Stafford / Cousins both looking for new $40-45 million / yr contracts

Inigo Montoya

At the time of the signing I thought the Allen deal was a complete steal for the organization, now I think it's just ridiculously low.

What a great deal for the Bills and you know what?  Allen won't be salty about it one bit.   He is all about the Bills winning championships.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

At the time of the signing I thought the Allen deal was a complete steal for the organization, now I think it's just ridiculously low.

What a great deal for the Bills and you know what?  Allen won't be salty about it one bit.   He is all about the Bills winning championships.

Geez, now you've got me thinking WE need a GoFundMe to 'top up' JA#17. 🥺

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

This is going to be unsustainable.  With a cap of 200 million how can you justify a 1/5 to a 1/4 of team just to one player, let alone if the person gets injured

because without that one player you cant win.  you can have 21 other amazing players. without a QB you aren't going to win.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m glad we signed Josh early, thereby saving serious money. I know how crazy that sounds given the size of his deal, but it’s true. Now, let’s do the same with Diggs. 

These guys who think that just because they are NEXT means they should get the MOST, might just be correct to an insane degree. I’ll take Josh over these guys all day long. 

Can you imagine trying to give him an extension after the last two games he played?!?! We certainly lucked out on that one....

Beane gambled and it paid off...👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The QB contract inflation continues...

Here's a blurb about Stafford that mentions Cousins; 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/2679/matthew-stafford

Here's a link to an article about the Cousin's negotiations;  

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/minnesota-vikings/2022/03/05/6222ba8246163f53b78b456f.html

It is expected to be a 3-4 year deal for Stafford.  Makes Josh's 6 year extension at an average of  $42 million a year look better every day.  I think this is going to be a recurring theme as more and more QBs take their turn at the NFL QB money trough.

Inflation bruh, times are hard.

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Can you imagine trying to give him an extension after the last two games he played?!?! We certainly lucked out on that one....

Beane gambled and it paid off...👍

I know it’s unpopular (and extremely painful), but that last game vs the Chiefs might have been the best football game I’ve ever witnessed. Josh to Gabe just kept getting better and better. But then…..  😱:censored:

You have to be able to put the ending aside, but even that just goes to make it more memorable. Hopefully, a few Super Bowl trophies from now, we will look back on that game as the the last step of our growing into a truly Championship team. 

• Agree 1

Who in their right mind pays Cousins a penny more than he makes now? he has proven to be a stat padding low success type, like Dak…, both under achievers for what they get paid.
There are a bunch of under achieving QB that should absolutely not get paid more, Kyler Murray, cough cough, Baker Mayfield, etc etc.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The QB contract inflation continues...

Here's a blurb about Stafford that mentions Cousins; 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/2679/matthew-stafford

Here's a link to an article about the Cousin's negotiations;  

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/minnesota-vikings/2022/03/05/6222ba8246163f53b78b456f.html

It is expected to be a 3-4 year deal for Stafford.  Makes Josh's 6 year extension at an average of  $42 million a year look better every day.  I think this is going to be a recurring theme as more and more QBs take their turn at the NFL QB money trough.

Stafford can make the argument 

Mr “You Like That” can’t 

I really like Stafford, but....

At this point in his career, $40-45M? He just isn't that guy.

The list of guys in the NFL today worth $45M per based on a $208M salary cap is very short. Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers. Those are the only guys I don't hesitate with. I have Herbert and Burrow as a coin flip as to whether you gambled that kind  money this early. 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There were a lot of people on TSW who were all about Kirk Cousins in 2016-2017.

The drum beat reached it's highest level in winter 2018 when we were sitting at 21 & 22 and they thought we should sign Cousins for mega bucks & use our draft picks on other positions.  Every time I'd see a sign Cousins thread I'd scream NO multiple times at the computer.

Cousins has always looked better on paper than on the field.  That's why he never wins enough games.  

I wouldn’t pay either of them that.  Stafford was not great this year, yet he got it done.  He’s a fringe top 10 guy, right there with Cousins.  So I get why people would be interested in having a guy like that to get them over the hump, but you have to have a helluva team to be “just a QB away”.   I don’t know if the Rams really have a choice, they gave up the farm to get him, that would be too much to have him there for a short time, even if he did get the ring.  I don’t think anybody that needs a QB would be considered instant contenders with Cousins.  

