Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

I have run 100 mocks on at least 5 different sites and there won’t be a starting CB2 available if you wait beyond early round 2. So if they don’t pick it in Round 1, Bills must use assets to move way up in Round 2. 85% of the top 32 CBs in the league are round 1 draftees, so the whole narrative that we can draft some guy in later rounds and McD them into a really good corner is not supported by data. Picking BPA is what you do when you are building a good roster or depth. When you have a glaring need to win a Super Bowl, you fill that need at all costs, even if it means you have 4 guys rated better. 

You say "85% of of the TOP 32 CBs" are 1st round draftees. But if you are shopping for a CB2 ("TWO") doesn't that open the field up? Did you look to see where  CB 2's have been drafted?

6 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Need. Lol.

if CB is BPA then absolutely. If it’s not, then nope.

It is our biggest need. Tre isn't supposed to come back until mid season. When he does it will take time to get back up to the level we are used to seeing from him. He hasn't played since last Thanksgiving. No training camp, no preseason, and missing the first couple of months of the season. Right now Dane Jackson is our #1 CB. No disrespect to Dane but he can't be our #1. CB is a need and I think that is where the Bills will go in Rd 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Beane tries to move up if there is a player he really wants and doesn't think he will be there at 25.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Depends on the players available….but yes, cornerback is a viable option at the moment.  Still time left to sign FAs, so that can change.  If we sign gilmore, I’d prefer to go O

that's a very valid take.  Their draft board being so privately kept  info its anybodies guess how those positions slot out in best player available

But Another major free agent signing still? OH MY.......but it wouldn't surprise me. The cap is a creature that Overdorf just makes Work....its a mystery HOW but he does!  Clearly!~! Gilmore back in wny eh? hmmm

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

This year they need to trade up to make sure the right guy is there.

They don't have the roster spots to make use of a bunch of rookies anyway, and we really don't want them starting the season with Dane Jackson and Siran Neal as the starters, do we??

With the caveat that free agency still offers possible CB2 solutions, I agree that a trade up for a CB is what would need to happen.  The main reason is that every team would believe that we are drafting a CB.  One team would jump us for any one worth our pick.  So it wouldn’t need to be a huge move up, but it would need to be a move up. 

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

This year they need to trade up to make sure the right guy is there.

They don't have the roster spots to make use of a bunch of rookies anyway, and we really don't want them starting the season with Dane Jackson and Siran Neal as the starters, do we??

Beane has a habit of trading up for players he wants so it wouldn’t surprise me though I don’t see him going up too high/giving up too much in this case.

side note I don’t think they will take mcduffie, i see him mentioned a lot. he projects to a slot corner with those short arms. This regime has a type at CB and short arms are not part of that. I could see them trading up a few spots for Booth or stingley in the first or trading up in the 2nd for woolen. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

We took Tre at the bottom of the 1st. That has worked out I would say. If there is one thing I trust McDermott and Beane to get right, it is their evaluation of DB's. Tre White, Taron Johnson, and even getting what they got out of a UDFA in Wallace. Jackson, though not All Pro, did admirable being thrust into the starting lineup when Tre went down. I fully expect us to come out of this draft with a couple of CB's that will contribute. Whether one of those come in the 1st or not, I'll trust they know what they're doing. 

Toss in the 90s we seemingly took CB at the end of the 1st year after year after year with Thomas Smith, Jeff Burris and then Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements etc. 

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

With the caveat that free agency still offers possible CB2 solutions, I agree that a trade up for a CB is what would need to happen.  The main reason is that every team would believe that we are drafting a CB.  One team would jump us for any one worth our pick.  So it wouldn’t need to be a huge move up, but it would need to be a move up. 

With all the money we're spending we may need to keep our picks to get cheap depth to develop especially with guys like Poyer, Hyde aging and Stafford on a one year rental. 

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It's our biggest need by far. I could see them double-dipping at the position like we did last year with Rousseau/Basham.

Hopefully we could still get a receiver like Khalil Shakir in the 3rd.

Hopefully we willl triple dip, or even quadrouple dip.

I am all in for trading next years top picks to move up only a few slots for the chance to draft even 5 or 6 corners. Like the great GM Marv Levy said, "you can't have too many corners."  This is especially true when a team plays a zone defense that doesn't require super athletic corners.

• Haha (+1) 1

In my review of "Mocks" it appears to me that Minnesota is the fulcrum.   If the Vikes go CB (often McDuffie) I think BBB will have to decide if Gordon or Elam are worth the reach.  In the mocks, when Minnesota goes DL there is often one of the top CBs for the Bills at 25.   

I am certain that the Bills have a strategy for various scenarios but in its most basic form that is how I see things developing on the night of the first round, with Minnesota being the key to one of the top 4 (usually Booth) being available.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Hopefully we willl triple dip, or even quadrouple dip.

I am all in for trading next years top picks to move up only a few slots for the chance to draft even 5 or 6 corners. Like the great GM Marv Levy said, "you can't have too many corners."  This is especially true when a team plays a zone defense that doesn't require super athletic corners.

Why bother when you have the best safety tandem in the league back there? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check out the "Poyer changes agents" thread to see what all the hub-bub is about...

