What to do at CB?

GreggTX

Not sure how many of you saw it, but an article in the Syracuse Post Standard has us trading up to take Sauce Gardner.

While I would absolutely be thrilled with this scenario unfolding, doesn't it seem a bit unrealistic in that we seemingly didn't have to give up very much to jump 18 spots from 25th up to 7th?  I feel like we would have to give up way more to make that move...we're talking about the consensus best corner in the draft, could even possibly be better than Tre someday, and the CB2 spot filled in the most delicious way...

"The best way to gain some separation from the rest of the pack? Make a bold move.

In our mock 2.0, the Bills do just that and add some sauce to their secondary.

*TRADE* Round 1, Pick 7: CB Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, Cincinnati

Bills receive: 2022 1st (7)

Giants receive: 2022 1st round pick (25), 2022 3rd round pick (89), and 2023 1st round pick, 2023 5th round pick"

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, Bill from NYC said:

In 2004, we signed a player named Jason Peters from the Giants Practice Squad. where he was coached by Jumbo Elliot.

Jason Peters was signed by the Bills as an undrafted free-agent.  He was an over 300 pound tight-end with freakish athleticism who played special teams his first year. They projected him to tackle and he became a devastating blocker in the run game and a top pass protector.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Jason Peters was signed by the Bills as an undrafted free-agent.  He was an over 300 pound tight-end with freakish athleticism who played special teams his first year. They projected him to tackle and he became a devastating blocker in the run game and a top pass protector.

Peters was with the Giants initially.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Peters was with the Giants initially.

I dont know who you are thinking of, but that isnt Jason Peters. He signed with us from the beginning. Was a TE/Special Teams star (remember the blocked FGs?). Was developed by Mouse McNalley into OL, and eventually LT. He was always a Bill.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont know who you are thinking of, but that isnt Jason Peters. He signed with us from the beginning. Was a TE/Special Teams star (remember the blocked FGs?). Was developed by Mouse McNalley into OL, and eventually LT. He was always a Bill.

Peters was signed by the Bills as a UDA. This is true but he was cut before the season and worked out with the Giants. The Bills then signed him again, this time to the practice squad.

Jumbo Elliot told me that he coached Peters for a short time.

If you scroll down it does mention the cut. It doesn't say how long he waited to be signed again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2425017-jason-peters-tells-his-story-of-the-undrafted-road-to-nfl-success

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Peters was signed by the Bills as a UDA. This is true but he was cut before the season and worked out with the Giants. The Bills then signed him again, this time to the practice squad.

Jumbo Elliot told me that he coached Peters for a short time.

If you scroll down it does mention the cut. It doesn't say how long he waited to be signed again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2425017-jason-peters-tells-his-story-of-the-undrafted-road-to-nfl-success

Well, he worked out in a gym with Jumbo Elliot, but never in a true Giants capacity since he wasnt under contract and it was only a day or two between being cut and getting signed to our practice squad, as is the usual timeline.

Bills had Clemson CB Andrew Booth in for a visit.

(11) Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "Top 30 visits: — #Clemson CB Andrew Booth is visiting the #Saints and has #Patriots on Friday. He was recently at the #Eagles and #Bills. — #OSU WR Chris Olave is with the Commanders today and tomorrow, as is SDSU DL Cam Thomas. #Mich St RB Kenneth Walker III is there on Friday." / Twitter

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, he worked out in a gym with Jumbo Elliot, but never in a true Giants capacity since he wasnt under contract and it was only a day or two between being cut and getting signed to our practice squad, as is the usual timeline.

Cool. I mean, I wasn't there lol. Eliott told me about this in a 30 minute or so converstion that I had with him. He also talked about matching up against Bruce Smith. It was the deepest insight I ever had into the NFL. 

He did specifically tell me that he "coached" Peters. I told him how impressed I was by the way Peters was strong enough to move defenders out by extending his arms. Jumbo implied that he was stronger than Peters in his playing days :)

I am really not making this up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He didn't work out in some gym off site..........it was the middle of Giants training camp..........not everybody that works out at team facilities has to be under contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2022 at 6:58 PM, Airseven said:

FA market is tapped. I doubt Gilmore is in play for several reasons. The other available vets would be frivolous on this roster. Best bet is an early draft pick and then see who else shakes loose this summer.