The only situation where I see a team that’s just a QB away from being a serious contender is Indy.  Cousins would be a great fit for them and in theory, they could make his demands work.. kinda hope they don’t haha. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Who in their right mind pays Cousins a penny more than he makes now? he has proven to be a stat padding low success type, like Dak…, both under achievers for what they get paid.

I never thought about those two in the same sentence, but it's perfect.   They are underachievers.  

If you're a KC fan, if you're a Bills fan, if you're a Packers fan, if you were a Saints fan, with the game on the line, you think, "my QB's got this."  If you're a Cowboys fan or a Vikings fan, you think, "come on, man, get the job done this time."   Their good numbers don't add up to great quarterbacking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If each year the % of money allocated to each position rises, then it would seem like the only reason to not rush signing extensions would be player health and desire to take advantage of rookie contracts. Buffalo has been exceptional in this area, specifically with Josh. His deal will feel like a discount in a few years. Tre being a potential example of why you wait, but how can we really say this? Do you risk alienating a player and build a bad culture by always milking the rookie deal as long as possible? Some teams do. This brings me to an interesting hypothetical. Say they never extended White, activated his 5th year option, and he suffers this injury. What do you do now? I imagine we would have franchised him with no injury if we went with the above. No idea what would happen now. 

Edited by KzooMike

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m glad we signed Josh early, thereby saving serious money. I know how crazy that sounds given the size of his deal, but it’s true. Now, let’s do the same with Diggs. 

These guys who think that just because they are NEXT means they should get the MOST, might just be correct to an insane degree. I’ll take Josh over these guys all day long. 

The ravens are probably seeing this sweating bullets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

The ravens are probably seeing this sweating bullets.

True, and they have a much tougher call to make. He’s NOT Josh, and he missed the end of last season…..for the exact reason we all suspected he’d miss time. Hope the price of QB’s keeps rising, now that we have OURS! Cripple those rosters with cap problems! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Magox said:

until 2-3 years from now when he'll be considered underpaid

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Kirk cousins making 40M+

Get ‘er done Beane as Joshs’ backup

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Cousins is elite at making money in his career. Guy has banked $161 million already for being totally mediocre. 

Hey, good for him. It's a business, as we're often told.

As a Harvard Grad I would hope by those standards Fitzy has made $250M

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Baker will be lucky if he gets 20. Lamar can make somewhat of an argument because he won MVP his second year. 

But Lamar wants to be a Billionaire.  He needs to be paid so he can be one.  If only he would talk with the team actually trying to pay him?

8 hours ago, nucci said:

Yes in a couple of years Allen's contract will look better....until he asks for a new one.

Allen is a smart kid.  He already has life changing money for his and his next generation.  While it is true that most professional athletes should “get all they can” it’s a little bit different for the true superstars who get at least one huge contract and want to win championships and establish a legacy above anything else.  Josh is that kind of guy.  Anyone who thinks he would hold the Bills hostage for more money in a few years is a bit naive, I think — unless something happens within the organization to make him feel differently about being here.

I also believe 100% that Beane and the Pegulas would not allow a situation to persist in which Josh is being paid significantly less than his peers.

14 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Cousins is elite at making money in his career. Guy has banked $161 million already for being totally mediocre. 

I would absolutely not call Cousins mediocre. He's better than that.

But in no way good enough to get that kind of contract. He's a bit above average. He has indeed been excellent at getting paid, and pretty good as a QB. If he's my QB, I find a way to draft a guy who might legitimately become a great QB.

7 hours ago, eball said:

Allen is a smart kid.  He already has life changing money for his and his next generation.  While it is true that most professional athletes should “get all they can” it’s a little bit different for the true superstars who get at least one huge contract and want to win championships and establish a legacy above anything else.  Josh is that kind of guy.  Anyone who thinks he would hold the Bills hostage for more money in a few years is a bit naive, I think — unless something happens within the organization to make him feel differently about being here.

I also believe 100% that Beane and the Pegulas would not allow a situation to persist in which Josh is being paid significantly less than his peers.

