Trading Edmunds makes no sense at this point

bubba2018

I suspect since the rest of his teammates around him have been upgraded, his mistakes will be less apparent, thereby making him appear to be a better LB than what he probably is. To earn anything north of $10M/yr I think he needs to be become a playmaker and actually make those game changing plays that are available to him. Always seems like he’s a step slow.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is my biggest beef. He never makes any plays.

I understand that MLBs dont make a ton of plays as it is, but he makes NO plays.

I'm not expecting an INT every game. But I'd be thrilled with something like 4 tipped balls, 2-3 INTs for himself, and a handful of TFLs across the whole season. Heck, I'd be thrilled if he just stopped overpursuing and learned to take better angles on open field tackles.

My bar for him last year was really low, and he didnt even live up to that. Klein came in for two games and immediately made a couple plays (tipped/defended a pass).

How do you explain our worst game defensively being without Edmunds? Look, I can’t argue against the fact he doesn’t make plays. I also don’t see a lot of plays being made against Edmunds. So it goes both ways. 

We all believe a Mike backer is supposed to be around the ball every play and that definitely isn’t Edmunds. I don’t know what they’re asking of Edmunds. I would love to hear McDermott explain what they expect from Edmunds.

To me it seems like he’s a MLB version of a 2 gap NT. What’s I meant by that is they use his size and length to clog passing lanes. That seems to be his job. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How do you explain our worst game defensively being without Edmunds? Look, I can’t argue against the fact he doesn’t make plays. I also don’t see a lot of plays being made against Edmunds. So it goes both ways. 

We all believe a Mike backer is supposed to be around the ball every play and that definitely isn’t Edmunds. I don’t know what they’re asking of Edmunds. I would love to hear McDermott explain what they expect from Edmunds.

To me it seems like he’s a MLB version of a 2 gap NT. What’s I meant by that is they use his size and length to clog passing lanes. That seems to be his job. 

I’ve seen too many.

21 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This is the TB Game. Look at how flat footed he plays. There are a couple of plays where the DTs get worked back to him but man doesn't flow downhill at all on run plays. He doesn't process. 

I was going to say we will be fine with him for another year until I watched that clip. Eeeash 🤔

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I assume you are referring to the Colts game? I'd argue that it would have been as bad, if not worse, with Edmunds in there since Klein plays the run better than Edmunds. It was going to be a bad game for our Defense no matter what.

Absolutely agreed on the 2 gap NT comparison. And the Cover1 breakdown videos do a good job at illustrating that. They provide a lot of info on his responsibilities and have even gotten me to "forgive" him on some plays. That is where I give him a lot of leeway and understanding. He will never be a "fire your gun" shoot the gap LB. That's fine. But make some plays in the passing game already.

He's supposed to be this long, lanky, lane-clogger but he never (ok, rarely) knocks down any passes in the middle.

He is in an uncommon role in this defense. I understand. I just want him to perform his role better.

There have been a lot of play made against him. The TB game stands out. Whether bouncing off Fournette and allowing the TFL to turn into a first down, or getting burned in coverage. It's unfortunately all too common with him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Edmunds issues are instinctual imo. His recognition to a casual observer always seems a step late. So the runner gets that extra yard on a run, or Tremaine is just out of position to make a substantial play. He's just kinda there, where you're hoping his big frame & wingspan do the trick i guess lol.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

My grandmother is an upgrade over Edmunds at this point and she has dementia 

That’s because she is no longer “so young”. Your grandma has grown up and figured it all out. 

get her on the roster for vet minimum minus social security check. What a deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I assume you are referring to the Colts game? I'd argue that it would have been as bad, if not worse, with Edmunds in there since Klein plays the run better than Edmunds. It was going to be a bad game for our Defense no matter what.