Surprise trade is still possible.

Tapped?  Frivolous?  I don't think so.  FA market for CBs has Fuller/Nelson/Rhodes/Callahan/Jenkins/Gilmore/Sherman and Haden - all upgrades over Wallace.  Then there is J Norman and Buoye who could sign cheap as backups if we draft a starting CB.

If there is a surprise trade I hope we aren't giving up any of the valuable draft assets (top 4 rounds).  If the Giants want Epenesa for Bradberry and eat some of Bradberry's outrageous salary - maybe.

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Also Jumbo Elliott wasn't even on the Giants then.  He was pretty much out of football if you read his Bio.

I had a dream that was gave the Giants a 7th for Bradberry and they were going to pay a portion of his salary for this year to make it work. So it's as good as done, put it in the books. I outscooped Adam Schefter on this one! 😝

Edited by KDIGGZ

Any Tennessee fans out there that have more insight into Alontae Taylor? 6' 196lbs ran a 4.36? Some pretty good combine #'s and pro-dat #'s... From what I have been able to read and watch, sounds like a good kid. Possibly a good mid round option?🤔. Any additional input/thoughts?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Alontae-Taylor-DB-Tennessee

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:09 PM, GreggTX said:

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I'm sure Beane is working on it, but the situation is severe. That would be far and away the worst starting outside CB's  anywhere. Do we draft a CB on day 1? I sure hope so, but that won't be anywhere near enough. We need to address this now. I don't think having 2 rookies starting at outside CB is the answer either. We also don't know when White will be ready, but it will be December at the earliest, I would guess. We also don't know if White will need time to fully recover or IF he will fully recover. I suspect he'll be his old self befotr too long.

Put yourself in Beane's seat. What moves would you be trying to pull off that are realistic? 

I'm looking at the Panthers CB stable and I could see a better CB than Levi shaking loose. Can we afford that? I also like Kyler Gordon, but I don't really follow college football. I know he's scheme versatile and a great tackler. Great short area burst. You thoughts?

April 17th.   

Beane continues to be patient about signing a veteran Free Agent Cornerback.   I think he has a # he doesn't want to exceed for CB, and he is sticking to it.

I thought Steven Nelson was an option, but he got signed for $5 million a year this week.

The biggest shock to me in this draft would be if Beane does not draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.

3 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

April 17th.   

Beane continues to be patient about signing a veteran Free Agent Cornerback.   I think he has a # he doesn't want to exceed for CB, and he is sticking to it.

I thought Steven Nelson was an option, but he got signed for $5 million a year this week.

The biggest shock to me in this draft would be if Beane does not draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.

Personally,  I think he has something up his sleeve still, worse case something sitting in his back pocket. Beane always has a plan.😉. Patience is a virtue. 🙏.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Any Tennessee fans out there that have more insight into Alontae Taylor? 6' 196lbs ran a 4.36? Some pretty good combine #'s and pro-dat #'s... From what I have been able to read and watch, sounds like a good kid. Possibly a good mid round option?🤔. Any additional input/thoughts?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Alontae-Taylor-DB-Tennessee

Should be there for us in the 2nd.  Him or Taylor-Britt.  

I won’t be surprised if we get Bradberry via a trade. Taylor Britt would be great if not. Bills will get a veteran CB post June 1 if not during draft. Obviously if Booth slides that would be the ultimate. But can’t see that happening. McDermott is strong in this area I’m Trusting The Process here. 

On 4/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, whorlnut said:

I’m telling you all…Dane Jackson has 2

years under McD and his numbers aren’t bad at all. They like him.

Agreed. I think them looking at CB isn’t about Jackson, it’s about uncertainty around White. 

My money is they draft a kid who can play CB AND safety. If White comes back and over the next few years shows no ill signs from his ACL, then the rookie stays at Safety where he replaces Hyde or Poyer. If White isn’t the same player athletically, then he moves to safety (where he would be elite as hell) and the rookie stays at CB where he is paired with under-rated-as-hell Dane Jackson.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, KDIGGZ said:

I had a dream that was gave the Giants a 7th for Bradberry and they were going to pay a portion of his salary for this year to make it work. So it's as good as done, put it in the books. I outscooped Adam Schefter on this one! 😝

Did you had  to put on a clean pair of underwear when you woke up ? 

