannot get enough of that and will watch it every time I can find it on. Super fun and interesting sport with some crazy rules that make it almost a cross between rugby, soccer and basketball.

Any YouTube replays of games?

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Because people looked at situations where guys did that and then had the ball knocked out and it "didn't look like a catch" to anyone who watched football regularly and shouldn't have been a catch but because of the rules, it was. They added things to try and ensure those catches didn't count but now they have made it so catches that would have counted before that should have under the same criteria of what looks like a catch don't count.

So it's just hard to find a balance especially as the game gets faster.

It is getting harder the more they try to favor offenses and certain players / teams with defenses players and unfavored players / teams pointing this out.  Especially bad in playoffs where it seems rules change and some teams seeming to be aware of changes and preparing players for it.

They need a show with NFL zebras acknowleding mistakes and vowing to better / more consistant games not burying it.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Doesn't specify where but I would assume London and a German city(Berlin/Munich) would have a team..

This would be pretty crazy if the NFL goes through with it, but they seem hell bent on world domination...they have invested huge amounts of time, effort, energy and most importantly money on growing the sport worldwide with all of the overseas games...

Goodell said it was clear London could support not only one team but likely two, citing fan support and multiple stadiums that are NFL ready.

But then the Commissioner took it another step. After Neil Reynolds jokingly asked for a European division, Goodell made it clear that the possibility is no joke.

“That’s part of what we’re doing, right?” Goodell said. “We’re trying to sort of see, could you have multiple locations in Europe where you could have an NFL franchise? Because it would be easier as a division.”

Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen by the next collective bargaining agreement.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodell-hints-four-team-160442596.html

And just like that the NFL dies and the IFL is born. 

I honestly wish they would stop the Euro garbage. Goodell is a clown.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

And 9h to Germany and most of Central Europe.  The bottom line compensation difference will also be massive - taxes in Europe are no joke.

45% in the UK for high earners. I only see B-rate players going there, unless the NFL agrees to pay part of their taxes.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

How many starting quality OT are there? We don't have 64 of them in the league now. Where can teams find another 8?

I don't think LT's are as valuable as they used to be in comparison to the rest of the OL. I am beginning to think Centers are the most valuable part of the OL. 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't think LT's are as valuable as they used to be in comparison to the rest of the OL. I am beginning to think Centers are the most valuable part of the OL. 

That’s absolutely not true 

the average number of nfl caliber centers to Tackles in each draft in not close after 5 year average

there are way more centers to develop than tackles

now center is absolutely super important but there are more college C, Guard center prospects than Tackle

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

Let's banish the Dolphins, Jaguars, Titans, Panthers to Europe. Bunch of garbage franchises and fan bases. 

Indy comes back to the AFC East, Texans to NFC South.

Put Baltimore in the East where they belong. Mafia was well-represented down there. Indy to the North. Give me a game in Baltimore every year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Put Baltimore in the East where they belong. Mafia was well-represented down there. Indy to the North. Give me a game in Baltimore every year.

I was actually going to say this and backed off it to simplify. 

Divisions right now should really have Balt east, Miami south, Indy north.

14 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Can the talent pool support another four teams. We all watched that debacle on Thursday night. There has been some really bad football on display the first four weeks and that’s without having to staff an additional 212 player positions plus practice squads.

The NFL has for years wanted to expand to 40 teams.  A few more in North America (despite CFL challenges) and in Europe, and they're there.

The talent level is there, for the most part.  A lot of nearly-there players just don't quite make a roster but would still be good eough if they did.  Stinkers like the Thursday night game are still very rare, and that particular one was down to Russell Wilson playing terribly, plus a lot of injuries, not to a lack of talent.  What will likely happen though is that there will be fewer really good, deep, talented teams across the board.

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I would bet the popularity is probably higher in London and maybe Manchester where they have played games and a good number of locals have gone to them over the years.