Absolutely agreed on the 2 gap NT comparison. And the Cover1 breakdown videos do a good job at illustrating that. They provide a lot of info on his responsibilities and have even gotten me to "forgive" him on some plays. That is where I give him a lot of leeway and understanding. He will never be a "fire your gun" shoot the gap LB. That's fine. But make some plays in the passing game already.

He's supposed to be this long, lanky, lane-clogger but he never (ok, rarely) knocks down any passes in the middle.

He is in an uncommon role in this defense. I understand. I just want him to perform his role better.

There have been a lot of play made against him. The TB game stands out. Whether bouncing off Fournette and allowing the TFL to turn into a first down, or getting burned in coverage. It's unfortunately all too common with him.

Thank you.

the only thing more annoying that the “haters” are the folks that can not seem to believe that Edmunds has a ton of bad plays on tape. That his negative plays are always the product of another player. 

Edmunds gets toasted in coverage? Well the pass rush didn’t get there. Edmunds blocked out of a run play? Well the DL got tangled up. Bites hard on play action and gets the ball tossed over his head on a crosser? Well everyone else is playing bad against the run.

How many times has it been argued that Milano has suffered from a poor DL hanging him out to dry? Legitimately could be zero on TBD, because MILANO HAS A TON OF POSITIVE PLAYS. Somehow Edmunds is the only defender that is so grossly affected by poor DL play or no safety help or power run schemes  or misdirection or play action.

4 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Imagine giving up on Josh Allen at age 23

If Edmunds was a QB, he’d be Baker Mayfield today.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2nd year he had 11 tackles for loss. Then the DL got weaker and smaller. I believe he was 2nd in the NFL for MLB.

I just don’t agree. I think DL play had a lot to do with his timidness the last couple years.

That's part of my point in trading him so he can be on a team that's a better fit (i.e. playing behind larger bodies in a 3-4/4-3). Still think he belongs outside anyway in either of these type of schemes.

Because obviously we just signed a bunch of DT's that are similar to what we've had in recent years that fit McD/Frazier scheme, therefore nothing should be expected to change if Edmunds is still here.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When you say Klein it doesn’t help your argument. Edmunds doesn’t miss much time. Klein has filled in the Milano role mostly. We’ve not seen the Bills defense without Edmunds very much. 

The missed tackle vs fournette stands out but there’s not many of those plays. 

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There are plenty of us critics (I wont say haters cause I def dont hate the guy) who are informed enough to know exactly how we use him, and how that may make him look different than the productivity of a lot of other LBs in the league. But are still left wanting and think either he could play better (make more plays) or the Bills could do better at the position.

It's not fair or accurate to dismiss the criticisms with "folks dont understand his role". Plenty of us understand it perfectly and are still disappointed.

We could definitely do worse at the position. But for the money he will likely want and command, we could do better.

Yet the people who know a lot more about football than all of us here are always praising just how well he does his "job".  So theres that too.  And not just his teammates, opponents, defensive coordinators, even our new signees.  

In fact, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who analyzes players professionally or plays the game professionally that will be anywhere near as negative about him as people here.  If you listen to TSW, they call him a bust on the regular, and want him gone immediately.  Its a joke the level of criticism he gets here.  

That doesn't mean he cant get better or hasn't missed plays.  It means, the negativity here is more often than not way over the top and over exaggerated.  And while there are people who understand his role and are still critical, many do not and you can tell by just reading the grossly over exaggerated hot takes and comments they spew out constantly.  

We are talking about a guy who gets beat up after wins where he played quite well...they still in threads bashing his play that game.

Its totally fair to question what he is worth or what we should pay him, and if that fits into your future plans.  But the level of hate he gets is beyond unreasonable.   

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thank you.

the only thing more annoying that the “haters” are the folks that can not seem to believe that Edmunds has a ton of bad plays on tape. That his negative plays are always the product of another player. 

Edmunds gets toasted in coverage? Well the pass rush didn’t get there. Edmunds blocked out of a run play? Well the DL got tangled up. Bites hard on play action and gets the ball tossed over his head on a crosser? Well everyone else is playing bad against the run.

