Trading Edmunds makes no sense at this point

bubba2018

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t even know what started them Edmunds hate? Honestly on every big run the Bills have given up I get more upset at Poyer and Hyde for taking terrible angles.

He doesn’t ever stand out, maybe that’s the problem for fans.

This is my biggest beef. He never makes any plays.

I understand that MLBs dont make a ton of plays as it is, but he makes NO plays.

I'm not expecting an INT every game. But I'd be thrilled with something like 4 tipped balls, 2-3 INTs for himself, and a handful of TFLs across the whole season. Heck, I'd be thrilled if he just stopped overpursuing and learned to take better angles on open field tackles.

My bar for him last year was really low, and he didnt even live up to that. Klein came in for two games and immediately made a couple plays (tipped/defended a pass).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's worse at pass rushing than he is at playing MLB. Everyone who wants to move him to OLB/DE is only wishing based on his size. He has no fire or power to get to the QB. 2020 he had something like 76 blitzes and tallied ZERO pressures.

Edmund's problems are between the ears, not physical.

He's like one of those QB's that is a physical specimen, but gets happy feet or panics with pressure or can't feel the pocket etc. A position change will honestly make it worse.

It's depressing in the sense that an instinctual LB should be eating offenses alive in McD's scheme. It's why Milano outperforms him every year as a much lesser athlete. When Milano picks the right gap and shoots it, he makes the play. Edmunds mostly picks the wrong gap, gets trapped in the gap, or washed out in the run.

Milano in 71 games played and 54 starts has 45 TFL's. Edmunds in 61 games and starts has 26. That's ROUGH.

Even SCARIER, Milano has 31 QB hits in his career. Edmunds has 15. Edmunds hit a QB ONCE last year.

Some of that is based on what plays are called. But the MLB who runs a 4.5 and is the size of Gronk should be able to blitz and touch the QB more than ONCE.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Edmund's problems are between the ears, not physical.

He's like one of those QB's that is a physical specimen, but gets happy feet or panics with pressure or can't feel the pocket etc. A position change will honestly make it worse.

It's depressing in the sense that an instinctual LB should be eating offenses alive in McD's scheme. It's why Milano outperforms him every year as a much lesser athlete. When Milano picks the right gap and shoots it, he makes the play. Edmunds mostly picks the wrong gap, gets trapped in the gap, or washed out in the run.

Milano in 71 games played and 54 starts has 45 TFL's. Edmunds in 61 games and starts has 26. That's ROUGH.

I've watched the (very informative) Cover1 breakdowns, so I get that they give him a ton of responsibility. Often covering 2 gaps instead of just one, which makes him pause and wait instead of simply shooting a gap.

I'm not out here just hating without understanding everything he does do, and all the responsibility he has.

But something is still missing. Kuechly had the same responsibilites in the same position in the same scheme and made a TON of plays. If Edmunds just met those stats HALFWAY, not even expecting him to be a full Kuechly, then I'd be happy. But he's just this shell out there.

• Agree 1

It never made sense unless he wasn’t in their future plans.  Which we still don’t know yet, but our GM, Coaches, players, and even the new players continue to praise him and refer to him as good to even one of the better LBs in the NFL.  

I keep saying it, what people hate most about Edmunds has more to do with how we use him more than anything.  
I don’t see us trading him unless we get a really good offer.  We are making a big push for SB this year, they aren’t just gonna easily give away the captain of the D and create yet another hole.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t even know what started them Edmunds hate? Honestly on every big run the Bills have given up I get more upset at Poyer and Hyde for taking terrible angles.

He doesn’t ever stand out, maybe that’s the problem for fans.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly and why Beane has no business paying a guy like this $12 million this season and likely much more on a long term extension.

Most fans like myself were patient the first few years buying into the 'he's still only 19/20 years old and growing into his frame' idea. But we are now entering the 5th year of the Edmunds experiment still waiting for something that's simply not coming especially since LB is one of the easiest positions to transition from the college to pro level.

At some point you just need a fresh start and that would benefit both sides here especially for a team that realizes any potential Edmunds may still have is going to be in a different defense/scheme.

21 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Edmunds is playing out of position. I think he could be a Von Miller type pass rusher. It's clear that he's not a 4-3 MLB. Before they give up on him they should let him rush the passer from the edge this year. He has the speed and the length and it looks like he has some bend because every time he gets blocked he folds up like a cheap tent

He has shown 0 ability to rush the passer.  No natural bend.  I dont see it. 

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It never made sense unless he wasn’t in their future plans.  Which we still don’t know yet, but our GM, Coaches, players, and even knew players continue to praise him and refer to him as good to even one of the better LBs in the NFL.  

I keep saying it, what people hate most about Edmunds has more to do with how we use him more than anything.  

I don’t see us trading him unless we get a really good offer.  We are making a big push for SB this year, they aren’t just gonna easily give away the captain of the D and create yet another hole.  

