TNF - Colts @ Broncos Game Thread

Simon

Just now, Lost said:

I actually miss some of the low scoring games of the 90's that were just awesome defensive matchups.  But they usually involved big hits, great pass breakups and tackling.   This game had none of that.  

I couldn’t agree more. People are saying Wilson and Ryan looked bad…and they definitely did. Could it be that they ALSO need more time to recover and game plan, instead of playing on three days rest?  

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I couldn’t agree more. People are saying Wilson and Ryan looked bad…and they definitely did. Could it be that they ALSO need more time to recover and game plan, instead of playing on three days rest?  

Russ has been missing tons of opportunities all year so I’m not sure how much it had to do with short rest.  It’s hard to blame Ryan because he’s not a very mobile guy and his offensive line was dreadful last night 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah, that's probably true but the selfish part of me appreciates getting to watch football 3 nights a week instead of 2.   With the exception of Chargers-Chiefs, most of the matchups have looked rather bad probably for the reason you stated though

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Russ has been missing tons of opportunities all year so I’m not sure how much it had to do with short rest.  It’s hard to blame Ryan because he’s not a very mobile guy and his offensive line was dreadful last night 

Plenty of blame to around. One thing I noticed is the Indianapolis passing game looked an awful lot like the old Bills passing game. Everyone runs out seven yards and turn around! I’m not sure that works no matter what day of the week it is. 

7 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Lol!  My opponent had Russ, Sutton, AND Broncos kicker.  Last night went quite well, especially that final play 

Russ has been terrible in fantasy for a long time now...had him for a few years starting maybe 5 years ago and dude was boom or bust and would disappear for half the season.  Russ has "Bad Tyrod" games way too often for a franchise QB

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Too bad his QB wasn't "trying to process everything" a bit earlier.

The only thing I will say is, and this doesn't excuse Russ who doesn't even seem to have glanced, but the Broncs RT is about to get his ass whupped by whoever that is on the Colts edge - he's already holding and it's not going to be enough.

That said, the old Russ would have backpeded or ducked and spun and got his man.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not an X's and O's guy but I heard someone breaking it down and said if they show man, Hamler is the go to.  Looks like Russ made up his mind regardless that he's going to Sutton no matter what.

It was a pick play that worked.  Other receiver scraped off Hamler's guy.

Like I said, if you look at the RT he's lost; Russ is going to be throwing to Hamler (at that point) with an onrushing Tree in his face, hands up.

That said, I'd like to see the situation a bit earlier, because maybe Hamler was open earlier while the RT still had his man, and the DangerRuss of old would have backpedaled/spun and gotten Hamler.

• Like (+1) 1

There should be criminal prosecution against the Broncos and Colts after that game last night for being a crime against football.  Completely disjointed game that was unwatchable.

Realizing that was the Bills all too many times that looked like that during the drought years makes me happy we have Allen and company now.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

There should be criminal prosecution against the Broncos and Colts after that game last night for being a crime against football.  Completely disjointed game that was unwatchable.

Next week is the Bears and Commanders? That is another "winner" for TNF.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Next week is the Bears and Commanders? That is another "winner" for TNF.

Amazon is blowing up the phone with the NFL saying we need some flex help here....we didn't pay over $1 Billion a year for THAT.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

That trade for Russell Wilson is looking like it will set the Broncos back years. Is Wilson finished or is it just trying to adjust to new teammates and a new system.? Broncos fans better hope its the latter.

Maybe the Broncos can coax Marshawn Lynch out of retirement and also put back the legion of boom... the real stars of Seattles superbowl season.  Wilson was good but I think he has aged out of what made him special.  Now he is just average. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Russ is done.    I'm amazed how fast and far he's fallen.   

Great trade for the Seahawks, really dumb for the Broncos.

Done and universally hated by teammates, both college and pro. I don't think I have ever seen a "star" QB as hated as he is.  Even Cutler had his teammates that loved him like Brandon Marshall. Literally nobody likes Russ. Haven't heard a single player he has played with stick up for him or do anything to discredit all of the negative comments and stories players have told about him. If anything, they seem happy to pile on. Even offensive teammates like Doug Baldwin.

Pretty much the "Bo Callahan" of the NFL...funny that he was drafted by Seattle just like he was in the movie...basically he is a carefully crafted persona that is designed to "show him" to the fans and media in one way but it's all fake and his teammates hate him for it...on top of him being a snitch and telling coaches about what was going on and what people were saying about them.

Richard Sherman was literally giddy after the game on the Amazon set talking about how Russ sucked. He couldn't even contain himself.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Amazon is blowing up the phone with the NFL saying we need some flex help here....we didn't pay over $1 Billion a year for THAT.

Its a shame because Amazon actual put together a great program.  I love seeing all 22 when I want.  I love seeing live next gen stats.  The talk show hosts are good.  Just the football games themselves suck.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Its a shame because Amazon actual put together a great program.  I love seeing all 22 when I want.  I love seeing live next gen stats.  The talk show hosts are good.  Just the football games themselves suck.

Their kickoff game between the Chiefs and Chargers was a great game, but the others...ugh.  Brutal.

• Agree 1

Wilson and Ryan both looked totally washed up. The only thing Colts can say is that their gave up a lot less for Ryan than what Broncos had to give. 

Watching the game was at once a painful and humorous experience. Painful to see how far the once good QBs have fallen. Hilarious in the incompetence of both teams. 