How many times has it been argued that Milano has suffered from a poor DL hanging him out to dry? Legitimately could be zero on TBD, because MILANO HAS A TON OF POSITIVE PLAYS. Somehow Edmunds is the only defender that is so grossly affected by poor DL play or no safety help or power run schemes  or misdirection or play action.

If Edmunds was a QB, he’d be Baker Mayfield today.

We can agree to disagree. Imagine people being this hard on Matt Milano at 23 years old when he couldnt beat out Ramon Humber.

Just now, FarrellsFinest said:

We can agree to disagree. Imagine people being this hard on Matt Milano at 23 years old when he couldnt beat out Ramon Humber.

That was his first year. Edmunds is going into his fifth year.

The Bills brass raced to pay Milano. They are letting Edmunds twist in the wind before committing to him. That should be all you need to know.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When you say Klein it doesn’t help your argument. Edmunds doesn’t miss much time. Klein has filled in the Milano role mostly. We’ve not seen the Bills defense without Edmunds very much. 

The missed tackle vs fournette stands out but there’s not many of those plays. 

I am specifically referring to the 2 games Klein filled in for Edmunds. One being the Colts which was our worst D performance. And the other being against the Jets, where Klein played well, but you'll all just say "yeah, but it was the Jets". The Colts were going to run all over us whether it was Klein or Edmunds in the middle.

There are too many bad/missed/broken tackles, the Fournette is just the easiest example to remember without digging through tape (which I aint doin). But on that play alone, it would have stopped their drive, and likely change the outcome of the game. I know a lot of other things factored into that loss, but there was a play that Edmunds could have stepped up, made a play (a simple tackle at that) and had a positive impact on the game. And he... just... didnt...

Anyways, I'm bowing out of this thread. Good discussion, but we're all just re-re-re-arguing our opinions which wont change. It's up to Edmunds to prove it on the field now. I truly hope he does.

10 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

The age is a bad stat/excuse. How about Josh after 4 years in the league, or Milano after 4 years in the league. When does it click for Edmunds?

44 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Even if that's true, which I don't believe it is, you understand that it doesn't matter right? If we use him in a way that makes him perform poorly, or he performs poorly strictly on merit, it's undeniable that MLB performance is a problem for this team. If you aren't going to dump Frazier (they aren't), then you have to find a player that can do what Frazier is asking him to do. It has to be extremely clear over Edmunds' career that he's incapable of doing that. He's barely even flashed any potential and he's had 4 full seasons to show us what he can do.

It's time to move on.

Yet GM's, players, our own staff, defensive coordinators, opponents etc all say differently.  So theres that too.  He isnt perfect, but he isnt nearly as bad as you and others make him out to be.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet the people who know a lot more about football than all of us here are always praising just how well he does his "job".  So theres that too.  And not just his teammates, opponents, defensive coordinators, even our new signees.  

In fact, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who analyzes players professionally or plays the game professionally that will be anywhere near as negative about him as people here.  If you listen to TSW, they call him a bust on the regular, and want him gone immediately.  Its a joke the level of criticism he gets here.  

That doesn't mean he cant get better or hasn't missed plays.  It means, the negativity here is more often than not way over the top and over exaggerated.  And while there are people who understand his role and are still critical, many do not and you can tell by just reading the grossly over exaggerated hot takes and comments they spew out constantly.  

We are talking about a guy who gets beat up after wins where he played quite well...they still in threads bashing his play that game.

Its totally fair to question what he is worth or what we should pay him, and if that fits into your future plans.  But the level of hate he gets is beyond unreasonable.   

All those people you point to always/only praise other players publicly. Folks here reference all the praise Saleh heaped on Edmunds before a game last year, but that's what HCs do all the time. They never give bulletin board material. And the praise is always overstated.