Germany is pretty football rabid too apparently, in comparison to Ireland...NFL Europe had 5 teams there and Ticketmaster said they could have sold over 3 million tickets to the 4 games coming up in Germany.

It's a slow build but it's definitely starting to gain momentum.

Still obviously plenty of places will not like it or will not accept it I am sure...

Kyle Brandt from GMFB said they were over in London and watching the Bills Dolphins game at a local bar and said the people there were loving it and super into the game...

Also...I have to say that I watched Gaelic Football once on like ESPN 2 at 2am and I was totally hooked...I freaking cannot get enough of that and will watch it every time I can find it on. Super fun and interesting sport with some crazy rules that make it almost a cross between rugby, soccer and basketball.

It is definitely different in London. When I first moved to London in 2006 running in to anyone who liked the NFL was rare. The international series started a year later and now it is extremely common. I know 8 people just in my immediate team at work who watch the NFL each week. Now most are not as big fans as I am, but the viewing figures continue to rise and the number of people who will ask me about the Bills if I am wearing Bills gear out and about.... in shops, cafes, on the tube tells me it has massively increased in popularity. 

I will say that while I think popularity is up generally across the UK on 15 years ago I don't think elsewhere it has quite had the same boom that it has in London. And to be honest some of that is demographics. Outside London I'd say the core fan base is still guys who got into it in the 1980s when it was first televised over here on free to air tv and then their offspring who have picked up the bug. 

As for European divisions. Meh. I am still sceptical that Goodell and the League actually want London franchises. I think they like to dangle the carrot and now will do the same to Germany... but they are seeing increased revenues from Europe already and I am not persuaded that the benefits outweigh the costs for them right now. If Jacksonville decided it wanted to move that would be one thing but I don't realistically see European expansion any time soon. But let me absolutely clear - a London team would have no issues selling out 8 home games. 

Personally my concern with any expansion is dilution of quality. I don't think the league can support 4 new teams at the moment and continue to produce interesting and reasonable quality games. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Is 4 even going to work?  If they add 1 new division (4 teams) then one conference has 16 teams and the other has 20?  How is that going to work, how are playoffs going to be adjusted, etc...

It almost seems like they'd need to add 8 for it to work?

I’ve guessed all along this is the NFL’s plan.  Build up a European Division, and then one surrounding the US.  For example, teams in Toronto, Mexico City, and two other cities in the Americas.  The talent will continue to be depleted as there are just not that many elite NFL caliber athletes.  IDC either way as long as the Bills stay in Buffalo.

The NFL is going to DK whatever they can to expand their business model whether any of us like it or not.

15 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

I grew up in Amherst, life long Bills fan.  But now I live in Europe. (Ireland).  I gotta tell  you guys,  "American Football" as it's known here is seen as a silly little sport.  They make fun of the padding (compared to Rugby which has no padding).   Also people here see it as having ….WAY too many commercials.  It's actually ridicouls the amount of commercials there are, when you compare it with a Premiere Leaguer   Soccer matchcks - and soccer is by far the biggest sport in Europe.   Games have NO commercials, except at halftime.  Imagine that.  The clock runs continuously.  So - as much as we love it, grew up with it and love the Bills, for people here it's  nothing more than a passing fancing; a silly game, with silly helmets.  Despite my trying to convince them otherwise!

yeah, but Soccer SUCKS!, so..

15 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Can the talent pool support another four teams. We all watched that debacle on Thursday night. There has been some really bad football on display the first four weeks and that’s without having to staff an additional 212 player positions plus practice squads.

1st things 1st, dump Jacksonville & the Chargers to Europe due to poor attendance here, have Carolina play half their games overseas then add 1 new franchise there. Then add 2 new teams stateside. 3 is better than 4 new teams..🤷‍♂️

Have to have 2 divisions 1 AFC 1 NFC to avoid an imbalance. More teams, more spots, more players, might water down the talent & therefore the product. The flight between Berlin & LA would be a joy. Looking forward to more of those compelling 9-12 score games (thanks Denver & Indy for that one).