Another note on the Broncos is that much as Wilson has sucked , Hackett is in way over his head. Not only should he be shown the door but also the guys who hired him should have consequences. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You can think so (and I agree with the next week as well) but I think it has a lot to do with the short week, travel, recovery, and lack of preparation.  Football isn’t like the other major sports. These teams need more time to plan and recover. I know it’s all about making a buck but the product and brand are suffering. They need to make Thursday night a second half of the season event after teams start having their bye weeks. (My two cents.)

Thursday night football is a joke; a poor product and an affront to the football gods and for all the reasons you cite here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If you can find me one former teammate that likes Russ and has good things to say about him, I'll show you the first former teammate that has good things to say about him and who likes him.  He is universally hated by them.  Going back to college.

Edited by Big Turk

34 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Russ is done.    I'm amazed how fast and far he's fallen.   

Great trade for the Seahawks, really dumb for the Broncos.

They have to get rid of Hackett and get real coaches in there. Only way they are ever going to get any return on their investment in Russ.

Yes, a LOT of this is on Wilson, but I think his confusion and lack of confidence starts from the top.

With the new owner coming in, he certainly has the opportunity to cut Hackett. We'll see.

Edit: And yes, with the performance they are getting out of Geno Smith, Carroll looks like an absolute GENIUS right now.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They have to get rid of Hackett and get real coaches in there. Only way they are ever going to get any return on their investment in Russ.

Yes, a LOT of this is on Wilson, but I think his confusion and lack of confidence starts from the top.

With the new owner coming in, he certainly has the opportunity to cut Hackett. We'll see.

Edit: And yes, with the performance they are getting out of Geno Smith, Carroll looks like an absolute GENIUS right now.

They are stuck with Wilson for the next at least 5 years I believe.  Anything before that is a gigantic dead cap. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Wilson and Ryan both looked totally washed up. The only thing Colts can say is that their gave up a lot less for Ryan than what Broncos had to give. 

Watching the game was at once a painful and humorous experience. Painful to see how far the once good QBs have fallen. Hilarious in the incompetence of both teams. 

Another note on the Broncos is that much as Wilson has sucked , Hackett is in way over his head. Not only should he be shown the door but also the guys who hired him should have consequences. 

I will say for Ryan that he did lay it all out there for that one, he might not have it anymore but he fought like hell on this one.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Bledsoe actually had one promising year here where he looked like "The Man" before the cliff edge rushed up underneath him

Bledsoe in Buffalo, year 1: The Man.

Bledsoe in Buffalo, year 2: The Statue.

(aka 'Frankenstein' with no knee joints.) 😁

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep. Russ will stay. Hackett has to go. They dont really have a choice.

Yep, they are stuck with Wilson.  What a disaster.  It's now been almost two whole seasons since he played well.  I think it's pretty safe to say the Broncos mortgaged their future for a bum.  They just can't get QB right...doesn't matter how many good players they draft.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They are stuck with Wilson for the next at least 5 years I believe.  Anything before that is a gigantic dead cap. 

2022 $124,000,000

2023 $107,000,000

2024 $85,000,000

2025 $49,600,000

2026 $31,200,000

2027 $12,800,000

2028 $4,400,000

POTENTIAL OUT: 2026, 4 YR, $161,000,000; $31,200,000 DEAD CAP

Those are all the dead caps.  That team is screwed.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was actually rooting for that game to end in a tie. If any game deserved to end in a tie, it was that one. Neither team deserved to win!

man, these Thursday and Monday night games so far this year have been pretty boring. Next Thursday will probably be no different. Chicago vs Washington. 🤢🤮

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s a little too much for me. We’re attacking Russell Wilson the person because he’s struggling?

I understand it all comes with being a franchise QB in the NFL but I don’t think Wilson missed Hamler because of his off field persona.

The media loves to build you up and tear you down. 

Matt Ryan is also struggling in a new offense. I don’t think the headlines would be the same if the Colts lost.

Matt Ryan isnt the 2nd  highest paid QB in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

2022 $124,000,000

2023 $107,000,000

2024 $85,000,000

2025 $49,600,000

2026 $31,200,000

2027 $12,800,000

2028 $4,400,000

POTENTIAL OUT: 2026, 4 YR, $161,000,000; $31,200,000 DEAD CAP

Those are all the dead caps.  That team is screwed.

And not only that, he’s supposedly not a good lockerroom guy either.  Oy vey.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I will say for Ryan that he did lay it all out there for that one, he might not have it anymore but he fought like hell on this one.

Respectfully disagree. He was incredibly indecisive and just chucked the ball many times without a specific receiver in the vicinity. He is done, finished. 

47 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I actually see these bad team matchups as a good thing.  Most of these ugly games and bad teams get hidden every Sunday,

with only the local fans having to deal with it.  If yesterday's game was played on Sunday no one would be talking about it.

It is a good thing for the fans of these bad teams to be in the spotlight.  It will light a fire under ownership down to coaches and players.

Look what the Colts have done with their organization.  While not anything as bad as the Wilson trade, the Ryan deal was stupid too.

Next week's game between the Bears and Commanders is the same.  Perpetual suffering fan bases causes by bad ownership and mismanagement.

There's a tweet out there from someone saying "This is one of the worst games I have EVER seen that involved BOTH starting quarterbacks, an NO bad weather." 

Think about that!  It's a fair statement.  No backups, lovely weather...just terrible football!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.