Like Ive already said, the Cover1 guys did a great job at explaining/excusing a lot of his plays that look bad, but werent his fault or responsibility. I get it.

But I put ZERO value into praise from coaches, teammates, talking heads. They all have ulterior motives, they arent there to tell the full truth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

All this talent around him and his college buddy starting in front of him now. I expect Maine to ball out this season. We might be singing a different tune about him next season. Wasn't too long ago Oliver and Knox was the whipping boys.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

It actually does make sense for a number of reasons that have been beat to death including but not limited to:

- $12 million in cap space free immediately

- would likely get a 2nd round pick at minimum (possibly more)

- can sign Wagner or other stop gap LB much cheaper, wagner (and others) would be instant upgrade/at worse lateral move.

- despite all the cap maneuvering we aren't going to be able to keep everyone and no way I'm paying $15 - $20 million a season for a guy like Edmunds starting in 2023.

At this point he probably stays but still think it's very possible he's moved soon especially the longer guys like Wagner stay on the market.

I like Edmunds, but would also like to upgrade the position. Part of me is afraid to see him kill it elsewhere. But that might be some Bills fan PTSD. 

If I am the FO, even if Edmunds kills it this year and I want to bring him back, I think his value is already diminished. His agent will say, "Tremaine is coming off a crazy year". My response would be, "Yeah, all it took was to draft 4 DL in the firs two rounds and go out and spend $17.5M AAV on Von Miller. We have spent most of our resources for 2-3 offseasons on front 7 talent"

From Joe Marino:

"A high school wide receiver and safety, Darrian Beavers started his college career at UConn before transferring to Cincinnati ahead of the 2019 season. In addition to football, Beavers lettered in basketball and track in high school while boasting a 4.0 GPA. Since transferring to the Bearcats program, Beavers has fully developed into an impact defensive playmaker on one of the best defenses in the nation. Beavers is a physical and aggressive defender that is interchangeable at linebacker on the second level and can serve as a 3-4 outside linebacker in odd fronts. Beavers is a smart processor that understands run fits, rush angles, and zone coverage drops. He has the mass, power, and length to stack and shed blocks against the run and power through rush angles as a pass rusher. When it comes to areas of concern, Beavers isn’t the type of linebacker that should be used frequently in man coverage or deeper zone drops. While he is fully capable of making plays to the sideline, he isn’t an overly explosive athlete when it comes to lateral mobility and change of direction skills. Beavers is highly regarded for his football character and how he’s taken ownership in his development as a player. His style of play translates well to hybrid-front defenses and surely the Bill Belichick disciples will gravitate toward his skill set. In year one, I can see Beavers claiming a role for his defense and making an impact on special teams, where he has considerable experience in four phases. By year two or three, Beavers has the makings of a core member of an NFL defense that brings a tone-setting presence, consistent instincts, a clear understanding of his role, and versatility to the table."

He could probably be be had with our 2nd round pick, and IMO would be an immediate upgrade at much lower cost. Use the money saved on a veteran CB or WR.

If you're concerned about his pass coverage:

"Pass Coverage Ability: Beavers is sound in zone coverage. He does well to read the backfield, work into throwing lanes, and close. His background as a safety and wide receiver in high school shows up when he has a chance to break on the football. With that said, tasking him with defending large quantities and frequent reps in man coverage aren’t likely to yield favorable results. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/darrian-beavers/Tc1KUfFhWl

I'm going to reserve my opinion on Edmunds until I see some decent d-line play in front of him.  Both Edmunds and Milano have been hampered by some really bad play in front of them.  Both of those guys routinely have the DT's pushed back into them, preventing pursuit to the ball.  I think some of the recent d-line signings will improve the underlying problem.  If Edmunds still struggles, it will be time to move on.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All those people you point to always/only praise other players publicly. Folks here reference all the praise Saleh heaped on Edmunds before a game last year, but that's what HCs do all the time. They never give bulletin board material. And the praise is always overstated.