• Haha (+1) 1

When you’re picking as low down the draft as the Bills are their war room has to be very fast to react. There are 24 variables to the math equation before you even get your chance up at the chalkboard. So it all comes down to who’s picked who ahead of you. Everybody knows their positions of need. They have to be thinking not just about Pick 25 but also the pick after that. There’s no simple answers. That’s what makes it interesting.

5 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree for sure, my fear is that if we sit put at #25, the guys I covet, and feel could step in from day one and start opposite Tre, Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Booth, will all be gone.  

I'm praying Beane gets aggressive and moves up and goes after Sauce.  If you're gonna move up, go big and go after the cream.  Sauce has the potential to be even better than Tre, with dreamlike measurables, and if i read it correctly, he NEVER allowed a touchdown?? Jesus. 

Then for the sake of double dipping, I move up again in the 2nd and grab Watson.  Draft grade, regardless of remaining picks, A+.

IDK about double dipping, but moving up to one of the Giants spots to get Gardner is a good call.

Getting a zone CB which is Gardner is a great fit for us.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

In my review of "Mocks" it appears to me that Minnesota is the fulcrum.   If the Vikes go CB (often McDuffie) I think BBB will have to decide if Gordon or Elam are worth the reach.  In the mocks, when Minnesota goes DL there is often one of the top CBs for the Bills at 25.   

I am certain that the Bills have a strategy for various scenarios but in its most basic form that is how I see things developing on the night of the first round, with Minnesota being the key to one of the top 4 (usually Booth) being available.  

Havent heard woolen mentioned in this thread yet.  Just a couple notes.  I think he is the best athlete at the position this year (RAS has him best ever, though no agility scoring).  He has only played the position for 2 years.  Marino says hes very hungry when hes talked to him at combine and on Draft dudes.

So hes a player with traits, went to senior bowl, new to position so tons of upside, fits the prototype at the position for Bills, and wants to be coached up (something we say McD is good at).  Its a "reach" but only cause he doesnt quite know how to play the position yet.  If you have confidence he can learn I think he could have a first round grade.  Much of this sounds like Rousseau and I think theres a lot of the signs to say we would be interested at 25.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

I was interested to know if anyone has a position preferance year to year (Need for Franchise QB not included)? Mine was never draft or WR or DB in the first round because those positions in the 90' and probably up to the early 2000's where positions that took time to develope.

We spent high picks to develope player who became amazing by thier 4th year and we couldn't afford that luxery.

Just wondering if any of you felt the same way, these positions are way more pro ready TODAY and you spend a day 1 pick to get results during most of the rookie contract?

Remember all those soon to be probowl WR and Corners that left the year of thier prime? To me I saw the meat head O-line & D-line guys were the "stick around type" some were really hard to get rid of lol. The Diva WR and Corners were off getting paid. (Not that is anything wrong with that).

All that being said, is a 1st round corner a good idea? Starting to think so, interested in other ideas

I would like to see 2 DB's and one WR/playmaker in the first 3 rounds.  No concern regarding the order, I trust Beane to target the best fits for this team.  (I said playmaker, because someone like Breece Hall would be great as well.)

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It is our biggest need. Tre isn't supposed to come back until mid season. When he does it will take time to get back up to the level we are used to seeing from him. He hasn't played since last Thanksgiving. No training camp, no preseason, and missing the first couple of months of the season. Right now Dane Jackson is our #1 CB. No disrespect to Dane but he can't be our #1. CB is a need and I think that is where the Bills will go in Rd 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Beane tries to move up if there is a player he really wants and doesn't think he will be there at 25.

2 Things that I think are very important.

1) Your statement Tre will not come back until mid season - where is that coming from.  Sal and the other reporters covering the Bills on a regular basis all say McDermott and Beane have said that he is progressing ahead of schedule.  Sal has repeatedly said that the expectations are he is ready for the first game - although a set back could change that.  I have seen nothing but fans speculating on him missing 1/2 a season.

2) You do realize that Dane was our #1 CB for every game after Thanksgiving right and we still ended up with the top passing defense in the NFL.  Dane slid into Tre’s role for the most part allowing Levi to remain in his role and Levi was still the bigger problem.

Beane may move up, he may not.  They may think that Dane in that role along with a veteran and Tre coming back is more than enough.  They may think that Tre will be ready Game 1 and that Dane and Cam can fill the roles with help from Johnson and Neal.

I think (and everything I have heard from the beat reporters) are the Bills feel they are better at DB than the fans and that there is room for improvement, but that is not the only spot and they might fill with later picks as has been their norm.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would like to see 2 DB's and one WR/playmaker in the first 3 rounds.  No concern regarding the order, I trust Beane to target the best fits for this team.  (I said playmaker, because someone like Breece Hall would be great as well.)

I'd like to see a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round, and possibly a tackle as well.  Our oline depth is super thin at the moment, and its a high injury position.  Our #1 investment needs to be better protected behind it, and it was the #1 culprit in the run game struggles all year long.  Our left guard is a 34 year old free agent signing, and our right guard has started like 6 career games (all at left guard).  Dane Jackson has played (and started) more than Bates, and people want to run him off the roster.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.