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Gross… a safety and LB in the first two rounds is probably worst case scenario.

I don’t think it’s worst case, I think it’s most likely. Bills struggled badly vs power run teams, even with AJ Klein in the lineup. I imagine they would want to use a base 3 LBs more vs these teams. They have 3 run first teams in the division, and seem to play Baltimore, Indy, and Tennessee every year.

Then if they can’t agree on a long term deal with Edmunds, or he doesn’t take the next step this year, boom his replacement is already on the roster.

I’d take a round 2 LB who will get meaningful snaps over a 4th string WR, backup RB, 3rd string TE, or 4th OG. 

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would just like to see them over address it just a tad

Sign a vet

Draft one high

Take a developmental one later

The developmental guy will get poached off the practice squad and either the vet or rookie sits behind Dane Jackson. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

On 3/18/2022 at 5:09 AM, GreggTX said:

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I'm sure Beane is working on it, but the situation is severe. That would be far and away the worst starting outside CB's  anywhere. Do we draft a CB on day 1? I sure hope so, but that won't be anywhere near enough. We need to address this now. I don't think having 2 rookies starting at outside CB is the answer either. We also don't know when White will be ready, but it will be December at the earliest, I would guess. We also don't know if White will need time to fully recover or IF he will fully recover. I suspect he'll be his old self befotr too long.

Put yourself in Beane's seat. What moves would you be trying to pull off that are realistic? 

I'm looking at the Panthers CB stable and I could see a better CB than Levi shaking loose. Can we afford that? I also like Kyler Gordon, but I don't really follow college football. I know he's scheme versatile and a great tackler. Great short area burst. You thoughts?

U realize Jackson has never givin up a TD in his young career ? The kid can play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t think it’s worst case, I think it’s most likely. Bills struggled badly vs power run teams, even with AJ Klein in the lineup. I imagine they would want to use a base 3 LBs more vs these teams. They have 3 run first teams in the division, and seem to play Baltimore, Indy, and Tennessee every year.

Then if they can’t agree on a long term deal with Edmunds, or he doesn’t take the next step this year, boom his replacement is already on the roster.

I’d take a round 2 LB who will get meaningful snaps over a 4th string WR, backup RB, 3rd string TE, or 4th OG. 

The developmental guy will get poached off the practice squad and either the vet or rookie sits behind Dane Jackson. 

Considering their heavy DL concentration in FA,  I suspect that's where they put most of the blame for those problems. 

They're basically a 4-2-5 defense at this point.  That R2 LB isn't likely to play all that much barring a trade or injury.  

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve already addressed their defensive line in a gigantic way…. I imagine they feel they’ll be more stout against those running teams this season…. And just about every game they lost last season was because their offense struggled..… mostly due to their ***** offensive line. 

Sorry bro. Back to back picks of Safety and LB is ridiculous and I’m sure even Josh Allen would be shaking his head.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Considering their heavy DL concentration in FA,  I suspect that's where they put most of the blame for those problems. 

They're basically a 4-2-5 defense at this point.  That R2 LB isn't likely to play all that much barring a trade or injury.  

They could also love Dodson, which I think is also very possible. 

It will be interesting, my friends. OG might be the most likely but I still think LB is a dark horse. 

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve already addressed their defensive line in a gigantic way…. I imagine they feel they’ll be more stout against those running teams this season…. And just about every game they lost last season was because their offense struggled..… mostly due to their ***** offensive line. 

Sorry bro. Back to back picks of Safety and LB is ridiculous and I’m sure even Josh Allen would be shaking his head.

Totally agree. Joe B was on a podcast the other day fully admitting they have spent a lot on defense and it might be time to add long term to the offense. People get too worked up about guys like crowder, Johnson, saffold, and Howard. They are on one year deals and each of those positions can be addressed for the long term…

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They could also love Dodson, which I think is also very possible. 

It will be interesting, my friends. OG might be the most likely but I still think LB is a dark horse. 

Don't get me wrong. I think they're likely to draft a LB and might pick a S as well. I just think those positions fit better as day three developmental prospects.

I think most of us expect a CB by the end of day 2 at the latest,  but overall,  I expect this draft will lean toward the offensive side,  especially after their DL investment in FA and with a rookie OC. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.