Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

I was interested to know if anyone has a position preferance year to year (Need for Franchise QB not included)? Mine was never draft or WR or DB in the first round because those positions in the 90' and probably up to the early 2000's where positions that took time to develope.

We spent high picks to develope player who became amazing by thier 4th year and we couldn't afford that luxery.

Just wondering if any of you felt the same way, these positions are way more pro ready TODAY and you spend a day 1 pick to get results during most of the rookie contract?

Remember all those soon to be probowl WR and Corners that left the year of thier prime? To me I saw the meat head O-line & D-line guys were the "stick around type" some were really hard to get rid of lol. The Diva WR and Corners were off getting paid. (Not that is anything wrong with that).

All that being said, is a 1st round corner a good idea? Starting to think so, interested in other ideas

18 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It's our biggest need by far. I could see them double-dipping at the position like we did last year with Rousseau/Basham.

Hopefully we could still get a receiver like Khalil Shakir in the 3rd.

Need. Lol.

if CB is BPA then absolutely. If it’s not, then nope.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

I have run 100 mocks on at least 5 different sites and there won’t be a starting CB2 available if you wait beyond early round 2. So if they don’t pick it in Round 1, Bills must use assets to move way up in Round 2. 85% of the top 32 CBs in the league are round 1 draftees, so the whole narrative that we can draft some guy in later rounds and McD them into a really good corner is not supported by data. Picking BPA is what you do when you are building a good roster or depth. When you have a glaring need to win a Super Bowl, you fill that need at all costs, even if it means you have 4 guys rated better. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Good possibility that a CB is BPA there.

Agree for sure, my fear is that if we sit put at #25, the guys I covet, and feel could step in from day one and start opposite Tre, Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Booth, will all be gone.  

I'm praying Beane gets aggressive and moves up and goes after Sauce.  If you're gonna move up, go big and go after the cream.  Sauce has the potential to be even better than Tre, with dreamlike measurables, and if i read it correctly, he NEVER allowed a touchdown?? Jesus. 

Then for the sake of double dipping, I move up again in the 2nd and grab Watson.  Draft grade, regardless of remaining picks, A+.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree for sure, my fear is that if we sit put at #25, the guys I covet, and feel could step in from day one and start opposite Tre, Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Booth, will all be gone.  

I'm praying Beane gets aggressive and moves up and goes after Sauce.  If you're gonna move up, go big and go after the cream.  Sauce has the potential to be even better than Tre, with dreamlike measurables, and if i read it correctly, he NEVER allowed a touchdown?? Jesus. 

Then for the sake of double dipping, I move up again in the 2nd and grab Watson.  Draft grade, regardless of remaining picks, A+.

What are you planning to give up for this - Holy Cow.  Sauce is going top 10 and most likely top 5 - so are you giving up the next couple 1st 2023/and 2024.  All of our picks in this draft and a 1 next year don’t get us high enough to get to 5.

There is almost no way to move up and get Sauce and still have a 2nd round pick to grab Watson.

I love the idea of Gardner, but I don’t care how aggressive your GM is moving from 25 to 5 is reckless and will hurt you badly for years to come.  Rather draft Booth in the 20’s and have ammo to draft several other good players to offset the price we are paying now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

We took Tre at the bottom of the 1st. That has worked out I would say. If there is one thing I trust McDermott and Beane to get right, it is their evaluation of DB's. Tre White, Taron Johnson, and even getting what they got out of a UDFA in Wallace. Jackson, though not All Pro, did admirable being thrust into the starting lineup when Tre went down. I fully expect us to come out of this draft with a couple of CB's that will contribute. Whether one of those come in the 1st or not, I'll trust they know what they're doing. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Depends on who's left when we pick.

If Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie and Booth are gone which is more than likely I'd look towards WR.

This year they need to trade up to make sure the right guy is there.

They don't have the roster spots to make use of a bunch of rookies anyway, and we really don't want them starting the season with Dane Jackson and Siran Neal as the starters, do we??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Depends on who's left when we pick.

If Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie and Booth are gone which is more than likely I'd look towards WR.

If there's a run on a few positions, there should be some top talent at others.  We know DT, Edge, CB, OT, QB are typically premium positions taken early in the draft.

Will that leave a LB, RB, G, or Safety that are among the best coming out of college? Will they be considered an immediate contributor for the Bills? Or (for example), would the Bills be looking down the road at an economical solution and heir to a position they'll be needing in coming years?  A rookie contract nearing its end (Edmunds) might be plan B and drafting his reaplacement if 'their guy' was off the board.  Maybe looking ahead to Safety, with an aging veteran (Poyer) nearing the end of their contract.

It don't expect it, but wouldn't shock me if the Bills went LB or Safety in the first with their desire to remain competitive long-term.

If one of the corners the Bills see as a good fit are all gone, will they look to a WR?  The consensus is that there are several WR prospects that could start sooner than later. Maybe they see a WR they project to last into the 2nd round who could be a good developmental player.

Or, will they trade back for more choices or trade up to get 'their guy'?  I suspect they're more likely to unload draft choices and move up if possible.  Last year's picks were poached off the practice squad by other teams. Why spend resources developing players for other teams?

There are still veteran FA corners out there. Some of the decision may hinge on the rehab progress of Tre White.  I'd like to see McDuffie or Booth in a Bills jersey. It would be hard to find a weakness in the defense if that all works out.

These and other questions will start to be answered in 3 weeks.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd take a corner if the board shaped up that way in the first.

Really depends on who might slip down to 25.  There are players in our first round BIG BOARD that I'd take over a corner.  I agree that corner is a huge need, but at the same time, I think we should have addressed this need a bit more in FA.

Do we really want to make a serious superbowl challenge with ANY rookie corner matching up against a seasoned vet, playoff-caliber WR?

Corners need developing, even the best draftees.

Edited by Yantha
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.