Like Ive already said, the Cover1 guys did a great job at explaining/excusing a lot of his plays that look bad, but werent his fault or responsibility. I get it.

But I put ZERO value into praise from coaches, teammates, talking heads. They all have ulterior motives, they arent there to tell the full truth.

I get what you are saying, but its also kind of an inaccurate thing to say.  They dont heap praise on Milano they way they do Edmunds or really other players.  In fact, Edmunds is probably he most often mentioned player in our defense by those people.  In fact, the guys that most often get pointed out with praise are Edmunds, White, Hyde and Poyer.  

They don't have to mention Edmunds, yet they do on the regular.  

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

If I am the FO, even if Edmunds kills it this year and I want to bring him back, I think his value is already diminished. His agent will say, "Tremaine is coming off a crazy year". My response would be, "Yeah, all it took was to draft 4 DL in the firs two rounds and go out and spend $17.5M AAV on Von Miller. We have spent most of our resources for 2-3 offseasons on front 7 talent"

I'm in a similar boat. At this point, there's almost nothing Edmunds can do to redeem the wasted investment in him. if he goes out there and kills it this year, he'll want to be paid like a top LB, despite giving us nothing the first four years when he was on a controlled deal. Now, we pay him based off limited performance and we have to guess if everything clicked for him or if he just had a good year? No thanks.

I thought Phillips was the same way, and I get an uneasy feeling about Oliver for the same reason. Showing up on year 3 is way better than year 5 though.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I am specifically referring to the 2 games Klein filled in for Edmunds. One being the Colts which was our worst D performance. And the other being against the Jets, where Klein played well, but you'll all just say "yeah, but it was the Jets". The Colts were going to run all over us whether it was Klein or Edmunds in the middle.

There are too many bad/missed/broken tackles, the Fournette is just the easiest example to remember without digging through tape (which I aint doin). But on that play alone, it would have stopped their drive, and likely change the outcome of the game. I know a lot of other things factored into that loss, but there was a play that Edmunds could have stepped up, made a play (a simple tackle at that) and had a positive impact on the game. And he... just... didnt...

Anyways, I'm bowing out of this thread. Good discussion, but we're all just re-re-re-arguing our opinions which wont change. It's up to Edmunds to prove it on the field now. I truly hope he does.

The age is a bad stat/excuse. How about Josh after 4 years in the league, or Milano after 4 years in the league. When does it click for Edmunds?

Well he is a 2x pro bowler so...i get it you want him to be even better. All im saying is i think he will even meet your expectations if you wrote them down before the season. As a matter a fact what would be exceptable for you sir?  Just so i can throw it in your face after the season and you still want him gone.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying, but its also kind of an inaccurate thing to say.  They dont heap praise on Milano they way they do Edmunds or really other players.  In fact, Edmunds is probably he most often mentioned player in our defense by those people.  In fact, the guys that most often get pointed out with praise are Edmunds, White, Hyde and Poyer.  

They don't have to mention Edmunds, yet they do on the regular.  

Because Edmunds plays so much better than Milano, or because Edmunds is the more hyped 1st round pick bigger name?

Either way, I'm not putting stock in any of the PR. I find far more value in the Cover1 breakdowns which actually disect plays to soften my criticisms of Edmunds, over people giving coach-speak to the media.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm in a similar boat. At this point, there's almost nothing Edmunds can do to redeem the wasted investment in him. if he goes out there and kills it this year, he'll want to be paid like a top LB, despite giving us nothing the first four years when he was on a controlled deal. Now, we pay him based off limited performance and we have to guess if everything clicked for him or if he just had a good year? No thanks.

I thought Phillips was the same way, and I get an uneasy feeling about Oliver for the same reason. Showing up on year 3 is way better than year 5 though.

I don't think he gave us nothing. He has been decent, but we need more. I think the Edmunds situation starts to become difficult if he is willing to take a deal comparable to Milano. 