I agree , which means in 2-3 years he'll get an extension or restructure. Lotta new TV money and gambling money coming in soon. Cap will be increasing....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I agree , which means in 2-3 years he'll get an extension or restructure. Lotta new TV money and gambling money coming in soon. Cap will be increasing....

In the NFL it is never a problem when you have a stud QB in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

Kirk cousins making 40M+

19 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for Stafford to ask for something in that area.  He's been a very good QB for along time & just won a SB.  Cousins...😆

19 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wrote this here Friday:

"Cousins gets crapped on a lot, but in the past 7 seasons, he has averaged 4223 yards and 29 TDs vs 11 INTs and completed 67% of his passes.  In his last 4 seasons, at Minn, he has had a QB rating of less than 100 (99.7) only once and has been a Pro Bowler twice.  He's a top 10 QB all day.

4000/30 would have put Baker in top 10 for both categories last season--other than Burrow and Herbert, the QBs ahead of him making tons more money."

Stafford (last 7 full seasons): 4291 yards per season, 27 TDs, 12 ints....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Cousins gets crapped on a lot, but in the past 7 seasons, he has averaged 4223 yards and 29 TDs vs 11 INTs and completed 67% of his passes.  In his last 4 seasons, at Minn, he has had a QB rating of less than 100 (99.7) only once and has been a Pro Bowler twice.  He's a top 10 QB all day.

4000/30 would have put Baker in top 10 for both categories last season--other than Burrow and Herbert, the QBs ahead of him making tons more money."

While I generally agree that Cousins gets crapped on too much..... it's amazing how quickly Bills fans forget what it was like to have bad QB play and then disparage good QB play as soon as we ourselves found a great one..... the point that folks are making that the QB market is bad at recognising tiers in the same way as other markets is a fair one. 

The reason the QB market is broken is because the demand outstrips supply and it is really difficult to compensate in other areas for a bad Quarterback. I'd argue in the league at the moment there are 4 real top guys then about 8 or 9 very good guys then maybe another 4 or 5 capable game managers and then a huge drop off. The only other position in the league where I would argue the gap between the best starter and the 32nd best starter is so wide is Tight End and that is just such a less important position in contrast. You can compensate for bad TE play and win 13 games (as the Bills basically did in 2020 before Knox broke out some).

For the other positions the gap is not as wide and again you can compensate to some extent with scheme. If you have bad receivers you can build a passing game that features tight ends and backs. If you have bad corners you can give them lots of safety help. If you have bad edge rushers you can blitz and get interior pressure.... but there is no scheme answer for bad Quarterback play. You can hide it for a game or two here or there but eventually it hamstrings you as we saw with Nick Mullens in San Fran a year or two ago. Shanahan could make him look serviceable for 2 or 3 weeks but once teams had film... that soon disappeared.  

That is why the market isn't very good at distinguishing between Josh Allen and Kirk Cousins. Because the market recognises that the difference between Kirk Cousins and Sam Darnold is the difference between being a playoff team or a team drafting in the top 6. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one cares.

No one wants to pay Kirk Cousins 40M a year to watch him come up small when the game matters the most.  

To watch him become all scared and tree like in the pocket when the pass rush is coming on that clutch 3rd down.  

He’s under .500 win% the last 2 years.  He’s had at least 2 very good Wrs every season and a great run game to lean on.  His defense had 76 sacks last season (2nd in the nfl).  

His record in minny:

8-7-1 2018

10-6-2019

7-9 2020

8-8 2021

His career record 59-59-2

its his team.  Lead them then and show them how to be winners.  Oh wait….he’s never been a winner.

How many GW super bowl drives has he led?  

He’s a good qb…..he’s just not good enough to lead a team to the SB while he’s getting paid crazy $ and crippling the cap.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There were a lot of people on TSW who were all about Kirk Cousins in 2016-2017.

Yeah.  We were a meh team with meh QBs trying to become a better than average team.  

funny though:  

Tyrod Taylor -26-25-1 as a starter.  
Capt Kirk- 59-59-2

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I generally agree that Cousins gets crapped on too much..... it's amazing how quickly Bills fans forget what it was like to have bad QB play and then disparage good QB play as soon as we ourselves found a great one..... the point that folks are making that the QB market is bad at recognising tiers in the same way as other markets is a fair one. 