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

18 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

I think that’s a REAL question and to me the answer is no. I was counting them up earlier this week and I see about 10 teams that need a QB just this coming year.  The product will be watered down if they try to go bigger.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

And just like that the NFL dies and the IFL is born. 

I honestly wish they would stop the Euro garbage. Goodell is a clown.

You think this is his idea?

10 hours ago, chongli said:

45% in the UK for high earners. I only see B-rate players going there, unless the NFL agrees to pay part of their taxes.

Combined, for most  it's more than that in the US for highest federal/state/local brackets.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

How would the draft work? If they draft US college players then those players have to move to foreign countries?

The one good thing would be expanding the player talent pool. There has to be capable talented football players out there in other countries.

Yeah pretty much. Same way when US players are drafted in the NBA, MLB or NHL to a Canadian team.

Edited by Big Turk

21 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

With the ease of travel (8 hours on a private jet where they can eat or sleep) it’s not that big of a deal anymore IMO. There will be difficulties, like getting players to actually want to sign with those teams. But if they have some inter-division games over there where they don’t have to travel to the states, I can see it working. 

Jet lag is a real thing though and there's plenty of people who don't sleep well on planes at all.

This is coming from a person who has lived in both Europe and Asia.

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Doesn't specify where but I would assume London and a German city(Berlin/Munich) would have a team..

This would be pretty crazy if the NFL goes through with it, but they seem hell bent on world domination...they have invested huge amounts of time, effort, energy and most importantly money on growing the sport worldwide with all of the overseas games...

Goodell said it was clear London could support not only one team but likely two, citing fan support and multiple stadiums that are NFL ready.

But then the Commissioner took it another step. After Neil Reynolds jokingly asked for a European division, Goodell made it clear that the possibility is no joke.

“That’s part of what we’re doing, right?” Goodell said. “We’re trying to sort of see, could you have multiple locations in Europe where you could have an NFL franchise? Because it would be easier as a division.”

Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen by the next collective bargaining agreement.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodell-hints-four-team-160442596.html

I could see Canada like MLB and the NHL, but Europe?

Edited by Billz4ever

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Jet lag is a real thing though and there's plenty of people who don't sleep well on planes at all.

This is coming from a person who has lived in both Europe and Asia.

I could see Canada like MLB and the NHL, but Europe?

NFL will not expand to Canada due to CFL and handshake agreement with them from what I have heard.

More than that, they offer anti-trust protection for the NFL and they don't want to potentially move to Canada and cause the CFL to fold as they are already on questionable financial footing.

Edited by Big Turk

3 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

The flight between Berlin & LA would be a joy. 

Give west coast teams a game on the east coast, then Europe the next week, then a bye week after their return.  Or, if they are playing the entire Europe division that year, fly over, play all the away games there, then fly back.  

22 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

With the ease of travel (8 hours on a private jet where they can eat or sleep) it’s not that big of a deal anymore IMO. There will be difficulties, like getting players to actually want to sign with those teams. But if they have some inter-division games over there where they don’t have to travel to the states, I can see it working. 

By 2026, a new supersonic jet is scheduled to go into service. Would be pricey, but could help. However, I think those teams would be at a distinct disadvantage and make the time difference difficult for West Coast/Mountain games viewers in Europe. 

22 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

The NFL is jealous of the global reach of the NBA. But basketball, like association football,  is a sport played all around the world. The NFL has to realise that gridiron football is like Australian Rules Football. The AFL is the most popular sport in Australia but only has a niche following elsewhere. 

NFL is bigger than the NBA.  And the NFL doesn't have $10 Billion invested in Communist China.  The reason for the NFL trying to grow in Europe has nothing to do with jealousy.  It has everything to do with simply making these billionaire owners more money. 

