Trading Edmunds makes no sense at this point

bubba2018

I suspect since the rest of his teammates around him have been upgraded, his mistakes will be less apparent, thereby making him appear to be a better LB than what he probably is. To earn anything north of $10M/yr I think he needs to be become a playmaker and actually make those game changing plays that are available to him. Always seems like he’s a step slow.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is my biggest beef. He never makes any plays.

I understand that MLBs dont make a ton of plays as it is, but he makes NO plays.

I'm not expecting an INT every game. But I'd be thrilled with something like 4 tipped balls, 2-3 INTs for himself, and a handful of TFLs across the whole season. Heck, I'd be thrilled if he just stopped overpursuing and learned to take better angles on open field tackles.

My bar for him last year was really low, and he didnt even live up to that. Klein came in for two games and immediately made a couple plays (tipped/defended a pass).

How do you explain our worst game defensively being without Edmunds? Look, I can’t argue against the fact he doesn’t make plays. I also don’t see a lot of plays being made against Edmunds. So it goes both ways. 

We all believe a Mike backer is supposed to be around the ball every play and that definitely isn’t Edmunds. I don’t know what they’re asking of Edmunds. I would love to hear McDermott explain what they expect from Edmunds.

To me it seems like he’s a MLB version of a 2 gap NT. What’s I meant by that is they use his size and length to clog passing lanes. That seems to be his job. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How do you explain our worst game defensively being without Edmunds? Look, I can’t argue against the fact he doesn’t make plays. I also don’t see a lot of plays being made against Edmunds. So it goes both ways. 

We all believe a Mike backer is supposed to be around the ball every play and that definitely isn’t Edmunds. I don’t know what they’re asking of Edmunds. I would love to hear McDermott explain what they expect from Edmunds.

To me it seems like he’s a MLB version of a 2 gap NT. What’s I meant by that is they use his size and length to clog passing lanes. That seems to be his job. 

I’ve seen too many.

21 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This is the TB Game. Look at how flat footed he plays. There are a couple of plays where the DTs get worked back to him but man doesn't flow downhill at all on run plays. He doesn't process. 

I was going to say we will be fine with him for another year until I watched that clip. Eeeash 🤔

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I assume you are referring to the Colts game? I'd argue that it would have been as bad, if not worse, with Edmunds in there since Klein plays the run better than Edmunds. It was going to be a bad game for our Defense no matter what.

Absolutely agreed on the 2 gap NT comparison. And the Cover1 breakdown videos do a good job at illustrating that. They provide a lot of info on his responsibilities and have even gotten me to "forgive" him on some plays. That is where I give him a lot of leeway and understanding. He will never be a "fire your gun" shoot the gap LB. That's fine. But make some plays in the passing game already.

He's supposed to be this long, lanky, lane-clogger but he never (ok, rarely) knocks down any passes in the middle.

He is in an uncommon role in this defense. I understand. I just want him to perform his role better.

There have been a lot of play made against him. The TB game stands out. Whether bouncing off Fournette and allowing the TFL to turn into a first down, or getting burned in coverage. It's unfortunately all too common with him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Edmunds issues are instinctual imo. His recognition to a casual observer always seems a step late. So the runner gets that extra yard on a run, or Tremaine is just out of position to make a substantial play. He's just kinda there, where you're hoping his big frame & wingspan do the trick i guess lol.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

My grandmother is an upgrade over Edmunds at this point and she has dementia 

That’s because she is no longer “so young”. Your grandma has grown up and figured it all out. 

get her on the roster for vet minimum minus social security check. What a deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I assume you are referring to the Colts game? I'd argue that it would have been as bad, if not worse, with Edmunds in there since Klein plays the run better than Edmunds. It was going to be a bad game for our Defense no matter what.

Absolutely agreed on the 2 gap NT comparison. And the Cover1 breakdown videos do a good job at illustrating that. They provide a lot of info on his responsibilities and have even gotten me to "forgive" him on some plays. That is where I give him a lot of leeway and understanding. He will never be a "fire your gun" shoot the gap LB. That's fine. But make some plays in the passing game already.

He's supposed to be this long, lanky, lane-clogger but he never (ok, rarely) knocks down any passes in the middle.

He is in an uncommon role in this defense. I understand. I just want him to perform his role better.

