Bills Sign former Titan OT/OG David Quessenberry

MAJBobby

After reading what the OP had for a link i feel he is something that McD & Beane like to have in their back pocket a versatile veteran back up that can help the younger guys & i think he will be the guy over Hart going into the season .

I believe the Bills O line led by Kromer this year will be a strength of the team and get even better as the year goes on & just like last season will be playing their best ball late in the season when it counts !! 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

With this signing, I still think they may take an OL in the top four rounds but now I'm thinking they take four of these 5 positions - CB first round and then in no particular order - WR, , S, NT.  

I mostly agree but I can't see them going interior D-line.

Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Jordan Phillips, Timothy Settle, Eli Ankou, Brandin Bryant... it seems we're set here unless someone becomes disproportionately available.

As for Quessenberry and the O-line, it's hard to project the puzzle pieces but so much of that is dictated by injuries anyways. When the smoke clears I believe they'll be an improved unit and that's all that matters.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am def not complaining we need a vet on the roster that can start at both OG and OT just in case.

Fills another draft hole.

I think you need 7 OL of starter quality for 17 games plus playoffs.

10 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

I don't know much about anything but that's a lot of snaps and little pens.

Can you get credited for a sack allowed if you were holding on a play?

I don't think so. I believe it is either a sack or a penalty, not both.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't think so. I believe it is either a sack or a penalty, not both.

Then those numbers look pretty good.

I imagine there are heaps of top rated O-Liners with high penalty numbers and low sack allowed numbers, because their holding prevented the sack they were going to allow anyway!

I think it makes him look heaps better. Just reduce the sack allowed by 25% and keep pens low and he could be really useful

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:53 PM, JoPoy88 said:

1. not all grades are subjective. Certain grade can be assigned based on measurable qualities.

2. if PFF made readily available the qualifications of their “graders” so we could make a better determination of their expertise, I’d be less inclined to criticize them. As it stands, that info doesn’t appear to be available.

You know who seems to trust PFF grades? The Bills.

I'm not saying they're using PFF, but it appears that their pro scouting is pretty much in line with PFF's.

Every OL free agent signing has been a guy PFF liked better than the in-house option (I'm including Bates here because he is both - PFF liked him a whole lot better than the guys who got the majority of the snaps last year). The pure "counting stat" of sacks allowed makes Quessenberry seem like a awful choice, but the Bills are trusting PFF (type) grading rather than that staggering number.

It'll be interesting to see if the Bills/PFF got it right.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

A few excerpts from the Buffalo News article on David Quessenberry:

• A 6-foot-5, 310-pounder, Quessenberry started all 17 games in the regular season last year for the Titans, in addition to the team's playoff game against Cincinnati. In 2020, he appeared in 12 games for Tennessee, starting six times.
  • Quessenberry, 31, has traveled a remarkable road to arrive in Buffalo. Originally a sixth-round draft pick of the Houston Texans in 2013, he played in two games as a rookie before his career was put on pause. In June 2014, Quessenberry was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Amazingly, he beat the odds and made an emotional return to the field in December 2017.
  • Quessenberry comes from a football family. His dad, David Sr., played for the Naval Academy, as did his brother, Paul. Additionally, his youngest brother, Scott, is currently an offensive lineman for the Texans.
  • Quessenberry figures to compete for the swing tackle job as the primary backup to starters Dion Dawkins and Spencer Brown. He has experience playing on both sides of the line, as his six starts in 2020 came at left tackle after Taylor Lewan was injured for the Titans.
  • Analytics website Pro Football Focus had a favorable review of Quessenberry’s play in 2021. He ranked tied for 14th out of 57 tackles who played at least 633 offensive snaps, with a grade of 80.6 (out of 100), according to PFF. For comparison, Dawkins was the Bills’ highest-rated tackle, and he ranked tied for 17th.
  • Quessenberry excelled as a run blocker, with an overall grade of 89.1 that ranked fourth in the league. However, his pass blocking left plenty to be desired, according to PFF. His 61.6 grade in that category ranked 42nd. Quessenberry was also charged by PFF with allowing 11 sacks, which led the league.

He is your swing tackle if the draft doesn't allow them to address that spot. And he can play and not be a liability at either tackle spot should we need it. Anything that keeps Tommy Doyle further away from needing to take a meaningful snap at tackle in a football game is good with me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, Beast said:

He's coming from Tennessee that was one of the more run heavy teams out there. If he gets significant playing time he will be pass blocking more than he ever has.

I'm not doing flips over this signing but at the same time I'm not saying it's going to be a big problem, though I will admit I don't expect much out of him.

Just got to keep the perspective that he has started alot of NFL football and is a great run blocker who was brought here to be a backup. Doyle came in near the goaline and a bit when they went to 6 offensive linemen I believe, hoping this guy really helps in those roles. Roger Saffold, this guy, and Spencer Brown are all good run blockers hopefully when we are up on teams  and want to.run clock or down around the goal line we just got alot more physical upfront.

• Agree 1

His contract details are on Sportrac.

1,750,000 cap hit

400,000 dead cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/david-quessenberry-12458/

So not a minimum contract like Hart, Mancz or Boettger. Seems like he has a bigger shot on making a roster.

Right now I'd say it looks like Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown with Quessenberry, Doyle, draft pick and Ford/Mancz on the bench.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Agree 1

Will the offense line be disciplined enough to substitute when they need to go from pass first to run first without losing the ability to make the plays when they do not expect it like throwing to a TE with run first OL or running for first downs when pass first OL is in?  That is the Nirvana of offense lines but it requires good scouting of opponents and discipline not taking bad penalties   Bills used to have a third OT who played regularly as swing tackle and it was best role for him for he did not stay healthy when forced to multiple games full time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.