ESPN analysis: NBA owners, mum on troubled China relationship, have more than $10 billion invested there.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33938932/nba-owners-mum-china-relationship-more-10-billion-invested-there

22 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think the issue is transporting the entire crew that comes along with NFL teams when traveling. There's way more than just the players that have to be transported. 

Pretty sure it's somewhere around 150 people go with the team, coupled with all the equipment, clothing, & supplies. It's a huge operation to transport a team domestically, which all becomes a lot more complicated when traveling overseas.

23 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

I grew up in Amherst, life long Bills fan.  But now I live in Europe. (Ireland).  I gotta tell  you guys,  "American Football" as it's known here is seen as a silly little sport.  They make fun of the padding (compared to Rugby which has no padding).   Also people here see it as having WAY too many commercials.  It's actually ridicouls the amount of commercials there are, when you compare it with a Premiere League  Soccer match - and soccer is by far the biggest sport in Europe.   Games have NO commercials, except at halftime.  Imagine that.  The clock runs continuously.  So - as much as we love it, grew up with it and love the Bills, for people here it's  nothing more than a passing fancing; a silly game, with silly helmets.  Despite my trying to convince them otherwise!

This is all true, but a lot of it stems from typical anti-Americanism & nationalism.

American Football is more dangerous than Rugby, yet people pretend pads make it LESS violent. The name of the sport is also a sore spot, as they can't get over the fact we call this sport "Football." It's like the metric system or using Fahrenheit instead of Celsius... Americans are just stupid amirite?!

Even if none of these things are significant or impact their daily lives, it annoys them to an insane degree (measured in Celsius of course).

I can guarantee if they had their own NFL teams, the second one of them beat a US team, their pride would skyrocket & instantly generate interest. 😅

Edited by BigDingus

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As for European divisions. Meh. I am still sceptical that Goodell and the League actually want London franchises. I think they like to dangle the carrot and now will do the same to Germany... but they are seeing increased revenues from Europe already and I am not persuaded that the benefits outweigh the costs for them right now. If Jacksonville decided it wanted to move that would be one thing but I don't realistically see European expansion any time soon. But let me absolutely clear - a London team would have no issues selling out 8 home games. 

Remember current US model for NFL is dependant upon advertisers to pay for majority of revenue not fans.  Will that model work in Europe?

35 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Even if none of these things are significant or impact their daily lives, it annoys them to an insane degree (measured in Celsius of course).

They willl never take the economy size thermometer out of their asses.

22 hours ago, Motorin' said:

For what I've seen the biggest obstacle to growing the fan base among Europeans is that they don't know the rules. It's impossible to follow the NFL if you don't understand down and distance. What a pass is, and how you score.

And the whole "they wear pads it's a soft game" erodes very quickly. You'd probably be shocked by the amount of "European reacts to NFL biggest hits" videos there are on YT. 

This is so true. I can't tell you how many times YouTube has recommended me a "European reacts to NFL _____" video the past year or so... 

And the few I've clicked on, people seem genuinely excited & interested when watching (at least the younger crowd). There's probably a lot of untapped potential in the younger European market, but the issue would then be "how do you get kids to start playing?"

I've heard one of the biggest hurdles (aside from teaching the rules) is that American Football is nonexistent in their schools, so you'd need to invest in supporting local clubs of some kind for kids to participate in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

How would the draft work? If they draft US college players then those players have to move to foreign countries?

The one good thing would be expanding the player talent pool. There has to be capable talented football players out there in other countries.

Lmao if you combined England, Germany, France you’d maybe find 4 guys lol

they might have the size or speed but not the skill in American football 

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Comments I heard on so many commercials in US broadcasts.

But interest is already up watching it this way. Will there be a subsection of people who say the ads are too much? Sure. But the target for the NFL in the UK is to be the best of the rest behind the big sports - soccer, cricket, rugby etc

Edited by GunnerBill

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao if you combined England, Germany, France you’d maybe find 4 guys lol

they might have the size or speed but not the skill in American football 

There has been at least one European player in the NFL, remember Leif Larsen? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.