There have been a lot of play made against him. The TB game stands out. Whether bouncing off Fournette and allowing the TFL to turn into a first down, or getting burned in coverage. It's unfortunately all too common with him.

Thank you.

the only thing more annoying that the “haters” are the folks that can not seem to believe that Edmunds has a ton of bad plays on tape. That his negative plays are always the product of another player. 

Edmunds gets toasted in coverage? Well the pass rush didn’t get there. Edmunds blocked out of a run play? Well the DL got tangled up. Bites hard on play action and gets the ball tossed over his head on a crosser? Well everyone else is playing bad against the run.

How many times has it been argued that Milano has suffered from a poor DL hanging him out to dry? Legitimately could be zero on TBD, because MILANO HAS A TON OF POSITIVE PLAYS. Somehow Edmunds is the only defender that is so grossly affected by poor DL play or no safety help or power run schemes  or misdirection or play action.

4 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Imagine giving up on Josh Allen at age 23

If Edmunds was a QB, he’d be Baker Mayfield today.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2nd year he had 11 tackles for loss. Then the DL got weaker and smaller. I believe he was 2nd in the NFL for MLB.

I just don’t agree. I think DL play had a lot to do with his timidness the last couple years.

That's part of my point in trading him so he can be on a team that's a better fit (i.e. playing behind larger bodies in a 3-4/4-3). Still think he belongs outside anyway in either of these type of schemes.

Because obviously we just signed a bunch of DT's that are similar to what we've had in recent years that fit McD/Frazier scheme, therefore nothing should be expected to change if Edmunds is still here.

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When you say Klein it doesn’t help your argument. Edmunds doesn’t miss much time. Klein has filled in the Milano role mostly. We’ve not seen the Bills defense without Edmunds very much. 

The missed tackle vs fournette stands out but there’s not many of those plays. 

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There are plenty of us critics (I wont say haters cause I def dont hate the guy) who are informed enough to know exactly how we use him, and how that may make him look different than the productivity of a lot of other LBs in the league. But are still left wanting and think either he could play better (make more plays) or the Bills could do better at the position.

It's not fair or accurate to dismiss the criticisms with "folks dont understand his role". Plenty of us understand it perfectly and are still disappointed.

We could definitely do worse at the position. But for the money he will likely want and command, we could do better.

Yet the people who know a lot more about football than all of us here are always praising just how well he does his "job".  So theres that too.  And not just his teammates, opponents, defensive coordinators, even our new signees.  

In fact, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who analyzes players professionally or plays the game professionally that will be anywhere near as negative about him as people here.  If you listen to TSW, they call him a bust on the regular, and want him gone immediately.  Its a joke the level of criticism he gets here.  

That doesn't mean he cant get better or hasn't missed plays.  It means, the negativity here is more often than not way over the top and over exaggerated.  And while there are people who understand his role and are still critical, many do not and you can tell by just reading the grossly over exaggerated hot takes and comments they spew out constantly.  

We are talking about a guy who gets beat up after wins where he played quite well...they still in threads bashing his play that game.

Its totally fair to question what he is worth or what we should pay him, and if that fits into your future plans.  But the level of hate he gets is beyond unreasonable.   

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thank you.

the only thing more annoying that the “haters” are the folks that can not seem to believe that Edmunds has a ton of bad plays on tape. That his negative plays are always the product of another player. 

Edmunds gets toasted in coverage? Well the pass rush didn’t get there. Edmunds blocked out of a run play? Well the DL got tangled up. Bites hard on play action and gets the ball tossed over his head on a crosser? Well everyone else is playing bad against the run.

How many times has it been argued that Milano has suffered from a poor DL hanging him out to dry? Legitimately could be zero on TBD, because MILANO HAS A TON OF POSITIVE PLAYS. Somehow Edmunds is the only defender that is so grossly affected by poor DL play or no safety help or power run schemes  or misdirection or play action.

If Edmunds was a QB, he’d be Baker Mayfield today.

We can agree to disagree. Imagine people being this hard on Matt Milano at 23 years old when he couldnt beat out Ramon Humber.

Just now, FarrellsFinest said:

We can agree to disagree. Imagine people being this hard on Matt Milano at 23 years old when he couldnt beat out Ramon Humber.

That was his first year. Edmunds is going into his fifth year.

The Bills brass raced to pay Milano. They are letting Edmunds twist in the wind before committing to him. That should be all you need to know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.