I wouldn't put Oliver in that boat. I thin he has gotten better every single year he has been here. Right now the 5th year and pending extension feels like a no brainer. 

1 minute ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Well he is a 2x pro bowler

Worthless. Everyone here knows Pro Bowls are a joke when Josh doesnt even make it. And Edmunds has only ever made it as an alternative.

All im saying is i think he will even meet your expectations if you wrote them down before the season. As a matter a fact what would be exceptable for you sir? 

Already documented what I want to see earlier in the thread with real stat examples.

Just so i can throw it in your face after the season and you still want him gone.

Way to be a d!ck about it when no one else here is. WhoTF are you anyways?

I remain in steadfast, if you believe in him, extend him now so that you can include the guaranteed money from this year that is already on the books. If you aren’t going to extend him, trade him now. Simple as that imo. I mean 13 mill for one year is like top 5 money at that position. 

Note to self, do not draft off ball linebackers, Oline other than LT, or elite at c-g-rt, safeties, or tight ends in the first round of the draft because you wind up paying ridiculous option number. Draft defensive linemen, receivers, and corners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Worthless. Everyone here knows Pro Bowls are a joke when Josh doesnt even make it. And Edmunds has only ever made it as an alternative.

Already documented what I want to see earlier in the thread with real stat examples.

Way to be a d!ck about it when no one else here is. WhoTF are you anyways?

Im just a random nobody fan like you giving my 2 cents where nobody really wants it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It actually does make sense for a number of reasons that have been beat to death including but not limited to:

- can sign Wagner or other stop gap LB much cheaper, wagner (and others) would be instant upgrade/at worse lateral move.

- despite all the cap maneuvering we aren't going to be able to keep everyone and no way I'm paying $15 - $20 million a season for a guy like Edmunds starting in 2023.

At this point he probably stays but still think it's very possible he's moved soon especially the longer guys like Wagner stay on the market.

I just dont think they do it.  I bet they want to see what he looks like behind these D linemen we just signed

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Edmunds haters remind of the JA is our only good player narrative. It’s dumb. 

Edmunds truthers remind me that there's people out there that will do any sort of mental gymnastics to try to convince themselves that he isn't a JAG and can't be replaced

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because Edmunds plays so much better than Milano, or because Edmunds is the more hyped 1st round pick bigger name?

Either way, I'm not putting stock in any of the PR. I find far more value in the Cover1 breakdowns which actually disect plays to soften my criticisms of Edmunds, over people giving coach-speak to the media.

And yet when Cover1 or any other analysis say he had a good game, people still come on a dump on him too.  Its all good, youre a good poster, so meaning no disrespect.  But in my book, there is no denying his criticism is over the top and grossly exaggerated.  He isn't perfect, he has things he can do better, but the role he plays here he does better than people give him credit for.  And honestly, its not really debatable when you read the bad takes all over this board.  Not lumping you into that description, just in general the over exaggeration that goes on around him.

2 hours ago, recovery96 said:

I am in the group who wants him gone for a second round pick, but with all the pieces we’ve acquired what would be the point? He can still play a vital role on this defense and why lose that when you also have a full set of picks in the draft. 

To me this is pretty funny seems like 2/3 of the posters here say he's terrible and want to get rid of him.  But then turn around and expect a 2nd rounder or more in a trade.

If he's a as bad as people say, lucky to get a 5th or 6th for him.

I'm sure I'll here how in a different style defense or position he'd be great and worth a 2nd or more.

Is he worth the $12 mil, no but doubt he's going anywhere unless traded for much less.  And then that leaves the defense with a big hole.

1 minute ago, delirious said:

Edmunds truthers remind me that there's people out there that will do any sort of mental gymnastics to try to convince themselves that he isn't a JAG and can't be replaced

I think there is a deference in saying he is average vs he sucks.  I got no problem if they can find a better option.  But to think you can just plug anyone in there is not really a sensible argument. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.