The reason the QB market is broken is because the demand outstrips supply and it is really difficult to compensate in other areas for a bad Quarterback. I'd argue in the league at the moment there are 4 real top guys then about 8 or 9 very good guys then maybe another 4 or 5 capable game managers and then a huge drop off. The only other position in the league where I would argue the gap between the best starter and the 32nd best starter is so wide is Tight End and that is just such a less important position in contrast. You can compensate for bad TE play and win 13 games (as the Bills basically did in 2020 before Knox broke out some).

For the other positions the gap is not as wide and again you can compensate to some extent with scheme. If you have bad receivers you can build a passing game that features tight ends and backs. If you have bad corners you can give them lots of safety help. If you have bad edge rushers you can blitz and get interior pressure.... but there is no scheme answer for bad Quarterback play. You can hide it for a game or two here or there but eventually it hamstrings you as we saw with Nick Mullens in San Fran a year or two ago. Shanahan could make him look serviceable for 2 or 3 weeks but once teams had film... that soon disappeared.  

That is why the market isn't very good at distinguishing between Josh Allen and Kirk Cousins. Because the market recognises that the difference between Kirk Cousins and Sam Darnold is the difference between being a playoff team or a team drafting in the top 6. 

Good points.  

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No one cares.

No one wants to pay Kirk Cousins 40M a year to watch him come up small when the game matters the most.  

To watch him become all scared and tree like in the pocket when the pass rush is coming on that clutch 3rd down.  

He’s under .500 win% the last 2 years.  He’s had at least 2 very good Wrs every season and a great run game to lean on.  His defense had 76 sacks last season (2nd in the nfl).  

His record in minny:

8-7-1 2018

10-6-2019

7-9 2020

8-8 2021

His career record 59-59-2

its his team.  Lead them then and show them how to be winners.  Oh wait….he’s never been a winner.

How many GW super bowl drives has he led?  

He’s a good qb…..he’s just not good enough to lead a team to the SB while he’s getting paid crazy $ and crippling the cap.  

Neither is Rodgers. 

The Packers are paying him (so far) 33.5 million per playoff win on his current contract and they now ant to pay him even more for that.

In fact, "consecutive season NFL MVP and  Leader of the Year has a grand total or 1 more playoff win than Cousins in the past 3 seasons.  What are they paying Rodgers for?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Good points.  

Neither is Rodgers. 

The Packers are paying him (so far) 33.5 million per playoff win on his current contract and they now ant to pay him even more for that.

In fact, "consecutive season NFL MVP and  Leader of the Year has a grand total or 1 more playoff win than Cousins in the past 3 seasons.  What are they paying Rodgers for?

“Past 3 seasons”.  Lol.  Good job cutting and pasting to fit your AR agenda. 

maybe you should get on social media and start comparing the 2.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“Past 3 seasons”.  Lol.  Good job cutting and pasting to fit your AR agenda. 

maybe you should get on social media and start comparing the 2.  

I'll cut and past this:

"he’s just not good enough to lead a team to the SB while he’s getting paid crazy $ and crippling the cap". 

Based on your claim that wins are for QBs, then Rodgers would have to fit your category that I have copied and pasted.

Rodgers signed a new contract 2 years ago.  Last year, according to spotrac, he had the highest cap hit in the NFL.  1 win.

You want me to go back a few more years?  How about his 6-9-1 in 2018?  Or 2014--his Pro Bowl/All Pro/MVP year  where he "came up small when the game mattered most" vs Seattle in the NFCC.   I'll throw those if you like---to make it less "cut and paste"... 

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'll cut and past this:

"he’s just not good enough to lead a team to the SB while he’s getting paid crazy $ and crippling the cap". 

Based on your claim that wins are for QBs, then Rodgers would have to fit your category that I have copied and pasted.

Rodgers signed a new contract 2 years ago.  Last year, according to spotrac, he had the highest cap hit in the NFL.  1 win.

You want me to go back a few more years?  How about his 6-9-1 in 2018?  Or 2014--his Pro Bowl/All Pro/MVP year  where he "came up small when the game mattered most" vs Seattle in the NFCC.   I'll throw those if you like---to make it less "cut and paste"... 

yeah, you’re right.  Cousins = Rodgers.  My bad.  What was I thinking?