I'm sorry, but we wouldn't be picking up his fifth year option and waiting on an extension if the Bills brass was completely enamored with his play. I don't think they hate him or think he sucks, but they aren't ready to back up the Brinks truck for him, which honestly, based on his draft status and physical gifts, they should've been.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've watched the (very informative) Cover1 breakdowns, so I get that they give him a ton of responsibility. Often covering 2 gaps instead of just one, which makes him pause and wait instead of simply shooting a gap.

I'm not out here just hating without understanding everything he does do, and all the responsibility he has.

But something is still missing. Kuechly had the same responsibilites in the same position in the same scheme and made a TON of plays. If Edmunds just met those stats HALFWAY, not even expecting him to be a full Kuechly, then I'd be happy. But he's just this shell out there.

I completely agree. There are guys in the league who are playmakers and pop off the field and guys that aren't.  There's a dearth of impact plays when it comes to Edmunds.

If he was a 3rd rounder, he wouldn't be so routinely debated. But he was a tradeup.

There are a ton of guys who don't rely entirely on their physical gifts to play football. Those guys tend to have longer careers. Guys that are really only in the league because of what they bring to the table physically tend to wash out once they start to slow down, either due to age or nagging injuries.

Edited by FireChans
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly and why Beane has no business paying a guy like this $12 million this season and likely much more on a long term extension.

Most fans like myself were patient the first few years buying into the 'he's still only 19/20 years old and growing into his frame' idea. But we are now entering the 5th year of the Edmunds experiment still waiting for something that's simply not coming especially since LB is one of the easiest positions to transition from the college to pro level.

At some point you just need a fresh start and that would benefit both sides here especially for a team that realizes any potential Edmunds may still have is going to be in a different defense/scheme.

2nd year he had 11 tackles for loss. Then the DL got weaker and smaller. I believe he was 2nd in the NFL for MLB.

I just don’t agree. I think DL play had a lot to do with his timidness the last couple years.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It never made sense unless he wasn’t in their future plans.  Which we still don’t know yet, but our GM, Coaches, players, and even the new players continue to praise him and refer to him as good to even one of the better LBs in the NFL.  

There are plenty of us critics (I wont say haters cause I def dont hate the guy) who are informed enough to know exactly how we use him, and how that may make him look different than the productivity of a lot of other LBs in the league. But are still left wanting and think either he could play better (make more plays) or the Bills could do better at the position.

It's not fair or accurate to dismiss the criticisms with "folks dont understand his role". Plenty of us understand it perfectly and are still disappointed.

We could definitely do worse at the position. But for the money he will likely want and command, we could do better.

49 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

I am in the group who wants him gone for a second round pick, but with all the pieces we’ve acquired what would be the point? He can still play a vital role on this defense and why lose that when you also have a full set of picks in the draft. 

Because there are better players out there like Bobby Wagner who we could replace him with and use the pick to draft his replacement.

49 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

I am in the group who wants him gone for a second round pick, but with all the pieces we’ve acquired what would be the point? He can still play a vital role on this defense and why lose that when you also have a full set of picks in the draft. 

If we can get a 2nd rd pick for him, I think Beane would pull the trigger no matter what.  I don’t feel that anyone would offer that.  Or a 3rd for that matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If we can get a 2nd rd pick for him, I think Beane would pull the trigger no matter what.  I don’t feel that anyone would offer that.  Or a 3rd for that matter.

For all the praise he gets by other teams and the media, I think it is very telling that he is going into his 5th year without an extension.

It doesnt tell us anything too crazy or alarming. But Beane's MO is to get his guys extended on fair deals well before this.

So likely, Beane made a Milano-type offer ($10M/year) which I think is fair for Edmunds. Even as someone who has been disappointed, I could get behind keeping him for that number. And Edmunds thinks he can be worth more than that, but the Bills havent seen it yet to justify it (same as us critics).

Hopefully he takes a step up, and shows us he's worth the big bucks.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Even if that's true, which I don't believe it is, you understand that it doesn't matter right? If we use him in a way that makes him perform poorly, or he performs poorly strictly on merit, it's undeniable that MLB performance is a problem for this team. If you aren't going to dump Frazier (they aren't), then you have to find a player that can do what Frazier is asking him to do. It has to be extremely clear over Edmunds' career that he's incapable of doing that. He's barely even flashed any potential and he's had 4 full seasons to show us what he can do.

It's time to move on.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 1

I think we keep Edmunds and draft a possible replacement in April to groom behind him this year. This is one of the things when you build a good team through the draft, it's impossible to keep and pay everyone. One thing about next year is that's when all the new TV $$$ will hit and the cap could go up by $20M. If Edmunds plays well then we'll re-sign him, probably before the new league year in 2023. If he doesn't we'll let him walk. That's the chance you take. 

33 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Edmunds is playing out of position. I think he could be a Von Miller type pass rusher. It's clear that he's not a 4-3 MLB. Before they give up on him they should let him rush the passer from the edge this year. He has the speed and the length and it looks like he has some bend because every time he gets blocked he folds up like a cheap tent

The Edmunds Report disagrees with this assessment.  In the cases where he rushed the passer, he was singularly ineffective, not registering any pressures.  He's right where he should be, a passing lane clogging, coverage LB, with an occasional TFL on running plays.  He also brings the wood when he does hit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.