So, what's up with Tim Settle?

Rubes

Maybe next to Von Miller, this is maybe the one new guy I've been looking forward to watching the most and seeing what he can do for our defense. Not necessarily because he'll have the largest impact, but just because it seems like his potential is huge and he brings so much excitement and energy to the D-line. His game against Indy was very promising.

Nevertheless...he already had a groin injury that kept him out of camp a few days, and now he has what seems like an unspecified calf injury that has kept him out of the last two preseason games, and he's still only working alone on the side per reports.

Everybody deals with injuries here and there, but he's now lost a lot of practice time this summer and it's not clear how long he'll continue to be out. Could this be an early achilles problem? Has anyone heard anything about it? I don't recall seeing anything or reading any updates recently. Obviously he's not being put on PUP or IR anything like that, but I feel like he's a huge part of our plans for the D-line this year and it just doesn't seem like a great sign for his availability during a long season...

I was very impressed with his hand work in the little we saw him play.  

He looked real good against Indy so I share your enthusiasm

As for injury stuff.. Im thinking the Bills just don't need to see anymore and want him feeling his best at the start of the season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say he played well enough that he made the team despite missing two preseason games.

Of course, just concerned about him missing so much practice time without him seeming to make significant progress in quite some time.

He wasn’t injury prone in Washington.  Injuries happen with linemen.  I’m not concerned at all.

He was great when used in Washington. We have a history of Protecting from soft tissue injuries so this team will get it worked out.  He’s a keeper.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Maybe next to Von Miller, this is maybe the one new guy I've been looking forward to watching the most and seeing what he can do for our defense. Not necessarily because he'll have the largest impact, but just because it seems like his potential is huge and he brings so much excitement and energy to the D-line. His game against Indy was very promising.

Nevertheless...he already had a groin injury that kept him out of camp a few days, and now he has what seems like an unspecified calf injury that has kept him out of the last two preseason games, and he's still only working alone on the side per reports.

Everybody deals with injuries here and there, but he's now lost a lot of practice time this summer and it's not clear how long he'll continue to be out. Could this be an early achilles problem? Has anyone heard anything about it? I don't recall seeing anything or reading any updates recently. Obviously he's not being put on PUP or IR anything like that, but I feel like he's a huge part of our plans for the D-line this year and it just doesn't seem like a great sign for his availability during a long season...

I think its more they are being cautious with a player expected to play a relevant role this season.  Its just preseason, and he had a good camp and preseason when he played.  They already knew what they had him, no need to push him through minor injuries.  

A lot of these injuries guys get during camp and preseason are ones they could play through if it was during the season or playoffs.  But there is no need to risk a bigger injury at this time of year.  

Different when its a player they aren't sure on, then practice and playing time matter more and can be the difference in making the team and not making the team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Rubes   I agree with most here
Bills know what they have in Tim Settle
No need to mess around in preseason etc,
Some guys are pros and know their job and know how to communicate both ways when the they line up.

I have some sincere belief and hope this guy will be better than expected in the middle in his role

Go Bills

58 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Dude's gonna be a Beast!

Looking forward to this starting DL.  Miller, Oliver, Settle and Rosseau

Can this line dominate and stop the run game.  Can we stop getting abused by good runners such as Henry and Taylor and even Harris. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think its more they are being cautious with a player expected to play a relevant role this season.  Its just preseason, and he had a good camp and preseason when he played.  They already knew what they had him, no need to push him through minor injuries.  

A lot of these injuries guys get during camp and preseason are ones they could play through if it was during the season or playoffs.  But there is no need to risk a bigger injury at this time of year.  

Different when its a player they aren't sure on, then practice and playing time matter more and can be the difference in making the team and not making the team.  

Cautious, yes...but I do think there is a difference between holding guys out of preseason games and someone not practicing at all for a couple of weeks and only working solo on the side apart from everyone else. There's cautious, and then there's...this. I mean, even Poyer was back in team drills.

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I was always worried that we may have settled for Tim 

Alright, settle down everyone with the puns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Aka toradol isn't for preseason?

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Looking forward to this starting DL.  Miller, Oliver, Settle and Rosseau

Can this line dominate and stop the run game.  Can we stop getting abused by good runners such as Henry and Taylor and even Harris. 

Taylor and Henry abuse everyone.   Overall we did OK against the run last year, the focus is on stopping the strong passing teams by getting more pressures, hurries, disruptions, sacks.  When you have a team that scores 30 points a week, it usually forces other teams to have to pass in order to win.

I also liked DaQuan Jones he is one strong mfer in there.  Bullrush and motor, keeps his head low and seemed really effective in camp, so he should help to keep Settle fresh.

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

gee, I wonder why they're not playing a veteran in pre-season games. 

8 hours ago, Malazan said:

gee, I wonder why they're not playing a veteran in pre-season games. 

Way to not read or understand the situation described. Strong work.

I said this in the thread when he got hurt, but Calf injuries for Dlineman is not good.  It lingers for a very long and really hampers their play.  The injury was very concerning when it happened, and for him to not be practicing yet, points to something that isn't minor.  He will play in a few weeks (Probably will miss week 1), but re-injuring and hampered play will be a huge concern.

Between Settle being banged up and knowing they kept 5 DT's on the 53 last year, I thought sure they'd keep a 5th DT.

I know Rousseau and Basham to an extent can come inside at times, but they feel slim at the position now.

I assume they'll try and bring a guy or two back to the PS, but it seems a hair risky with Settle not practicing much. If he was missing games, but still participating in team work, it would be one thing, but I don't think he's practiced since the first pre-season game.

14 hours ago, Rubes said:

Cautious, yes...but I do think there is a difference between holding guys out of preseason games and someone not practicing at all for a couple of weeks and only working solo on the side apart from everyone else. There's cautious, and then there's...this. I mean, even Poyer was back in team drills.

Fine, its settled

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rubes said:

But, But, with his injuries this preseason, we weren’t able to bring our great ‘settle’ puns! Now we’re gonna have to bring ‘em in the Regular Season!
-unless, God forbid,  he gets hurt  ‘OH NO!😲Settle Down!’

15 hours ago, Rubes said:

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.