Hey, Cousins is OK.

There's just something missing that you can't quite put your finger on. Somehow he shrinks when the moment gets big. It's hard to really quantify that or say exactly what it is. 

Some guys can play when it gets ugly and make something happen. With Cousins it feels like once things go off script and he needs to innovate it just doesn't happen. 

He reminds me of Carson Palmer... just good enough to break your heart 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

yeah, you’re right.  Cousins = Rodgers.  My bad.  What was I thinking?

You were thinking guys who can't get their teams to the SB shouldn't be crippling their teams cap, obviously.  

Now 200 million...

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were thinking guys who can't get their teams to the SB shouldn't be crippling their teams cap, obviously.  

Now 200 million...

i never stated my opinion on Rodgers and what he’s worth.  I think he makes strange decisions and has some questionable priorities.  

The packers were actual super bowl contenders for the last 2 years.  Vegas agreed.  Being a true contender is all every team asks for.  The Vikings have never been super bowl contenders with Cousins.  Not one team cousins has ever been in has been a super bowl contender.  That’s why QBs are paid so well.  Because they have the biggest impact on the team becoming a super bowl contender.  You have to be in the conversation.  Cousins has never been in the conversation.  Ever.  

continue to fight your fight just for the sake of fighting

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

i never stated my opinion on Rodgers and what he’s worth.  I think he makes strange decisions and has some questionable priorities.  

The packers were actual super bowl contenders for the last 2 years.  Vegas agreed.  Being a true contender is all every team asks for.  The Vikings have never been super bowl contenders with Cousins.  Not one team cousins has ever been in has been a super bowl contender.  That’s why QBs are paid so well.  Because they have the biggest impact on the team becoming a super bowl contender.  You have to be in the conversation.  Cousins has never been in the conversation.  Ever.  

continue to fight your fight just for the sake of fighting

You were the one who set the bar at QB's who  "getting their team to the SB" (while not "crippling the cap") not me.  And clearly Rodgers has fallen into that category the past few years and quite possibly in years to come.  They have been paying him tons to get to the SB--crippling the cap along the way.  

I'm not comparing Cousins to Rodgers----except with this very specific metric you have offered (as a way of criticizing paying Cousins). 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were the one who set the bar at QB's who  "getting their team to the SB" (while not "crippling the cap") not me.  And clearly Rodgers has fallen into that category the past few years and quite possibly in years to come.  They have been paying him tons to get to the SB--crippling the cap along the way.  

I'm not comparing Cousins to Rodgers----except with this very specific metric you have offered (as a way of criticizing paying Cousins). 

There are stats to combat both sides of almost every debate in sports.  

My comment is the reason 99% of the world thinks kirk cousins is just a better than average guy and don’t want him on their team.  It’s the reason the Vikings took kellen mond in the 3rd round last year.  It’s the reason media is constantly advising that the Vikings be in the QB hunt this offseason.  It’s the reason why 17 people have lol’d @ my comment kirk cousins making 40M.  

You don’t even have a dog in the fight.  You just target one statement and argue for the sake of arguing.  You don’t think Kirk cousins is worth 40m per year either.  

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There are stats to combat both sides of almost every debate in sports.  

My comment is the reason 99% of the world thinks kirk cousins is just a better than average guy and don’t want him on their team.  It’s the reason the Vikings took kellen mond in the 3rd round last year.  It’s the reason media is constantly advising that the Vikings be in the QB hunt this offseason.  It’s the reason why 17 people have lol’d @ my comment kirk cousins making 40M.  

You don’t even have a dog in the fight.  You just target one statement and argue for the sake of arguing.  You don’t think Kirk cousins is worth 40m per year either.  

What other QB averaging  4200, 30 TDs and 67% with a 100+ rating is walking through the doors in Mind this season?

Anyway...It was your statement--you're crying to me because, as it turns out,  It damns Rodgers as much as it does Cousins--for the same reason.  You didn't think this through, obviously.  I'm free to point that out.

Pick your metrics more carefully next time I guess.

Edited by Mr. WEO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.